Colorado Kitchen - Vailed.

I heard Chef Gillian Clark on NPR yesterday; I forget what show.
Thanks for posting this. She speaks in short essay form about the emotional-healing power of food and the limitations of her (or anyone's) cooking to turn around diners' blues. She has very kind observations from her little kitchen windows. Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5158955

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Gillian - hard G. Chef Clark spoke about her name (and how it, in part, led her to go by simply "Chef" most of the time) in the egullet chat she did a year or so ago.
You can read the chat here and about our eGullet Dinner that followed the chat. (Sniff, sniff- my first PayPal payment required event.) Edited by hillvalley

Thinking about going back this Sat night.  Has anyone been for dinner recently? What's good on the menu, and in particular, is the Pot Roast back?

No question about it. The aforementioned "Sweet Cheeks" - pan-fried sweetbreads and veal cheeks in an apple cider glaze are a winner. The cheeks are packed full of meatiness and melt in your mouth, and the sweetbreads have a crisp coating and a soft interior. You'll want to lick the glaze off the plate.

Now before people start writing on this thread about how much they don't like the service at this place, let me just beat them to the punch. Service isn't the strong suit here. But you know what? I don't care. I come here for the delicious home-cooked food (I mean c'mon! There are just two people in the kitchen!) and laid-back atmosphere - not to feel pampered. Yet I still always seem to leave satisfied.

No question about it.  The aforementioned "Sweet Cheeks" - pan-fried sweetbreads and veal cheeks in an apple cider glaze are a winner.  The cheeks are packed full of meatiness and melt in your mouth, and the sweetbreads have a crisp coating and a soft interior.  You'll want to lick the glaze off the plate.

Colorado Kitchen is my ratty Palena :lol:

I know that what I'm getting is the work of an individual, and like Palena the service is usually dealing with (too much) volume. But, hey, what can you do?

Edited by Meaghan

No question about it.  The aforementioned "Sweet Cheeks" - pan-fried sweetbreads and veal cheeks in an apple cider glaze are a winner.  The cheeks are packed full of meatiness and melt in your mouth, and the sweetbreads have a crisp coating and a soft interior.  You'll want to lick the glaze off the plate.

Now before people start writing on this thread about how much they don't like the service at this place, let me just beat them to the punch.  Service isn't the strong suit here.  But you know what?  I don't care.  I come here for the delicious home-cooked food (I mean c'mon!  There are just two people in the kitchen!) and laid-back atmosphere - not to feel pampered.  Yet I still always seem to leave satisfied.

Colorado Kitchen is one of the most important restaurants in the United States. My prediction is that Gillian will soon get the national recognition she deserves, and my fear is that she'll eventually be tempted to take the wrong fork in the road.

Is there a way to get rich and successful in this business without losing your soul?

Stay tuned.

Rocks

Colorado Kitchen is one of the most important restaurants in the United States.  My prediction is that Gillian will soon get the national recognition she deserves, and my fear is that she'll eventually be tempted to take the wrong fork in the road.

Is there a way to get rich and successful in this business without losing your soul?

Stay tuned.

Rocks

i'm sorry don, but i have to disagree with you here. there are soooo many colorado kitchens out there all throughout the country. to say it is "one of the most important restaurants in the US" is total hyperbole. its a decent neighborhood restaurant in a neighborhood that craved a decent restaurant. nothing more.

I don't know the basis for Rocks' opinion, but I do know that for me Colorado Kitchen is something special. I think part of my attachment is cultural. As an african-american, I love to see that sister in the kitchen doing her thing, and some of the food she prepares reminds me of my childhood. As a human being, i'm glad to see the diversity of people walking through the door and breaking bread together. I like the surprises and adventure and passion (the rosemary creme brulee that I savored, even though I usually can't stand the stuff), the efficiency (have you seen the size of that kitchen?!), the recipes and customer feedback on the bathroom walls, the location (near 16th street to the west, sketchy parts of georgia avenue to the east, and just down the street from the corner store) and on and on. I know that I am biased when it comes to this place. I fell in love with it long ago. Nevertheless, when I think of it, I can't imagine calling it just some random, dime-a-dozen, decent neighborhood spot. And now, I shall go to sleep.

They must be doing quite a brisk Sunday dinner business.  I arrived at 8:30 last night only to find out they were closed since they had sold out of most everything.  I really need to start eating dinner earlier.

