Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

I am informed by several that Komi takes parties of no more than four, although I think I'll call and ask anyway. As to dropping people off and then cruising for street parking: You could cruise a LONG time in that neighborhood. I can easily imagine with cruising and then walking from a probably not-very-nearby spot, parking could take a half hour.
Usually we're going somewhere on the west side of the side of the circle, where parking seems to me to be worse, and I don't think it's ever taken half an hour. My lucky husband is the one who parks and walks, but I don't think it's ever taken that long near Dupont to park and walk back.

It's a few sublevels in the postmodern office building on the south side of the street. They've got signs out at night.
Ah, of course. I haven't kept track of the neighborhood much since moving out of it at the beginning of 1993, but now that you mention it I have noticed that building being there and having parking. I can't remember what was there before. A parking lot maybe?

It's a few sublevels in the postmodern office building on the south side of the street. They've got signs out at night.
This parking garage does indeed exist, but it closes "early" I don't remember exactly (midnight maybe?), but too early for me to park there and still retrieve my car after a 9:30pm Komi reservation.

Based on previous dinners at Komi I already knew this recognition by Food and Wine was well-deserved. Last night I brought my parents there for their first Komi experience for my mom's birthday- needless to say they love Komi now too. We weren't even halfway through the mezzethakia when they started talking about which of their friends they want to bring there!

I learned from my last dinner at Komi that while I love the wine pairings, all that food and all that wine are a bit more than I can handle :blink: but my dad is not a lightweight like me so he was lucky enough to enjoy Derek's stellar wine service. Yes, ladies he is as knowledgable as he is dreamy. Highlights among the mezzethakia included their foie gras preparation, which had an unexpected hint of sweetness that really made it unique and the charred octopus salad with avocado and a quail egg, featuring some of the most tender octopus I've ever tasted. Scallop ravioli and macaronia with sea urchin were both amazingly flavorful. For people used to eating uni at the sushi bar, go to Komi for a completely different take on uni. My parents shared the bronzini which had just the right amount of olive oil and sea salt. I had the squab which also included a greek version of boudin noir- sorry can't remember the greek name. The squab's skin was nice and crisp but the meat still perfectly done.

After we finished desert they brought out a flourless chocolate cake with olive oil gelato on a plate that said happy birthday. My mom was so surprised! Thanks to everyone at Komi for making the birthday girl feel special. We'll be back soon!

If I had not read all the justifiable praise on this thread I doubt I would have ever tried Komi. And for that I wish to thank you all! This was one of the finest meals I ever had. I could not be more sincere in saying this experience was comparable to those at the French Laundry, Per Se, Manresa, etc etc and maybe even exceeded them.

More to come after I recover from the drive.

I never will be able to do this meal justice in a report because #1 the wine took its toll on me over the course of the evening. And #2 I made the poor judgement of not writing anything down.

My wife and I decided that if we were going to drive 500 miles to experience Komi, the best bet was to leave the menu in the chef's hands. So we went on to order the degustazione menu. Altogether this meal was around 22-23 courses that took over 4 hours, and needless to say I lost count on how many glasses of wine we had.

Derek's enthusiasm and passion for wine was truly inspiring. I honestly believe this was one of the best and well thought out wine pairings we ever experienced. There was a sherry pairing with the octopus salad course that stopped all conversations and another excellent one with the foie gras course. Huge mistake in not writing the wines down. I apologize.

There was not even one course that disappointed; for that matter there wasn't even one that we considered just average. From the tiny baby radishes carefully topped with butter and salmon row to the squab with morcilla was excellent. The pastas made Babbo look like Chef Boyardee.

A few thoughts about the service and food. In my opinion with such a small kitchen staff it will be very easy for Johnny to take the easy route. By that I mean keep things simple. By grilling a piece of fish with some morels and fiddle head ferns and drizzling it with some flavored oil.

