Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

That is one of the things I like about the cooking at Komi, though. There isn't much gilding the lily going on. They take a few simple things and make them something more than the sum of their parts.

The ribs were what blew me away on that plate of pork - cooked to the point of falling off the bone, but still succulent.

I will say though that the polenta on the side was a bit of richness overkill, and I like polenta. I'd be interested in revisiting the dish with the replacement side of the panzanella - a little acidity and tartness to play against the unctuousness of the meat.

I'd be interested in revisiting the dish with the replacement side of the panzanella - a little acidity and tartness to play against the unctuousness of the meat.
someone please correct me if I am wrong but I recall having brussel sprouts that did this job quite well. As was mentioned earlier, the wine pairing is generous - and I have always relied upon [taken advantage of] the kindness of strangers [fantastic servers] so my memory may be [is] suspect.

:unsure: -->

QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Jun 21 2006, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

someone please correct me if I am wrong but I recall having brussel sprouts that did this job quite well. As was mentioned earlier, the wine pairing is generous - and I have always relied upon [taken advantage of] the kindness of strangers [fantastic servers] so my memory may be [is] suspect.

Yes, there were brussel sprouts that were roasted and served with potatoes IIRC.

Also I think that the pork and other mains being lighter in flavor is not a bad thing at that point in the meal. After all the excitment of the starters and pasta it is a calming experience for the tastebuds so that you can enjoy and rest up for the finale.

:unsure: --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Jun 21 2006, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Yes, there were brussel sprouts that were roasted and served with potatoes IIRC.

Also I think that the pork and other mains being lighter in flavor is not a bad thing at that point in the meal. After all the excitment of the starters and pasta it is a calming experience for the tastebuds so that you can enjoy and rest up for the finale.

Dude. So excited by the pasta that you need a calming influence as a main course? As my friends at Bonnaroo would say, you're peaking too soon.

The Greek pasta btw, was exceptional.

I'd be interested in revisiting the dish with the replacement side of the panzanella - a little acidity and tartness to play against the unctuousness of the meat.
The panzanella is a very good match to the pig.

Very good meal at Komi last evening. Notable starters included perfectly fried softshell crab, and perfectly fried cheese stuffed zucchini blossom. These were two of the best renditions I've encountered. Carpaccio with marinated celery and red grapes (great), ricotta with sardines, focaccia with taramasalata (which I thought could have been stronger with roe), and watermelon with sheeps milk cheese were all very good. Pastas included tagliatelle with sea urchin sauce (outstanding), squid-ink pappardelle with crab and chili (excellent), fettuccini with goat ragu, and a gnocchi with ???. Mains were a whole branzino baked in a salt crust. Cooked nicely moist, but under-flavored. Seemed to need some/more herbs in the cavity and perhaps a shot of olive oil at the end. And slow roasted pork shank (btw, I do not believe this shank came from a suckling pig as stated on the menu). It was good, but overly salty and one-dimensional. That was followed by one of the best cheese plates I've had in DC, and a few desserts that I did not taste. Finally, Komi serves a very good espresso. Wine pairings were frequent and ample, but sadly, not of great quality. The setting is stark, to say the least, considering the cost and the caliber of food coming out of the kitchen. It was also frightfully warm by the end of the evening. Curiously, it is a 3+ hour meal, so turning tables must be impossible, not the mention there were several empty tables on a Friday night. How long can a restaurant continue with those figures?

I'd like to see Chef Monies (?) in a setting more in keeping with his talent. I'd also like to see two levels of wine pairings, so that I have the choice of upgrading to perhaps fewer, but better wines (which I guess I could do ordering bottles, but that limits me to only two wines). And finally, I'd like to have the choice of cutting out the main dish, which not even a yeoman eater really needs (in fact, charge me the same and just leave it off). Service, while young and rather inexperienced, were eager, accomodating and very pleasant.

Thanks for the recent review because I'm heading to Komi tonight for a special birthday dinner (not mine). The pork shank, if offered, sounds really tempting. I tend to like saltier dishes so that wouldn't deter me.