I've eaten lunch at CK a bunch of times, but tried to get into Brunch for the first time today. I arrived around 1:45p to be greeted with "we're not taking any more names." There were several bar spaces open, a few cleared tables and no line out front. The waif repeated the same phrase again "we're not taking any more names" without a "sorry" or an offer of additional information -- so I just looked into her tired beyond belief eyes, said thanks and left. It’s like having a flight delay become more aggravating because you’re getting no information from your airline.

Luckily I was by myself and didn't have a dining companion to apologize to or explain this inhospitable/weird greeting. I'd purposely arrived late-ish (Brunch is listed as running until 2:30p) to give Type-A folks a clear lane -- sure running out of provisions happens at CK from time-to-time – so staff might be prepared to offer a more positive spin when turning away potential diners (e.g., we’re so sorry, but……hope we’ll see you again soon)….

Does anyone know if CK's taking reservations for either seats or food (like the pizza place in NY that requires an advance reservation for dough)? Or, they could hang a flag out front so we’d know to forgetaboutit before hunting for parking in the neighborhood.

Speaking of pizza I drove west and ended up on a stool at 2Amy’s back bar and got served a great consolation prize lunch with a neat dessert chosen by Debbie the bartender (Strawberry ice cream & cappuccino).

I've eaten lunch at CK a bunch of times, but tried to get into Brunch for the first time today. I arrived around 1:45p to be greeted with "we're not taking any more names." There were several bar spaces open, a few cleared tables and no line out front. The waif repeated the same phrase again "we're not taking any more names" without a "sorry" or an offer of additional information --  so I just looked into her tired beyond belief eyes, said thanks and left. It’s like having a flight delay become more aggravating because you’re getting no information from your airline. 

Luckily I was by myself and didn't have a dining companion to apologize to or explain this inhospitable/weird greeting. I'd purposely arrived late-ish (Brunch is listed as running until 2:30p) to give Type-A folks a clear lane -- sure running out of provisions happens at CK from time-to-time  – so staff might be prepared to offer a more positive spin when turning away potential diners (e.g., we’re so sorry, but……hope we’ll see you again soon)….

Lydia,

Our waif is beleagured Paloma who spent the previous 2 hours and 45 minutes as first line defense. Paloma spends her Sunday mornings listening to all the sad tales of people who can't wait their turn, heading off the adults that zoom past her to steal a seat when she's taking names, and having her hair blown back from the yelling of not letting the card playing two top sit at a four top. At too young an age she has seen the ugly side of adults. But every Sunday she shows up with a smile on her face, and luckily she is wise enough to know it's not about her.

You were correct with the "tired beyond belief eyes", and I'm sorry you weren't given more information you needed to understand the situation.

What happened today was there was a waiting list of 9 tables at 1:45. In order to serve everyone that had been waiting and still be able to close down the kitchen before 3:00, in order to fully turn it around at 5:00, I had to make the unpopular decision to lock the door.

Please come back and try us again.

Robin

Went there for brunch yesterday with my family...2 1/2 year old boy. We were a bit hesitant given the fact that she has warning signs about keeping kids in their chairs. BUt we had a great time, they were very welcoming and the food was fantastic. Some of the best fried catfish I've ever had.

Thinking about going back this Sat night.  Has anyone been for dinner recently? What's good on the menu, and in particular, is the Pot Roast back?

I had a great meal at CK on Sat night. We started with the foie gras toasts, which came with a poached pear. I hadn't anticpated that the foie gras would be cooked, but it was excellent. A little pricey at $12.50, but you get 4-5 toasts with a generous amount of foie gras. For the entree, I had the meatloaf with noodles and hungarian paprika sauce. This was a great, rich, homey dish and I loved every minute of it. My husband had the steak, and he cleaned his plate as well. It was cooked, medium rare, as requested. I had been tempted by the steak, but my last steak at CK in Sept. was not good-- don't remember the specifics now. However, my husband, who is pretty picky about steak, said it was excellent. Our friend had the fish, which he appeared to enjoy too. Desserts: pineapple upside down cake is my husband's usual dessert at CK, which is just swears by. I had the marbled pound cake sundae which was huge. I was way too full for it. Overall, great visit, and reminded me that we should go more often.