All in all, most people would be satisfied and the restaurant would still be a success. But it's the extra steps that Johnny takes that sets him apart from most chefs. Curing his own meats, the labor intensive pasta, and the small side items like the mousakka with the venison. These things take time and it's a amazing accomplishment for someone with such a small kitchen and staff. Thomas Keller once said anyone can saute a chicken breast but that don't make them a chef. That analogy is a prime example of what I mean. Chef Monis is a true chef's chef who takes no short cuts.

Our server Bill took those small extra steps that makes the evening special and which one would expect to find at a Danny Meyer restaurant. Example: My wife was taking pictures of the courses (no flash) when the battery died. I could see she was disappointed so I asked if I could take a minute to run to the CVS next door. Before I knew it Bill had the batteries on the table. The sign of a excellent server is how one reacts to a curve ball or a break in the routine. That is what sets apart good service from extraordinary service.

I can't wait to return. Maybe I should just move back to northern Virginia. :blink:

Can you post your pictures? This is truly my favorite restaurant in DC, although I have never been impressed with the wines. I am glad they now have someone in place to take care of the wine program. Komi should have four stars, no doubt! I am certain that it is much better and more creative than Cityzen.

Can you post your pictures? This is truly my favorite restaurant in DC, although I have never been impressed with the wines. I am glad they now have someone in place to take care of the wine program. Komi should have four stars, no doubt! I am certain that it is much better and more creative than Cityzen.

I would be glad too. I tried to upload them today but seemed to misplaced my USB cord. Likely my teenage son is the culprit. :blink: The low lighting took it's toll on the quality though.

I believe in the eyes of some critic's the understated room and more casual service may cause hesitation in giving four stars. But yet then Vetri and Django in Philly got four stars from the local paper. Guess you can not predict anything.

This I will say.. Many restaurants with four star goals and ambitions and with big time investors lack the 'soul' that Komi has. And that soul will always be four stars in my book.

I went to Komi tonight for the first time, and I am speechless. I will post more tomorrow (when I am solidly sober) about the food and Derek's amazing wine pairings, but I will tell you that my very picky friend said of the chef, "This guy isn't practicing, is he?" No, he isn't. Not even a little bit.

Simply incredible. Went last night and had the Degustazione after briefly toying with the idea of ordering actual dishes, but then realizing it was only a few more bucks over the 5-course + wine pairing. Very similar menu to the one posted on that blog, but I'll re-iterate because it was glorious, and these things bear repeating.

