On 1/14/2014 at 12:56 PM, DonRocks said:

Yes it was, and that's probably the most popular Star Trek (TOS) episode of all time.

For something equally heart-wrenching, watch Star Trek: The Next Generation's (TNG) "The Inner Light."

For a very un-Trek like approach to moral issues, check out the Babylon 5 episodes "Believers" and "Confessions and Lamentations."

Next Gen was Star Trek updated for the 90s; Babylon 5 is the gritty answer to Trek that Deep Space Nine tried to be but rarely succeeded.

On 1/14/2014 at 2:05 PM, DanielK said:

For a very un-Trek like approach to moral issues, check out the Babylon 5 episodes "Believers" and "Confessions and Lamentations".

Next Gen was Star Trek updated for the 90s; Babylon 5 is the gritty answer to Trek that Deep Space Nine tried to be but rarely succeeded.

If I'm going to watch any Babylon 5 episodes - given that I know nothing about it - should I watch the pilot ("The Gathering") first?

Yes.  Its great for the backstory and sets the stage nicely for the series.  Its also pretty good.  However, be aware that a)there are 2 versions and the one you'll probably see is the revised one (which I think is better anyway) & b)the series has a very different cast of characters than "The Gathering" so don't get too attached to any of the characters.  I actually liked Babylon 5 more than the Star Trek series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does the Centauri sound like the bridge troll in Monty Python?

Does the acting get better after the first couple of episodes? I remember the acting (or direction, not sure which) in season one of Star Trek - TNG was just awful, but I fell in love with that show. People are really overacting in Babylon 5, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get past this.

Okay ... this is funny.

Screenshot 2018-07-25 at 18.34.41.png

On 7/24/2018 at 7:40 PM, DonRocks said:

Does the acting get better after the first couple of episodes? I remember the acting (or direction, not sure which) in season one of Star Trek - TNG was just awful, but I fell in love with that show. People are really overacting in Babylon 5, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get past this.

Much like TNG... yes, season one is weak, but essential.

• Like 1