Please come back and try us again.
Before this week gets completely away from me (it was only a four day week!), I wanted to report back on my first CK brunch last Saturday afternoon. I walked in around 1p to about a third of the tables empty and no waiting list – “wow” I thought, “Saturdays are cakewalks.” Not ten minutes later, all the tables appeared full and the place was hopping. The staff was working hard, but didn’t appear to have been tortured (by children of all ages) as on a previous Sunday. The servers are young, smart and interested in giving good service to their tables – they aren’t ready for dinner service at CityZen, but CK’s not that kind of place.

OK, I’d heard about the donuts and Shrimp/Garlic Cheese Grits and they are worth the weekend trek. I ended up packing home half the Pear-Cranberry Crisp -- it was a great breakfast the next morning. Note that the Crisp is made to order so treat it like the Bread Pudding Soufflé at New Orleans’ Commander’s Palace and order it early in your meal – hadn’t had time for it at lunch, but it’s now my favorite dessert.

Weekends at CK are a different vibe from Friday lunch (more families, couples and, yes, busier). What a treat – it’s just too bad there isn’t a nearby fallback restaurant to pick-up overflow on weekends.

Two questions:

What time does CK open for dinner?

How long should I budget, time-wise?

I'm thinking about stopping in tomorrow night but I have a meeting to get to and I don't want to rush if I don't have to...

Thanks!

Jennifer

Click

According to the site above they are not open on Tuesday nights for dinner.

Late during their Saturday brunch I made it to Colordao Kitchen for the first time, with a huge appetite for the famous shrimp and grits and donuts.

I wasn't treated to any of the rumored rude service, bad attitudes or long waits. Unfortunately, I also wasn't treated to any shrimp and grits or donuts as they were out of both. Or my second choice of biscuits.

No problem - I ended up with a sweet crisp cornmeal waffle, short plump sausages, perfectly poached eggs over flavorful ham on my eggs benedict.

I confirmed that they did have the also-famous Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Although stuffed I had to have a slice. And it was dense and rich and sweet, just like you'd want it.

Too many breakfast places are either chains with consistently tasteless food or greasy spoons that show no care for what is coming out of the kitchen or fancy brunch spots that are a bit too formal and expensive for what you're getting on the plate. CK has just the right mix of obviously careful cooking (how else do you explain those etherially poached eggs or the texture of that cake?) and casual ambience.

Hopefully, next time I can get out of bed and in from the 'burbs in time to get the shrimp and grits and conuts.

Thanks!  That solves that problem...

i would call first to confirm they are open on tuesday. i was there last night and believe the flipped sign on the back of the door said they were closed mondays and tuesdays (and open for lunch on friday).

if you have the pineapple upside down cake for brunch it might remind you of pancakes, really good ones.

My wife and I went to brunch for the second time this past Saturday as well. We live in Arlington so, it takes about 30 min to drive in and we usually get there about 15 mins before opening. This has become my favorite place for brunch. This past weekend I had the eggcelent eggs benedict, and my wife had the waffle. We started with 3 doughnuts which could me a meal by itself, we always resist the urge to order six. Colorado Kitchen I, think also has the best grits in DC. Next time we will try sunday, i have heard good things about the French Toast.

Keep up the good work Gillian Clark!

Headed to CK for dinner last night. We got there a little on the late side (somewhere between 8:45 and 9:00) so unfortunately some dishes were sold out by then. Understanding the economics of this small restaurant, it was rather to forgive--although I was sad to not have the pork chop OR the pineapple upside down cake. <_<

My date had the Boston bibb lettuce salad with golden raisin viniagrette; I passed on having an appetizer so as to save room for dessert (I found the "small food dishes" like ham and gruyere napolean more appealing than the salads, etc., but I knew it plus an entree would kill my appetite for dessert). My entree was the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. Although the chicken doesn't give Palena's a run for its money, it's still good and I cleaned my plate. He had the new preparation of CK's meatloaf and it's a winner. I forget how this dish is described on the menu...global influence? international? Something. Anyway, the gravy is replaced with curry and there is a tasty side of rice alongside. Blanking on what veg came with, but no matter - this is a great entree choice.

For dessert, we had the chocolate tart (cooked to order). Simply awesome. A small round chocolate disk topped with confectioner's sugar, the inside is like pudding. Yum.