• house-cured olives, dusted with fleur de sel - simple, but the texture was great and the salt was nice because the olives themselves were mild
  • local radish with butter and salmon roe - an excellent little two-bite taste. sliver of radish, with a layer of butter and then roe. great mix of flavor, radish v roe, with butter in between
  • wine: champagne rose - tart, fruity. don't remember the brand
  • slivers of amberjack with chives, olive oil, and meyer lemon juice - this pairing of the rose was perfect, the salty oiliness of the fish vs the acidity of the wine
  • dates stuffed with marscapone and greek yogurt, with olive oil and fleur de sel - as previously noted: incredible. waiter said that these are roasted at high heat for 2-3 minutes. will be trying these at home.
  • muscat grape gazpacho with brioche breadcrumbs, thyme? - one of the standout dishes of the night. the gazpacho would have been perfect by itself, but the whole package was transcendant
  • sunchoke pana cotta wrapping a quail's egg yolk, topped with caviar. on the side, some peppers that were maybe Pimientos de Padron - the server said that one in ten of the peppers was spicy, while the rest are mild and sweet? the sunchoke part was amazing, the blend of flavors with the yolk and caviar. i think i got the one in ten peppers, and they had a bit of heat.
  • wine: txomin was the producer, from basque. no idea what bottle or year
  • grilled baby octopus, shaved avocado, quail egg, over a bed of pig knuckles and lentils - just incredible. the avocado/egg/pig combination was luscious, and the octopus was perfectly cooked, tender and flavorful, crispy on the outside.
  • whipped cod roe fritter, on saffron aioli - awesome. the roe contrasted nicely with the aioli
  • pickled sardines, salad of carrots, capers, currants, golden raisins, pine nuts
  • wine: martinenga nebbiolo '05
  • a single bite of celeriac puree, sea urchin, sweetbreads on a spoon - stole the show. the texture was perfect. the flavors were complex, and blended well. another one i'm going to try to duplicate at home, if maybe on a larger scale.
  • oxtail mini-gyro, beet tzatziki, pomegranite glaze - the pita was delicious, and the pomegranite really brought the whole thing together
  • wine: donhoff riesling '05
  • fois gras baklava, hazelnuts, arugula, phyllo crackers - a small round of fois. delicious, especially with the nuts and arugula
  • wine: single-vinyard sherry (hazelnuts!)
  • wine: greek, 3 varietals, vio... (no idea)
  • pappardelle w/milk-roasted baby goat ragu - the ragu was rich and creamy and the pasta was excellent
  • koumbya stuffed with fois gras, with a smoky brodo (broth) - delicious broth, little nuggets of fois goodness
  • wine: conte rioja
  • wine: st. joseph syrah?
  • grilled venison, venison mousakka - awesome, but at this point my taste buds started losing descriptors.
  • squab, morcilla, fried pig trotters, pickled date - the morcilla was great, and the squab was crispy and delicious.
  • wine: olivares dulce monastrell '03
  • cheese: rumano ("not to be confused with romano," says our server), a 6-yr old gouda: peppery, buttery finish, but dry, almost chalky texture. intense flavor, delicious.
  • cheese: a soft white cheese from goat, sheep, and cow's milks
  • cheese: a blue cheese. no idea, but it was very good, sharp, similar to humboldt fog?
  • the cheeses came with very thin toast and a fig spread
  • wine: elio perrone bigaro - this was the only pairing that I wasn't crazy about...it was pretty sweet, and at this point of the meal I was starting to get over-sweet-ened. Still, good, but if I had to nitpick, this would be the place.
  • blood-orange "creamsicle" - granita with a dollop of cream (yogurt?) on top. the creamsicle, elevated.
  • flourless chocolate cake with olive oil ice cream
  • panna cotta on chocolate shavings, rhubarb (candied?), an ice cream on the side?
  • peach-saffron lollipop with the check

It was the finest and best meal I have had in my life. Although I haven't been to some of the other "best restaurants in DC", the bar has been set high. They will have to work very hard to even approach how incredible this meal was. Derek's pairings were fantastic (the sherry and riesling in particular), the service was without fault, and I really need to stop raving about this or I'm going to go book myself another table before I have the money to do so.

So...I don't really like the acoustics here. Then again, this is the ONLY thing that I don't like about this place!

I went to Komi once before, a few years ago when it first opened, and I am happy to say that it is only better now than it was back then. And, to be honest, how often can we say that about a restaurant!? How many restaurants get worse as time goes on? I mean, it is considered a miracle if the place remains steady over the years, but to actually get better, that rarely happens and it couldn't happen to a nicer place.

The service was impeccable. We had a server for our food and the sommelier for our wine, but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in that restaurant stopped by our table at some point during the night.

The environment is just great. Small, not flashy, surrounded by a bunch of other people who care about food. Now, if they could only do something about those acoustics.

The food was simply incredible. We had a lot of what ferment everything stated above, with some minor differences...

