Pizzeria Paradiso, Founder Ruth Gresser's Pizzerias with a Good Beer Selection

I have been to 2 Amys a few times in the past 12 months, but today in Georgetown I tried Paradiso again. It had been awhile. All I can say is that 2 Amy's may be good but Paradiso is the Bomb! The pizza dough/crust was incredible. It was crispy/crusty on the outside but chewy in the middle. Yet it was thin enough under the toppings so as to not overpower them. I am not one to take notes on what I eat, but my pizza today was the special which had roasted peppers, roasted shallots, ham, and some kind of funky cheese. It was such a perfect marriage. My son had the margharita and even though the tomatoes may have been canned, it still tasted fresh. I usually don't eat the pizza edge but let's just say today they were wonderful for sopping up olive oil! Enter my vote for Paradiso in the Paradiso/2 Amy's debate!

Another outstanding evening at Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown last evening. Antipasto, Margherita and Napoletana pizzas exquisitely prepared, finished off with the Frutta e Formaggio. What really made the meal was the wonderful selection of draft beer. Through the course of the evening we sampled: Chimay Cinq Cents; Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout; St. Bernardus Witbier; Het Kapittel Abt; Rodenbach; and Joker Ale. The Chimay was so good we went back for a second. I recommend the Belgian flight (4 short beers) to get a chance to try as many beers as possible without getting too looped.

I still need to get to 2 Amys, but I just cannot stand waiting to get a table - not a problem I have encountered at the GTown Pizzeria Paradiso. Frankly, I cannot imagine 2 Amys being appreciably better than what I ate last night, not to mention that they don't have the Belgian drafts.

It is.

That is for sure. My pizza at the GT PP was good, but it had nowhere near the crispy crust and flavor of 2 Amy's. I had the whole wheat crust, which shouldn't matter too much, but it was more like thin bread. I had the Atomica, as usual, and the flavors are rather subdued and it is supposed to have some hot pepper in/on it. I personally find the regular white crust rather bland in flavor.

Our hangover cure from Citronelle last weekend was pizza here and it was very good (better than Mia's), but I agree not as flavorful as 2 Amy's. Wanted some spice in my sausage but the roasted peppers were wonderfully sweet. Nice touches I appreciated were the freshly grated parmesan on the table and a team oriented service staff (who picked up the slack of our comparably delinquent original server).

Pax,

Brian

My favorite pizza - quattro formaggi with prosciutto - and a new favorite beer, Rodenbach. I also enjoyed a pint of Hairy Eyeball and sampled the Unibroue Éphémère which was not overwhelmingly sweet (and I say that as someone who dislikes sweet fruity beer).

One bit of weirdness though: customers are now discouraged from sitting at the upstairs bar unless they are ordering food. Hmm.

With my Komi reservation set I was looking at a few casual meals that are family friendly. Is Pizzeria Paradiso a good suggestion?

Two teenagers and a very well behaved five year old.

I prefer 2 Amy's, but to answer your question, yes it is a good place for a casual meal. If you enjoy beer head over to the Georgetown location.