A note on our service: it was really great. Attentive, warm and both knowledgable and effusive about the menu.

She also joined us in marveling at the weird situation taking place at the table adjacent to ours. One of the two people at the table developed a case of the nods after a long trip to the restroom. Before she began her series of mid-sentence and mid-chew naps, she took out a small wand-like perfume container and made an impressive spectacle of applying it to her neck, behind her ears, to both wrists and then most of her exposed chest. She tried to explain to her date, absorbed text messaging when he wasn't rummaging through her purse, how much she liked the fragrance, but the message did not seem to register. When she would nod off, he would watch with a peaceful smile on his face and only wake her (gently) when she came close to knocking over her bottle of soda. Fascinating.

According to Chef & Robin's eLetter (below) CK will be closed for brunch this Saturday March 11th, but open for dinner.

Also note DR's comment (far below) from the Corduroy thread about a recent attempt at Sunday dinner.

From the CK eLetter the POT LUCK, Scallop Beignets and Cobb Salad sound really yum!! As of today, their "new" web URL is still under construction (good luck -- looking forward to seeing it).

Hey Folks,

Well, we're hurtling toward spring and stuff is popping out of the ground, swimming in the sea and hatching on farms.  Chef's getting ready for spring time and bringing to the menu all of that wonderful food that comes with the change of seasons.

How about a classic Cobb Salad, Scallop Beignets, and a new twist on Meatloaf.  Chef continues to honor the food of New Orleans with her take on TurDucKen.  She's stuffing the savory mix of meat into a flaky pastry. 

And you won't want to miss the new menu item that has had Chef wringing her hands and wracking her brain; and has had Robin shopping the kitchen stores for the right vessel.  Come in for a little POT LUCK.  In limited supply every night is Chef's culinary tight rope walk.  Maybe its Scallop Stuffed Quail, or Grilled Lamb Chops w/ Wild Mushrooms.  The Pot Luck is like being at the "Chef's Table" without having to sit in the kitchen...WOW.

Two things to put on your calendar:  Robin & Chef are also hoping you join us for dinner on March 9th.  We're participating in Dining Our for Life--the program run by Food & Friends.  Heck,  check their website  www.foodandfriends.org   You'll find a list of all the participating restuarants.  If you don't Dine for Life with us, eat at one of the other participating places.  Thanks in advance for your support of this important organization.  Also, Saturday, March 11th we will be closed for brunch.  Join us for dinner at 5:00.

See Ya Soon,

Chef & Robin

Colorado Kitchen

5515 Colorado Ave. NW at 14th and Kennedy Streets

Wed-Sat 5pm - 10pm, Sun 5pm - 9pm

Fri lunch 11:30 - 2:30, Sat & Sun brunch 11 - 2:30

202/545-8280

www.coloradokitchen.biz

And, it's probably best to call before driving over on weekends...
Good thing you didn't try and have dinner at Colorado Kitchen last night - they didn't even open because they had run out of food altogether.  <_<

She also joined us in marveling at the weird situation taking place at the table adjacent to ours.  One of the two people at the table developed a case of the nods after a long trip to the restroom.  Before she began her series of mid-sentence and mid-chew naps, she took out a small wand-like perfume container and made an impressive spectacle of applying it to her neck, behind her ears, to both wrists and then most of her exposed chest.  She tried to explain to her date, absorbed text messaging when he wasn't rummaging through her purse, how much she liked the fragrance, but the message did not seem to register.  When she would nod off, he would watch with a peaceful smile on his face and only wake her (gently) when she came close to knocking over her bottle of soda.  Fascinating.

Why is it we hear about EVERYTHING and not a sole lets us in on this one!?!?! I can't wait until Hannah works again to find out about this one.

Robin

First time trying brunch on a Sunday, and as always it was excellent. They seem to be a little overwhelmed yesterday, as the food was coming out pretty slow. Anyways, all I can say is Low Country Eggs Benedict. This has to be the most creative brunch dish ever. It was cornbread, smothered with sloppy Joe toped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce! Delicious!

From today's eNewsletter: CK is taking RESERVATIONS for Easter Brunch (no dinner being served that day) see seating times below. Also, they'll be closed on Mother's Day. Michael Landrum take note - a "reservations on superspecial days policy" may help conserve fighting strength.

