Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

I must admit I am also in the dark on the relevance of this. Like those mentioned up thread Komi would have been booked up on a Saturday night regardless of a private party or not.

In the past I have noticed that Johnny will close the restaurant if he cant be there. I admire that. He likely doesn't have half the staff of other top end restaurants in the city, and refuses to compromise quality.

Also I can't speak for Chef Monis but I'm willing to bet that his motivation is not based on any attention from the media or press.

Name one single three or four star Washington Post restaurant that has closed for a private function on a Saturday night in the last six months?
Not a Washington Post restaurant, but we looked into buying out 5-10 what would be considered "Top Tier" restaurants in Chicago for our wedding. It's very doable.

Joe Schoendorf had a private party at the French Laundry for his 60th birthday. The thought of what it would cost to close the FL sends chills up my spine. ;)

Those costs are all relative, getting the French Laundry for a night most likely did not cost anymore than a roundtrip on a GV or BBJ from Teeterborro to San Francisco. If you live in that world such costs are no more severe than running to grab a cheap dirty water dog from the street vendor for lunch.

I cannot believe that a restaurant on this level would close for a private event on a Saturday night? Is it me or is this sheer insanity? What possible event could justify a public Saturday evening closure in the Spring? I believe he is also nominated for a national Beard Rising Star award where many judges will only have the opportunity to eat his cooking while they are visiting D. C. Closing on a Saturday night during the "window" for Beard votes does not either help him or help the city who is honored when one of its restaurants or chefs receives national recognition.

Perhaps, I'm over reacting but I do not understand the logic of a decision like this. Close your restaurant on a weeknight; keep it open to the public on weekends.

What is the big deal dude? Every restaurant has its price. Every restaurant. And on any day. Even The French Laundry. No big deal dude.

Question... has anyone else run into Komi's policy that they only take reservations for 4 or fewer people? I found this odd when attempting to book a dinner for my boyfriend's law school graduation? Is this common knowledge that I was just not aware of? Thanks!

Yes, no question. But to not be able to accomodate 7? I hadn't thought it was that small... sigh. Some other time I guess. ;)
The intimacy of the restaurant doesn't really allow for a bunch of 4 tops to be pushed together to make an 8 top. That plus, just as a guess, they may want to keep the noise level down for other diners for the sake of their intimacy. It's just a guess though, so take it for what it's worth.

The intimacy of the restaurant doesn't really allow for a bunch of 4 tops to be pushed together to make an 8 top. That plus, just as a guess, they may want to keep the noise level down for other diners for the sake of their intimacy. It's just a guess though, so take it for what it's worth.
No,. a good guess, and most likely accurate, or at least somewhat along those lines... I was really just wondering if they had always been taht way, or if it was a newer restriction...

I bet the boyfriend is now regretting the invitation of his brothers and sister-in-law, however, as he was looking forward to returning... ;)

Question... has anyone else run into Komi's policy that they only take reservations for 4 or fewer people? I found this odd when attempting to book a dinner for my boyfriend's law school graduation? Is this common knowledge that I was just not aware of? Thanks!

Chef Monis gives explanation here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0400299_pf.html

No,. a good guess, and most likely accurate, or at least somewhat along those lines... I was really just wondering if they had always been taht way, or if it was a newer restriction...

I bet the boyfriend is now regretting the invitation of his brothers and sister-in-law, however, as he was looking forward to returning... ;)

Back before they limited the number of tables, a group of my wino buddies hit Komi. I think there were 8 or 9 of us split between two adjoining tables. We had an amazing time, but it's too bad we can't do that again.....

I will add to the chorus -- Why did it take me so long to get to Komi? (especially since I live 2 blocks away!)

Went last night with a friend who sadly will soon be moving to NYC. There isn't much that hasn't been said already about the goat, the papardelle, and the dates -- all amazing -- so I don't have much to add there. But, the single best thing I have eaten in weeks has to be the "Caesar salad in it's own crouton". Hot, liquid earthy goodness inside a crouton -- it was so tasty I wanted to bathe in it.

We also forewent the wine pairings for Derek's cocktail and beer pairings. So good. The initial earl grey, port, and sparkling wine cocktail was so fantastic that my friend, who does not like any of those ingredients on their own, said she loved it! The beers were really great too. From what I recall there was an IPA, something else really malty, and a Goulden Carolous. Yum.

Just booked my third trip to Komi for a friend's going-away. It's gotten to the point where I'm avoiding eating out at other places so I can hit Komi more frequently. I can't remember who said it (Waitman maybe?), but the "every meal out is measured by how many KomiBucks it occupies" statement is pretty spot-on.

I've been trying to figure out what the optimal spacing between Komi visits is. We went again last night, and in early March before that. Which was *almost right*.... I'd been looking forward to dinner- well, ever since I made the reservation- but I think that every month and a half is perhaps a hair too frequent.

