Pizzeria Paradiso, Founder Ruth Gresser's Pizzerias with a Good Beer Selection

I've never been there before, but their website sure is appetizing. I'm thinking of heading there tonight.

Is it worth the trek into G-Town at 6:30 on a Friday?

What do you want more. Good beer or pizza? Beer head to the GT location, pizza either.

Given the choice between locations I would always choose G'town, unless you live, like, next to the Dupont location. It is teeny and always manages to be crowded. In G'town, even if the Birreria is crowded (which it will be on a Friday at 6:30) you can eat a pizza by yourself at the pizza bar on the main floor, and watch them clean the oven with a flaming broom for entertainment.

Had dinner at the Dupont restaurant tonight. Surprisingly, not a long wait. I really enjoyed the antipasto platter, the prosciutto in particular. Also had the tuna/white bean salad, which is better, to my mind, than its too-salty and too-cold counterpart at 2 Amys. The pizza was basil/mushroom/onion with a delightfully fluffy crust. The basil was fresh and fragrant, though the onions were not up to their usual sweetness. I know it's up for debate around DC whether 2 Amys or Paradiso takes the crown. But I think lately the dough at Paradiso is more flavorful, and it's always well drizzled with olive oil to add depth to the last few bites. They've also got a good Lambic on the specials menu right now; but serious beer drinkers ought rather to trek to G-town.

Met my freshmen year college roommate, who is in town for a conference, here last night. I'm not sure why, but basement level bars seem to lend themselves to drinking way more than you should. The just tapped Smuttynose "Special Selection" (or somesuch) IPA is quite nice-- very hoppy, but well balanced. Small Craft Warning was just put back on tap, but not on the engine. The engine is flowing with Cap City Pale Ale right now, but I didn't try it, as the quality of their brews seems to have gone downhill.

On the Engine: Clipper City's Loose Cannon (hoppy and delicious)

On Tap: Kwak (served in that brewery's crazy 'foot' glass, complete with its own stand*)

That half-price happy hour on all taps is bordering on charity-- even the bartender did a double-take when he saw how low our check was.

*I used to work with a guy from Belgium. Everytime we went to a bar (in the US), he would become livid: "You guys drink every beer from the SAME GLASS! It's madness!"

Hello from a "long-time lurker, first-time member and poster." I had a great happy hour at the Dupont Pizzeria Paradiso a few days ago, and wanted to share what I think are some great deals (weeknights 4 to 6:30):

$4.25 pizzas - One half of selected eight-inch pizzas

Antipasto plates - Your choice of three of our altre cose, small plate $6.95 and large plate $12.95

$3.50 draft beer, $3 select bottled beer

Not sure what the Georgetown location is up to (I really need to get over there...everyone says it's the better location), but if you're in the Dupont area after work, it's really good food for really not a lot of money.

Here's to the first of what is sure to be many carb-focused posts...

Hello from a "long-time lurker, first-time member and poster." I had a great happy hour at the Dupont Pizzeria Paradiso a few days ago, and wanted to share what I think are some great deals (weeknights 4 to 6:30):

$4.25 pizzas - One half of selected eight-inch pizzas

Antipasto plates - Your choice of three of our altre cose, small plate $6.95 and large plate $12.95

$3.50 draft beer, $3 select bottled beer

Not sure what the Georgetown location is up to (I really need to get over there...everyone says it's the better location), but if you're in the Dupont area after work, it's really good food for really not a lot of money.

Here's to the first of what is sure to be many carb-focused posts...

Great first post, Laura, and welcome to the boards! :unsure:

I still haven't made it over there. Happy hour in G-Town just never sounded very relaxing to me.

Great first post, Laura, and welcome to the boards! :unsure:

I still haven't made it over there. Happy hour in G-Town just never sounded very relaxing to me.

If you enjoy good beer there are not many other places to be.