It's long past time for Pizzeria Paradiso's free critical pass on their pizza to come to an end. The crust here has never been great, but on my most recent visit, it was worse than ever. Up to two full inches of dry, dense, flavorless, toppingless crust ran the circumference of my 12-inch Quatro Formaggi with parsley and garlic ($16.75), and added toppings of olives ($1.95), mushrooms ($1.95), and fresh sliced tomato ($2.25). I'd estimate that 25-33% of the pizza was nothing better than hard, thick, mediocre bread - yes, the crust surely contains good ingredients, and it was "fresh from the oven," but so are Whole Foods dinner rolls if you catch them at the right moment. For years now, Pizzeria Paradiso has been a "pizza of toppings," meaning that the toppings are often good enough where you can turn a blind eye towards the lousy crust, but in this instance, one of the four cheeses used was gorgonzola, and there was so much of it that it became the dominant scent and flavor of the entire pizza rather than the accent it's supposed to be - there's a judicious alchemy involved in distributing and rationing the four cheeses in a good quattro formaggi, and it wasn't in evidence here. The olives and mushrooms worked perfectly on this pizza, but the fresh sliced tomatoes were my own futile attempt to get a couple last licks in at a waning tomato season; sun-dried tomatoes would have worked much better on this pie: I knew that from the start, so I have nobody to blame but myself. The Birreria had the Bell's Two-Hearted Ale in cask, and it was well-worth ordering. Bottom line: Pizzeria Paradiso MIGHT still be a top-ten pizza in the area at this point; in no way does it crack the top five.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It's long past time for Pizzeria Paradiso's free critical pass on their pizza to come to an end. The crust here has never been great, but on my most recent visit, it was worse than ever. Up to two full inches of dry, dense, flavorless, toppingless crust ran the circumference of my 12-inch Quatro Formaggi with parsley and garlic ($16.75), and added toppings of olives ($1.95), mushrooms ($1.95), and fresh sliced tomato ($2.25). I'd estimate that 25-33% of the pizza was nothing better than hard, thick, mediocre bread - yes, the crust surely contains good ingredients, and it was "fresh from the oven," but so are Whole Foods dinner rolls if you catch them at the right moment. For years now, Pizzeria Paradiso has been a "pizza of toppings," meaning that the toppings are often good enough where you can turn a blind eye towards the lousy crust, but in this instance, one of the four cheeses used was gorgonzola, and there was so much of it that it became the dominant scent and flavor of the entire pizza rather than the accent it's supposed to be - there's a judicious alchemy involved in distributing and rationing the four cheeses in a good quattro formaggi, and it wasn't in evidence here. The olives and mushrooms worked perfectly on this pizza, but the fresh sliced tomatoes were my own futile attempt to get a couple last licks in at a waning tomato season; sun-dried tomatoes would have worked much better on this pie: I knew that from the start, so I have nobody to blame but myself. The Birreria had the Bell's Two-Hearted Ale in cask, and it was well-worth ordering. Bottom line: Pizzeria Paradiso MIGHT still be a top-ten pizza in the area at this point; in no way does it crack the top five.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Amen. Finally.

Bottom line: Pizzeria Paradiso MIGHT still be a top-ten pizza in the area at this point; in no way does it crack the top five.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Couldn't agree more. Every time I have been I have wondered what the fuss was all about; for $20, shouldn't I be getting a 12" pizza that is outstanding rather than "good toppings, pretty good sauce, AWFUL crust"???

For the price, I'll go to 2Amy's, Comet, AF, Vace, Italian Store, or Bebo before I consider Paradiso. Shit, I think I would be happier paying $5 less for a Papa John's pizza that is much bigger and only slightly lower in terms of quality in my opinion.

Well, I think they have a long way to fall before reaching Papa John's level, but it's never been a contest in my mind as to whether or not 2Amys is superior to the Georgetown Paradiso (oh yes, it easily is). IMHO Paradiso's dough is usually pretty good, but as Don notes, they shape them with ridiculously big "heels" as if it were a good thing. On the topping front, I've had some very good combos there, but also many rather dull ones, and IMHO they're usually over-topped.

If Paradiso is no longer top-5 (and I think Don is right about this, although they'd still make my local top 10) it's only because we've finally gotten some great pie action going in this town from places like 2Amys, Bebo, AF and RedRocks. And sometimes Comet and/or that joint in Crystal City. And that's a good thing.

Disclaimer: I ate another margherita extra at 2Amys last night. And it was great. Ask for the crust "well-done".

To add to all of the other plusses, a tip:

The Gtown location has free WiFi, which is also the fastest WiFi I've encountered anywhere free.

Also, Paradiso is a different food than Domnios or Papa Johns, so can't compare (yes, those suck, but suing them as examples), but Paradiso is definately better than 2 Amys, and so much more accessible, less kids, better crowd, too.