But I'm curious about your comment about Chef Monis and the setting worthy of his talent. Is it the space you object to? The restaurant's size? Something else? I find the space spare, but elegantly so, and I like that dining at Komi is unstuffy through and through.

Not to pick a fight with Pappy, who is surely a fine gourmand with an exquisite palate, but the moment Chef Monis moves out of that space and starts getting all uppity with the wine pairings, the magic will end and commerce will begin.

I didn't find it "elegantly" sparse. I found it sparse, period. As in unfurnished and unfinished. But you are right that I am a stuffy person. Fun-stuffy, but stuffy none-the-less. I like stuffy places. I like good wine in stuffy places served by stuffy waiters to other stuffy people. I also like filthy, cheap, odor filled, ethnic joints, but that is a different subject.

Four dinners and four wine pairings were $480. I left a $100 tip. That's $580. No big deal, that's about the going rate for a good dinner. I just didn't feel the surroundings lived up to the food, and more completely, the food at that price point.

To each his own. At least you know better where I'm coming from.

Not to pick a fight with Pappy, who is surely a fine gourmand with an exquisite palate, but the moment Chef Monis moves out of that space and starts getting all uppity with the wine pairings, the magic will end and commerce will begin.

Mr. Waitman, I do not consider myself either "a fine gourmand" or as having "an exquisite palate." I am rather ambitious in my desire for fine food, and I do eat out, a lot. I am sure I share these same characteristics with you and most others on this board.

I do disagree with your implication that "magic" and "commerce" are mutually exclusive. In fact, I would be willing to say that it is every restaurant owner's dream to acheive both, and that many do. Do you not think many do? Should we ask Tom Keller? Mario Butali? Ducasse (sp)? Boulad (sp)? I'm not suggesting Mr. Monis is any of those. But I am suggesting that he can grow to do both. I think locally we could name quite a few as well. Kinkead? Peter Pastin (sp)? The young man at 2941 whos name escapes me? And I'm sure there are dozens other that are not coming to mind.

Pappy,

Would you name a restuarant that satisfies your stuffi-ness quotient? I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the room at Viridian (if you have been). What are your thoughts on Citronelle, Inn at Little Washington or the Tabard Inn. Were you around back in the day of 21 Federal or Le Pavillion? if so any thoughts on those spaces? And last but not least 1789? I think that gets up there with stuffy.

:unsure: I ask these questions in the interest of getting a sense of where you are comming from before I set down my thoughts on Monis' space a Komi.

Stephanie

Pappy,

Would you name a restuarant that satisfies your stuffi-ness quotient? I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the room at Viridian (if you have been). What are your thoughts on Citronelle, Inn at Little Washington or the Tabard Inn. Were you around back in the day of 21 Federal or Le Pavillion? if so any thoughts on those spaces? And last but not least 1789? I think that gets up there with stuffy.

:unsure: I ask these questions in the interest of getting a sense of where you are comming from before I set down my thoughts on Monis' space a Komi.

Stephanie

I have been to all of those (save Veridian), most on many occassions. In order of stuffiness, I would rank them Le Pavillion, Citronelle, Inn, 21 Fed, 1789, Tabard. Le Lion d'Or was Washington's height, I believe, of stuffiness. And I miss it frequently. The Willard Room in the Willard hotel does and excellent job of stuffiness, unfortunately the food stinks.

But you are missing my point. I in no way suggested that I want Komi to compete for a stuffiness award. I in no way want Komi to be stuffy AT ALL! I just suggested there MIGHT be room for improvement on the "elegantly sparse" theme by hanging a piece of art on the bare wall and perhaps laying a rug on the bare floor! No place is perfect, and I, personally, found this to be a flaw.

Sidestepping this whole rigamarole and focusing on food, +1 and I had another fantastic meal at Komi last night. The burrata has been updated with a delicious garnish of chopped cucumber and asparagus. The watermelon with feta was as delightful as described (and watermelon is not something I'd ever seek out so that's high praise coming from me). I continue to marvel at the delicious stuffed dates. If Komi had a bar, that would be what I'd hope for as a bar snack, for sure.

