Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

My wife and I made our first visit last night, and we loved it. I do not think there is a better deal in the DC metro area for the amount and the quality of food you get at this place! We did the tasting menu and here were the highlights.

Processco

House cured olives- My wife loves olives, I am not a fan, but these were good.

Warm Figs with mascarpone cheese-

Crostini- Salted Cod, Prosciutto, and white beets-

Fried Cheese with Onions-

Homemade Crackers

Cauliflower Pana Cotta with quail eggs- Very creative, I was not expecting the egg to be in the center

Mozzarella with bread crumb and Anchovy

I had the ricotta ravioli with truffles for my pasta course and the wife had the baby goat papperdella. Both were very good the goat dish had a hint of cinnamon, and the sauce for the ravioli was excellent.

For the main we shared the suckling pig, with polenta, Brussels sprouts, and bacon

Desserts was Doughnuts, Chocolate crostatta, and lemon gelato

This was a great meal , that I am still thinking about today. I have been reading about this place for months and I have been kind of blowing it off while we were trying other places in the metro are. What a fool I have been! I am not sure what the place looked like prior to the recent renovation, however the space is real cozy and warm, with candles on the walls. I found the service to be excellent! I dare anyone to find a better deal in DC. We will be returning very soon!

i have to say, i am somewhat disappointed that Komi went with white tablecloths....

i always liked the fact that you could get such great food in a less formal environment, and i do think white tablecloths make a place look more formal regardless of everything else.

nonetheless. looking forward to my next meal there.

i have to say, i am somewhat disappointed that Komi went with white tablecloths....

i always liked the fact that you could get such great food in a less formal environment, and i do think white tablecloths make a place look more formal regardless of everything else.

nonetheless. looking forward to my next meal there.

We ate there last week ( I think the day after they re-opened) and i felt the same way about the tablecloths. It does seem more formal now, and it seems as if they have actually removed tables from the dining room....

Our meal was excellent though and we had very good service as well. I had the wood roasted pigeon w/ some sort of cured pork (guanicale?) and mushrooms. One of the best dishes I have had in DC for some time. For the price point the place can not be beat...

I wish there were more places like this in DC. A food-focused restaurant w/o any pretensions. They are all over Philadelphia in the form of BYOB's yet the concept has not really caught on here. Why is this? I am sure finances have a lot to do with it, as rents and taxes are most likely lower in Philadelphia than here...but this is another topic all together...Go to Komi, you won't be dissapointed...

Thanks. I figured that was the case, but was hoping otherwise (I want to introduce my mother to the wonder that is Komi, but she would gripe about the lack of vodka martinis throughout, ruining the experience). I wonder if this has to do with personal preference/the menu/etc. or the neighborhood's liquor license situation.

Thanks.  I figured that was the case, but was hoping otherwise (I want to introduce my mother to the wonder that is Komi, but she would gripe about the lack of vodka martinis throughout, ruining the experience).  I wonder if this has to do with personal preference/the menu/etc. or the neighborhood's liquor license situation.

That's easy. Get really cheap vodka martinis at Fox & Hounds before dinner, then go to Komi.

Longtime fan and lurker of this board. I've had two great meals this week that have given me the courage (you people are intimidating!) to submit my first posts.

Komi is an absolute delight. I had been before the renovations and I'm happy to report that they did not mess with the successful "less is more" formula. New floors, warm yellow walls, lots of candles. Cozy and romantic.

When the hubby called and made the reservation, he told the hostess that we were celebrating Valentine's Day early. Thus, they brought us each a complimentary glass of Prosecco to start. Nice touch.

The food was great. We had the 5-course tasting menu and were not disappointed. When you get the tasting menu, they bring you a tasting of all the first courses and then a pasta, main, cheese and dessert course.

Loved the olives and mascarpone stuffed dates. Other starters included crostini with tsatsiki (sp?) and prosciutto, a fresh mozzerella that was almost oozey, and a cauliflower and taleggio flan. Oh, also these breaded goat cheese mousse balls with cippoline. All delicious.

