alan7147

Virginia - Small Cities and Towns

Poplar Springs, Casanova

I saw a mention of this in "The List" email and it looks really interesting. Perfect for a tranquil weekend getaway, plus the restaurant looks excellent. Anyone been or heard anything positive and can report back?

Danville

At least there's a wireless internet connection here at VIR. But Danville totally sucks for food. There's a run-of-the-mill Italian place (Joe and Mimma's), the worst Japanese ever (I've blocked its name from memory), a choke-n-puke Mexican (Los Tres Maguyes), and a thoroughly mediocre barbeque joint (Short Sugar's). The best bet is Outhouse - um, Outback Steakhouse - and there's usually a loooooong wait for a table.

Please, will one of you tell me there's hope? I'm willing to drive as far as South Boston or Roxboro for a decent meal while I'm here.

I love that place - for breakfast.  :angry:   But they ain't open for dinner.  :)

When did the hours change? They used to be open through the early evening.

You can make a short run across the border to NC and try to find BBQ but Short Sugar's used to be pretty decent.

Can you drive 40 miles south? Serious. Sadie Mae's just north of High Point for absolutely serious southern Italian. And, did I mention the Lexington Drive In, i.e. #1 which is-for many-the best bbq joint in all of Carolina, north or south.

did I mention the Lexington Drive In, i.e. #1 which is-for many-the best bbq joint in all of Carolina, north or south.

You just have to be able to push through all the NC State Police who seem to be there 24x7. Safest place in NC to eat.

Warm Springs

Last Saturday I had the distinct pleasure of doing a wine dinner at Garth Newel Music Center in Warm Springs, VA, about five miles north on US-220 from the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, VA. Garth Newel is a combination chamber music venue and bed-and-breakfast. Performances are generally Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, with a four-course dinner following the Saturday performance.

This year and last year, I have conducted Wild Grape wine dinners associated with a Saturday night performance of the Borromeo String Quartet, a very prominent group based in Boston. After the dinner I did last year, head violinist Nicholas Kitchen (whose father played piano at Garth Newel over thirty years ago!) and I stayed in touch; I saw them play in Boston this past April (a movement-by-movement study of Schoenberg's Fourth Quartet) and we agreed to do another dinner at Garth Newel, which was the one I did last weekend.

Folks, this place is not CityZen or something like that. The food is elemental and ingredients-driven, with some ingredients better than others. Saturday's dinner prominently featured chanterelles foraged just outside the door of the kitchen--that, well, did not suck. The people, from Chef Ed McArdle and Executive Director Jacob Yarrow, do a wonderful job taking the incredibly pastoral setting and fitting in a most comfortable venue for great music, dining, and conversation. The Board of Directors, many of whom have retired to Bath County, are incredibly nice--one of them even opened her guest quarters for my to crash Saturday night!

Garth Newel is one of the most peaceful places I've been to on earth. To be able to "work" in such a wonderful setting, for such great people (and with a quartet as good as the Borromeo) is the most fulfilling thing I've done in this business. I highly recommend checking it out--and I'll most likely be there next summer with the Borromeo again, schnooking away!

Cape Charles

i recall reading a Post article which mentions Sting-Rays, any other restaurant that we should try ??

Winchester

From a good friend (and food lover) who lives in Winchester: "I had a group dinner at Brewbakers that was very nice; haven't been there for lunch. Also I like One Block West on Indian Alley."

Roanoke

Mr P and I will be heading to Roanoke and back tomorrow, probably by way of Lychburg, possibly just down I81. Would love to find a decent spot for lunch. Any recommendations?

Roanoke/Daleville

Three Lil Pigs in Daleville, the next town north of Roanoke and right off I-81. Decent (by no means transcendent) Q and good, cheap beer.

Danville

There is decent barbeque near Danville, and it ain't at Short Sugar's. Last weekend I had a great dinner at a new-ish place called Tater Bugs, on US 58 a few miles east of Danville proper. Not earth-shattering, but very good. The ribs were nicely smoked through and the sauce, though not great, wasn't cloying or overwhelming, either. Good hush puppies, onion rings, sweet potato fries, and sweet tea. No alcohol served (yet). The place is small but shockingly clean. Mr. Tate gave me a tour of his smoker out back. happy.gif

Next time I'm in Danville Tater Bugs is on the list for at least two meals.

Winchester

From a good friend (and food lover) who lives in Winchester: "I had a group dinner at Brewbakers that was very nice; haven't been there for lunch. Also I like One Block West on Indian Alley."

Any updates on dining in Winchester or its surrounds? Or a more recent review of Brewbakers. Nothing fancy -- casual, good cooking will do.

Paris

I've been to the Ashby Inn in Paris, VA (about 20 minutes east of Winchester at 50 and 17). It was a while ago, so I don't even remember what I ordered, but I do remember liking it. thread

Also, when I'm out that way (Linden, VA - exit 13 on 66), I'll hit The Apple House for apple cinnamon donuts.

Culpeper

A block down the street is a serious restaurant for dinner that Tom Sietsema gave three stars to: Foti's. There's a thread on it somewhere on here.

Staunton

I'm heading to the Shenandoah this weekend with some friends - one of whom is from Staunton, VA. He's recommended that we have dinner at Staunton Grocery. Their website currently lists only a sample spring menu. Does anyone have any experience with this place or know anything about the chef (Ian Boden)?

Staunton

I'm heading to the Shenandoah this weekend with some friends - one of whom is from Staunton, VA. He's recommended that we have dinner at Staunton Grocery. Their website currently lists only a sample spring menu. Does anyone have any experience with this place or know anything about the chef (Ian Boden)?
I don't know anything about the Staunton Grocery, but Wright's Dairy Rite (old-school drive-in) is a regular stop for us, and we have had many good meals at Mrs. Rowe's (and often pick up a pie or frozen meal on our way through).

Staunton

Staunton, VA

I've eaten at The Mill. I think that's what it is called. It's a big converted flour mill that seemed to be pretty popular with the locals. It's pretty cool to eat inside a flour mill, but the food was nothing to get excited about. My burger was OK.

Staunton; Winchester

The buzz over on the RoadFood forums is that Mrs. Rowe passed away a few years ago, and her kids aren't exactly maintaining her standards. Too bad, because I drive right by it en route to my parents and would love to stop there for a meal if it was like it was in its heyday.

On an unrelated note, in Winchester, there's a decent frozen custard place on Route 7--if you're driving westbound it's on the left just before I-81. I liked their banana custard quite a lot. It's called Pack's Frozen Custard, although the big sign on the building that you can see from the street does not say so. I'm not sure if they're open year-round. It looks like a dump with walk-up windows, like all good frozen confection places should.

Harrisonburg

Klein's in "downtown" Harrisonburg has one of three vintage Electro Freeze machines from the '50's left in the state of Virginia. This is frozen custard that seriously rivals Fredericksburg's Carl's or the old Frozen Dairy Bar that was in Falls Church fifteen years ago.

Stanley

Hi!
I'm interested to know if anyone has been to "Jordan Hollow Inn", Located in Stanley, Virginia? What are your comments? Thank you