Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

Having not been back to Komi in far to long I thought someone may have updated info?

A friend who will be visiting Komi soon is curious about Johnny's policy on photography in the dining room. (No flash or blog use)

I have heard rumors that photos are no longer allowed and was wondering if anyone could confirm so I could pass on.

Thanks!

Why not call Komi directly and ask them?

Why not call Komi directly and ask them?

Because this is the age of food/restaurant discussion boards therefore causing phones to become obsolete. :angry:

Truth is I don't know why he didn't call and ask. Can't speculate, but maybe he felt uncomfortable doing so if the policy rumors are true. I will suggest it to him though.

Because this is the age of food/restaurant discussion boards therefore causing phones to become obsolete. :angry:

Truth is I don't know why he didn't call and ask. Can't speculate, but maybe he felt uncomfortable doing so if the policy rumors are true. I will suggest it to him though.

I would think that calling ahead would be better anyway. Even if they have restrictions (I have no idea), getting a polite call ahead of time would likely be better received than being asked by someone on the spot.

Can someone refresh my memory? I haven't eaten at Komi's in a long while...are their Mascarpone Dates wrapped in Prosciutto? I read on another site that they are but I don't remember them as such! Am I going senile?

Johnny Monis would never do something so crude; you're thinking of Jaleo's bacon-wrapped dates, or perhaps Komi's speck-wrapped white tuna.

Johnny Monis would never do something so crude; you're thinking of Jaleo's bacon-wrapped dates, or perhaps Komi's speck-wrapped white tuna.

No, I am thinking correctly as I don't remember prosciutto on them. Thanks Don, I thought I was losing my mind since I remember things like that very well.

Grr... just mistakenly deleted my old post because I hit the "add reply" button instead of the "post" button below. I guess it comes with being new to the forum!

Anyway, great experience at Komi tonight. Their Greek wine selection is great, and I think most of our dishes were commented on already so I'll save the space and highlight the best part of any meal--dessert! They had a tangerine creamsicle to start, which was spot-on and a great palate cleanser while having a taste and style all its own, which is hard to find; most restaurants I've been at have either "blah" palate cleansers or dishes that claim to be palate cleansers but actually have so much flavor on their own that they'll linger on the palate, defeating the purpose of a palate cleanser...

Then there were the Greek doughnuts, which were our favorite dessert, a light but satisfying end to the meal that blends a honeyed taste with a perfect texture--but these were overtaken by our new favorite dessert--FROZEN BAKLAVA! This was a real treat--I never thought Komi could pull off a dessert better than the doughnuts, but, as is often the case at Komi, they did, somehow. The dessert is a different take on baklava with a temperature and texture all its own--cinnamon ice cream with wafers of crisp phyllo dough.

Also worth noting is the great waitstaff. Even though we go only a couple times a year, they treat us like old friends... they remember things that came up at our last visit and will check back on us. It really gives things a personal touch and reminds us that they go the extra mile to make the dining experience great and personable.

My wife and I had a very lovely meal here tonight. Everything we had was very good, the pacing was perfect, the service was wonderful.

And, yet, nothing we had was so transcendent that I'll remember it a few months later, and for a restaurant that gets as much acclaim, ranked #1 by Washingtonian, and at $125pp, I somehow expected more.

In the past year, I've had special occasion meals at Corduroy, Marcel's, Proof, and Komi, and I'd probably rank them in that order for overall experience and value.

This is what I love about food, restaurants, and the subjective nature of it all. My wife and I have experienced dozens of tasting menus over the past few years. After a recent tasting menu at Volt, which was technically fantastic but left us wanting, we decided to swear off tasting menus. Except Komi.

"That meal was transcendant", were her exact words. And I agreed.

I'm just bored of tasting menus, because of the time, the money, and they rarely seem like a value afterwards. And honestly, most of these menus are complete and totally stretches, more style over substance. I have ADD and no one can hold my attention and satisfy my growling belly over 9, 12, 15 21, 28 courses. Frankly, I get bored. "Thanks for turning that kumquat into a powder, but can I just have a plate of food, please?"