I think I've figured it out, though. One summer course at the university is roughly equal to 6 Komi visits for two. If I eschew taking a summer course, I'll both have time to sleep in all summer *and* I'll have indirectly funded my Komi addiction.

Done and done.

Derek's London Special- port, sparkling wine, earl grey bitters, and orange peel- could make an addict out of me.

Everything was wonderful, and I think that Nick's parents are really regretting ignoring my excellent advice to just go to Komi already when I suggested it 8 months ago. So much so that they're *already* plotting to go without us.

New to me from last time:

-Slow-cooked egg in shell, presented with bottarga piled on a small cracker on top. Mix the bottarga in, and go to town with a tiny spoon-scoop.

-Mini goat-burgers with sauteed onions wrapped in pita. Mmmmm!

-Grilled octopus- so tender!

-a foie gras puff next to a pillow of goat cheese that started out buttery smooth but finished by reminding you that yes, this was Goat Cheese.

There were a couple of other new bits, but those were the ones that stood out for me. We had the degustazione and got the spit-roasted goat again, which worked really well because Nick's parents never would have ordered it and they were utterly surprised to adore it.

I am fat and happy.

-Slow-cooked egg in shell, presented with bottarga piled on a small cracker on top. Mix the bottarga in, and go to town with a tiny spoon-scoop.

One of my favorite tastes of 2008.

-Mini goat-burgers with sauteed onions wrapped in pita. Mmmmm!

Don't try and make them trite. ;) They are mini gyros.

Did you get the savory desserts?

Don't try and make them trite. ;) They are mini gyros.

Did you get the savory desserts?

I wasn't- we got the gyros the last time. *This* time it was mini burgers. Both tasty, both different.

Lets see- I'm trying to remember all of the desserts, but we'd gotten a bit silly by that point. There was a mango, cayenne, and yoghurt drink... there was a goat-cheese sorbet, I think, paired with strong cherries, and I remember a caramelized sugar-structure filled with a creamy chocolate substance, and a perfectly-dense cake that I only got a microscopic bite of, and a fortune cookie that I got none of.

I took my mom out last night for a belated Mother's Day dinner at Komi. She said that the tasting menu at Komi was better than Maestro's.

It was the first time either of us had eaten there. It was memorable.

Everything was prepared well and ingredients were outstanding, but what I thought really put it over the top was the courage and innovation the chef has when creating this tasting menu. The flavor combinations were very unique- and each one worked great. Ingredients were unique as well- unique kinds of fish, wines that I couldn't pronounce, goat served with pita as an entree, a "white port" for dessert wine, feta cheese gelato, raw scallop, curry crackers, French breakfast radishes dipped in taragon yogurt, etc.

I got the full tasting menu with 5 wine pairings. I just got around to eating again about an hour ago...

I've been wanting to try Komi for a solid two years--every time I walk to Sushi Taro, I stare longingly into the windows. Thanks to my sister's boyfriend, I was able to experience Komi before moving to Atlanta. And thank goodness, because it was absolutely amazing and exceeded my very high expectations.

My sister wanted to get the "Dinner," but the rest of us wanted to go all out and get the full tasting menu. We won. :lol: Mezzethakia included radishes with tarragon yogurt; a HUGE live diver scallop, prepared two ways (one included hearts of palm and some horseradish, but the other was even more decadent, with velvety slices in a dill-mustard sauce--divine); goat cheese-stuffed roasted dates; Caesar salad in its own crouton; a beef tartare cone with parmesan foam; mini lamb "gyros" (with homemade sausage, caramelized onions, cucumber, and crispy pita); and a trio plate that included a foie gras "burger" with shallot confit, a goat cheese "smore," and a red pepper jelly. With the exception of the beef tartare, which was simply okay, all of the small plates were just astounding in their deliciousness and creativity.

We got three different pastas: my favorite was the spaghetti with uni, crab, and habanero. Fantastic. The fava bean caramella with char-grilled octopus was also wonderful, and the third pasta's details escape me, though I do remember that it was served with mushrooms and a great pea pesto sauce.

For the main courses, we were presented with the spit-roasted baby goat with pita and the trio of slow-roasted suckling pig (complete with shoulder, loin, and blood sausage). The goat was astoundingly tender and sweet--a delightful introduction to the meat, which none of us remembered trying previously. It was served with a variety of "sauces," including a cilantro/sea salt mixture, an eggplant puree, and a habanero hot sauce. The pig was very tasty (except for the blood sausage--I tried it, but I'm just not a fan, as I had a very bad experience with that particular food item in Spain), but the goat definitely stole the show. Out of this world.

The cheese course was feta gelato with sour cherries. For me, this was the only miss of the evening--but in the interest of full disclosure, I don't think I could eat a spoonful of ACTUAL feta either.