Has anyone had the Asparagus, Goat Cheese & Lamb Chop on the spring menu?

Is it only on the dinner menu?

Hey folks,

March madness has come and gone and tourists are filling the Tidal Basin.  We all know that means its time for Chef's Spring Menu.

She's got a meatloaf that even Moses would love.  Crayfish cakes, fried squid, chicken a la king, a wild new savory tart.  Asparagus, goat cheese, and lamb chops are just some of the great food featured this season.

Come in and get a load of this new menu and our new fascinating selection of beer and wine and you'll wish they'd add that hour back to the clock to give you more time to enjoy Spring time at Colorado Kitchen.

Easter is just a few days away so make your reservations NOW.  We'll be taking reservations for Easter Sunday only.  Seatings will be limited so please plan ahead and be sure and call us to cancel should your plans change.  You'll be able to join us with your party of no more than 6 at 11, 11:30, 1, 1:30, 3 and finally at 3:30.  We won't be serving dinner that night.  Also we will not be open for Mother's Day this year.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

Colorado Kitchen

202/545-8280

www.coloradokitchen.biz

Also, they'll be closed on Mother's Day.

From yesterday's eNewsletter:

Overall, Colorado Kitchen will be closed:

- Sunday, May 14th thru Thursday, May 18th

- No lunch Friday, May 19th, but open for dinner

- Thursday, May 25th

Didn't report earlier, but we were able to get a reservation for Easter Sunday Brunch and had a nice, relaxed meal - the staff seemed more relaxed too.

After reading this newsletter, I'm looking forward to the salads, small foods and fresh corn.

Hey Everyone,

The corn is green  But while we wait until Chef's favorite time of year when the smell of fresh corn being pulled clean dominates her little kitchen, there is still so much to enjoy.

This time of year is the best for young spring lamb.  And Chef will be roasting it slowly with rosemary and little creamer potatoes.  Buffalo will be back.  She'll take the hangar off of that big beast and marinate it Korean style before she slaps it on the hot grill. 

Chef also plans to include some new cool salads and small foods like a Chick pea salad and steamed shrimp.  When we can get them we'll also be serving Soft Shell Crabs. 

We sure hope you come in and join us and see what has sprung this late spring at the Kitchen.

There's a lot going on in a couple of weeks, so unfortunately we will not be open this year for Mother's Day (May 14th).  Colorado Kitchen will be closed from May 14 thru Thursday, May 18th.  We'll be open for dinner Friday, May 19th and resume our regular hours for the weekend.  But hold on to your hats because Spring means big time Mommy duty for Chef and another closing on Thursday, May 25th.

Mark your calendars and be sure to squeeze in a little time to stop in for some great food and to sip one of our great new wine or beer offerings.

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Chef & Robin

Colorado Kitchen

202/545-8280

www.coloradokitchen.info

I had a fabulous brunch experience at Colorado Kitchen last Saturday. Took my mom and my aunt who were in town visiting, and I don't think we could have done better anywhere else in the city. Got there shortly after 11am, and was afraid we would find a line out the door already. Turned out not to be a problem, immediately got a table and doughnuts were in front of us shortly after. I'm not usually one who goes much for doughnuts, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone. The honey-and-nut was my favorite, but the chocolate and dusted sugar were equally good.

I managed to eat about half of my aunt's shrimp and grits in addition to my own soft shell crab and eggs benedict special. Both were fantastic, but I'm going to be salivating for the shrimp and grits next time I make it up there. Not being from the South, I don't have much experience with grits, but the garlic cheesy grits were as good a brunch side as I've ever had. Excellent texture, and really packed in the flavor.

Robin gave us fantastic service and pointed us to Da Sto next door when we inquired about buying one of their cool coffee mugs. I really like this place and have never had a bad experience. I wish it was more metro-friendly, but I think the neighboorhood-centric feel of the place probably is to its overall benefit.

A CK virgin no more as I made my way over for dinner last night before yet another meeting.

I started with the aspargus with goat cheese fritters. Four hefty aspargus spears in a light vinagrette with wonderful discs of warm goat cheese. So good!

For the main course I had the meatloaf which came with green beans and cheesey pasta. I thought it was a fine example of meatloaf but too sweet for me. I thought the ketchup overwhelmed the meatloaf. (It didn't keep me from eating 75% of it though!)