For the pasta (or macaronia) course, I had the papardelle with goat ragu and hubby had the tagliatelle with truffles ($7 upcharge). The goat was meltingly tender, but the most suprising element of this dish was cinnamon. Who woulda thunk it? It was such an unexpected flavor, yet it made the dish.

Our main was the bronzini for two. Baked in a salt crust and spritzed with lemon and olive oil, and served with an herb salad. Simple and oh so refreshing.

The tiniest cheese course known to man was next. Good thing, because we were getting full. Two bites of three cheeses - a sharp sheep's milk, a soft goat/sheep selection and a blue. I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but the hubby said it was good. The other two cheeses were indeed sharp.

Dessert for me was the meyer lemon gelato with a fennel cookie. The cookie was just odd. The flavors/texture didn't work for me. But the gelato was perfect (sweet, not tart). Hubby had the greek doughnuts ith chocolate mousse. What a fantastic dessert!

Service couldn't have been more gracious. My only complaint is that we were there for a LONG time -- there were lengthy stretches between each course. I'm all for a leisurely pace, but three and a half hours is definitely stretching it for me (we had a 7:00 reservation and left at 10:30).

I would tell you about the wine, but I wasn't really paying attention. It was good, though!

I have to agree with most everyone in this thread that Komi's tasting menu is a fantastic deal. The food is delicious and the service is polished. Worth the trip from the burbs or elsewhere.

Do we really need another post gushing about the incredible food and wonderful service at Komi? Yes!

After the wonderful starters mentioned above, with the addition of an amuse of sea urchin with lemon and olive oil, I had the tagliatelle with bay scallops and truffles. Simply put, one of the best pasta dishes in the city. The bites of the ricotta ravioli were very good too. I believe there were porcinis and a bit of truffles in that dish as well.

For our main we decided on the roast suckling pig for two. Falling off the bone, the smoky meat just about melts in your mouth. My one complaint was that it disappeared from the plate way too quickly! :lol: I wish I remembered the other mains that were on the menu, but the only one that comes to mind is the wood grilled pigeon.

Then it was a plate of some cheeses, names of which I do not remember, and the desserts were the chocolate tart and the doughnuts. After our coffee were were back into the snow, fed and very happy.

Call now, make a reservation, and hope that the little piggy is on the menu.

Lackadaisi and I were at Komi this past Friday night - taking Lackadaisi's father and step-mother out for the tasting dinner. We had a bit of an unbalanced meal: the appetizer, cheese, and dessert courses were simply amazing, but the macaroni and meat/fish courses were not up to the same level.

We decided on the tasting dinner for the table and were greeted with a spectacular array of appetizer dishes to share - a six course tasting dinner right there in the middle of the first course! The marscapone-filled dates were sweet and creamy with a nice hint of salt and olive oil, the brushetta lovely, and the fresh mozzarella was superb! With a nice bottle of wine, we were pretty fat and happy at the end of our first course - eagerly anticipating what was to come next.

I ordered the risotto for my macaroni and was quite pleased with the perfectly cooked pasta, and delicious scallop bites - but the rest of our group ordered the strezzapriti (sp? sorry...) long hand-rolled pasta tubes filled with cheese and topped with black truffle shavings and were not as pleased. Although "good" it was not great and everyone fought over another bite of my risotto.... The pasta was just a bit too doughy and even the black truffle coudn't make up for it.

Lackadaisi and I ordered the suckling pig for two and our dining companions the bronzini for two.

Overall, we thought that the pig was a bit dry (especially the rib portions) and not that special. Although we could see the great potential for this dish, we were not treated to the "fall of the bone - melt in your mouth" experience we had read so much about. (Oh - but the brussel sprouts and polenta base were great!)

The fish arrived and looked wonderful - but again, "dry" was the word most often used to describe the dish.

A bit disappointed, we headed into the cheese course and our moods were "set straight" with a nice variety of strong cheeses and delicious house-made bread.

The dessert course was right behind it - most of the table getting the Myer Lemon gelato and fennel cookie and myself ordering the greek-style donuts and chocolate mousse (I can't say no to both "doughnuts" AND "chocolate" in the same dish!) Very attractive plating and excellent desserts all around!