Some really interesting stuff on tap:

Hitachino Nest White

Smuttynose Robusst Porter

Bells Sparkling Ale

Delirium Noel

Smuttynose Robust Porter

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Scaldis

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

Victory Golden Monkey

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

St. Feuillien Cuvee de Noel

Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Anchor Chirstmas

Bells Porter

La Rulles Cuvee Meilleurs Voeux

Obscura Stout

On Cask: Froach Heather Ale

Some really interesting stuff on tap:

Hitachino Nest White

Smuttynose Robusst Porter

Bells Sparkling Ale

Delirium Noel

Smuttynose Robust Porter

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Scaldis

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

Victory Golden Monkey

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

St. Feuillien Cuvee de Noel

Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Anchor Chirstmas

Bells Porter

La Rulles Cuvee Meilleurs Voeux

Obscura Stout

On Cask: Froach Heather Ale

I will have to stop by for some of this before it is gone! Maybe tonight before the meat festivities. Anyone interested?

I will have to stop by for some of this before it is gone! Maybe tonight before the meat festivities. Anyone interested?

Dig. I'll aim for 5:45 so there's time for a couple beers, but it depends on how the pastrami-smoking goes.

Thank goodness for days off. (Feel free to move these to on-a-whim or the wagyu thread, moderator folks)

Dig. I'll aim for 5:45 so there's time for a couple beers, but it depends on how the pastrami-smoking goes.

Thank goodness for days off. (Feel free to move these to on-a-whim or the wagyu thread, moderator folks)

I'll probably get there a bit later as I am not at Vidalia until 8

Probably don't need more written on this thread, but i went, so...

Went here the other day and got an Atomica pizza but substituted pancetta for the salami, and added garlic. When we make a pizza like this at home, we use slices of pancetta, as opposed to chunks, so when the pizza came out, we sent it back not seeing the topping. I suppose we are both to blame--them for not putting enough on there for us to recognize that it was included, and us for uncompromisingly looking for it in a different style. At the time I didn't realize the crust was sub-par, until I read earlier comments in this thread, and recalled asking my wife during the meal if we should ask for sauce for crust dipping. I guess, for me, the crust was consciously edible but subliminally awful. Other than that, it was good. The lemonade that they served was delicious, and while I'm sure it's easy to make, I remain clueless. It was lemons and seltzer and i-don't-know-what, but I'd go back for that on a hot day.

No, no - periodic updates are a good thing. Thanks!

Day 1 - Puffy, bloated, irritable.

Day 2 - 20-ounces coffee, 13 Midol, warm bath.

Day 3 - Told the cocksucker to make his OWN dinner.

Day 4 - @$!(#$)%&)(@#&$)^^!@#^$^#@)$^@#

Day 5 - Cowboy Cut at Ray's The Steaks.

Day 6 - Signed up for yoga, bought a parakeet.

Went last night to Dupont location. We had 3 different small pizzas which were all ok. Mostly veggie pizzas which were cook well but seriously lacking in seasoning. First I tried a pinch of salt, no good, then a pinch of dry parmesan, nope and then the olive oil which was getting better. Ultimately I finally got some taste when I added all 3. But this should not be necessary when I ordered their Siciliana which has a ton of fresh vegetables, capers, etc. My 2 dining companions agreed the crust especially had no taste. Oh well back to 2 Amys.

Stopped by the Georgetown location today for a late lunch. I got an 8" atomica and the crust was quite dry. I doused the crust pieces pretty liberally with olive oil and they made a good enough accompaniment to the pizza, but I'd rather have a crust better integrated into the pizza as a whole. I haven't been here in well over a year and don't recall the crust being this dry before. Rereading the posts above, I see that other people have brought up this issue previously. I enjoyed the draft Penn Pils I had to drink.

Had a very good meal at the Dupont location a couple weeks ago. Had a crostini appetizer with prosciutto which was very tasty. My roasted tomato pizza special was great as well, much better than other pies I've had here in the past. Major plus for not having a soggy crust like some other places (although I do love 2 Amy's...certainly best pizza sauce in town).