I finished with the pineapple upside down cake. Wow! Where was CK all my life?

I will definitely be back, though I do wish it was open on Tuesday nights when so many of my meetings take place in the area.

Jennifer

Yum, doughnuts. My date and I started today's brunch with a trio of the perfect, fried cake doughnuts. Too hot to eat at first, we cut them into little bits so as to make them cool faster. So delicious.

I moved on to scrambled eggs (3 is a lot for me; 2 would have been perfect) with bacon and cheesy grits instead of hash browns. The bacon arrives looking unimpressive - three or so skinny strips. I was expecting something thicker, but the bacon didn't let me down. Salty, crispy addictive. The grits? Insanely good, all cheesy and garlicky.

+1 had the day's brunch special, a "Low Country Benedict" which involved a mess of sloppy Joe , poached eggs and Hollandaise served atop relatively sweet cornbread. He asked if the poached eggs could instead be scrambled, but our server patiently explained that the substitution had been tried before, and that texturally speaking, scrambled eggs don't work with the Hollandaise. Satisfied, he stuck with the poached. That's a lot of food.

With coffee for me and a sparkling raspberry lemonade drink for him, total damage was about $40. So worth it.

All the talk of bugers combined with the recent email from CK saying that Thursday is buger night made deciding where to eat after the Buford talk pretty easy.

CK has one damn fine cooked to order burger served with some tasty and crispy onion straws on the side. For $7.50 it is a good deal (add bacon or cheese $1, grilled (?) onions $.50) in my book.

Shared an order of the sweetbreads to start, but there was too much bacon (did I just say that?!). The bacon, a component of the spinach served underneath, ran over the sweetbreads a bit. Just a minor complaint that did not stop us from finishing the dish. The other main was the fried chicken that I got to sample and that is another tasty dish.

Finished the meal up with some pineapple upside-down cake and I was happy.

I think I will be heading there tonight. Is is busy on Friday night? We were there for brunch this past Sunday, and one other time for dinner, so I am not sure about Firday nights. I am all about the cheap eats these days.

I don't think of CK as "cheap eats" so much as "reasonable" and "satisfying." The bill can easily add up with appetizers and "big food" not to mention beer or wine and dessert. I recommend going early in the evening if possible. They have small storage areas so the popular items tend to sell out.

Does anyone know if Colorado Kitchen will be open for brunch tomorrow? I got an email from them listing the days they'd be closed, but seem to have deleted it. Wouldn't want to trek up there to find no delicious donuts and reminiscent-of-home shrimp and grits...

Does anyone know if Colorado Kitchen will be open for brunch tomorrow? I got an email from them listing the days they'd be closed, but seem to have deleted it. Wouldn't want to trek up there to find no delicious donuts and reminiscent-of-home shrimp and grits...

They should be open today. Here's the email:

Dear Everyone,

You know what summer time means in this city. The three H's--Heat, Haze, Humidity--make every piece of equipment at the old Colorado Kitchen work harder. We've already had visits from the refrigeration repair man and the HVAC guy. The ice machine is also struggling to keep up. Plus, summer means another birthday for Chef...she's no spring chicken you know. Those three H's take a toll on her as well nowadays. She moves slower and slower and slower. Is that roasted chicken taking 3 minutes longer than last month? Probably.

For the sake of the equipment and that big piece of equipment in the white hat, we're introducing Colorado Kitchen's summer hours.

Closed: Mon, Tues, Wed

Open: Thurs thru Sat for Dinner 5 to 10 pm

Sunday for Dinner 5 to 9

Sat and Sun for Brunch 11 to 2:30

Thursday and Sunday are still burger nights. But both days will feature special menus. It will feel like your at Chef's house where she'll be cooking up the food that she loves to cook...we know some are your favorites--Fried Chicken, Fried Shrimp with Coleslaw, Crab cakes, sweetbreads. Plenty of yummy stuff.

And in case you missed it, check out npr.org to hear Chef's mother's day radio essay.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5403984

While they're not out yet on CD you can still hear all of Chef's NPR commentaries:

http://www.npr.org/search.php?text=%22Gillian+Clark%22

Don't forget to log onto http://www.dcstylemag.com/ to vote for Chef. She's been selected as one of the 25 HOTTEST Chefs in DC. Log on and vote Colorado Kitchen's Chef as DC's HOTTEST.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

So I've gotta say... I'm a Colorado Kitchen brunch lover, but my experience today was disappointingly so-so. For the first time, I branched out from my standard shrimp and grits (my favorite rendition of that old favorite in the DC area), and went the crabcake benedict route. And the branching out was a mistake. Next time I go, I'll have to return to the tried and true.

