Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

2 hours ago, washingtony said:

man, that was a good pizza.  it was my first asparagus of the season and offered a brief glimmer of hope that spring always brings.  and at this point, I'll take whatever hope I can find, whether it's in logarithmic charts or pizza.  

and I love that they offer their tacos in normal-taco size rather than the mini-taco amous boush.  every time my wife and I went to Happy Gyro last year we'd say "if only we could get these tacos full sized!"  who knew we could, and at home no less! 

finally, the sourdough and fig gelato is really good--it's not too sweet, which I enjoy for desserts, though a touch more fig jam would be welcomed.  we've been baking so much lately that it was nice to find sourdough in a different form and to have a dessert we'd never make at home.

we gotta take our joy where we can find it these days, and we're lucky happy gyro is serving so much in which to find joy! 

Last night, we got the five-cheese pizza - every bit as good as the asparagus, albeit in a different way. Each piece has one, impossibly mild, ultra-thin slice of jalapeño which enhances (rather than detracts from) the piece - I wouldn't think that was possible.

These are six of the eight pieces. This may not look like much, but these are some of the greatest pizzas I've ever eaten:

KomiPizza.jpg

We got tacos too, but I didn't have any (lunch report: "They were great.")

The sourdough was had with a five-hour roasted lamb shoulder this evening, bought from Georgetown Butcher - as good as sourdough bread can be.

The sourdough-and-fig gelato is still in the freezer, waiting to be enjoyed, probably tomorrow. I've pondered the moral ramifications of making an ice-cream sandwich (literally, an ice-cream sandwich), with the sourdough-and-fig gelato in between two slices of the sourdough bread, or maybe open-faced atop one slice. If that sounds revolting, ask yourselves how it's any different than bread pudding, pain perdu, a bowl of cereal, or for that matter, a regular old High's Dairy Mart ice-cream sandwich which is made with cocoa-wheat bread wafers encasing vanilla ice cream.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Last night, we got the five-cheese pizza - every bit as good as the asparagus, albeit in a different way. Each piece has one, impossibly mild, ultra-thin slice of jalapeño which enhances (rather than detracts from) the piece - I wouldn't think that was possible.

These are six of the eight pieces. This may not look like much, but these are some of the greatest pizzas I've ever eaten:

KomiPizza.jpg

We got tacos too, but I didn't have any (lunch report: "They were great.")

The sourdough was had with a five-hour roasted lamb shoulder this evening, bought from Georgetown Butcher - as good as sourdough bread can be.

The sourdough-and-fig gelato is still in the freezer, waiting to be enjoyed, probably tomorrow. I've pondered the moral ramifications of making an ice-cream sandwich (literally, an ice-cream sandwich), with the sourdough-and-fig gelato in between two slices of the sourdough bread, or maybe open-faced atop one slice. If that sounds revolting, ask yourselves how it's any different than bread pudding, pain perdu, a bowl of cereal, or for that matter, a regular old High's Dairy Mart ice-cream sandwich which is made with cocoa-wheat bread wafers encasing vanilla ice cream.

Would you happen to know what time the takeout menu comes online? I assume daily and not the day before, correct? Seems the items sell out fairly quickly. Would be quite the drive only to be rewarded with (no pizza for you.) 

1 hour ago, Robert Rymarz said:

Would you happen to know what time the takeout menu comes online? I assume daily and not the day before, correct? Seems the items sell out fairly quickly. Would be quite the drive only to be rewarded with (no pizza for you.)

from my stalking of the menu to check for new items, it seems like the menu updates intermittently over the course of the afternoon.  there have definitely been days where one pizza sells out but another option is added later in the afternoon that wasn't on the menu initially, so it's worth checking back.  also, they space out pizza orders and you can select pick-up time (unlike orders that don't include a pizza), so no need to wait until you're ready to come pick up to put in an order.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jca76 said:

there have definitely been days where one pizza sells out but another option is added later in the afternoon that wasn't on the menu initially, so it's worth checking back.