Give me 3, 4, or 5 course that are all gutsy and rock-solid, and you'll have me for life.

What says special occasion better than the window table at Komi? The jealous passersby on 17th St. are just a bonus ;) Tonight's meal featured a lot more raw mezzethakia than usual and it was perfect for this warm spring night. Standouts included a salmon belly ceviche with shiso sorbet and candied pinenuts, the scallops with mustard sauce and truffles, and a tiny little bun with creme fraiche, caviar and chives. We were already full by the time the last mezze arrived but managed to make room for the amazing handmade pastas. The latest incarnation of the uni spaghetti was like a creamy, tomatoey, bite of ocean- I just wish it were a tad less salty. I could eat the crispy skin on the suckling pig every day but it's way too early for Lipitor! The salt-encrusted branzino was the most tender, moist rendition of that dish I've ever tasted. Komi deserves every superlative it gets on this board- hope I don't have to wait for the next birthday to return!

Here is a slightly edited version of my blog post. Since you all know komi, I cut out a lot of the details that you all probably know.

It amazes me that Johnny Monis, ex-McCrady’s opened the restaurant at the age of 24 in 2005. (It amazes me when anyone does anything at 24.) It went on my list almost immediately.

Of course, that was before chefs invented the “no photography” rule, which Monis has since instituted much to my disappointment. It wasn’t without a very long pause that I decided to eat at komi, despite this ridiculousness.

Am I sorry about my decision?

Yes: I can’t share a lick of it, visually, with you.

And no: our 14-course plus meal ($125 per person) was a steady parade of successful dishes with pockets of brilliance. It’s one of the best meals I’ve had in a while.

-

1st Course

Kampachi

Smoked tuna broth.

2nd Course

Madai

Grated Japanese wasabi.

3rd Course

Steamed Brioche

Crème fraîche, smoked salmon roe.

4th Course

Scallop in Two Preparations

Scallop

Shellfish sabayon, almonds, cilantro.

Scallop

Dill mustard, black truffle.

5th Course

Alaskan King Salmon Belly

White Baltic salmon, shiso sorbet, candied pinenuts

6th Course

Crispy “Caesar” Salad

Warm Romaine cream, Caesar dressing, Parmesan cheese.

7th Course

Mini Pork Belly Sandwich

8th Course

Charred Octopus

Charred cauliflower and grilled scallion salad

Onion yogurt, candied pecans

9th Course

House-made Mortadella

Crispy halloumi, egg whites, capers, grainy mustard, red onion.

10th Course

Oven-roasted Medjool Date

Mascarpone, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt.

11th Course

Ricotta Ravioli

English peas, garlic, black pepper.

Papardelle

Quail ragu, black olive puree

12th Course

Roasted Suckling Pig

Roasted Goat

Accompaniments

Pita, oregano salt, chile sauce, roasted red onion mustard,

cabbage and cumin slaw, cucumber tzatziki.

13th Course

La Tur

Fennel mostarda.

14th Course

Tangerine Creamcicles

Hibiscus salt.

15th Course

Frozen Baklava

Cinnamon ice cream, phyllo.

16th Course

Soft Chocolate

Fennel, ouzo ice cream.

-----

Salted Lemon Lollipop

-

The first ten courses were “mezze” – small one/two-bite dishes. At least three or four of them were presented as finger food (server holding the serving dish while you pluck and eat directly with no layover on your plate). A clever way to minimize the use of silverware and dishes, I suppose.

Most of the mezze were minimalist, showcasing one or two ingredients. There were a couple of exceptions, like the “Crispy Caesar Salad,” which was more manipulated and “conceptualized” than the norm, something out of the playground of Cantu or Bowles. But it was delicious – a warm, creamy romaine lettuce cream encapsulated in a croquette topped with Caesar dressing and Parmesan shavings.

For the most part, dishes were served family-style. There were a few that were served individually, like the salmon belly tartare, which came in long-stemmed cocktail glasses; the cheese course; and the last two desserts.

Monis likes salt. It appears prominently in all his dishes.

He uses it to great effect.