But in addition to all of that wonderful stuff (and fried soft shells) we were treated to a pork belly on pita mini-sandwich with tzatziki. Rich, creamy, salty and just utterly wonderful. When Chef Monis stopped by at the end of the night (we were one of the last two parties in the house which gave us lots of time to chat with the always-great staff), that was the dish that we spoke about particularly fondly.

My boyfriend chose the pappardelle with goat ragu again as his macaronia course, and I don't blame him. That's a hit. I was tempted by a duck egg raviolo with parmesan broth as well as spaghetti with guanciale, but my eventual choice was the boulettas, a very light gnocchi served with sweet corn, toasted almonds and a delicious butter based sauces. The crunch of the almonds kept the light, summery dish interesting. It was a great pick.

Around this time, I commented that the portion sizes were smaller, making the tasting menu much more manageable (at least for me). +1 didn't think they were noticeably smaller so hopefully diners with heartier appetites won't be let down. I imagine that offering just the tasting menu on weekends has simplified things for the kitchen greatly.

Mains offered last night included the speck-wrapped tuna, branzino for two, suckling pig for two, guinea hen and the dish we both chose (how boring!) lamb with lentils. It's a slightly different prep now - three chops instead of the loin - and no rutabega, just those fantastic lentils with sweet peas. Perfection.

Our cheese course included three relatively assertive flavors. My favorite was a pungent, oozy Portuguese cheese (I plan to call Anna to find out its name and buy some pronto), but the others (La Tur, and a hard, salty cheese from Great Britain) were also great.

We ordered doughnuts and the interpretation of baklava, and because it was a birthday dinner, were also treated to a third dessert, server Carolyn's favorite crepe filled with lemon verbena gelato and garnished with blueberries. All wonderful. And I was very happy to be able to enjoy them. I had been two full the last two visits for much cheese or dessert. Salted lemon followed.

With one beer, one glass of wine and a bigger-than-we'd normally-leave tip to say "thank you, really" (and also complimentary sparkling wine to start - a wonderful touch), this lovely meal cost us $220. Can't wait to return!

"Rigamarole," eh? ;)

I like rock and roll. (Not like Heather, who luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvs the stuff, but well enough). And I've had the good fortune to see a few shows that will stay with me forever: the first Stones tour in two decades where Keith wasn't too junked up to play; U2's Zoo TV tour; The "seven songs before drums" Dead show where they broke out "New Speedway Boogie." Great, wonderful shows by brilliant musicians at the top of their games, with a gazillion dollars worth of sound equipment to make sure you heared every single note, even in the cheap seats, and decades worth of great music to draw from.

Would I have traded two tickets to any of those shows and my left nut to hear any of those bands is a smoky, shitty little club with a jerry-rigged sounds system and the ever-present risk that some drunk will punch you out because you looked at him funny?

In a New York fucking minute.

Monis, whom I can't help but think is not hanging on our every word, surely has the talent and likely has the backing to decree creation of a stately pleasure-dome -- upgrading Komi or moving to a different space with Riedel Crystal windows overlooking Rock Creek and hand-buffed extra virgin wool tableclothes and maybe even a wine list that would cause Slater to suck in his breath and mutter "maybe I better call Michel and get some more Burgundies in."

And we'd have one more great restaurant. But we wouldn't have any more Komis.

Years ago Mrs. B and I moved into a basement apartment on 21st Street near Dupont Circle and decided to celebrate by treating ourselves to a new, well-reviewed restaurant around the corner: Galileo. Low ceilings, odd space, but reasonable prices and a talented young chef behind the line who was clearly having a good time cooking my dinner.

Just like Komi today.