I'm so happy. Hitachino White Nest Ale was just tapped at BP. One of the bartenders said that he's only drinking the owl 'till its gone. They also have a tasting menu and rare beer pairing. I know nothing about rare beer, so it could be a put on for all I know. Has anyone tried it?

Finally made my first visit to Birreria Paradiso, spurred on by mention here of the Hitachino White. I can't believe I waited so long to make it to this place--very nice draft list (in addition to the Hitachino, I was particularly impressed with the Maharaja double IPA--the malt rises to the challenge of the hops, resulting in a creamy, well-balanced IPA that just about knocked my socks off).

Good beer-drinking atmosphere, for my tastes, with no annoying TVs. All it needs is a foosball table, maybe a bar pool table, and I'd probably move in. It's small enough that I imagine Friday nights are pretty packed with Paradiso overflow, but for weeknight beer drinking it is ideal.

Currently on cask is a very tasty dark, Proletary Ale, from Brewer's Art in Baltimore. I also enjoyed a class of Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing out of CA. It is an American IPA with 20% rye malt that starts off hoppy and has a malty sweetness to it.

Currently on cask is a very tasty dark, Proletary Ale, from Brewer's Art in Baltimore. I also enjoyed a class of Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing out of CA. It is an American IPA with 20% rye malt that starts off hoppy and has a malty sweetness to it.

Man, I gotta get over to this place. Still haven't been.

Meant to post something about that Hop Rod Rye-- really nice stuff. Also, the Avery Maharaja double IPA (on tap now as well) is worth getting. HUGE fresh hop aroma on that one.

I had some of that fine Hitachino on Friday night....mmm, sweet like candy!

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of ordering some food and lost the taste of it.

I too made the mistake of trying to eat food with it, which didn't work. This beer is too subtle in flavor for anything but the mildest dish.

Mmm. I love Pizzeria Paradiso. Previously I had a tough time deciding in the battle of 2Amys vs. Paradiso. I liked Paradiso's pizza better, but enjoyed the various appetizers and desserts at Amys so much that I couldn't give pick. I like the bar at 2Amys, but Paradiso's is nice AND it's not such a stroller set hangout (at least the Georgetown one isn't). And then there's the beer.

My SO and I went to G'town last night and enjoyed a three-beer sampler. I believe it was described in the menu as 5 oz of each Unibroue Chambly Noir, Gouden Carolus Tripel and Duchesse de Bourgogne (which I have had before and really enjoyed), however there was a substitution for the last beer that I cannot recall. Either way, I really enjoyed all three; +1 really doesn't like beers that are remotely dark (WHAT??? That's crazy talk) so we swapped his Chambly Noir for most of my Tripel.

My starter was a special crostini with prosciutto and bufala mozzarella. Fantastic. The bread was moderately oiled and rubbed with garlic. A sprinkling of salt and pepper brought it all together. His starter was the simple mixed green salad with balsamic viniagrette. Of course, the waiter tried to give me, a woman, the sala. :)

I also ordered a special for my pizza: gorgonzola cheese, a hint of tomato, parsley and red onion. When I asked to skip the onion, they offered the ability to substitute another ingredient. I picked salami. :) For me, it was a great combination. He had the Bosco and devoured it (and the last piece of my pizza too).

We both had the whole wheat crusts. I liked it, but think the regular crust is even better. He was lukewarm on the whole wheat and will probably skip it in the future.

Our server was pleasant and never disappeared.

Nothing jumped out at us from the dessert menu, and we were pretty full anyway. Total damage: slightly less than $60 plus tip. An inexpensive nice time.

Come to Birreria Paradiso this Friday from 6:00 - 8:00pm and meet:

Charles Leclef

beer genius and owner of the Belgian brewery

Brouwerij Het Anker

producer of such great beers as Gouden Carolus Classic, Triple and Grand Cru of the Emperor

Mr. Leclef will be visiting our bar this Friday to meet with customers and to chat with you about his beers.

Enjoy half-priced pints of Gouden Carolus Triple from 6-8pm.