That’s right. I suspect if they run out of asparagus (for example) they’ll 86 that pizza, and switch to the five cheese (for example).

• Like 1

Do you to all of the raves above, we got curio from here this weekend.  I’ve never had a Reuben before, but I thought the Ruben was phenomenal, one of the best sandwiches I’ve had in a long time.  We thought that the gyro was good, but my husband didn’t think the filling was that much better than that at a good gyro place ( though the bread was very good).  The asparagus pizza was, as promised, one of the better pizzas I’ve had, and reheated wonderfully.   It is also big enough for dinner for two people, maybe with a side.   What really impressed me,  besides the Reuben, was the side of large beans with mixed greens. So flavorful, and I think these were the most perfectly cooked beans I’ve ever had in my life end and as a vegetarian I’ve had a lot of beans!  Each bean was completely intact and plump and distinct, yet meltingly soft. I have no idea how they did this.  The chocolate cake was good, but we didn’t find it special. 

17 hours ago, sandynva said:

but my husband didn’t think the filling was that much better than that at a good gyro place

but that's exactly what makes it so impressive -- they're accomplishing that with tofu!  (as a pescatarian who remembers meat as delicious, a successful facsimile of a meat dish manages to evoke the satisfying textures and flavors that are often difficult to get in vegetarian dishes.)  

18 hours ago, sandynva said:

The asparagus pizza was, as promised, one of the better pizzas I’ve had, and reheated wonderfully.

I had the Asparagus and Basil Cream Pizza again last night - the second half of it will be enjoyed in the next twenty minutes. With tax and tip, this is over $40, and it's worth it. Look how finely chopped that asparagus is!

KomiPizza2.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2020 at 8:18 PM, will_5198 said:

I was excited to try the Pineapple Upside Down Cake flavor this summer. It was fairly appalling, and did not represent any of my favorite parts of a pineapple upside down cake.

It was so bad it soured me on the brand as a whole -- if that flavor was approved, it's hard to trust them moving forward. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, susan said:

Interesting that you say that. I was so excited when Jeni's opened in Bethesda. A friend and I went a few weeks ago and we got the Sweet Cream Biscuits and Peach Jam. It was so overly sweet and gross that i ended up throwing it away. Wasn't worth the calories. All of their ice cream flavors look achingly sweet. The lines are long every night, maybe I picked the wrong flavor.

Isn't it remarkable how close "appealing" and "appalling" are?

For those of you who don't want to pay $12 per pint for Jeni's (that's about how much it costs, right?), I'm going to make a suggestion:

If I could name the 10-best pints of ice cream I've ever had in my entire life, all 10 of them would be from Happy Gyro (i.e. Komi). It costs $15 per pint, and that's a price you'll gladly pay. If you have any questions, please post them on the Komi thread (I'll eventually split Happy Gyro into its own thread).

If I could name the 10-best pizzas I've ever had in my entire life, all 10 of them would also be from Happy Gyro. They cost $32 for an eight-slice pizza, enough to savor dinner-for-two unless you have enormous appetites. The white, vegetable-based pizzas are my favorites - they're magical (you might be tempted to order a pepperoni-based or sausage-based pizza your first time, but don't - the meats are wonderful, but the vegetables and white sauce allow the crust to shine the most (the dough has been in the works for 17 years, with thousands of tweaks, and they've gone through 4 pizza ovens trying to achieve perfection in their crust)). 

This is Komi-quality gelato and pizza.

From a consumer's point-of-view, nobody in the world is more familiar with Happy Gyro's (i.e. Komi's) gelato and pizza than I am (unless there's some lunatic I don't know about), so I'm pretty confident here. Just ask on the Komi thread if you need specific details (I've had just about everything on the menu) - feel free to write "Rocks sent me" when you order (click here).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rovers2000 said:

Sweet lord...that Corn Gelato with Polenta Crumble and Blueberry swirl is going to cause me to take a drive in from the suburbs for.  Holy smokes.