(blame the f-bomb on Joel A) :unsure:

"Rigamarole," eh? ;)

I like rock and roll. (Not like Heather, who luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvs the stuff, but well enough). And I've had the good fortune to see a few shows that will stay with me forever: the first Stones tour in two decades where Keith wasn't too junked up to play; U2's Zoo TV tour; The "seven songs before drums" Dead show where they broke out "New Speedway Boogie." Great, wonderful shows by brilliant musicians at the top of their games, with a gazillion dollars worth of sound equipment to make sure you heared every single note, even in the cheap seats, and decades worth of great music to draw from.

Would I have traded two tickets to any of those shows and my left nut to hear any of those bands is a smoky, shitty little club with a jerry-rigged sounds system and the ever-present risk that some drunk will punch you out because you looked at him funny?

In a New York fucking minute.

Monis, whom I can't help but think is not hanging on our every word, surely has the talent and likely has the backing to decree creation of a stately pleasure-dome -- upgrading Komi or moving to a different space with Riedel Crystal windows overlooking Rock Creek and hand-buffed extra virgin wool tableclothes and maybe even a wine list that would cause Slater to suck in his breath and mutter "maybe I better call Michel and get some more Burgundies in."

And we'd have one more great restaurant. But we wouldn't have any more Komis.

Years ago Mrs. B and I moved into a basement apartment on 21st Street near Dupont Circle and decided to celebrate by treating ourselves to a new, well-reviewed restaurant around the corner: Galileo. Low ceilings, odd space, but reasonable prices and a talented young chef behind the line who was clearly having a good time cooking my dinner.

Just like Komi today.

(blame the f-bomb on Joel A) :unsure:

Drop it. It just isn't worth it.

It's an opinion, okay? Not every restaurant that you know the owner of is sacrosanct. Not Palena, not RTS, not Firefly, not Cordoroy, and not Komi. Things don't stand still. Ever. And if they do, the world passes them by. There is always room for improvement. My god...you'd have thought I claimed he served dog food.

And people on the DR.com thread wonder why sometimes people withhold their criticism. Here is a perfect example.

And people on the DR.com thread wonder why sometimes people withhold their criticism. Here is a perfect example.

What on earth is the problem? You expressed an opinion. Others expressed theirs. There is some disagreement. I've been trying to decide where to go for my birthday dinner, and ya know, this conversation has convinced me that Komi my kind of place. Others will read the conversation and decide it isn't for them. What is wrong with that?

Now, can anyone tell me how soon I need to call for a Friday reservation?

Actually, I wouldn't recognize Monis if I passed him on the street, though my wife apparently would. Something of a hottie, he is, I hear.

And I'm sorry you took my little ramble so personally -- it was about Komi, not really about anyone in particuyalr, and about waiting for my coffee to kick in, and about having a little fun figuring our why I like Komi so well as it is now.

And, though nobody on earth is bored enough to do this, I think that if you were to look at my back posts you'd hardly find that I'm a cheeleader type (look at the Colorado Kitchen thread and, now that you mention it, the Palena thread).

In fact, it pained me to write something nice about Komi, and I was only able to do so because I had called the suckling pig "austere" in a previous post.

Cheers.

What on earth is the problem? You expressed an opinion. Others expressed theirs. There is some disagreement. I've been trying to decide where to go for my birthday dinner, and ya know, this conversation has made we want to try Komi. Others will read the conversation and decide it isn't their kind of place. What is wrong with that?

Now, can anyone tell me how soon I need to call for a Friday reservation?

We called two weeks ahead and got in on a Saturday, but we were flexible about the time.

(Is this data or chatting?)

We called two weeks ahead and got in on a Saturday, but we were flexible about the time.

(Is this data or chatting?)

Unclear, although you quoted me before my edit so I think it qualifies as chatting.

Thanks for info. Now I decide whether to do the tasting menu or not.

I had mixed feelings about Komi after my first visit, however I now support the place after visiting several times. There is not a better value in DC! I do not think Komi is trying to be anything other than what it is. I hope is stays that way.I am not a fan of stuffy, and most of the good restaurants in DC and for the matter nationwide, we are seeing less formal environments that are more welcoming. I think it would be bad for business if any restaurant went too formal, that is not the type of atmosphere people are looking for....a least not the under 40 DINKS with disposal income.

