Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

17 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Per the email sent out today:

"The past few years have been a wild ride, and we’ve shape-shifted into a new identity. Are we a wine shop with a pizza problem? A pizza joint with an ice cream problem? We are all of those things (and more) so we’re embracing our split personality — with Happy Ice Cream right here under the same roof. 

When we launched Happy Gyro into the world back in 2019, it was an all-vegetarian gyro pop-up. These days, we’ve evolved into something else all together. We’re not vegetarian. We don’t even serve gyros. 

Now we’re your super casual, one-stop-shopping destination for natural wine bottles, pizza and ice cream — plus whatever else we feel like making on any given day. Right now, the dinner menu is all about Johnny’s naturally-leavened pizza — including *whole* Roman pies! — and cozy Greco-Roman soul food. (Brace yourselves: there will be whole 16” NY-style round pies here and there, too.)

During the day, the shop is open for bottles of wine and ice cream pints. After 5:30 PM, we do dinner, mostly for carry-out — but now we have a *tiny* standing area in the shop, and a slightly less tiny patio when the weather is nice. Nothing fancy or full-service. Paper plates and sexy stemware. (And we still scoop outside from the cart Tue-Fri evenings and all day Saturday.)

Come visit us at the shop Tue-Sat 12:30-8:30 PM. Walk-ins welcome for ice cream and wine. Ordering ahead for dinner is still the best move. Did we mention that our wine is always priced retail, whether you’re drinking here or taking home?! Best deal in the city, if you ask us."

Man I miss Komi. I do love that they reference/ remember Happy Cleaners, which was a neighborhood stalwart back in the day. No longer a block away, but the NY style pies have me very intrigued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

I completely forgot about Happy Cleaners so didn't get the reference until you mentioned it. Yes, that's awesome.

They were my cleaners for years. In the early Komi days would drop off laundry then head up the steps for brunch.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:23 AM, Keithstg said:

Man I miss Komi. I do love that they reference/ remember Happy Cleaners, which was a neighborhood stalwart back in the day. No longer a block away, but the NY style pies have me very intrigued.

I had no idea about Happy Cleaners until just now. Thank you for this!

The NY-style pies will get me across the bridge from Virginia, and I’m glad they returned the Freak-a-Burger also.

That said, the Chicken Parm is easily the best I’ve ever had - it’s a must-try. Even if it cools to room temperature, it’s a marvel - don’t mess it up by keeping it overnight and/or microwaving it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tweaked said:

The Pumpkin Cheesecake with Chocolate Graham Crumble...super good. 

The fava bean and eggplant dips now on the menu are wonderful ... and the french fries you can order to eat while you wait are the best fries you'll ever have had.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DPop said:

Any idea when the NY style pizzas will be back?  Those were the best pizzas in town during the pandemic.  The Grandpa slices are good for sure, but they are not at the same level.

I agree. 

i think they had a “one-day-only” special the day after Thanksgiving, but I have no other information about what were undoubtedly the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. And I mean that if I was asked to rattle off the ten best pizzas I’ve ever had in my life, all ten would be the Happy Gyro NY-style pies. I miss them terribly.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, DonRocks said:

I agree. 

i think they had a “one-day-only” special the day after Thanksgiving, but I have no other information about what were undoubtedly the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. And I mean that if I was asked to rattle off the ten best pizzas I’ve ever had in my life, all ten would be the Happy Gyro NY-style pies. I miss them terribly.

In hide sight I should have made the drive. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, DonRocks said:

I miss them terribly.

That should be the name of the restaurant that occupies this building.

Komi - I miss them terribly

Happy Gyro - I miss them terribly

Little Serow - I miss them terribly

I'm not even sure what they are now, but with no dine in option, it's not really an option for me.  I've done take out from them, but by the time I get home, the food is cold.  Such a shame at what we had and now have been denied.

• Like 2