All in all, we had a great time, great service, great wine, and the food at the beginning and the end of our meal was truly noteworthy. Not sure what happened during the middle courses. Were we there on an "off" night?

Jeff (Jlock)

The strozzapreti with truffles worked for me. :lol: In fact, I’m still thinking of it days later. The truffle was finely grated, rather than shaved in strips, which meant tiny bits of truffle magic infused each bite of pasta.

I’m also dreaming of the papardelle with ragu and the ravioli and all of the mezze, especially the cauliflower panna cotta with taleggio cheese…..

I’m also dreaming of the papardelle with ragu and the ravioli and all of the  mezze, especially the cauliflower panna cotta with taleggio cheese…..

I found all the mezze amazing, but the cauliflower panna cotta was my least favorite...I just think I couldn't get past the texture. For me, it's a week after my meal and I'm still dreaming of the dates stuffed with marsapone! I'm really a sucker for a good date dish, whether it's this at Komi or the date croquettes at Jaleo.

I hope you stopped eating yesterday :lol:

1) Don't know

2) Anna has taken over his job and is doing an amazing job. She put up with my mother and our rescheduling nightmares and was as gracious and wonderful as Sebastian would have been.

c) It wasn't there last week. There are others that more than make up for it's disappearance.

I had the tasting menu there last Friday with my parents. It was at the end of a long, crappy, disappointing week. My karma was off all week and I was afraid that it would follow me to Komi. Instead, Komi brought it back on track with an amazing evening.

We were there for over three hours. Every morsel we tasted was perfect. We started with the dates, of course. My mother complained that she wanted more at the end of the meal because it would make a perfect dessert. I pointed out that Johnny, in all his brilliance, had given her dessert first. After that she was in love.

Some of the courses that still stand out a week later are all of the cured meats, presented in two different dishes: on a bruschetta and the other by itself. The first was paired with tzatziki made with golden beets highlighted with truffle oil.

The cauliflower panna cotta (sp?) now had a quail egg inside. I love cauliflower and this was perfect. I am not a skilled enough writer to do this dish justice. I have been craving it every since.

Deep-fried cheese balls will block my arteries in 20 years and it was worth every clog. It was made with a variety of cheeses including halumi and ricotta (I think).

I had the papadelle but got to taste the ravioli. I was happier with my choice but I am not a big ravioli fan. My father, much to my embarrassment, licked his plate clean.

For mains we had the bronzini and lamb. The bronzini was a perfect choice. At this point we were not sure if there was actually room for more food, but somehow we trudged through. The fish was light with a hint of lemon. It came with a salad that was perfect. I was craving fresh veggies and this was the refresher my palate needed before dessert.

Dessert. We had all four. At this point my food coma had begun and I only had a bite of each. I miss the hot chocolate but the mascarpone mousse is divine. I ate a lot of the Myer lemon gelato because my stomach and I needed something light. My parents managed to finish all four, and once again the plates were licked clean.

The staff at Komi, full of familiar faces, is elegant, professional and understand the art that their job requires. They helped make the night as wonderful as it was. Saying thank you doesn't seem enough, but I can't find any others. Thank you.

Someone I know, who happened to be dining at Komi last Friday as well, summed up the tasting menu experience perfectly: you want to go back the next night but don't so it will remain special.

(I have too much time on my hands right now, as they haven't found me enough work at my new job.)

I have nothing original to add to all the praise of Komi, so instead I present our evening as the Komi Alphabet:

anchovies, white, house cured

burrata-- where can I buy this?

coppa

doughnuts with chocolate mascarpone

epoisses, so stinky and good

farro, who knew it went so well with pomegranate molasses?