Congratulations, Johnny!!!!! Cannot think of a more deserving candidate.

Also cannot think of anyone who would care less about awards.

Over the last two years it's been fascinating and lovely to watch the restaurant take the direction and vision that the chef so very clearly has in mind. It's also been easy to forgive the harder and harder game at getting a reservation. I would suggest that we all need to be grateful to our good fortunes for having a restaurant like Komi exist and survive in Washington. I can only admire Johnny's singular dedication to the vision that is fully his own, and be happy that it is apparently - as showcased by their full book - finding a following deserving of its brilliance.

Drop it. It just isn't worth it.

It's an opinion, okay? Not every restaurant that you know the owner of is sacrosanct. Not Palena, not RTS, not Firefly, not Cordoroy, and not Komi. Things don't stand still. Ever. And if they do, the world passes them by. There is always room for improvement. My god...you'd have thought I claimed he served dog food.

The important thing to remember when criticizing a "DR.com darling" is to be prepared for the multitude of views that will likely be expressed counter to yours.

A "DR.com darling", if there is such a thing, is only such because a number of the people on the board do indeed like the place. If you stood up after a movie that most of the people in the theator loved and said to them "This movie sucked" you'd probably get a number of peope that disagree with you. Frankly I think the level of conversation was very cordial and appropriate. Both sides were treated with nothing but respect. Pappy stated some things he didn't like about the place (thank you btw, it's always good to hear these viewpoints, especially for those of us that haven't been to the place in question) and others stated why they liked the things that Pappy disliked. Just because someone disagrees with your statements doesn't mean you're wrong, just that the two of you have different tastes. That's fine and I don't think anyone would fault you for that.

Now if you had said that the steaks at RTS were awful, or the roast chicken at Palena were bland and dry, or something else along those lines then people would probably have disagreed much more vigorously as it's difficult to back up opinions such as those. But I think you'll everyone here stipulated the facts that Pappy stated (that the space is a bit empty). Pappy thinks the space could use some sprucing up, others think it's fine the way it is. Just an opinion, everyone's got them... I don't see any reason from this exchange why anyone would hesitate to say something bad about a "DR.com darling". Though of course, anytime you say something, particularly if it runs counter to the publicly perceived concensus, you should be willing to back up what you're saying so other people can try and see where you're coming from, which I think Pappy did quite well.

I agree with everything you said but you left out one key point: Pappy appeared frustrated at the outcome of the conversation even though it was conducted fairly well on both sides. It appears to me that he felt "ganged up" upon and/or his concern was blown out of proportion. If it was such a good exchange, no one on either side should have felt negativity.

Congratulations, Johnny!!!!! Cannot think of a more deserving candidate.

Did you mean this, from the Kliman chog?

"Best Gelled Hair

Winner for Rising Culinary Star, Johnny Monis of Komi. His hair, pushed back and perfectly in place, epitomized that suave, Just-Left-The-Kitchen Look. Fashionably late, he raced up the escalator just as the triangle-chiming crew said it was show time. And no, his hair did not budge an inch."

Did you mean this, from the Kliman chog?

"Best Gelled Hair

Winner for Rising Culinary Star, Johnny Monis of Komi. His hair, pushed back and perfectly in place, epitomized that suave, Just-Left-The-Kitchen Look. Fashionably late, he raced up the escalator just as the triangle-chiming crew said it was show time. And no, his hair did not budge an inch."

No. There's nothing suave in the Just-Left-The-Kitchen Look, unless you're talking to a starry-eyed 20-something chef groupie who just committed the entire volume of Kitchen Confidential to memory. Just Left the Kitchen has easily identifiable (by color and smell) stains all over his clothes. Just Left the Kitchen reeks like a 'ho after payday. Also, Just Left the Kitchen doesn't own any decent street clothes so his taste and fit suck.