Before dessert, we were given a small beverage consisting of mango, yogurt, and cayenne pepper. Delicious, and so refreshing.

Dessert included Greek donuts (with some sort of chocolate mousse, though I don't recall the exact accompaniments), strawberry shortcake, and a chocolate-pistachio cake. All of the sweets were incredibly well done, but I think the winner was the shortcake, due to its lightness (I was pretty full by that point) and the seasonality and freshness of the fruit. The donuts were a very close second.

Our server (Sean?) was really awesome, and the atmosphere was respectful without being stodgy. With tax, tip, and two beers (Bell's Oberon, yummmm), the total came to $160. I would pay it again and again. Bravo! DC is lucky to have Komi, and I can't wait for my next visit to come back.

I really would not know where to start or finish in describing what my wife and I had tonight at Komi, but the live diver scallop prepared two ways, the slow cooked egg, the roasted goat leg, and just about everything else were perfect. Derek you are a gentleman and a scholar and your crew rank amongst the best in the city.

The one and only quibble would be the urinal, I am slightly above the national average in height and it is almost too high for me. Otherwise, what I experienced tonight exceeded every meal I have had in this city or even in New York (including Per Se and Le Bernardin).

Komi, komi, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

Pork Belly in pita. This was an orgasm for the mouth.

Gazpacho with cucumber foam. Summer in a glass.

Scallops Two ways, hold the dill (damn allergies.)

Derek's cocktails

Pâté in what seemed to be a tiny choux pastry

Slow-cooked egg, a slightly sweeter variation than last time. (I think I prefer the bottarga variation, but really, that's just splitting hairs)

Delicate Sashimi

a creamy Robiola

A lovely view of part of the kitchen.

A perfect steak with pita. Sadly, exhaustion had caught up to us by that point, and we couldn't do justice to the steak or the desserts. But I will be making stock today, oh yes I will! Even through the exhaustion, though, it was a wonderful evening. The experience was pretty much damn perfect. Everyone truly cares about what they are doing, the food is utterly spectacular, the space is warm and spare, and it's a joy to be there. I wish I could be more eloquent. Everyone, and everything was fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better anniversary.

Thanks Joe, great write up. So if the $84 is about 8-10 dishes, (about) how many come with the $108?

We had our anniversary dinner at Komi last night. There were a total of 22 "tastes" from about 14 or 15 courses on the $108 prix fixe-which is a real bargain considering recent inflation in food sourcing. Suckling pig and goat were the two signature savories of the night. Over an evening of incredible tastes and textures perhaps the single most moan inducing was the simplest: a warm mascarpone and goat yogurt stuffed Medjool date with fleur de lys and olive oil drizzled on top. As with many of the courses just one bite. But this would be a contender for my choice of the last bite I might ever have on earth.

One of the courses included a mound of lump crab meat sourced from Maryland's Eastern Shore. We were told the supplier was "Baxter" from Easton but an internet search turned up only a three person company entitlted "Baxter's soft shell crabs." Regardless, the lump meat was sweet and succulent. It was also a generous portion to be part of such a lengthy menu.

One of the courses included a mound of lump crab meat sourced from Maryland's Eastern Shore.

D'oh, completely forgot about this one. And yes, very very generous and succulent.

I'd briefly wondered if anyone else from DR was there last night, but then got distracted. *waves hi in retrospect*

The Zuni Cafe cookbook from last year (Beard winning cookbook and chef) has what appears to be a similar recipe for a Medjool date stuffed with mascarpone, chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds. I actually just ordered it and am going to attempt to play around with the recipe to see if I can't come close to Komi's. The Zuni version will probably have more crunch but it sounds interesting.

We had our anniversary dinner at Komi last night. There were a total of 22 "tastes" from about 14 or 15 courses on the $108 prix fixe-which is a real bargain considering recent inflation in food sourcing. Suckling pig and goat were the two signature savories of the night. Over an evening of incredible tastes and textures perhaps the single most moan inducing was the simplest: a warm mascarpone and goat yogurt stuffed Medjool date with fleur de lys and olive oil drizzled on top. As with many of the courses just one bite. But this would be a contender for my choice of the last bite I might ever have on earth.

One of the courses included a mound of lump crab meat sourced from Maryland's Eastern Shore. We were told the supplier was "Baxter" from Easton but an internet search turned up only a three person company entitlted "Baxter's soft shell crabs." Regardless, the lump meat was sweet and succulent. It was also a generous portion to be part of such a lengthy menu.

I think the date is the one item on the menu that has been there from the beginning, or damn close. I wonder what would happen if he decided to stop making it. :lol:

I think the date is the one item on the menu that has been there from the beginning, or damn close. I wonder what would happen if he decided to stop making it. :lol:

Could it be a seasonal item? I did not have it as part of my recent meal.