We balked at the hill of salt on top of his famous stuffed dates. But the dates were so sweet, the salt was needed. There was a wonderful balance. The warm, fruity extra virgin olive oil that coated the dates and the plate stole my heart. I found myself double and triple dredging the date around the plate just to pick up more oil and salt.

In one dish, however, he crossed the line. The scallop duo – to one side, a slice of scallop resting a bed of creamy dill mustard and topped with a slice of black truffle, to the other side, a tartare of scallop with shellfish sabayon and pulverized almonds – was too salty, even though the scallops were immensely sweet and delicious. Pity.

Monis serves excellent “crudi” (my description, not his). The kampachi was especially nice. The flesh, well-rested, had a wonderful texture and flavor. So did the silky king salmon belly tartare, which was juxtaposed with an almost-crispy slice of white Baltic salmon. Both kinds of salmon were raw, a unique comparison.

There was wonderful housemade mortadella, sliced and folded like satin kerchiefs, served with crispy cubes of halloumi and a bevy of garnishes.

And there were marvelous ribbons of fresh, egg papardelle, hugged by a quail ragu whose sweetness was checked by a salty dollop of black olive puree. The noodles displayed admirable elasticity. (The ravioli, on the other hand, were very soft – the cloud-like packets with fluffy ricotta filling melted away in the mouth.)

Both the roasted goat and roasted suckling pig, served on large plates family-style, were excellent, perhaps the highlights of the meal. This meatfest was the “main course,” the end to the savory courses.

The roasted pig – a nicely bronzed front quarter – was presented at the table before being taken to the kitchen where it was disassembled. The meat was pulled and the crackling removed, cut into squares and scattered over the meat.

The slab of goat sported a thin, crisp layer of skin. The interior was very moist and tender; it shredded with the slightest pressure. The goat meat was very clean – almost too clean-tasting for me. The suckling pig had more flavor.

Both meats came with pita wedges straight from the oven – fluffy, pillowy, warm, comforting. There was a row of condiments, including an especially rich tzatziki. It was all presented in a excitingly unstructured way – a choose your own adventure course.

I made mini gyros. A slap of tzatziki. A dash of lemon. Some “oregano salt.” Comfort food.

The meal headed slightly downhill after the main meat dishes.

The cheese course was fine, but nothing extraordinary. (Or, is it because I generally find “composed” cheese courses too precious and forced?)

Desserts were alright, but certainly the weakest link (is there a dedicated pastry chef at komi?). The “animal cookies” sent out for a birthday celebrant at our table tasted stale . They weren’t very good.

The soft chocolate dessert was very forgettable, even if it included very good ouzo ice cream.

Service was good, although I still prefer to have just one server, as opposed to drawing from a pool of servers. But, I must commend the staff on being so coordinated. The restaurant was full, servers rotated, yet nothing was amiss. They were polished, on cue, and knowledgeable.

The long, narrow dining room is stuccoed in butter yellow. The floors were wood-paneled. There weren’t more than fifteen tables – every one of them full. komi reminded me of a Spartan (no pun intended) version of Vetri Ristorante. They even have the same degustazione-only weekend concept – a flurry of small bites, then pasta, then meat, and finally a couple of desserts.

From my seat, I had a direct eye-line through the open door into the well-illuminated kitchen. Given that the restaurant was dimly lit, it was sort of like sitting in a movie theatre facing an open fire exit. If you don’t want to be distracted by the sight of Johnny Monis cooking, or his cook tossing pita throughout the evening, you had better request a table towards the front of the restaurant.

“Yea or nay," an acquaintance asked me.

Based on one meal, this gentleman from the State of Missouri will vote yea.

Monis’s food is most successful where it’s honest. It’s immensely satisfying.

This isn’t the place to go for innovation or subtlety. Neither is it a place to seek unfettered genius. Rather, komi delivers notably high-quality ingredients that are, for the most part, minimally handled and executed with rewarding precision.

Rising Star? Monis is up for a second nomination this year at the James Beard Awards. He faces, among others, a Keller protege (Hollingsworth) and a Robuchon protege (Pugin). I wish him the best of luck.