House-cured olives dusted with fleur de sel

Local radish with butter and salmon roe

Slivers of amberjack with chives, olive oil and meyer lemon juice

Dates stuffed with marscapone and greek yogurt, with olive oil and fleur de sel

English pea and mint pana cotta topped with caviar and pimientos de padron

Grilled baby octopus, shaved avocado and quail egg over a bed of pig knuckles and lentils

Oxtail mini-gyro with golden beet tzatziki and pomegranate glaze

Fois gras baklava with hazelnuts, arugula and phyllo crackers

Pappardelle with milk-roasted baby goat ragu

Tagliatelle with lamb tounge and fava beans

Charcoal grilled venison with venison mousakka

Roasted squab with blood sausage, fried pig trotters and pickled date

Parsnip cake with cream cheese gelato

Greek doughnuts with chocolate mascarpone mousse

Now, I loved all of it and I am just nitpicking about things, but if I had to nitpick, I would say that the radish dish was just average, the pana cotta was too minty, the baklava fell short of wildly high expectations and the doughnuts were a bit heavy. Other than that, which may seem like a lot but really wasn't, the meal was perfect. Props goes to the mini gyro, the tagliatelle, the squab and the cream cheese gelato, these were true standouts and items that I have talked about constantly since we finished out meal.

Komi, way to kick some serious ass!

"Oxtail mini-gyro with golden beet tzatziki and pomegranate glaze"

This is freaking me out a little bit, simply because I've grown up with tzatziki as a yogurt based dish. Is this still yogurt-based, but in the place of strained cucumbers, they have been replaced by golden beet? If that's the case, it sounds pretty ingenious.

"Oxtail mini-gyro with golden beet tzatziki and pomegranate glaze"

This is freaking me out a little bit, simply because I've grown up with tzatziki as a yogurt based dish. Is this still yogurt-based, but in the place of strained cucumbers, they have been replaced by golden beet? If that's the case, it sounds pretty ingenious.

Definitely still yogurt-based, but I'm not sure about the specifics of how the beets are used.

We have a few seats left... you can PM me or call.

VINICOLA HIDALGO SHERRY DINNER

Monday, May 14, 2007

6:30 PM

$150 Per Person

Join us May 14 as KOMI serves a dinner menu to complement the wines of Vinicola Hidalgo.

Our Greek mezzethakia are a natural match for the sherries of Jerez. After all, the cuisines of Greece and Andalucía are both rooted in the Mediterranean Sea; it is possible that Greek sailors introduced viticulture to Andalucia around the 6th century BCE; and the word Jerez may even be of Greek origin.

Winemaker Javier Hidalgo will be on hand to discuss his wines.

Please reserve with Derek Brown at (202) 332 9200.

Komi | www.komirestaurant.com | 1509 Seventeenth Street | Washington DC 20036

We have a few seats left... you can PM me or call.

VINICOLA HIDALGO SHERRY DINNER

Monday, May 14, 2007

6:30 PM

$150 Per Person

Join us May 14 as KOMI serves a dinner menu to complement the wines of Vinicola Hidalgo.

Our Greek mezzethakia are a natural match for the sherries of Jerez. After all, the cuisines of Greece and Andalucía are both rooted in the Mediterranean Sea; it is possible that Greek sailors introduced viticulture to Andalucia around the 6th century BCE; and the word Jerez may even be of Greek origin.

Winemaker Javier Hidalgo will be on hand to discuss his wines.

Please reserve with Derek Brown at (202) 332 9200.

Komi | www.komirestaurant.com | 1509 Seventeenth Street | Washington DC 20036

Damn, if I just lived 200 miles closer. :blink:

Took a friend to dinner at Komi this past weekend was, as usual, an excellent experience. So many wonderful tastes and textures that the time spent just flies by quickly.

Many of the items that we had have already been mentioned above, but some things are worth mentioning. Softshell crab served with a daikon radish stuffed with peekytoe crab meat with a side of fenugreek sauce. One of the only places that I have had a softshell crab better than Corduroy. We also got to taste some tiny boudin blanc sausages (made with goat and foie gras) that they said were new, and they were absolutely wonderful. The oxtail mini-gyro was, as mentioned earlier, incredible. The spit roasted katsikaki (baby goat) was one of the best entrée dishes that I have had there. Super crispy skin and meltingly soft and moist meat that fell off the bone. Served with a small dish of seasoned salt and some lemon wedges, just a fabulous dish.