Could it be a seasonal item? I did not have it as part of my recent meal.

I had it in Feb, April, and now this weekend. Not seasonal; but definitely dependent on the quality of the date. The food co-op dates I served this weekend at a party didn't even deserve to be called cousins of the dates Komi serves. I would imagine that Monis just wouldn't serve them if there was anything average about the date quality that week.

The food co-op dates I served this weekend at a party didn't even deserve to be called cousins of the dates Komi serves.

If you are looking for good ones, Balducci's has some of the best I have ever found. They are large and plump without the hardened skin that I find on most. This is off topic, but that has never stopped me before, I like to stuff them with a sharp Spanish blue, and Serrano, then lightly bread them and deep fry them.

I look forward to trying the ones the you describe.

Cool sighting of the week - Enjoying another great meal at Komi last night when Tim and Nina Zagat show up out of the pouring rain, wait patiently for several minutes at the front, then are taken to to back of the dining room for several minutes before meeting with chef Monis for a brief chat. Apparently they were in town for the release of the new guide and were congratulating the chefs at the top of the list. Derek might be kicking himself since he was off last night.

When I mentioned to my wife last night that Derek may no longer be there she started tearing up. Maybe me too but I'll never confirm. :lol:

Amazing how some places manage to touch your heart. If only more restaurants could accomplish that.

I need to get back to Komi as it's been far to long. And very best wishes for Derek.

I refer back to my response to the "Sommelier Shake Up/Down" post, whichever way it was going, and quote the old man they are trying to pawn off on the leper wagon in Monty Python's The Holy Grail:

"I'm not dead yet."

I still work for Komi and continue to oversee the wine list, pairings and consult on management issues. My job has become more administrative but I am still very much a part of Komi. I have taken on additional projects, especially associated with the D.C. Craft Bartenders Guild and Museum of the American Cocktail, and have started a side business consulting on beverages, but I am at Komi on a semi-regular basis and will be here when Robert40 and his wife come to dinner because it is not just restaurants that inspire people, sometimes it works the other way too.

In my stead, we have commissioned Basheer Murshed to oversee wine sales on the floor. He is very capable and has worked with me going back to Firefly and during the last year-and-a-half at Komi. This is transitional and I will definitely keep the board up-to-date if-and-when I leave Komi. I do appreciate the concern.

and will be here when Robert40 and his wife come to dinner because it is not just restaurants that inspire people, sometimes it works the other way too.
That's one of the best things I've ever read on this board.

Good luck in all of your endeavors.

"I'm not dead yet."

I still work for Komi and continue to oversee the wine list, pairings and consult on management issues. My job has become more administrative but I am still very much a part of Komi.

That's great news :lol:
I have taken on additional projects, especially associated with the D.C. Craft Bartenders Guild and Museum of the American Cocktail, and have started a side business consulting on beverages...
The Guild and the Museum both sound very interesting and worthy of further explanation/info. Maybe in a separate thread in the Beer and Wine or Events forum? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know more about the Guild and events like "Rickey Month", as well as the MOTAC.
In my stead, we have commissioned Basheer Murshed to oversee wine sales on the floor. He is very capable and has worked with me going back to Firefly and during the last year-and-a-half at Komi. This is transitional and I will definitely keep the board up-to-date if-and-when I leave Komi. I do appreciate the concern.
Sounds like wine drinkers are in good hands no matter who happens to be filling their glasses at Komi. Thanks for the update!

It would appear that Komi is once again taking reservations after a long series of breaks.

They take reservations up to a month in advance, but when I called on Sept 18th to make an Oct 18th res, it turned out they were closed until the 23rd. So I called today as their res line opened, but they were already booked up that night except for a 9PM slot. Not sure how that happened.

Settled for 6PM that Friday instead.

It would appear that Komi is once again taking reservations after a long series of breaks.

They take reservations up to a month in advance, but when I called on Sept 18th to make an Oct 18th res, it turned out they were closed until the 23rd. So I called today as their res line opened, but they were already booked up that night except for a 9PM slot. Not sure how that happened.

Settled for 6PM that Friday instead.

Komi's reservation line reopened on Tuesday, September 9th. I had to call that day to get a reservation for this Saturday for my anniversary.

Komi's reservation line reopened on Tuesday, September 9th. I had to call that day to get a reservation for this Saturday for my anniversary.
They reopened the 9th, yes. Then when I called the 18th (to try and get a reservation the following 18th) I got a message that they were again closed until the 23rd.

They reopened the 9th, yes. Then when I called the 18th (to try and get a reservation the following 18th) I got a message that they were again closed until the 23rd.

The did not reopen the restaurant on the 9th, just the reservation line. The restaurant was closed from August 24 through September 22.