Johnny, on the other hand, is a very rare breed who is a brilliant cook and very cool person without trying too hard (like building a superhip website. Or getting highlights. ) So, I just don't buy that he would pick a look that's contrived in any way.

fit suck

Unintentional Spoonerism, Nadya?

Johnny, on the other hand, is a very rare breed who is a brilliant cook and very cool person without trying too hard (like building a superhip website. Or getting highlights. ) So, I just don't buy that he would pick a look that's contrived in any way.

Why is it that so many others are so posh and so lost? (An inter-lingual rose of a pun, for you only, Nadya). As opposed to Mr. Monis, who is the real deal. Congratulations, Johnny!

Greenly, with envy,

Michael

Lovely article about Johnny Monis in today's WaPo food section. My favorite quote:

This reaffirmation of Mediterranean roots is a frank denial of trendy techniques such as sous vide, boil-in-the-bag cookery; Monis prefers to use wood for grilling lamb and roasting suckling pigs.

"I'll take fire over plastic any day of the week," he states flatly

I like his way of thinking.

Well, I like his way of cooking. :unsure:
We have reservations next Wednesday, so we'll find out if we do too. Another good quote:
Monis has no illusions about what he does. "Food isn't about art; it's about taking care of people," he says

I use to live in northern Virginia and after postponing visiting the area for the last few years I am planning a return vacation within the next month.

I had my heart set on finally dining at Maestro and also considered Citronelle but after reading this thread I am caught in a dilemma on which to choose.

Would Komi be considered a destination restaurant?

yes. It's lower-key than the others, and the decor is simple, but the food is worth spending the evening.

FWIW, although others seem to dislike the interior, I think it's absolutely gorgeous in its simplicity of design. But then, I disliked the fussiness of Maestro's interior. I guess my point is, if setting is as important to your overall experience as the food is, and if your taste runs to the opulent when spending hundreds of bucks for a single meal, you could well be disappointed in that aspect of Komi. But if you're in the less-is-more camp, you'll love it. :unsure: Hope that's helpful.

I use to live in northern Virginia and after postponing visiting the area for the last few years I am planning a return vacation within the next month.

I had my heart set on finally dining at Maestro and also considered Citronelle but after reading this thread I am caught in a dilemma on which to choose.

Yes! make a reservation ASAP! Masestro is also very good, but with Komi you will leave with an extra $200 in your pocket:). I think of Maestro as a special event type of place, we are going for our anniversary next week 4 stars all the way. Komi on the other hand, is a relaxing three hour, 6 course meal with the neighbors. A different kind of 4 star meal, without the 4 star price tag.

As much as I like Komi, Citronelle is in a different league (haven't been to Maestro).

That being said, the feel of the two places is so different, it's almost an apples and oranges thing.

You wanna dress to the nines, have 100 Burgundies to choose from and eat at one of the best restaurants in America, go to Citronelle (or Maestro).

You wanna play it a little more low key, feel like you've discovered something that will be on the cover of Food and Wine soon enough, and eat at one of the best restarants in the region, hit Komi.

Opulence and grandeur are nice but I tend to focus and enjoy what is on the plate more then anything else.

Plus I love the idea of small chef driven restaurant's that express the passion the chef is putting into his/her work. Sounds like I may give Komi a try and will be sure to report.

On a side note thank you all for the feed back. I have always been impressed by how friendly this site is and how people are willing to offer a helping hand to those seeking information. No doubt a role model that many should follow.

Thanks again.

I'm with Waitman on this one. My two favorite restaurants in town are Komi and Maestro.

There - As much as I love the rest of you, I said it out loud.

It all depends on what you're looking for. Robert40, from what I've gathered about your posts elsewhere you're from New York, right? If you're looking for a proper New York Times 4 star place go for Maestro (or Citronelle for that matter).

If you're more in the mood for that special three star place that might have food as good or better than the four star, but because of the more laid-back style of the space and service and cooking won't ever get the fourth, then Komi is your place.