Four years ago last night, I had dinner at The Inn at Little Washington; last night, I had dinner at Komi.

I had to restrain myself from ordering the Katsikaki, and I'm glad I did, because it gave me a chance to try the earth-shattering Lavraki me Alati - one of the most perfectly cooked examples of fish I've ever eaten.

Do not - repeat, do not - feel guilty about bypassing the Katsikaki or Suckling Pig for this triumphant fish!

During my meal, a potentially lunkish four-top came in and started yabbering about politics, world affairs, their jobs, etc. These folks seemed to have Morton's stamped all over them; yet, it was fascinating to hear their conversation soften and turn as the courses kept arriving, the conversation slowly evolving from dull, distant affairs into subdued appreciation about the moment in which they were now living.

They had been silently persuaded to come and enjoy life. It takes a special restaurant to do that, and Komi can do it every time.

Cheers,

Rocks

Four years ago last night, I had dinner at The Inn at Little Washington; last night, I had dinner at Komi.

I had to restrain myself from ordering the Katsikaki, and I'm glad I did, because it gave me a chance to try the earth-shattering Lavraki me Alati - one of the most perfectly cooked examples of fish I've ever eaten.

Do not - repeat, do not - feel guilty about bypassing the Katsikaki or Suckling Pig for this triumphant fish!

Is that the fish baked in salt? If so, then I agree, although others about ordering it. Although other folks at the table ordered the roasted pig so I did not have to go without.

I cannot and will not regret the wonderful, roasted goat and suckling pig I had at komi. But a wee envious of that gorgeous salt-encrusted fish that was served to a neighboring four-top the night I dined. Next time. Next time.

Just came back from our first meal at Komi (a late Saturday night seating). People have recently mentioned choosing their entrees. We didn't have a choice - we were presented with a rather delicious slab of roasted goat. I'm happy with the way that worked out, but considering that I would have ordered the pig if given the option I'm curious if the rules are different on weekends, or if maybe they just ran out of the other options. Any thoughts?

Just came back from our first meal at Komi (a late Saturday night seating). People have recently mentioned choosing their entrees. We didn't have a choice - we were presented with a rather delicious slab of roasted goat. I'm happy with the way that worked out, but considering that I would have ordered the pig if given the option I'm curious if the rules are different on weekends, or if maybe they just ran out of the other options. Any thoughts?

On Friday and Saturday nights, it's degustazione ($125) only, meaning that there is no choice of pasta or main course; you're turning yourself over to the restaurant in entirety. On Tuesday through Thursday, a "simpler" menu ($90) is also available which involves the diner choosing one pasta and one entree for the final two savory courses. At least that's the way I believe it works - if tonight was your first meal at Komi, that goat is an excellent thing to have been served.

I guess if you're dying for suckling pig, it never hurts to ask if they have it in stock, even on weekends. They make substitutions for allergies, I believe, so perhaps also for special requests.

Either way, a great dining experience?

Cheers,

Rocks

P.S. I'd prefer my mascarpone stuffed date to be served a touch cooler than the one I most recently had, but boy that's a small nitpick.

OK, got it.

Either way, a great dining experience?

In a word, no.

It certainly wasn't a bad experience. A lot of very good dishes came out from a clearly very talented kitchen. There were quite a few items that I would happily eat again, and if I knew of a restaurant where I could order a simple appetizer and that goat, at a reasonable price point, I'd be calling for a reservation right now.

Unfortunately, Komi isn't just an average restaurant. It's now frequently mentioned as possibly the top restaurant in Washington. More importantly, the overall experience - the tasting menu-only format, the calling one month out for reservations, the price point - says this is something special, something great.

The food, sadly, didn't back that up. Let me repeat - it was very good. Nearly every bite gave me something to enjoy, react to, think about. But it wasn't great. There was no wow, no transcendence. I've had many meals where at the first taste of a dish, the logical part of my brain steps aside, and the reaction is pure emotion, pure pleasure. I've had that first taste push me back in my chair with closed eyes and a silly grin; or force out the words "Holy fuck, that's good" before realizing that I'm in a public place and perhaps should choose other language. No such moment for me last night; for NQD only the date approached that. That's not a requirement for a good meal, but for a great meal, it is.