I'm picking some up in about two hours, and if I try it tonight (possible), I'll let you know how it is. By the way, the banana gelato is on the sweet end of the normal spectrum (in a good way, but do expect sweetness here); the olive oil gelato is the one I'd recommend for people to start with - I've gotten this probably five times (as opposed to twice with the banana (which is much newer)), and it (the olive oil) is druggingly delicious.

Notice they also have sweet corn on their white pizza, which means this is in super-prime season.

The past 2-3 weeks, their white pizza has featured summer squash. Every time I have a Happy Gyro white pizza, I think, 'this can't possibly keep getting better,' but it always does. What's interesting is that they're now putting summer squash on their red pizza with chorizo (*). This probably means that their corn is in higher season than their summer squash, and that the chorizo is being used as the dominant component - either this, or they have too much of two good things, and they only offer one white pizza at a time and didn't want to mix the flavors.

(*) I don't think they did this at first, but the last couple of summer squash pizzas I've tried have had ultra-thin, ultra-tiny, ultra-mild slices of jalapeño on top - not enough to create any heat; just to barely enhance the flavor. Interestingly, they added some Taleggio to the last one I tried which I thought would be an unmitigated disaster ... but everything was still incredibly harmonious and mild, and I would have absolutely not guessed there was any Taleggio on this - no way. From what I've observed, they've ever-so-slowly been adding more-and-more assertive components to their summer squash (which, to my palate, tastes as fresh and snappy and sweet as the first time I had it) - they may just be playing around with flavors, and I'll tell you what: No restaurant in town creates more beautiful flavor combinations than this one. Not everything has been perfect, and I could list some flaws with dishes that could be easily eliminated (**), but there aren't many.

(**) ... wondering if I'm going to get an email from Johnny now. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

Sweet lord...that Corn Gelato with Polenta Crumble and Blueberry swirl is going to cause me to take a drive in from the suburbs for.  Holy smokes.

The corn gelato is a best-case scenario. If you're making the trip, try 2-3 different flavors, and take at least a couple of bites before it freezes/unfreezes (which it does quite nicely).

Corn1.jpegCorn2.jpeg 

Better still, bring a spoon and scarf the whole damned thing on your way home.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

The corn gelato is a best-case scenario. If you're making the trip, try 2-3 different flavors, and take at least a couple of bites before it freezes/unfreezes (which it does quite nicely).

Corn1.jpegCorn2.jpeg 

Better still, bring a spoon and scarf the whole damned thing on your way home.

I will be getting a pint of each.  Will be heading down within a week.  Appreciate the post or this literally (sadly) wouldn’t have even hit the radar. 

4 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

I will be getting a pint of each.  Will be heading down within a week.  Appreciate the post or this literally (sadly) wouldn’t have even hit the radar. 

If you're getting two pints, try the olive oil with cocoa nibs (it's elegant and perfect); if you like something nice and sweet (but of equally high quality), get the banana with praline. Write me the day you go, and I can advise on any others. 

The White Pizza tonight ($32) with Summer Corn, Mixed Cherry Tomatoes, Grilled Sweet Onion, Jersey Mozz, and Dried Olive was just as perfect as these pizzas always are. The corn was small and sweet, the tomatoes were just incredible when they exploded, the onion was sweeter than the corn, the sauce with Jersey Mozz was great (I don't know what goes into their white "sauce," or how much cheese is integrated into it (some of the mixture is very white, most of it more of an ivory yellow), but it has no room for improvement), the olive bits were undetectable - until you picked off one and tried it and they, too, were packed with flavor. 

No matter how good this looks, it's even better on the palate. For your first bite, rip off a piece of the cornicione and see how good the crust is, then dig in as you see fit. When you reheat this at home, preheat your oven to 350 with a high-quality baking sheet (I have one of those gold-colored All-Clad baking sheets that I bought 20-years ago for mega bucks - I'm not even sure they make them anymore). Put the pizza on when everything is fully heated, and it takes maybe 5-6 minutes to reach temperature - use common sense: The preheated sheet will re-crisp the crust (burn it at your own peril). Stick a fingertip on the toppings to make sure everything is piping hot (everything should be fine - remember, this was just recently cooked, and this is just a reheat). I've found that each reheat (not including the first) lessens the quality by 10% - don't fall into the trap of reheat/refrigerate/reheat/refrigerate/reheat - if you're going to finish it off the next day, don't refrigerate it; leave it out on the counter ovenight, and it will be virtually the same.

corntomatoesonions.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Isn't it remarkable how close "appealing" and "appalling" are?

This is completely unrelated to Komi, Happy Gyro or this thread, but the line above made me think of this Mark Twain quote:

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Letter to George Bainton, 15 October 1888

• Like 3

If there is a better pizza being made in the DMV right now, someone needs to let me know.  I had the one Rocks had the other day and the one with italian sausage and red sauce from last week and I was amazed on the quality of the very different pies.  

Johnny continues to impress after all these years, a truly transcendent talent that has chosen to stick around in this area.  Lucky us.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DPop said:

If there is a better pizza being made in the DMV right now, someone needs to let me know.  I had the one Rocks had the other day and the one with italian sausage and red sauce from last week and I was amazed on the quality of the very different pies.  

Johnny continues to impress after all these years, a truly transcendent talent that has chosen to stick around in this area.  Lucky us.

Watermelon/fig/yogurt popsicles.  Yeah, they're delish.

• Like 3

I want to shout from the rooftops about Happy Gyro's Heirloom Cucumber Crudité ($9) - a selection of Dragon Egg, Armenian Snake, Lemon, and Potato Cucumbers, sliced and served with a dill-fill of *really* good ranch dressing.

Left in the refrigerator overnight, and served chilled, this was an exercise in both pomology and hedonism.

When you order your dinner at Happy Gyro *tonight*, get an order of these, leave them in the refrigerator, and have them for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just when I thought their pizzas couldn't get any better, we ordered this week's pie featuring fresh peaches, olives, salami and red onions. It was fantastic! Ours had a tomato vodka sauce that I really enjoyed. It also was available with a creamy garlic sauce. As always, the crust was perfect. I also loved their new dessert offering--a goat cheese gelato with blackberry and shortbread. Heavenly. 

• Like 3

If it is on the menu, treat yourself to Happy Gyro's Basque cheesecake. I am not crazy about traditional cheesecake, and I had never had Basque cheesecake before, but I certainly will order it again. The outside was deliciously caramelized, while the inside was oh so creamy. After admiring the beautiful burnt exterior, I drizzled the berry sauce on top. I thought nothing could top Happy Gyro's gelato, but this is just as good, if not better.

• Like 4

100% agree about the cheesecake. I'm typically not one for cheesecake, but this was spectacular. Also spectacular was everything else we ordered: pizza, fig/tomato salad, lamb gyro (with that homemade pita!), squash with yogurt, olive oil gelato, goat cheese blackberry gelato. Happy Gyro is executing takeout with a level of craftsmanship and care that puts other places to shame.

We got the speck pizza and the flavor and texture blew me away. I was admittedly a little skeptical of how good these pizzas could be compared to other top notch pizza places, but I was delightfully surprised. 

What's the spicy kick in the goat cheese blackberry gelato? Maybe cayenne? That kick makes it even more addictive than it might be otherwise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horacebailey14 said:

We got the speck pizza and the flavor and texture blew me away. I was admittedly a little skeptical of how good these pizzas could be compared to other top notch pizza places, but I was delightfully surprised. 

We couldn't decide between two of the pizzas last Tuesday, so we got them both.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 17.35.53.png

We were blown away by takeout from Happy Gyro on Saturday evening. The gyro was great, according to my wife, and my celery root reuben (v 3.0) was outsize and interesting. I understood the reuben-(esque?) overtones, I think, with (perhaps?) braised, corned celery root stepping in as the 'meat'.

The sides were similarly fabulous, the corn/orzo/carrot/halloumi salad delicious, as was the gigante beans/spinach dish.

Pizza next time, I expect, but we had to start with gyros and that reuben, and are very happy that we did.