It was great to see Derek in his new job and we had the usual impeccable service that is the standard at Komi. Our friend had heard quite a bit about this place from others and her expectations were still exceeded. Once again Johnny showed that he deserves all the recent press and more.

Wow. Sherry dinner tonight was beyond the eloquence I possess. At 20 something courses, I cannot divulge all the details but, some highlights....lamb tongue with fava beans and raviolli....wild boar blood sausage....flourless chocolate cake with olive oil jellato.....If somehow I was stricken with a horrible malady, and could taste no more, I would hold this meal in my mind as what food tastes like....

After another fantastic birthday dinner at Komi, my only real question is how previous posters can possibly recall all the dishes from an evening's meal. I can't remember everything we ate, and we didn't even do the degustazione. The food was incredible and the service quite possibly the best in the city. I know there had been some discussion months ago on whether the place was becoming too much of a hushed temple of gastronomy, but we were comfortable, happy, and laughing even while we were awed.

The mini-gyro was definitely a highlight, and I can't say enough about the season-your-own presentation of the baby goat.

Johnny Monis is certainly a star and deserves his accolades in the current issue of Food & Wine, as well as all the other praise we lavishly heap upon him. But Komi is its own galaxy, in a way, packed with other stars who all contribute to a great dining experience. The waitstaff always does a great job being informative and serious without pretension, and Chantal did a fantastic job helping us make our wine selections. The other great star of the night was the pastry chef, Brooks Headley, whose strawberry shortcake and cornmeal crespelle both knocked our socks off. Tasting his desserts made me realize that although I love a good cheese plate, I am not destined to have another one at Komi, because I will never be able to forgo what's on the dessert menu. (And yes, I could have both, but even a gluttonous girl has her limits.)

After another fantastic birthday dinner at Komi, my only real question is how previous posters can possibly recall all the dishes from an evening's meal. I can't remember everything we ate, and we didn't even do the degustazione.

Copious note-taking ;)

I'm going to Komi tomorrow night and was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether to go with the normal tasting or the Degustazione. I have been twice before, but not in 9 months and I am just wondering how the menu structure today (in terms of how many courses, etc.) relates to the one of old, and if the Degustazione still involves some choice. Also, anyone know if it's possible to order the Degustazione (if it is more food) without the wine pairing?

Thanks!

I'll definitely report back.

I'm going to Komi tomorrow night and was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether to go with the normal tasting or the Degustazione. I have been twice before, but not in 9 months and I am just wondering how the menu structure today (in terms of how many courses, etc.) relates to the one of old, and if the Degustazione still involves some choice. Also, anyone know if it's possible to order the Degustazione (if it is more food) without the wine pairing?

Thanks!

Also, it addition to this, what is the ambiance like? Is it the kind of place where one would get dressed up, or is it more casual?

The regular ($78pp) menu structure is the same as the tasting menu of old -- six to nine mezzathalakia, then a choice of pasta, choice of main, choice of dessert. I believe they said wine pairings were an additional $54pp. The Degustazione was explained to us as a number of extra dishes, paced out over several hours, as "more of an experience." My impression was, once you decide on that, there are no more choices. The conversation between myself and my +1 went something like this:

me: Well, we could do it.

+1: Should we?

me: Costwise it's not much more than the wine pairings and regular menu.

+1: But so much food.

me: Yeah, I don't want to be so full I can't enjoy dessert.

+1: The only way we could avoid getting too full would be, with some dishes, to leave food on the plate.

me: I don't think that's going to happen.

+1: Regular menu it is.

The place is dressed-up but not stuffy dressed-up; jacket and tie aren't necessary, but T-shirts and shorts aren't appropriate. Anywhere in the middle should be fine.

Also, it addition to this, what is the ambiance like? Is it the kind of place where one would get dressed up, or is it more casual?