goat, milk-braised with tagliatelle

house cured meats, more, including braesola

incredible parade of starters... probably the best part for me

johnny monis is one of the 25 "beautiful people" in the new Washingtonian

kir-yianni samropetra, paired with the goat pasta

lollipop, sour orange

mascarpone stuffed dates, so simple and good

nebbiolo, an odd pairing with white tuna (didn't work)

olives, house cured, they tasted more like olive oil instead of brine-- delicious

puntarelle, served with the buratta... never had this vegetable before

quail egg in taleggio panna cotta-- I had mixed feelings about this one

ricotta ravioli with truffles and chanterelles

speck

tzatziki, truffled on crostini

unbelievable other cheeses that I forgot the name of

val d'oca prosecco, as a generous birthday toast

women: why are all the servers female? I jokingly told them I was going to file a Hooter's style lawsuit

x-tra wine pours (they're generous with the pairing option)

y do I not come here more often instead of going to less deserving places?

zzzzzzzz... the tasting/pairing is a lot of food and wine

Edited by cjsadler

Ok, my mouth is watering now. I have yet to try Komi, but I have a potential perfect opportunity coming up.

My mother-in-law is turning 60, so we are taking her to dinner. The plan right now is to go to our old but reliable standby of Corduroy, which I am sure would be fabulous as always. But would Komi be more exciting?

We thought about Maestro but decided we didnt want to spend that much money.

Would love to hear other's opinions - mom is not too picky so really anything goes. I am the only one with the food issues (vegetarian) but all these places are accomodating for me.

What say you guys?

(I have too much time on my hands right now, as they haven't found me enough work at my new job.)

I have nothing original to add to all the praise of Komi, so instead I present our evening as the Komi Alphabet:

anchovies, white, house cured

burrata-- where can I buy this?

coppa

doughnuts with chocolate mascarpone

epoisses, so stinky and good

farro, who knew it went so well with pomegranate molasses?

goat, milk-braised with tagliatelle

house cured meats, more, including braesola       

incredible parade of starters... probably the best part for me

johnny monis is one of the 25 "beautiful people" in the new Washingtonian

kir-yanni samropetra, paired with the goat pasta

lollipop, sour orange

mascarpone stuffed dates, so simple and good

nebbiolo, an odd pairing with white tuna (didn't work)

olives, house made, they tasted more like olive oil instead of brine-- delicious

puntarelle, served with the buratta... never had this vegetable before

quail egg in taleggio panna cotta-- I had mixed feelings about this one

ricotta ravioli with truffles and chanterelles

speck

tzatziki, truffled on crostini

unbelievable other cheeses that I forgot the name of

val d'oca prosecco, as a generous birthday toast

women: why are all the servers female?  I jokingly told them I was going to file a Hooter's style lawsuit)

x-tra wine pours (they're generous with the pairing option)

y do I not come here more often instead of going to less deserving places?

zzzzzzzz... the tasting/pairing is a lot of food and wine

Congratulations Chris. This might be the best post I've seen in three years (to the day) of being on eGullet or Don Rockwell.com.

For a delicious taste of spring, go to Komi and order the Tagliatelle with Prosciutto, Fava, and Radish. A butter sauce, fragrant with garlic, barely coats the long narrow silky noodles, the perfect sauce-to-pasta ratio. One bite of these noodles with the house-made prosciutto, tender first-of-the-season fava beans and crisp radish, and winter fades away.

For a delicious taste of spring, go to Komi and order the Tagliatelle with Prosciutto, Fava, and Radish. A butter sauce, fragrant with garlic, barely coats the long narrow silky noodles, the perfect sauce-to-pasta ratio. One bite of these noodles with the house-made prosciutto, tender first-of-the-season fava beans and crisp radish, and winter fades away.

Just to clarify, the proscuitto is actually one of the few meats that we don't cure in-house.

But we're still glad you liked it so much... Bring on Spring!

Carolyn from Komi

Another incredible meal at Komi last Friday night. I have raved before, but just wanted to re-state that if you have not been you really need to make a reservation.

The whole fish baked in salt (for two) was delicious. After presentation of the fish at the table we were asked if we preferred to have them filet it, we did. They portioned up the fish on two dishes and presented some extra meat and head on a separate plate so that we would not miss any of the incredible morsels.

For dessert I had a saffron pound cake with meyer lemon gelato. The cake was had too much saffron to eat alone, but paired with the ice cream, wonderful.

How can Chef Johnny Monis not be a shoe-in to win the 2006 RAMMY for rising culinary star?