My pizza last night at the P street location was much better than the one I had at the Georgetown location a while ago. At Georgetown, my pizza crust was thick around the edges and bready. My P street pizza crust was much thinner around the edges and crispy and chewy.
This was exactly our experience last night. The pizza at Dupont was noticeably better than the last few I've had at Georgetown. We got a large atomica last night (which I order probably more than any other combination at Georgetown) and it was pretty much perfect. Two of us split that and the salad of mixed greens with white anchovies and olives. The other member of our party had a small custom pizza with various meats (sausage, pepperoni, prosciutto, ?), which he also polished off. I'd been looking to have leftover pizza for breakfast this morning, but there was nothing leftover <_<. We ate a lot of very good pizza last night.

It had been quite a while since I'd been to the Dupont location because it's always such a long wait for a table. Its bigger size and enormous beer selection make Georgetown seem more appealing, even though the pizzas don't always hit the mark. With the new larger Dupont location opening soon, I foresee returning there much more often. I hope the quality of the pizza holds in the new spot :rolleyes: .

It has been awhile since we have been here but four of us hit the Georgetown location last night. We arrived around 7 and found about a 30 minute wait, which gave us a chance to sample some beers in the downstairs bar.

We were seated in about 30 minutes in the downstairs part of the restaurant. We shared an app of the crostini (garlic bread with goat cheese, prosciutto and mushroom). It was ok nothing special.

All four had pizza (2 atomicas, 1 margherita with anchovy, 1 paradisio). Everyone had the same conclusion on the pizza - it was just ok. Pizzas were slightly undercooked so they were a little doughy and the crust just seems to be missing something in my opinion.

For my money I would rather head to Two Amy's or Mia's.

The pizza here was REALLY solid tonight, with an excellent crisp to the crust as you take a bite, but not jaw-exercising chewy, just hearty. It was my first time sitting at the "pizza counter," and I was extremely grateful there was room for gebaby and me there, as at 8pm, there was quite a wait. Gebaby enjoyed watching the brick oven firing up, as well as watching the folks rolling out the dough and putting toppings on. Highly recommended if you want to entertain a little one.

The Bosco was a solid pizza, with a nice crunch of the crisp pizza + mushrooms and spinach. It really hits the spot for someone who forgot to eat all day. The funnier part was watching gebaby trying to reject spinach after it stuck to his tongue.

They are running an Oktoberfest pizza special with dill, beer-roasted red bliss pototoes and pesto. Sounds interesting.

ETA: This was at the Georgetown location.

Edited by goodeats

After my enthusiastic post about ChurchKey, I got a PM from a respected member, reminding me that the "other" great beer list in town (organization-wise) resides at the Dupont Pizzeria Paradiso. I'd tried twice to get in there in the past, but both times it was so mobbed that I didn't have a chance. On Wednesday night (the night before Thanksgiving), I managed to snag the only seat at the bar.

Many of us forget that only four years ago, there was almost NOTHING in this town for beer drinkers. Think about it: Thor Cheston opened Birreria Paradiso in Georgetown in February, 2006, and what was there before that? If you really strained, you could think of a couple places with passable beer programs, but not one single aspect of the DC dining scene - with the possible exception of cocktails - has improved so dramatically in such a short period of time.

We owe a debt to Pizzeria Paradiso for being a pioneer for truly great beer programs, and without question, they remain among the leaders to this very day. Tribute having been paid, I don't see the beer program (or the organization of the list) at the Dupont Paradiso being even close to what they're attempting to do over at ChurchKey.

But it's still great. A lot of people know that before I was a student of restaurants, I was a student of wine. What almost nobody knows is that before I was a student of wine, I was a student of beer. This was back in college, when it was all I could afford, and I absorbed all the information I could about the subject, like a sponge. Since then, the world of beer has passed me by and despite the sheer quantity of microbrews available on the market, I have to say that I don't entirely like what I see.

It's a lot like wine. Bigger is better. More is more. Who needs balance when you can have ... SIZE! Let's hop this bad boy to death, and make damned sure it's at least 7% alcohol. Not my cup of tea, nor my mug of beer.