I'm with Waitman on this one. My two favorite restaurants in town are Komi and Maestro.

There - As much as I love the rest of you, I said it out loud.

It all depends on what you're looking for. Robert40, from what I've gathered about your posts elsewhere you're from New York, right? If you're looking for a proper New York Times 4 star place go for Maestro (or Citronelle for that matter).

If you're more in the mood for that special three star place that might have food as good or better than the four star, but because of the more laid-back style of the space and service and cooking won't ever get the fourth, then Komi is your place.

Yes Bill, upstate NY. Kind of think Komi is the best bet being it's a vacation and a relaxed atmosphere may be a better option. Plus maybe I can even leave my tie home. :unsure:

I'm going to Komi for the first time tomorrow night and I'm wondering how to maximize the experience. Is the tasting menu available on weeknights? (I've heard conflicting reports) And I've seen the escolar, suckling pig, and the tagliatelle with goat ragu zelously recommended here; any other suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!

The tasting menu is available every night; it's the a la carte menu that goes away on weekends. Tasting menu is the way to go always.

The lamb is always good. Plus when I called to make a reservation yesterday, Chef Monis answered and noted that he has updated the menu again and there's a new lamb preparation. Can't wait to check it out.

I'm going to Komi for the first time tomorrow night and I'm wondering how to maximize the experience. ... And I've seen the escolar, suckling pig, and the tagliatelle with goat ragu zelously recommended here; any other suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!
The firm, perfectly-prepared escolar wrapped in smoky Speck is my newest addiction. That, plus the doughnuts, served warm, light and fluffy, with a sprinkling of powdered sugar along side a dish of creamy chocolate mousse were amazing and the perfect ending to an excellent meal last Friday night. Beau had the duck ravioli on a bed of braised tripe in a spicy tomato sauce which was delicious - fresh, tangy, spicy, meaty. All of the flavors were clean and clearly present, despite so many different flavors within the one dish. Speaking of spicy, the black 'macaronia' (linguini) with chunks of fresh, briny lump crab and hot peppers was, as promised, HOT. Loved the fire from the peppers that lingered until the arrival of the doughnuts as mentioned above. This place is a true gem and we'll definitely be back!

-Camille

The firm, perfectly-prepared escolar wrapped in smoky Speck is my newest addiction. That, plus the doughnuts, served warm, light and fluffy, with a sprinkling of powdered sugar along side a dish of creamy chocolate mousse were amazing and the perfect ending to an excellent meal last Friday night. Beau had the duck ravioli on a bed of braised tripe in a spicy tomato sauce which was delicious - fresh, tangy, spicy, meaty. All of the flavors were clean and clearly present, despite so many different flavors within the one dish. Speaking of spicy, the black 'macaronia' (linguini) with chunks of fresh, briny lump crab and hot peppers was, as promised, HOT. Loved the fire from the peppers that lingered until the arrival of the doughnuts as mentioned above. This place is a true gem and we'll definitely be back!

-Camille

Thanks for the recommendations; I'm eagerly awaiting the meal. I'll report back.

Ryan

Speaking of spicy, the black 'macaronia' (linguini) with chunks of fresh, briny lump crab and hot peppers was, as promised, HOT.

Indeed. This is a great dish for sticky summer weather. It's fresh, light and it has a serious kick - which I personally love. The watermelon, feta and arugula first course is also tippytopnotch if you're looking for something that won't weigh you down (aka leave room for dessert - or cheese, if you "swing" my way).

I thought that the goat ragu was alright, but a little too rich for my tastes. It's definitely not something that I could eat a whole plate of.

Much has been written about this place but for now I can't think of a better comment than the one my husband made after our dinner tonight: "This is the kind of restaurant that makes the world a better place." Most of what we ate has been described better by others but I wanted to mention the soft shell with chick peas and cuttlefish, and the macaronia with crab and hot peppers as the standouts. Oh and the tiny roast pork on pita with cucumber and tzatziki was the most elegant souvlaki ever. :unsure:

Spare dining room? Non issue. Noise level? We could have a conversation without effort. The service was great - how do they manage to be both friendly and unobtrusive? The tasting menu was a wild ride but just too much - next time I may try ordering a la carte. This is the most exciting, imaginative, personal food I've had in the past 3-4 years.