Happy to see they started incorporating meats into their menu!  Tried the lamb souvlaki pita and waffle fries last night and both were very good.  Excited to try out the pork shoulder pita next time too.

For me this has easily been the highlight of quarantine takeout - I just wished they offered a more convenient delivery service than Skip the Line.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

When you go pick up, do you just park the car in front (with blinkers on)?

You can do that, there is an outdoor table at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Komi for picking up food. Or, when you receive your confirmation, they include a phone number to text upon arrival and they will bring the food to your car. 

17th street has become pretty much a 1.5 lane road with lots of outdoor tents lining the streets. But pick up outside of Happy Gyro was easy. 

• Like 1

Last night:  White pizza with cotechino-spiced kabocha squash, arugula & egg; Lamb souvlaki; Fig salad; Sweet potato, orzo & corn Salad; grilled kabocha squash with lime yogurt, hazelnut-garum vinaigrette, scallions, anchovy, nuts and dairy; Sesame ice cream with shortbread & sungold honey; Beeswax ice cream & cashew brittle.  All great.  The grilled squash was the biggest surprise.

• Like 3

I didn't think I could love any dessert more than Happy Gyro's Olive Oil Gelato and Cocoa Crumble until their Basque Cheesecake came along. Now both of these have been topped. Happy Gyro's Brown Butter Ice Cream with Passionfruit and Chocolate takes frozen dessert to a whole new level. I can't think of an ice cream I have enjoyed more. Creamy, delicious and texturally interesting. This one is a winner.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DIShGo said:

I didn't think I could love any dessert more than Happy Gyro's Olive Oil Gelato and Cocoa Crumble until their Basque Cheesecake came along. Now both of these have been topped. Happy Gyro's Brown Butter Ice Cream with Passionfruit and Chocolate takes frozen dessert to a whole new level. I can't think of an ice cream I have enjoyed more. Creamy, delicious and texturally interesting. This one is a winner.

Yeah, it is.  

Why mess with perfection? Our most recent pint of Brown Butter Passionfruit Ice Cream  had Chocowaffle instead of Chocolate. While this ice cream is still incredibly delicious, this change is not an improvement. I prefer the original contrast of dark chocolate with passionfruit instead of these sweeter waffle bits.

1 hour ago, DIShGo said:

Why mess with perfection? Our most recent pint of Brown Butter Passionfruit Ice Cream  had Chocowaffle instead of Chocolate. While this ice cream is still incredibly delicious, this change is not an improvement. I prefer the original contrast of dark chocolate with passionfruit instead of these sweeter waffle bits.

I agree, but we're talking a decline from 100% perfection to 98% perfection - I'm pretty sure the pastry chef was going for more textural contrast here, but the chocolate itself was plenty toothsome (sorry), and was different enough (texturally) than the passionfruit where it was perfect as it stood - Daisuke Utagawa's "cuisine of subtraction" and all that.

• Like 1

Pro tip: For those ordering both pizza and the (new-ish) Garlic Pita with Whipped Feta & Marinated Olives (and trust me, you want to order this) … you’ll quickly find out that the pita is a scarce and prized commodity. So when it’s gone, break off the cornicione of your pizza slices and swab liberally - two great tastes that taste great together.

Cheers, Don Cornicione

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:28 PM, Tweaked said:

Went to get some Happy Ice Cream scoops this weekend.  Anne Marler was helping out at the scoop cart so I asked her about Komi:

Happy doing Happy.  Done with fine dining.

Sadly, it appears the Komi days are indeed over...RIP Komi thread.    

This is a bummer, as someone who has been to every iteration of Komi since it took over the former "Vivo" space above Happy Cleaners, and who isn't interested in takeout.

That said, I'm thrilled that the Monis/ Marler team has found fulfillment, even if not in fine dining.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, DonRocks said:

Can you believe how *different* Komi was when it first opened, with Sebastian Zutant getting his start, and those beignets you'd dip in hot chocolate?

