Extreme Eating

Jonathan

how crazy is this article? i almost question its credibility.

Almost? This is pure crap. Look at the really questionable photos. Wearing forest cammo for hunting penguins on snow? The photo of him cutting down a suguaro cactus looks like it was taken on a set.

Look at the really questionable photos. Wearing forest cammo for hunting penguins on snow?
I never saw that Penguin movie, but are penguins that bright? Would it make a difference what you wore? There are thousands of them sitting there, and it's not like they're going to raise the alarm and fly away. Long as you're warm, who cares??

Seriously, do WE even have tenderloins? I don't think so, and we're much bigger than a lap dog. I could be wrong, though.

I dunno, it was an interesting article, or at least entertaining given its questionable nature (I'll admit I scrolled up halfway through to check for evidence of an April Fools-type date). The part that really got to me was where where he discussed sleeping with Ruth Reichl for 15 hours. Other than that, he raises good points on a few things.

This has to be a hoax. It's just too insane, especially the final section about cannibalism.

Google his "former model" girlfriend, with the ridiculous name of Alexis Bridgemont, and all you get is two links to that story. Hmmmm....

This has to be a hoax. It's just too insane, especially the final section about cannibalism.
You're right, by the end I was pretty much wondering 'Where's the cannibalism? It's the only logical conclusion.' And then there it was!

That said, do we ever see her hands? I'll bet she's missing a finger or something.

This has to be a hoax.

Like any good parody, this obvious-from-the-first draws on elements of reality that are already so absurd as to be self-mocking--like a restaurant catering to go-go venture capitalists serving lion killed in a fenced-in, baited kill-park with an entrance fee of $30,000--only we take them seriously. This hyperbole is already a part of so many press kits and public proclamations, and so close to our perverted reality, and the fact that we want, we need, (that we are so easily fooled into believing in) such distasteful purported realities to mean something is the real object of condemnation.

This shit is so Third Reich, yet we are so eager to believe.

Google his "former model" girlfriend, with the ridiculous name of Alexis Bridgemont, and all you get is two links to that story. Hmmmm....

ake a look at the actual cover of the newspaper this appeared in:

http://www.tian.cc/2006/05/cannibals-in-arizona.html

After seeing this, for me, it is no longer a question of whether or not it is a hoax. Still, it is a very sick parody that reflects a very curious sense of humor.

ake a look at the actual cover of the newspaper this appeared in:

http://www.tian.cc/2006/05/cannibals-in-arizona.html

After seeing this, for me, it is no longer a question of whether or not it is a hoax. Still, it is a very sick parody that reflects a very curious sense of humor.

Or is it that the parody reflects very sick times? Again, that parody was close enough to reality for many to take it, originally, at face value. I don't think that the author's focus was on humor.

What I find particularly disturbing is how immodest today's "Modest Proposal" is--and how close to our own actual immodest yearnings.

How many people do you think would run to sign up today to be at a dinner where the last of an extinct species were served? (Which is more or less what happens every time we sit down to Maryland crabs or Chesapeake oysters--but my aren't our lawns lush and green!).

How many people do you think would run to sign up today to be at a dinner where the last of an extinct species were served?

Well, I wouldn't do it...it seems impossible for such an event to avoid conflict with the scientific need for sample preservation. Taste is such a subjective matter that I don't see how eating even a culturally-significant extinct food source truly serves any purpose but vanity.

Perhaps that's the difference between eating exotic food, and eating something strictly because it's exotic and happens to be edible. To be considered a food, I think as a prerequisite it should have to in generous supply, or at least sustainable. Which is worse, dining on your found-in-a-glacier dodo drumstick, or seasoning it with powdered Martian meteorites? I think the former; the latter is exceedingly rare, but Mars is pretty big and the cosmos continues to land a few chip shots in our back forty.

Consider the obvious follow-on: what if you relax the "last of..." aspect? What if cloned mammoth were readily available? I'd definitely consider that. How about cloned stegosaurus? Not part of the human food tradition, but if it were tasty, I have no doubt people would eat it.

Still... Fess up, how many of you saw the news item about the Yeti crab and didn't at some point think about drawn butter, as I did?

i thought about it all day, and as the day grew longer, more and more i realized how stupid i was for believing it for even a second....even if i was really, really tired when i read it.

mmmmmmmmmm, penguin liver with the Nuge.