Komi is a good restaurant, clearly, but I've had many better meals in DC.

Not being the best is certainly no crime. But it fell far short of the expectations raised by reviews, word-of-mouth, and the restaurant itself. And at over $200/person (with tax, tip and four glasses of wine for two people), that's a hard fall.

It must have been date night.

Don,

Bobby and I went to Komi last Saturday night. Missed the President by a day. If he was there I would have invited him to our restaurant. Actually we are starting a Bring Obama to Bobby's campaign. More info on that shortly. The staff said it was great having the President there. Very exciting for everyone at the restaurant. It was my first time dining at Komi. We went with another couple who arrived on time. Bobby was late, almost an hour late and despite his late arrival the staff took such good care of us, did not rush us and I actually had a chance to enjoy my dinner without being made to feel horrible that everyone is waiting for me to leave so they can too which typically happens when we go out after we leave our restaurant.

I agree with your review of the fish it was fabulous. The best part of the entire meal. Loved the raw fish and the dates as well. I am a salt fiend but I found some of the taste's way too salty. Thanks to all who wrote for the date recipie.

Sari

I agree with your review of the fish it was fabulous.

Sari

On Friday and Saturday nights, it's degustazione ($125) only, meaning that there is no choice of pasta or main course; you're turning yourself over to the restaurant in entirety. On Tuesday through Thursday, a "simpler" menu ($90) is also available which involves the diner choosing one pasta and one entree for the final two savory courses.

Glad you liked the fish, Sari!

I also need to update my post of two weeks ago: On Komi's website, it now says that as of June 8th, they will only be serving the $125 degustazione, i.e., no more $90 menu. This is an important distinction, as the entry level for Komi is now going up to over $160 per person (including tax and tip, but without any wine). I believe this is now clearly the most expensive restaurant in the immediate area in terms of just walking through the door.

Other comparable bare-minimum, entry-level meals:

Inn at Little Washington: $168 (as low as $138 certain days of the week)

Vidalia 24: $150 including beverage pairing (much less in the main dining room)

Volt Table 21: $121 ($95 in the Chef's dining room, much less in the main dining room)

Sushi Taro Sushi Counter: $120 (less for the other menus)

Tasting Room at Eve: $110 (much less in the bistro and lounge)

Citronelle: $105 (much less in the lounge)

CityZen: $80 ($50 at the bar)

Charleston: $74

Palena: $58 (much less in the lounge)

There are others, of course, such as Corduroy, 2941, Inox, Adour, Plume, Marcel's, Oval Room, etc., but those menus don't exert any pressure towards ordering a multi-course meal.

Cheers,

Rocks

What says special occasion better than the window table at Komi?

Called yesterday at noon-on-the-dot, and 67 re-dials later I nailed our reservation for 18 June -- woohoo!

When we went to Komi last year, our first time, I noticed the window to the kitchen in the back and thought it'd be cool to sit at the table next to it, to be able to watch the magic happening -- so I requested that table when I made the reservation, but now I'm wondering whether the window is low enough for one to see the kitchen activity while seated -- is it?

Thanks!

-- Monte

Called yesterday at noon-on-the-dot, and 67 re-dials later I nailed our reservation for 18 June -- woohoo!

When we went to Komi last year, our first time, I noticed the window to the kitchen in the back and thought it'd be cool to sit at the table next to it, to be able to watch the magic happening -- so I requested that table when I made the reservation, but now I'm wondering whether the window is low enough for one to see the kitchen activity while seated -- is it?

Thanks!

-- Monte

We sat at the table next to the kitchen and had a pretty good view. I don't specifically remember where exactly the view stopped and the wall started (as in, can you see the counter space, etc) but did have a good sightline into what was going on in the kitchen.

We sat at the table next to the kitchen and had a pretty good view. I don't specifically remember where exactly the view stopped and the wall started (as in, can you see the counter space, etc) but did have a good sightline into what was going on in the kitchen.