It is a small, narrow room with low lighting. It is not a "formal" restaurant, but most people are dressed nicely and one certainly would not feel out of place dressed up. To me, Komi seems to be as dressy as you want to make it. I

Thanks!

I have only had the Degustazione and have yet to try the normal tasting. Like I mentioned upthread it was wonderful. About 22 or so course's with wine included. In my opinion it would have been a deal for the food alone. I imagine one could eliminate wines but maybe others can chime in on that option.

Where to start. It's funny, one would think that they would have so much to say about one of the 5 best meals that they have ever had, but I'm really struggling to find words. I think I will stick to the theme of this thread and just list the highlights.

1. Derek the Sommelier - I think enough has been said about him here and on other threads, but I just wanted to note what a delight he was throughout the meal. Accommodating, incredibly knowledgable, and the perfect level of attentiveness throughout the meal. The champagne he started with was heavenly and such a great beginner to this extraordinary meal. I wish I could remember some of the names of the 6 or so different glasses he poured, but I will say that there was not one in the group that I would call anything less than 'excellent'.

2. Date stuffed with marscapone and Greek yogurt - I asked our waiter if we could have a crate of these to go at the end of the meal. He laughed and walked away, not realizing that I was totally serious. It should be illegal to serve someone just one of something this good.

3. Mini oxtail gyro with Greek yogurt and yellow beets - Again, my only complaint about this was that I could not get the rest of the gyro that this one sliver was taken from. I will not even try to do this justice, but I will say that gyros will forever be ruined for me because I will always compare any one that I get in the future to the tiny one I had last night. I feel safe saying that they will not come close to measuring up.

4. Watermelon slice with soft cheese and a hazelnut - Who thinks of something like this? I swear Johnny Monis is a goddamn genius. The flavors meshed so well that I can see myself yearning for any creamy cheese and some hazelnuts the next time I come upon a slice of watermelon to try to replicate the joy that happened in my mouth last night.

5. Gorgonzola raviolini - Derek's deep red wine pairing really made this dish, going so well with the powerful cheese and balsamic drizzle that accompanied these little raviolis. Best pasta dish I have had in DC, hands down.

I left last night so disappointed in myself for having lived in the area for 5 years and never experiencing Komi before. If you have not been, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you go as soon as possible. And when you do, treat yourself and get the wine pairing. It is worth every cent (and that is a lot of pennies).

4. Watermelon slice with soft cheese and a hazelnut - Who thinks of something like this? I swear Johnny Monis is a goddamn genius. The flavors meshed so well that I can see myself yearning for any creamy cheese and some hazelnuts the next time I come upon a slice of watermelon to try to replicate the joy that happened in my mouth last night.
Without impugning either the dish or Chef's huge talent, I would just note that watermelon and feta is a pretty standard Greek pairing. Adding nuts? I'm not so sure.

Where to start. It's funny, one would think that they would have so much to say about one of the 5 best meals that they have ever had

You beat me to it. I had dinner there last night as well and second that.

totally crazy awesome= (cauliflower mousse+caviar+crab foam)/Arithi

This was the most insane food/wine pairing I have ever had in my life. I meant to say "Derek this is awesome.". Instead I said something like "Congratulations." cause I'm dumb.

At any rate this meal was one best I've ever had. Pacing was perfect. Service was warm & intelligent. The food...I can't even begin, except to say that there is no doubt to why he is one of F&Ws top 10.

Without impugning either the dish or Chef's huge talent, I would just note that watermelon and feta is a pretty standard Greek pairing. Adding nuts? I'm not so sure.

Shows you how much I know about Greek food, I guess. Any other places that you know of in the area that offer some variation or the other of this dish? I'd be very interested to try others to see what they're like.

I say go early. Our last dinner at Komi was at 5:30 and we were done at around 10:30, if not later.

Aw man. Your advice makes me giddy because a five-hour meal is frankly exactly what I'm going to need when I get back into town. [No sarcasm whatsoever.] [seriously.]

Thanks for the intel!!