I had a sad epiphany Wednesday evening when I started off with a Mikeller "Czech Style Pils ($9), followed by a Kaiser Pils ($5), the first from Belgium, the second from Pennsylvania. All I got from the Mikeller was bitter, dry hops, and the Kaiser was even less interesting. You see, back when I was a student of beer, Pilsner Urquell was one of the half-dozen best beers available in the United States. And it was nothing like the mass-produced swill it is now - it was hauntingly perfect, not at all dominated by hops, and was very, very close to being the primary reason I was going to travel to Prague.

And it's because of the legendary Pilsner Urquell that I've been in denial about Pilsners for as long as I have been. Wednesday night, I finally came to the conclusion that I just don't love them anymore - they're crisp, yes, but they're so often out of balance with their hops, especially the ones brewed in the United States (as Pizzeria Paradiso's beer list so succinctly describes in the Pilsner section - reading this forced me to re-examine the mental rut I've been stuck in regarding Pilsners).

I turned to the cask for solace. They were serving a Williams Brothers 80 Schilling Scottish Ale ($7), which was to be the fourth cask Scottish ale I've had this week. I took one sip, and all my despair about Pilsner went away - here was the balance I longed for, despite this caramel-colored ale weighing in at a mere 4.8% alcohol - lower than any other beer I saw on Pizzeria Paradiso's list. I got another glass. Then another. This is exactly why you go to German beer halls and see 70-year-old grandmothers downing 2-liter mugs of beer like they're drinking water. It was like falling in love again, for the first time.

And I'm really happy to report that I had the best pizza I've ever had at a Pizzeria Paradiso. One of my beefs with Pizzeria Paradiso's menu is that their "prix-fixe" pizzas are simply not very appealing, which is why I often fall back into default mode and order an Atomica. This time, I created my own, and it was by far the best combination of toppings I've had here: A plain old 12-inch Paradiso ($15.50) with sausage ($2.05) and spinach ($2.05). Next time you go, try this combination and you'll love it. But it wasn't just the toppings that were so good, it was the crust itself. I have a long and established track-record of complaining about Pizzeria Paradiso's leaden crust, but this was lighter, airier, more complex, showed a slight yeasty component on the nose, and had an appropriate amount of salt. It was a great pizza, and I liked it so much that I bought a second one (an 8-inch Margherita ($10.25)) to take home for lunch the next day.

The big money appears to be showing some confidence in Dupont South (BLT Burger, Kabaji Grill) due to its ability to pull customers up from downtown, but I have to wonder if the smart money isn't looking toward Dupont West.

Cheers,

Rocks.

On Wednesday night (the night before Thanksgiving), I managed to snag the only seat at the bar...

...It was a great pizza, and I liked it so much that I bought a second one (an 8-inch Margherita ($10.25)) to take home for lunch the next day.

Is there any doubt as to why he has risen to become our fearless leader?

This post reminds me of "The Forbidden Donut" episode of The Simpsons in too many ways to even mention, most especially how enraged the devil becomes when his plan to torture Homer by making him eat donuts forever backfires.

More intriguing is how this evokes, in my mind, a revised staging of Huis Clos with Don as Joseph, a pizza as Ines, Thanksgiving dinner as Estelle, and, of course, Waitman as Valet, with Don uttering his take on the famous line, "Hell is other pizzas."

Is there any doubt as to why he has risen to become our fearless leader?

This post reminds me of "The Forbidden Donut" episode of The Simpsons in too many ways to even mention, most especially how enraged the devil becomes when his plan to torture Homer by making him eat donuts forever backfires.

More intriguing is how this evokes, in my mind, a revised staging of Huis Clos with Don as Joseph, a pizza as Ines, Thanksgiving dinner as Estelle, and, of course, Waitman as Valet, with Don uttering his take on the famous line, "Hell is other pizzas."

If anyone asks me why I am so devoted to this board, I intend to direct them to this post.

Our first experience with the P Street location of PP didn't exactly lead me to thinking this could be our go-to pizza place when we get the urge.

The nice beer list (for a pizzeria) along with a most pleasant staff make for a good experience...along with the fact that at 5 o'clock, the place was virtually exmpty.