First, the good. Really, the extraordinary. Those donuts. I love those donuts. I dream about those donuts. I can't decide whether I like the powdered sugar ones or the nuts and honey ones best, it probably isn't even a decision I need to make. It always surprises me that my least favorite is the chocolate -- but maybe it's that the milk chocolate doesn't stand up to the deliciousness of the donut as well as rich dark chocolate might. Hmmm...

But the benedict. You know, the crabcakes were nicely spiced, full of chunks of crab, resting on top of a thin slice of tomato, and a crunchy English muffin. But they were covered with a liberal helping of a hollandaise sauce that reminded me of... well... concentrated melted butter. It was so heavy and buttery that I found it impossible to finish, and the dish was overwhelmed.

I did snag a bite of my +1's fried catfish, though, and it was fabulous. Chef works wonders with all things (donuts, catfish...) fried.

The burger is not on the brunch menu, correct? I am trying to think of what lunch-like items are on the menu for my friend who isn't into breakfast foods. I can recall shrimp & grits, catfish, salad...and then go blank.

The burger is not on the brunch menu, correct? I am trying to think of what lunch-like items are on the menu for my friend who isn't into breakfast foods. I can recall shrimp & grits, catfish, salad...and then go blank.

I think you hit them all. Unless your friend does not like fish both are decent dishes.

Today's enewsletter from Colorado Kitchen is entitled: Just Three More Sunday Brunches and they announce their August vacation (closure) dates.

Sadly, does this mean summer's almost over (already)?

That's Right Folks,

The summer is winding down and getting close to Colorado Kitchen's annual August vacation.

We'll serve Brunch August 6th and then be closed for the summer until Wednesday, September 6th when we open for dinner; we'll email you with news from our trip and a new menu.

With so little time left to enjoy Colorado Kitchen before school starts we know you want to come in and try some of the yummy things Chef has put on the menu to make these last three weeks memorable.

She's cooking up something she's calling Tallahatchie Tempura. There's Red-Eye Gravy on the meatloaf and a mushroom smothered pork chop. We've also got plenty of berries for cobbler and dumplings. We're also serving hormone free, organic ice cream from Moorenkos. You've got to try it.

See You Soon,

Chef & Robin

Wow, I am glad I finally made it to Colorado Kitchen today for brunch, since it is about to close for a few weeks of summer break. I had never been, but it was lovely. My friend and I shared the donut holes that were little bites of heaven. I then hade the Shrimp and grits, which were just amazing. I almost licked my plate, but I figured that would have been bad form. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the grits were the perfect balance of garlic and butter.

I guess they are open for another week or two and then they have a much needed holiday. I look forward to going back in September. I am kicking myself that it took me so long to get over there.

Decided to skip the doubles championship match at the Legg Mason and catch the last brunch at CK before their summer vacation and we were glad that we did. Upon arriving for the singles championship match, two ladies gave us their courtside seats (they could not stay) as we were walking to the entrace. The only thing better than that was the meal, donuts, fried catfish, and a side of cheese grits.

Enjoy your vacation and I look forward to returning in September.

And the Most Surreal Use of an MRE award for 2006 goes to Colorado Kitchen, for their red soapbox in the corner displaying several Military Ready-to-Eat meals with a sign in front advising customers not to whine or complain, because the soldiers in Iraq "can't always get what they want," either.

Feaful of being asked if I had ever fought in a war, I decided not to request extra tartar sauce with my catfish.

(P.S. The quote above is probably not exact, since I'm working from memory here.)

I had a dinner at CK Saturday that can only be summed up with the terrible word YUMMY. +1 and I shared the goat cheese fritters with fennel, red peppers and avocado. Good stuff. Not a huge portion so I was grumpy about sharing (only a little).

I had the pork chop smothered with mushrooms, potatoes au gratin and green beans. The chop was thick, tender and perfectly cooked. I loved it, and the meatloaf my boyfriend ordered.

Tragically, we were too full for dessert.