Thanks! Anyone else with like experince remember more specifics? We're fairly inexperienced, hardcore-foodie-wise, having done Komi once, the minibar once, and the Laboratorio 12 times, the Lab getting us accustomed to watching the Chef at work -- so we'd like to get as close as we can to seeing that with Maestro Chef Monis: is the table at the window at the back the best (only?) way to do this?

Thanks! Anyone else with like experince remember more specifics? We're fairly inexperienced, hardcore-foodie-wise, having done Komi once, the minibar once, and the Laboratorio 12 times, the Lab getting us accustomed to watching the Chef at work -- so we'd like to get as close as we can to seeing that with Maestro Chef Monis: is the table at the window at the back the best (only?) way to do this?

Komi is not designed to have a bird's-eye view of kitchen labor. You can see people doing their work in the kitchen, but I don't think they want people neglecting their meal to watch a puppet show.

Incidentally, I called recently at 4 PM, and got a 5:30 reservation (undoubtedly due to a cancellation). It never hurts to try.

Komi is not designed to have a bird's-eye view of kitchen labor. You can see people doing their work in the kitchen, but I don't think they want people neglecting their meal to watch a puppet show.

Watching the kitchen seems to make sense to me only when you are dining alone, otherwise it seems rather rude to ignore your dining companions.

Watching the kitchen seems to make sense to me only when you are dining alone, otherwise it seems rather rude to ignore your dining companions.

My wife & I love avidly watching the process, certainly w/o neglecting each other while consuming and rapturously enjoying -- which may be partially why Chef Donna invited us to be his guests a the final Laboratorio....

I might have A.D.D. compared to the rest of you. I was seated with a direct eye line into a kitchen. Without trying to be rude, I'm sure I was mesmerized by one of the cooks tossing and twirling those fluffy pitas more than I should have. As I said above (somewhere?), when you're sitting in a dark room and there's a bright source of light, it's hard NOT to gaze toward it, especially if there's activity going on, however mind-numbing it might be.

Went to Komi last night. Absolutely incredible meal. Flawless. We happened to sit at the same table the Obama's did (right next to kitchen). My butt feels very presidential right now.

I got some tips on how to make their famous dates, when I perfect the recipe, I will post it.

I asked the servers about the Obama visit, they were all super excited and honored to have them there. Everyone had very positive things to say about them. I asked if Obama was a good tipper and the waiter responded coyly that it was a matter of national security, so he couldn't tell me. :lol:

Went to Komi last night. Absolutely incredible meal. Flawless. We happened to sit at the same table the Obama's did (right next to kitchen). My butt feels very presidential right now.

We went last night, and our butts too feel very presidential and first ladyish! It was fun to watch through the window -- and even better to eat! Kat's wines were wonderful, and she's such fun.

Since we had the goat last time, we tried the pig, and it was amazing. And even better for me, my wife didn't so much appreciate the crackling, so I got most of that -- bliss! The fish sounds and looks amazing too, so: next time!

Both Kat and the waiter (whose name I feel bad about not catching) genuinely seemed to remember us, tho we've been there only once before, pretty much exactly 1 year ago, which was sweet -- and our wonderful waiter took us back to meet the Chef afterward, which topped off a perfect evening.

Glad you liked the fish, Sari!

I also need to update my post of two weeks ago: On Komi's website, it now says that as of June 8th, they will only be serving the $125 degustazione, i.e., no more $90 menu. This is an important distinction, as the entry level for Komi is now going up to over $160 per person (including tax and tip, but without any wine). I believe this is now clearly the most expensive restaurant in the immediate area in terms of just walking through the door.

Other comparable bare-minimum, entry-level meals:

Inn at Little Washington: $168 (as low as $138 certain days of the week)

Vidalia 24: $150 including beverage pairing (much less in the main dining room)

Volt Table 21: $121 ($95 in the Chef's dining room, much less in the main dining room)

Sushi Taro Sushi Counter: $120 (less for the other menus)

Tasting Room at Eve: $110 (much less in the bistro and lounge)

Citronelle: $105 (much less in the lounge)

CityZen: $80 ($50 at the bar)

Charleston: $74

Palena: $58 (much less in the lounge)

There are others, of course, such as Corduroy, 2941, Inox, Adour, Plume, Marcel's, Oval Room, etc., but those menus don't exert any pressure towards ordering a multi-course meal.