Come to Birreria Paradiso this Friday from 6:00 - 8:00pm and meet:

Charles Leclef

beer genius and owner of the Belgian brewery

Brouwerij Het Anker

producer of such great beers as Gouden Carolus Classic, Triple and Grand Cru of the Emperor

Mr. Leclef will be visiting our bar this Friday to meet with customers and to chat with you about his beers.

Enjoy half-priced pints of Gouden Carolus Triple from 6-8pm.

He also owns a second brewery right off the Belgian coast called Brouweij Dropp Anker.

Me again. Posting about yesterday's pretty perfect lunch at Paradiso in Georgetown.

Joined by my family, whose company I very much enjoy, I started with a sampler of three five-oz beers and ensured that one of my tastes would be the Duchesse de Bourgogne. I love that stuff. If you know where I can buy it, PM me. :)

My lightweight visiting uncle George also got a sampler and by the end of just 15 oz of beer, he was staring happily out the window at the Georgetown scene, proclaiming "I love Georgetown" before dissolving into a guffaw. True, it was a gorgeous fall day outside so we couldn't disagree with him.

For our meals, four of us had pizzas and Uncle George had the tuna sandwich which earned raves around the table. His wife had considered ordering it, but went all nervous nelly about the kitchen's inability to prepare it without capers or anchovies (I know, I know). Upon tasting her husband sandwich, her plain pizza no longer tasted as good. My mother also snatched a big chunk of the sandwich and nodded with approval.

My pizza? Fantastic. I had planned to order an 8 inch atomica, but switched at the very last minute to a quattro formaggi with prosciutto. Our server asked if I wanted the prosciutto added after cooking or before; I went with the latter and had no regrets. What a pizza! I loved the roasted garlic flavor and the bits of gorgonzola I found. I ate showly, savoring every bite and was the last one eating. Great, great lunch.

Thumbs up for Pliny the Elder. Still on tap as of last night, piney and bright and delicious. Might be good to combine in a flight with other options -- the cumulative sharpness started to get to me halfway through the pint. Great flavor, though.

Nice upcoming events here:

Join us for the

Birreria Paradiso Beer Tasting Series

every Monday in November from 6pm to 7:30pm

for a tour of the world's major beer producing countries.

You will be guided through the beer styles of Belgium, England, Germany and the United States

by enjoy a sampling of the world's most fascinating beers that best illustrate the various qualities of each style.

Belgium, November 6

We will begin our trip in the beer lover's paradise of Belgium, a country the size of Maryland, which boasts more than 120 breweries, making more than 500 different beers, including flavors of chocolate, exotic spices, fruit and malt.

England, November 13

Next our Beer Tasting Series travels to England to explore the wonderful world of light-in-alcohol-but-full-of-flavor British beers and stories of the British Colonies and Russian Czars.

Germany, November 20

Then it's off to Germany, famous for lagers and wheat ales, many of which are brewed in adherence to strict laws dating back to 1516, and featuring a dizzying array of tastes and strengths.

United States, November 27

We return home to the United States, the most exciting place for beer on earth, where irreverence and fine craftsmanship have combined to create beers that defy your senses with towering levels of alcohol and mind blowing ingredients, including a finish of whole hops.

Each Tasting Event includes a three-course meal and a sampling of approximately 15 beers

Price: $60 per tasting event, or $220 for all four if you sign up in advance

Participation is limited so sign up early by emailing at

info@eatyourpizza.com or by calling 202-337-4936.

In your email, please provide your full name, desired event(s),

a daytime phone number and the number of people in your party.

Hope to see you!

Birreria Paradiso

only at

Pizzeria Paradiso Georgetown

3282 M Street, NW

Washington, DC 20007

Also I wanted to take the opportunity to say goodbye to everyone. I

am leaving Pizzeria/Birreria Paradiso and moving to Philadelphia at

the end of this month. I want to thank everyone here in DC for being

so good to me and making Birreria Paradiso a success. My replacement

will be Greg Jasgur one of our long time bartenders. He is a real fan

of all those hoppy westcoast beers so for everyone who was getting

tired of my obsession with Belgian beers he will be a welcome change.