Much has been written about this place but for now I can't think of a better comment than the one my husband made after our dinner tonight: "This is the kind of restaurant that makes the world a better place." Most of what we ate has been described better by others but I wanted to mention the soft shell with chick peas and cuttlefish, and the macaronia with crab and hot peppers as the standouts. Oh and the tiny roast pork on pita with cucumber and tzatziki was the most elegant souvlaki ever. :unsure:

Spare dining room? Non issue. Noise level? We could have a conversation without effort. The service was great - how do they manage to be both friendly and unobtrusive? The tasting menu was a wild ride but just too much - next time I may try ordering a la carte. This is the most exciting, imaginative, personal food I've had in the past 3-4 years.

Glad you enjoyed your birthday dinner, Heather!

First time at Komi last night, and I usually try to reserve judgment on places until I've been a few times, but this was just extraordinary. Very low lighting, and I liked the sparse room. Very easy to talk, but not deafeningly quiet. I also liked that they, without asking, let us try wines by the glass and bottle before ordering them. I will be back soon, but here are my recollections, without taking notes or pictures. The crackers were great, but they came at a point when we could barely eat anymore.

My gf and I went for the tasting menu, which had the following courses. Some descriptions may be off; there was a lot of wine and more food. I know people have described all these before, but hell, it was so good I want to relive it:

1. House cured olives: Good way to start the meal, and top-notch olives, even though I'm not a huge olive fan.

2. Roasted dates stuffed with Marscapone: Just extraordinary. Very simple, but possibly the best two bites of the meal. Very much a highlight.

3. Fresh mozzarella with white anchove, asparagus, etc: Also great; maybe the freshest cheese ever, and the anchove added a perfect taste of the sea.

4. Fried soft shell crabs with chick peas and cuttlefish: Possibly the most crab meat I've ever found in soft-shell crabs, and perfectly fried. The portion was HUGE for a tasting menu appetizer. My girlfriend doesn't like fried food and liked these. Given the later meals, maybe a little rich at this point at the meal, but it was a highlight as well.

5. Gyros, Pita stuffed with pork and tsadziki: Perfect execution of this dish, but we were already starting to get a little stuffed and we hadn't even hit the main courses. Very tasty, but probably the plainest and least impressive course so far.

6. Brioche with whipped salmon roe: Very good and small and suprisingly light.

7. Watermelon salad with feta and arrugula: So good that I could have used more (maybe instead of the Gyro), and I don't know why more restaurants don't do this.

8. Pasta Course: Me: Pappardelle with goat ragu; GF: Black macaronia with crab and hot peppers. We basically split these and both were great, but I don't know which one was better. I think I liked the pappardelle better objectively, but at this point in the meal I probablye prefered her macaronia, which was lighter and more refreshing.

9. Mains: Me: Roasted (or grilled?) lamb with eggplant napoleon (my description is off, as the wine was beginning to set in); GF: White tuna wrapped in speck. Both were great, but the white tuna was the clear winner. While the lamb was perfectly cooked, and a great cut, it was maybe a little boring compared to the perfectly cooked escolar and its accompaniments. I think the escolar was probably the highlight of the meal.

10. Three cheeses: no idea what they were, too full to think at this point

11. Desert: Three sorbets, including vanilla yogurt, rhubarb, and peach belini; we both thought the Rhubarb was the winner. Also a crespelle with lemon sorbet in the middle, which was great, but at this point we were more excited about the sorbets.

12. House-made lemon and salt lollipops.

I hope that Gyro and the watermelon salad are there on Saturday. We have a late reservation so I am going to fast all day. This will be our 3rd time at Komi, and I can't wait to have them roll me out of there around midnight stuffed to the core :unsure: