"Classic" Cocktails in the District

Blimey, Tom. First Jake gets you to add Chartreuse to an Aviation...delicious. And now this Chartreuse sparkler. I sense a trend in the making. Hello again, trip to the liquor store! :)

Ahh, the flying monk..that one was on the chateruse web site for a bit. It had a different name, the last word or, something like it. Try the angry dragon for knocking the last remanents of the day from your head. 1 oz charteruse, 1 oz tequila. Serve VERY chilled. :) I think that one spured the conversation that became that sparkling drink. :wub:

Bonus points for the following:

French 68

French 76

French 95

French 125

:)

A French 76 is a French 75 made with vodka instead of gin.

French 68:

1/4 oz brandy

3/4 oz Calvados

1 dash grenadine syrup

1 dash sugar syrup

1/4 oz lemon juice

4 oz Champagne

French 95:

3/4 oz bourbon whiskey

3/4 oz simple syrup

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

1 oz fresh orange juice

Champagne

French 125

2 oz sweet and sour mix

1 oz brandy

chilled Champagne

1 slice lemon

Now, where did the name "French 75" come from?

From Wikipedia:

It was first made, in spite of its name, by American army officers during World War I. They named it after the French-made 75mm cannon. Legend has it that the name came about because the effect of the cocktail was similar to being bombarded with a French 75 cannon.

Also, sub lemon juice for sour mix and ditch the OJ. IMHO.

A French 76 is a French 75 made with vodka instead of gin.

French 68:

1/4 oz brandy

3/4 oz Calvados

1 dash grenadine syrup

1 dash sugar syrup

1/4 oz lemon juice

4 oz Champagne

French 95:

3/4 oz bourbon whiskey

3/4 oz simple syrup

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

1 oz fresh orange juice

Champagne

French 125

2 oz sweet and sour mix

1 oz brandy

chilled Champagne

1 slice lemon

From the top of your head?! :)

Would that be a small, round, bottle of orange bitters? I like 'em as much as the next guy, but as either the secret ingredient in a Martini or as a citric topnote to another kind of bitters. They're plastered all over the PS7 drink list, though the wonderful staff of Adam, Jaren, and Laura will all make more classical versions--and Mara is a real, live, Sazerac-making Yat!

In case anyone is interested, I believe I've perfected a recipe for a Manhattan. Well, at least to my taste...

"Almost Perfect" Manhattan

Get some good quality tart dried cherries, put 'em in a small bottle, and cover with Vya extra dry vermouth. Let soak for at least a week. Keeps for many weeks in the fridge.

2 1/2 oz of your favorite rye (eg, Sazerac)

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Formula vermouth [at the risk of sounding like JoeH - no other! :) ]

~ 1/2 t cherry liquid

2 dashes Angostura bitters

1 dash Fee Bros. orange bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a few of the cherries.

As Graham Chapman once said, "buttocks up!"

That sounds fantastic, I had to reread it to make sure that you meant the cherry soaking liquid. I have not tried that, but now I will. Otherwise, it is almost identical to my recipe, but I use 1/2 oz of both dry (which you would get from the cherry liquid) and sweet vermouth (Vya for both - but I will try it with Antica).

Tonight's classic cocktails were the Pogo Stick and the Pink Palace. The Pogo Stick is a Trader Vic's drink of gin, lime, pineapple, and grapefruit juices blended with ice (oh and a little simple syrup). Quite fun, and when crafted with fresh juice is on a whole other plain than the normal frozen drinks. The Pink Palace was the old stand by for the Polo Club at the Beverly Hill Hotel, and while it has a fru fru name, it is far from that. It is 2 shots of gin, 1/2 shot of Grand Marnier, 1/2 shot fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 shot of grenadine (please use Sonoma Syrup Pomegranate syrup, and you will never buy that cough syrup crap again)

This week, Buffalo Trace is releasing an eight-year-old, barrel-proof rye as part of the Antique collection, called "Thomas H. Handy." That wouldn't suck in this particular drink (I find Sazerac 18-yr-old to be too woody and not rye-y enough for cocktails like this).

I wouldn't know a cocktail from a glass of apple juice and a good friend is coming to town this weekend and has asked about "martinis in dc."

We are having dinner at Dino on Sat night, I know Chris does interesting drinks there which I am sure we will partake of, but does anyone have a lounge-y location for afterward where we could fulfill his martini request? Close to Dino would be nice, but we have no problem wandering around town either.

I wouldn't know a cocktail from a glass of apple juice and a good friend is coming to town this weekend and has asked about "martinis in dc."

We are having dinner at Dino on Sat night, I know Chris does interesting drinks there which I am sure we will partake of, but does anyone have a lounge-y location for afterward where we could fulfill his martini request? Close to Dino would be nice, but we have no problem wandering around town either.

Aroma is quite nice.

Dean is being modest?

A friend who is seriously into martinis--and considers herself a bit of an expert--nursed one at Dino while waiting for me to arrive. She said it was the best one ever she's ever ordered in a bar or restaurant and she's been drinking them around the world for around three decades.

Cool old Post article about the Jack Rose, a classic cocktail made with Applejack. Anybody seen this stuff around?
The liquor store by the Mariott on M Street (And...what...20th? Has it been that long? E-ball Mariott) had it the last time I was in there. They had at least two grades of the stuff: Cheap or expensive, IIRC, but not the one in the middle.

Schneider's has Laird's Applejack; VA ABCs carry the "Captain Applejack" label, which is the equivalent of Laird's Bonded (apparently under a different label for the state stores in Virginia and North Carolina).

I feel a reference book binge coming on. Which of the many cocktail making/history books available would you recommend? Is there any store in the area that has a good selection? (Not Amazon.com, because I can't flip through the books that way. I love the internets, but... sometimes, you just need to heft a book and page through it, y'know?)

I feel a reference book binge coming on. Which of the many cocktail making/history books available would you recommend? Is there any store in the area that has a good selection? (Not Amazon.com, because I can't flip through the books that way. I love the internets, but... sometimes, you just need to heft a book and page through it, y'know?)
There's a particularly nice history of one of the mid-19th century bartending gods, "Professor" Jerry Thomas, that just came out a couple of weeks ago, called "Imbibe!," by David Wondrich. The New York Times did a big review of it that did include a full chapter excerpt, but they seem to have removed that. Not only was the chapter they excerpted interesting, the layout and design was gorgeous. In any case, various Borders around the area, including the big one at White Flint, have it in stock (gotta love their online inventory search.)

Dale DeGroff's "The Craft of The Cocktail" has a fairly extensive section on history, and he's at least partially responsible for the resurgence of classic cocktails in this day and age. Plus, having 500 of his cocktail recipes on hand is no bad thing. This one also shows in-stock at various Borders around the area.

Finally, if you're looking for super-ultra-classic, it appears that there's a reprint of the Savoy Cocktail Book by Harry Craddock, originally published in the 1930s, being released this month (but not yet available). I can't speak for the quality of the reprint, but the original is utterly fantastic - gorgeous woodcut illustrations, and some wonderfully dry asides in between all the cocktail recipes. For example, after the recipe for the Corpse Reviver #2, there's a note that "four of these taken in quick succession will unrevive the corpse again."

It's been out of print for a few years, but if you can find Paul Harrington's "Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century," get it. Informative, pretty comprehensive on the classics, and the artwork is stunning.

Finally, if you're looking for super-ultra-classic, it appears that there's a reprint of the Savoy Cocktail Book by Harry Craddock, originally published in the 1930s, being released this month (but not yet available).
Or you can choose from hundreds of copies of many different editions, including the first, here.

I love a good Manhattan, and there are many good ones around (including the maison Miller "Almost Perfect"). But earlier tonight I had one of the best ever, thanks to Chris Cunningham at Dino, who mixed a Willet rye with Carpano Antica Formula, Peychaud bitters, and a light touch of cinnamon syrup.

Wow.

<hic>

I love a good Manhattan, and there are many good ones around (including the maison Miller "Almost Perfect"). But earlier tonight I had one of the best ever, thanks to Chris Cunningham at Dino, who mixed a Willet rye with Carpano Antica Formula, Peychaud bitters, and a light touch of cinnamon syrup.

Wow.

<hic>

Damm you Mrs P as I never liked Rye before! She forced me to taste it! Forced me I say!

Damm you Mrs P as I never liked Rye before! She forced me to taste it! Forced me I say!

Mwahahahaha! My evil plan is coming to fruition.

That schounds schpicy.

Generally I don't like spices lurking about in a cocktail, but this one was barely sweet enough and barely spicy enough to make me think "what th' heck did he put in here, anyway?"