Again thank you!

Noooo!! :):)

Noooo!! :):)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Greg Jasgur is the dude who left recently for the West coast?

If he's not the Mets fan I'm thinking of.......

If he is..... we're in good hands....albeit not Thor's.

If not.......

I need a keg of Old Stoatwobbler.

Lunched on Saturday at the Georgetown location, and while I have a limited sample from which to judge, I have to say that this pizza pimp slaps Two Amys. I had the Atomica while my wife had the Bosco and we loved them both, especially the fantastic crust. Once you add the incredible beer list, it's a hard to beat combo. While I haven't had many of the small plate or dessert options from Two Amys that people rave about, I can't imagine enjoying them more than the special crostini we had at PP with fresh buffalo mozzarella and prosciutto di Parma. This was one of those rare lovely occasions where I came in with moderate expectations and was blown away by the quality.

Those beer samplers are great, especially if you are one of the "so many beers, so little time" people. A do-it-yourself beer festival.

I assume this is something they only have at the Georgetown location?

There is only one tap at the Dupont location, so yes, I believe the samplers would have to be limited to G-town, unless you have enough people to grab several bottles and do your own sampler at the Dupont location. Dupont has a pretty decent beer list, but nothing that comes close to rivalling the Birreria.

Anyone been lately and can advise whats good on tap now? I am going there around 6 tonight. Thanks.

We were there last Friday, and if they still have La Gnomette it is a must try. It's an IPA offering from Garrett Oliver (Brooklyn Brewery) in conjunction with the d'Achouffe folks; basically a Belgian interpretation of an American Imperial IPA using Belgian yeast. Outstanding. Bartender said there were a couple kegs left last weekend, so you should be in luck. I normally try not to repeat orders when there are so many good beers on tap, but this one required a second glass.

Edit: Crap, sorry, saw you were going last night.

We were there last Friday, and if they still have La Gnomette it is a must try. It's an IPA offering from Garrett Oliver (Brooklyn Brewery) in conjunction with the d'Achouffe folks; basically a Belgian interpretation of an American Imperial IPA using Belgian yeast. Outstanding. Bartender said there were a couple kegs left last weekend, so you should be in luck. I normally try not to repeat orders when there are so many good beers on tap, but this one required a second glass.

Must everything be a damn hop bomb?

Take an India Pale Ale and feed it steroids, ergo the term Double IPA. Although open to the same interpretation as its sister styles, you should expect something robust, malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that might rip your tongue out. The Imperial usage comes from Russian Imperial stout, a style of strong stout originally brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Court of the late 1700s. Its application to an unrelated style makes little sense to many, so Double IPA is quickly becoming the preferred name.

Yes.

Left out of the "Thor leaving us" discussion is that he has plans to open up a Belgian-centric bar in Philly. Best o' luck to him. There's already some well established Belgian-themed beer bars up there, but Philly is thirsty so he should do well.

Good luck to Greg, too: I look forward to having whatever crazy West Coast beers you can get yer mitts on.

I just hope Thor's departure doesn't jeopardize the DuPont BP's plan to do a beer bar in the basement along the same lines as the Gtown experiment. They bought the store underneath them and that's what Thor told me a few months ago, well before he told me he was leaving.

It actually wasn't a "damn hop bomb", which is what made it so great. Not all Imperial IPAs are Stone Ruination clones, although many are in the ever-increasing brewery pissing contests. I think the descriptor here was more for the alcohol content (it was intended to be an IPA/dubbel hybrid). The additional malt body and the Belgian yeast characteristics provided some great balance.