Cheers,

Rocks

We ate at Komi for my birthday and it was worth every penny. We liked it so much that we are going back next month for my wife's birthday. For me it was about the whole experience. BTW, I love all of the aforementioned restaurants. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them (though am not sure about Vidalia since RJ Cooper left). Next up, Minibar.

We ate at Komi for my birthday and it was worth every penny. We liked it so much that we are going back next month for my wife's birthday. For me it was about the whole experience. BTW, I love all of the aforementioned restaurants. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them (though am not sure about Vidalia since RJ Cooper left). Next up, Minibar.

I have had dozens of tasting menus over the last couple of years, and the most memorable, most enjoyable, and most valuable was Komi.

I have had dozens of tasting menus over the last couple of years, and the most memorable, most enjoyable, and most valuable was Komi.

For sure. The only downer was that it was a little warm in the dinning room; however, it was a scorcher outside that day. The meal made everything bearable.

On the funny side....the urinal is made for giants. - 1 for short people like me.

I ate at Komi a few years ago, and want to go back. But now I am married and my wife is vegetarian. I cannot recall if they have anything veggie friendly on there weekday menu or do they accomodate them on there tasting menu. Any info from diners who went here recently or staff from the restaurant? Thanks in advance.

-M

ps i loved it when i went, the greek salad in a cruton was amazing.

I ate at Komi a few years ago, and want to go back. But now I am married and my wife is vegetarian. I cannot recall if they have anything veggie friendly on there weekday menu or do they accomodate them on there tasting menu. Any info from diners who went here recently or staff from the restaurant? Thanks in advance.

-M

They only serve one menu now. You could call and ask about vegetarian possibilities.

http://komirestaurant.com/

-M

They are more than accomodating - just mention it when making your reservations. I went one time with 2 vegetarians, and one of the vegetarians was allergic to mushrooms.... and I remember for one of the early dishes, we got 3 different items - one with meat for me, a vegetarian/mushroom, and a non-mushroom vegetarian dish. As mentioned, they also do very well w/ any food allergies with some advance warning.

They did great with my wife's request for no pork last night, as her dish of squash salad with fried potatoes might have been better than the half smoke I got.

Pretty much everything we had has been discussed in this thread already, so I won't wax, but this is in my mind the best dining experience in DC right now. What an incredible meal.

I was lucky enough to return to my favorite window seat tonight to celebrate a special occasion. This was my first time dining at Komi since the change to all degustazione. While I loved every bite, I prefer the previous 4 course menu because we were already so stuffed by the time our entrees were served that we barely put a dent in them! We ended up taking most of it home. It would be nice if there was still an option for folks with less hearty appetites. Service was impeccable as always- it's always a pleasure to find servers who are both knowledgeable and friendly. The service was professional but never stuffy or overly-formal.

Onto the food...I love mezze as a start to a meal. Being able to experience little bites of different flavors, textures and presentations, is a great warm-up for some of the heartier pastas and meats to follow. Tonight was my first time tasting Komi's version of a half smoke, which they cleverly paired with a Lagunitas Pale Ale. The ramp relish and heady mustard were a perfect contrast to this glorified hot dog. I found the portion to be a bit too large though- I think a two-bite serving would be perfect. The salmon ceviche with shiso sorbet and pinenuts is still one of my favorites. I usually don't like the strong taste of shiso with sushi because I find it overpowers the fish. But in sorbet form, it's lighter and sweeter, a perfect complement to raw fish. My last trip to Komi I found the sea urchin pasta a bit salty but today's tasting portion was well balanced and the uni so fresh, savory and creamy- like foie from the sea! The next pasta course, Hubbard squash agnolotti just melts in your mouth. The housemade sausage bits in the agnolotti were unnecessary. The pasta itself was so light and ethereal that it did not need a meat component.