Went to Komi last night with a couple friends and had the tasting menu for the first time. whatever I type here can not do justice to how good the food and the experience was. I don't remember if this has actually been described - but it's a 5-course tasting menu and the condition is that the whole table has to do it. Each person gets to pick a pasta, main course, and dessert off the menu. In addition, they bring a sampling of the appetizers, and a cheese course.

The amuse of the green olives and the dates with marscapone/sea salt/olive oil as delicious as ever.

I think they must have brought us every appetizer on the menu, I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the details:

Baby mozzarella w/ bread crumbs and anchovies

Octopus w/ blood oranges and celery root

Two types of crostini (one with salted cod, another with yogurt?) served with the house-cured Mortadella

Breaded cheese balls

Lightly fried sardines

The housemade crackers followed (paprika, sesame, and something)

I had the pappardelle w/ goat ragu; friends had the ravioli and the anglotti (?). Better if I describe the last one - pinched pasta stuffed with veal, I think a sausage, and mushroom. After each bite, we were passing our plates around so we could all sample. We were so amazed we couldn't pick a favorite because each was so good but in different ways. The pappardelle was the lightest of the three.... pasta had just the right firmness. As mentioned, the cinnamon did give the dish a very interesting taste.

I had the white tuna with speck, which came with spinach/pine nuts/currants. Friends had the grilled lamb with lentils and the rabbit. I think we decided the rabbit was good, but not up to the quality of the tuna or the lamb. It was decided that my side of spinach/pine nuts/currants was the winner (but no one ever really loses here!).

The mains that we did not get were the bronzini for 2 and the roast suckling pig for 2. We needed to recruit that 4th person for our table.

Cheese dish followed with more of the excellent bread. Did you know they even bake their own bread here?! An option on the tasting menu is to get a couple more cheeses (5 cheeses instead of 3 for a $5 surcharge; but we decided we didn't need more food!).

Desserts - I got the donuts.... also at the table were the sorbet (tangerine, yogurt, and something) and the saffron pound cake with meyer lemon gelato. I particularly liked the tangerine sorbet. I also miss the hot chocolate, but the mousse was excellent.

Lemon lollipops to go. The other thing is the excellent service here - attentive without being intrusive. Willing to talk with us about the food and answer whatever questions we had (I think they were also entertained by our plate passing... they kept asking if we wanted small dishes to facilitate the sharing).

I really am hard-pressed to think of a place in DC I like better than this right now, especially because I live in the neighborhood. As my friend said, if they had a bar, she'd be here all the time drinking wine and munching on the dates and the other mezze.

I had the white tuna with speck, which came with spinach/pine nuts/currants.  Friends had the grilled lamb with lentils and the rabbit.  I think we decided the rabbit  was good, but not up to the quality of the tuna or the lamb.  It was decided that my side of spinach/pine nuts/currants was the winner (but no one ever really loses here!).

Ooh, I see the old faithful tuna gets a makeover of a new side dish? Doesn't it usually come with farro? Although I adore the spinach/pine nuts mix, I think Cafe Atlantico does it as small plates and side dishes as well. Very Mediterranean. And I'm ecstatic that the lamb is back on the menu. This is sentimental for me - the VERY FIRST time I ate at Komi many moons ago, I had lamb with lentils and cherry glaze for my main, and these memories still cut a wide swath through the collection of dining stories amassed since then. Must go soon.

Oh, and you really do have to get suckling pig next time you go. It's a teleporting experience.

Ooh, I see the old faithful tuna gets a makeover of a new side dish? Doesn't it usually come with farro?

I was there this past Saturday (for their fixed, 5-course menu) and they are serving the white tuna with farro again.

I had the rabbit this time and I would have to agree with rbh in that it was not up to the same levels as the other entrees, but still very good nonetheless.

I have to say that everytime I go to Komi, it's a completely mind-blowing experience for me. I went for the first time in 2004 (for a first date with my, now, fiance) and it's been really interesting to see (eat?) the chef's progression over the years. Chef Monis continually makes things I absolutely hate to eat into delectable, amazing dishes.