But to my taste, there's a bit too much semolina, either in the dough, or on the bottom of the pie...I'm not a fan of the crunchy stuff, and it has nothing to do with Naples style-pizza. A heavy hand on the cheese, and a really light hand on the anchovies and capers (we ordered a large Napoletana)led to a bit of an unbalanced pie.

In a pinch, sure. For that weekly pizza fix, not really.

Third location in Old Town Alexandria? From today's Top Shelf blog:

Pizzeria Paradiso owner Ruth Gresser confirmed today that she will open the third location of her restaurant at 118 King Street in Alexandria, where the Discovery Channel store used to be.

<snip>

Gresser hopes to open the spot by June or July of next year, and begin construction in March on the 3,300 square foot space.

I had two great pies here yesterday, one was the 'Hannukah' Special with a shtikl of potatoes and a shmear of ricotta cheese, and the other was the 'Bottarga', which had two large fresh over-easy eggs on top. With the Christmas Ale (10% alc. or so), it was a real holiday treat-great staff adds to the homey atmosphere of the new P St. location, especially at 5PM or so when it was fairly empty.

(Love the fresh mozzarella too)

Ate at the P St. location last night for the first time. As many have mentioned, the beer selection was interesting and I enjoyed the two I had: Ommegang Abbey Dubble (bottle-$6) and a Canadian Dark Belgian from the draft list that I can't remember the name of (I believe it was $7).

While the beers were good, I was decidedly less impressed with the pizza. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad...but to me it was just meh. I wouldn't head here over 2 Amy's just for the pies and I've been spoiled enough by the beer list at Churchkey that if I really wanted to explore a wide variety of beers (as opposed to a few solid options to go with my pizza), I'd head there. I'll echo some of the sentiments above that the crust was a bit on the flavorless side and on an 8 inch Atomica that was lacking any of the heat I had assumed would be fairly dominant in the pie, the crust to topping ratio was decidedly in favor of the crust. The crust had nice crunch but there just wasn't much flavor going on.

I'd probably stop back in just to see what was new on draft if I'm in the area, but I won't run back here for the pizza...

It's long past time for Pizzeria Paradiso's free critical pass on their pizza to come to an end. The crust here has never been great, but on my most recent visit, it was worse than ever. Up to two full inches of dry, dense, flavorless, toppingless crust ran the circumference of my 12-inch Quatro Formaggi with parsley and garlic ($16.75), and added toppings of olives ($1.95), mushrooms ($1.95), and fresh sliced tomato ($2.25). I'd estimate that 25-33% of the pizza was nothing better than hard, thick, mediocre bread - yes, the crust surely contains good ingredients, and it was "fresh from the oven," but so are Whole Foods dinner rolls if you catch them at the right moment.

I have a long and established track-record of complaining about Pizzeria Paradiso's leaden crust, but this was lighter, airier, more complex, showed a slight yeasty component on the nose, and had an appropriate amount of salt. It was a great pizza, and I liked it so much that I bought a second one (an 8-inch Margherita ($10.25)) to take home for lunch the next day.

And a visit to the Georgetown Paradiso last night splits the difference between the above two posts. One thing's for sure: Pizzeria Paradiso no longer has the "dry, dense" crust that it had for such a long time; it's now soft and bready, but there's still too much of it around the rim, and last night it was bland and uninteresting. A large Quattro Formaggi ($17.99) was a decent pizza, but not a great pizza by any means. The beers are still wonderful, and last night they had Sierra Nevada Brown Ale ($8) in cask.

Cheers,

Rocks.

there's still too much of it around the rim

With some quality olive oil and a little sea salt, rim dipping can be very satisfying in its own way. That's assuming your crust has all the qualities of a chewy and complexly-flavored artisan bread, which some certainly do.

Had dinner at the DuPont location last night. I had the special pizza last night that was roasted duck, peas, carrots, sunchokes, and other ingredients that I cannot remember. It doesn't really matter since the sunchokes completely dominated everything else. The crust was bland as Don noted below, and I have several times in the past. I go here because of the beer selection and usually end up ordering a pizza versus getting off my ass and heading somewhere else. It's my own fault.

The Ridgeway Ivanhoe Pale Ale was damn tasty and almost made up for it.