We shared three entrees, the salt-encrusted fish which was tender and flavorful as always, the goat, and a berkshire pork belly. This was our first time having the pork belly and it was amazing, I especially enjoyed the spicy chicharones it came with. The pork belly was perfectly cooked and I thought I tasted some 5 spice but forgot to ask our server. Desserts tonight were also fantastic- the greek donuts loved by all now come with a chocolate tahini sauce underneath. The sesame really lightens the chocolate, making it a better match with the fried donuts. I also enjoyed the sweet arancini. It's more like fried rice pudding than the traditional arancini served in Italian restaurants. I can't eat another bite so I'm saving my red-hot flavored lollipop for tomorrow. Thanks to everyone at Komi for another memorable evening.

Can I ask how many people were in your party? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to obtain multiple entrees.

There were four in our party. Mom wanted fish, Grandpa wanted pork, Dad wanted goat and I love them all so didn't care. Dad gave in but the waitress saw that he really wanted goat so they brought that out too. We were sending off my Grandpa who's returning to Taiwan so they knew it was a special occassion. They really go above and beyond there. We ate at Komi this spring so last night they said "we know you had fish and suckling pig last time so do you want to try something different?"

Its a life changing experience. Chef Johnny Monis makes me want to be a better man. They only do a tasting menu now which means you have absolutely no choice of the food you are going to eat. It might make you uncomfortable, but sometimes the best experiences are uncomfortable at first. We had approximately 15 courses, I cannot remember them all but each one knocks you on your ass and makes you say "holy damn, this is amazing." The first course was an amazing piece of hamachi sushi with sea salt, incredible. The fish melted in your mouth and you could taste each of the different ingredients laying on top of the fish. It makes you wonder why this guy doesn't start a sushi joint. I loved his take on a half smoked, it comes in this awesome bun with some spicy mustard and relish that was out of this world. I told the waitress that he should open up a food truck to sell this, she said she would pass along the message, fingers crossed people. Komi was actually listed in Bon Appetite magazine this month as having one of the best pasta dishes in the US. Unfortunately, we didn't have that dish but instead we had pasta with a lamb rague. I wanted to eat a giant bowl of it in front of the fire while watching football on a Sunday night. Te sauce was amazing. The main course was a goat leg that was seared, then braised and then seared again. I usually wouldn't sear it the second time but it makes sense since the meat will obviously lose some of that flavor in the braising liquid. I will do this next time I am braising cheap meat. I have a special adoration for turning a cheap piece of meat into something amazing and he did exactly just that with the leg of goat. They give you this amazing pita bread and 6 different accouterments to make your own goat leg pitas. The waitress asked if we wanted more pitas and I yelled "yes" so loud that I had to apologize later. She took off running! I think there were 3 or 4 desert courses, but the standouts for me were the greek donuts and the homemade sea salt lollipop that we finished in the cab on the way home. They have several bottles of reasonably prices vino ($40-50). We chose a viognier from Greece that is made specially for Komi. Who knew Greeks made viognier, I thought it was only a Virginia thing? They kept the bottle chilled in the back and kept our glasses filled all night. The service there is amazing, it feels like you are just hanging out in Johnny's living room and his girlfriends are just walking around giving you more food every time you finish a course. The wait list is 30 days and you have to call in a certain time each day to make reservations. Its not cheap, but I recommend that everyone go and have your life changed by this man. Save up for months if you have to, but this is a place in DC that you must go to. I pray for everyone that has never been to Komi.

The main course was a goat leg that was seared, then braised and then seared again. I

Is this conjecture or instructions provided by the chef? I've always wondered how they made the goat. And what was the pasta you wanted to try? I really wanted to try their uni pasta but I've been denied twice. Next time I'll just have to ask for it.

Is this conjecture or instructions provided by the chef? I've always wondered how they made the goat. And what was the pasta you wanted to try? I really wanted to try their uni pasta but I've been denied twice. Next time I'll just have to ask for it.

The uni pasta dish I had at Komi some 3 years ago is still the greatest course I have ever been served. If I remember correctly, it consisted of homemade tagliatelle, uni, and not much else. Something this simple is incredibly hard to execute, and it was a transcendant dish.