Tea Swap Penpal -- Participants needed

hapatite

TEASWAP.gif

Hi fellow food (and hopefully tea) lovers!

In an effort to keep my tea stash rotating and to try new teas, I looked around for tea swaps that I could participate in. The few I found seem to be inactive or strict about membership requirements. After polling facebook friends, I decided to create one myself!

A Tea Swap is a great way to try new teas, clean out your cupboard, re-discover teas you own, and meet new people. It's also a great piece of snail mail during this digital age. Who doesn't love coming home to a surprise in a mailbox?

Using Foodie Penpals as inspiration for the framework, this is how it will work. (This process may change and evolve over time).

- Fill out the Tea Swap Participation form by the end of the month to be included in the next month.
- Each month the form will reset so you'll need to sign up again.
- You will be informed of your Tea Penpal via e-mail (you get a new buddy each time you participate). Please reach out to your penpal and get their mailing address as well as any specific preferences they may have.
- Send out your Tea Penpal Package by the 15th of the following month (February 15th in this case). 
- Your package should consist of:
----- At least two (2) different types of teas {or}
----- At least four (4) servings of tea
----- Something handwritten (this can be a note, an explanation of the tea, a recipe idea, etc)
----- Hint: ask your penpal if they prefer loose-leaf ("naked") teas, or tea bags

If you have a website, twitter, or even instagram account, feel free to share the love using #teaswap, #teapenpal, or #sipdown

Information on signing up can be found here (sign up will close Jan 31st)
  • Like 2

TEASWAP.gif

Hi fellow food (and hopefully tea) lovers!

In an effort to keep my tea stash rotating and to try new teas, I looked around for tea swaps that I could participate in. The few I found seem to be inactive or strict about membership requirements. After polling facebook friends, I decided to create one myself!

A Tea Swap is a great way to try new teas, clean out your cupboard, re-discover teas you own, and meet new people. It's also a great piece of snail mail during this digital age. Who doesn't love coming home to a surprise in a mailbox?

Using Foodie Penpals as inspiration for the framework, this is how it will work. (This process may change and evolve over time).

- Fill out the Tea Swap Participation form by the end of the month to be included in the next month.
- Each month the form will reset so you'll need to sign up again.
- You will be informed of your Tea Penpal via e-mail (you get a new buddy each time you participate). Please reach out to your penpal and get their mailing address as well as any specific preferences they may have.
- Send out your Tea Penpal Package by the 15th of the following month (February 15th in this case). 
- Your package should consist of:
----- At least two (2) different types of teas {or}
----- At least four (4) servings of tea
----- Something handwritten (this can be a note, an explanation of the tea, a recipe idea, etc)
----- Hint: ask your penpal if they prefer loose-leaf ("naked") teas, or tea bags

If you have a website, twitter, or even instagram account, feel free to share the love using #teaswap, #teapenpal, or #sipdown

Information on signing up can be found here (sign up will close Jan 31st)

I highly recommend looking at Upton Tea as well. I haven't ordered from them in over ten years, but back then, they were the best source of tea in the United States.

Personally, I switched 100% from coffee to tea about two weeks ago, so I'm always interested in any discussion about teas. (It's not like I swore off coffee (I love great coffee); it's just that I think tea, in general, is more complex and interesting - plus, it gives me a gentler lift.)

I agree, I like the variety of flavor and caffeine levels that tea gives you. I made a resolution to switch to 100% tea last year, but... then I got an espresso machine for Christmas. Since I have over 100 different types of teas, I resolved to drink through all of my teas before buying anymore and thought a swap would be a good way to accomplish 2 things at once. 

I agree, I like the variety of flavor and caffeine levels that tea gives you. I made a resolution to switch to 100% tea last year, but... then I got an espresso machine for Christmas. Since I have over 100 different types of teas, I resolved to drink through all of my teas before buying anymore and thought a swap would be a good way to accomplish 2 things at once. 

I still have some Ku-Ki-Cha that I bought in 2002. :)

Okay, it's not "tea" so much as "twigs," but it's lasted 12 years (Upton customizes your labels at no additional charge).

Also, I don't know how I feel about this, but I read an article recently that talked about all the chemicals and pesticides in teas and tea bags. 

I already drink mostly loose leaf teas, but I purchased some bleach/chlorine free paper tea bags for tea-sharing. I was really shocked to find out that some major brands, including those sold at Whole Foods & MOMs, tested high for pesticides or unnatural additives (Yogi, I'm looking at you). They didn't test some of the other teas I drink (Harney & Sons / Lupicia), but I do have Teavana, Liption, Yogi, Trader Joe's, Twinnings, Tazo, and Tea Forte in my cupboard. Some others might not believe this article or care about the findings, so I thought swapping these teas might be better than just throwing them away.

I still have some Ku-Ki-Cha that I bought in 2002. :)

Okay, it's not "tea" so much as "twigs," but it's lasted 12 years (Upton customizes your labels at no additional charge).

I LOVE kukicha. I've only seen one place that sells it, House of Steep (called "Twig Tea" there).

Also, I don't know how I feel about this, but I read an article recently that talked about all the chemicals and pesticides in teas and tea bags. 

I already drink mostly loose leaf teas, but I purchased some bleach/chlorine free paper tea bags for tea-sharing. I was really shocked to find out that some major brands, including those sold at Whole Foods & MOMs, tested high for pesticides or unnatural additives (Yogi, I'm looking at you). They didn't test some of the other teas I drink (Harney & Sons / Lupicia), but I do have Teavana, Liption, Yogi, Trader Joe's, Twinnings, Tazo, and Tea Forte in my cupboard. Some others might not believe this article or care about the findings, so I thought swapping these teas might be better than just throwing them away.

Don't ever make the mistake of microwaving a Tea Forte bag. :unsure:

This is really good Ku-Ki-Cha.

I once recommended to Chantal Tseng that she incorporate this into DC's official drink (I think it could work), and call it the Branch Rickey.

Harney and Sons makes the best chamomile tea I've ever had.  I use to order it all the time.  Lately I've fallen in love with Mighty Tea's African Amber organic which isn't so much tea as it is rooibos root.  I also like Revolution teas..but the Harris Teeter stores have stopped carrying it and their shipping costs are more than their tea!

I am horrible about remembering to mail anything, but what a fun idea!  I got some Charleston Plantation Mint Tea and their Governor Gray, I really liked them both a lot.  When I go back down to Hilton Head or the surrounds I hope to find it again.  The mint mixed with some lavender made really good iced tea too.