---

BTW, here are the original internet posts on Komi - this is when I was active on eGullet, but just before I agreed to become Forum Host (I resisted for as long as I could, but the third time he approached me, Steve Klc wouldn't take no for an answer - one thing's for sure: Steve Klc is the person who changed the course of my life).

For those who care, my very first eGullet post is here (I was a sarcastic little snot even then; this was less than one year after Karen died. My goodness, Isabella must hate my guts: my second post is here); all my stuff there can be found here (not in order; the oldest stuff is on page 31). That said, I got my start posting on one of those rec.dc.restaurants newsgroups on Usenet in the 1990s - ironically, a friend of mine wrote me then and said, "In all seriousness, have you ever thought about being a restaurant critic?" 

Totally different! The beignets were fantastic, and brunch was a big focus...

Is there any high-end place in the city that currently makes you feel like the expense was worth it? Of all the extravagant meals I've had in DC, Komi left me the most satisfied -- both in terms of the length of the meal and the amount of food offered. It's been 14 years, but I can't forget how the meal never seemed to end. After the series of small tasting courses, the pasta was served, which nearly put me over the top. Then they come out and say, "Here's your suckling pig..."

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Is there any high-end place in the city that currently makes you feel like the expense was worth it? Of all the extravagant meals I've had in DC, Komi left me the most satisfied -- both in terms of the length of the meal and the amount of food offered. It's been 14 years, but I can't forget how the meal never seemed to end. After the series of small tasting courses, the pasta was served, which nearly put me over the top. Then they come out and say, "Here's your suckling pig..."

Kinship, Metier, Marcels, Bresca, Fiola (original, NOT Mare)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Kinship, Metier, Marcels, Bresca, Fiola (original, NOT Mare)

Thanks! Of those, I've only done Metier. It had the advantage of a nice space that made you feel separated from the outside world. And the food was of comparable quality, but Komi provided way more over a greater period of time, and with more engagement with the servers. If I had the Komi experience in the Metier space, it would have been amazing.

18 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Thanks! Of those, I've only done Metier. It had the advantage of a nice space that made you feel separated from the outside world. And the food was of comparable quality, but Komi provided way more over a greater period of time, and with more engagement with the servers. If I had the Komi experience in the Metier space, it would have been amazing.

Another option is Jont, which I've only been to once, but has a longer tasting menu and engaging servers. Would also suggest minibar, but sounds like it won't meet the quantity requirement (and I have not been since pre-covid). If quantity of food and length of meal is the ultimate arbiter, maybe the Four Seasons is still doing their excellent Sunday brunch?

• Like 1

Per the email sent out today:

"The past few years have been a wild ride, and we’ve shape-shifted into a new identity. Are we a wine shop with a pizza problem? A pizza joint with an ice cream problem? We are all of those things (and more) so we’re embracing our split personality — with Happy Ice Cream right here under the same roof. 

When we launched Happy Gyro into the world back in 2019, it was an all-vegetarian gyro pop-up. These days, we’ve evolved into something else all together. We’re not vegetarian. We don’t even serve gyros. 

Now we’re your super casual, one-stop-shopping destination for natural wine bottles, pizza and ice cream — plus whatever else we feel like making on any given day. Right now, the dinner menu is all about Johnny’s naturally-leavened pizza — including *whole* Roman pies! — and cozy Greco-Roman soul food. (Brace yourselves: there will be whole 16” NY-style round pies here and there, too.)

During the day, the shop is open for bottles of wine and ice cream pints. After 5:30 PM, we do dinner, mostly for carry-out — but now we have a *tiny* standing area in the shop, and a slightly less tiny patio when the weather is nice. Nothing fancy or full-service. Paper plates and sexy stemware. (And we still scoop outside from the cart Tue-Fri evenings and all day Saturday.)

Come visit us at the shop Tue-Sat 12:30-8:30 PM. Walk-ins welcome for ice cream and wine. Ordering ahead for dinner is still the best move. Did we mention that our wine is always priced retail, whether you’re drinking here or taking home?! Best deal in the city, if you ask us."

• Like 1