It actually wasn't a "damn hop bomb", which is what made it so great. Not all Imperial IPAs are Stone Ruination clones, although many are in the ever-increasing brewery pissing contests. I think the descriptor here was more for the alcohol content (it was intended to be an IPA/dubbel hybrid). The additional malt body and the Belgian yeast characteristics provided some great balance.

Good to know. Hopefully I will be able to get there and try it out.

I actually had that last night..it was fantastic

Taps update... On Tues, we had:

Victory Harvest (see the nice description of it by ManekiNeko in the beer thread)

Victory Hop Wallop (mdt beware. Others, give this hop bomb a try)

Petrus Oud Bruin (sour Flemish brown. I enjoy this in small quantities, but not a style for everyone)

Kostrizer Schwartzbier

Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout

On the engine: Brewer's Art Resurrection

Best happy hour in DC. Apparently the word is out, as it was packed.

Kostrizer Schwartzbier

Obligatory tangent tale:

I was at the Brickskeller tasting years ago when Michael Jackson, the Beer Hunter, poured this for probably the first time ever in DC. He told an amusing tale of his efforts to obtain and sample the fabled Kostritzer Schwarzbier prior to the fall of communism in East Germany, because this style did not exist anywhere else. The East German authorities' level of paranoia was so high that when he inquired about the brewery and the possibility of obtaining a travel visa, they responded only with a terse "yes, we agree that there [exists] a Bad Kostritz."

Personally, I think it tastes like the syrupy malted beverage they feed old folks in Bavarian retirement homes, but fermented.

Obligatory tangent tale:

I was at the Brickskeller tasting years ago when Michael Jackson, the Beer Hunter, poured this for probably the first time ever in DC. He told an amusing tale of his efforts to obtain and sample the fabled Kostritzer Schwarzbier prior to the fall of communism in East Germany, because this style did not exist anywhere else. The East German authorities' level of paranoia was so high that when he inquired about the brewery and the possibility of obtaining a travel visa, they responded only with a terse "yes, we agree that there [exists] a Bad Kostritz."

Personally, I think it tastes like the syrupy malted beverage they feed old folks in Bavarian retirement homes, but fermented.

Really? I rather liked my glass that I had last night and it got better as it warmed up from the frosty temperature at which they keep the kegs. It was not as smokey as I like, but enjoyable.

The Brewer's Art Resurrection on the otherhand was excellent!

The Brewer's Art Resurrection on the otherhand was excellent!

Indeed it was, akin to Rochefort 6, but drier. I hope Greg maintains the practice of getting casks of the local brewpubs on a regular basis. While the rosemary garlic fries are to die for, I don't get to Charm City often enough to enjoy Brewer's Art.

Indeed it was, akin to Rochefort 6, but drier. I hope Greg maintains the practice of getting casks of the local brewpubs on a regular basis. While the rosemary garlic fries are to die for, I don't get to Charm City often enough to enjoy Brewer's Art.

I would love to see him get some casks from England, but was told by that it is cost prohibitive. CrescentFresh still thinks it is possible, but I don't remember the details.

I would love to see him get some casks from England, but was told by that it is cost prohibitive. CrescentFresh still thinks it is possible, but I don't remember the details.

I say why bother when there are locals making stuff just as worthy of praise, if not more. Besides, cask ale is kinda fragile: the less travelling it has to do, the better. BP will do a much better job of it than Brick or RFD's since they are able to move the product faster, though.

I'd probably say that would be Goudenband, which they may carry at Birreria (I rarely look past the taps).

They do carry Goudenband, and the peeps at BeerAdvocate would agree with your opinion. Petrus doesn't get shabby marks though. I, too, rarely look past the taps but the wife loves her some Cantillon so we have to see what they have in the way of old school lambics.

I'd probably say that would be Goudenband, which they may carry at Birreria (I rarely look past the taps).

Goudenband is indeed considered the standard (I think Petrus is better though). RFD has a stock of aged Goudenband (20year old IIRC) that is on offer at a pretty decent price. Almost worth a visit. Lovely stuff.