My fiance and I went this past weekend with a proper foodie from France by way of London and even she was impressed. She also made the comment that we should eat there while we can, before the place gets even more well-known and we won't be able to get a table anymore.

Chef Monis' imagination and creativity is well beyond his chronological age.

I would also agree that the rabbit doesn't quite live up to the rest of the entrees. There's something about the texture of the rabbit that I didn't quite like.

The last time I was at Komi, Johnny had a goat shoulder on the menu...cooked very much the same as the suckling pig, but with not quite the same boldness of flavor. I came with roasted artichokes and fingerling potatoes (Honestly, I'm not quite so sure about the fingerlings, so don't hold me to that. One too many glasses of Dolcetto and Rosso.) It was quite excellent. Where the suckling pig comes at you with a frontal attack that breaks your nose, the goat sneaks up on you from behind and suddenly your head is hanging off the curb out on 17th and you're wondering what happened.

I was also very happy with our pasta courses - a pappardelle with favas and radish and an agnolotti stuffed with veal and pork (sorry, fuzzy memory again...) I was especially fond of the pappardelle which had a bit of a kick to it due to the crushed red pepper that it contained. Once again, this had a subtle start and then suddenly you were looking for your glass of water.

I had braised goat shoulder a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was gamy but not overpowering, tender, flavorful and everything a big fat chunk of braised meat ought to be. If you don't like goat, you probably won't like this one, but to me it was wonderful both that evening and the morning after.

FWIW, here's DC magazine's review of Komi.

Suckling pig DOES NOT JUSTIFY its reputation??

DOES NOT JUSTIFY ITS REPUTATION??

I agree with most of the review, obviously, but this is annoying.

And if Komi is "just blocks away from the White House," then by way of the same exaggeration I'm an Olympic caliber skater.

Although am happy darling Anna got some recognition.

I don't know if I've ever had a dining experience more like a sporting event than the tasting menu at Komi. Just when you've caught your breath after entering and sitting, the food starts flying. Fried cheese balls here ... Cured meats there ... What? You ordered the wine pairing? Bottomless glass of prosecco, coming straight atcha! Feint right, lunge left, consume oysters. Drat, outflanked by the cuttlefish! Take evasive action, prepare to launch mascarpone-stuffed dates ... NOW.

I think ten things were served to us as the "first course." We sort of lost track, what with having to change clothes several times and run out back for dousings of Gatorade.

Then we settled into what I imagine miles 5 through 20 of a marathon must feel like. Steady, steady, keep pace. Eat your pasta, you need the carbs. Savor your meat, more slowly but maintaining momentum. Stay hydrated. (Why am I continuing to eat these house-made crackers as though they were conveyed by motorized belt directly into my mouth? How can I ever finish?) Cheese? This must be mile 25. Never forget your goal: the euphoria of the finish line. A broken tape? No -- doughnuts!

Like an epic sporting event, it isn't something I'm prepared to do often. (I should add these two very important facts: (i) my wife has a tiny appetite, and (ii) I cannot bear to leave any food uneaten on any plate within the reach of my arms, as aided by my feet.) But, wow, I'll take this over the Boston marathon any day.

Suckling pig DOES NOT JUSTIFY its reputation??

DOES NOT JUSTIFY ITS REPUTATION??

And if Komi is "just blocks away from the White House," then by way of the same exaggeration I'm an Olympic caliber skater.

Although am happy darling Anna got some recognition.

I have only been to Komi once, and the pig was ok not great. I agree with this review on that point. I loved everything else about the place.

How about this -

self absorbed foodies who spend so much of their workdays on Internet chat groups reliving last night's dinner and salivating over tonight's possibilites.

Who's he calling self absorbed?

How about this -

Salivating over tonight's possibilities is half of the fun granted by possibilities. So yeah, self-absorb away, darlings! And a food reviewer snubbing food forums, well, that just smacks of envy toward those who don't need an editor and a job description to do what he does anyway (and occasionally with much more flair and wit.)

How about this -

Salivating over tonight's possibilities is half of the fun granted by possibilities. So yeah, self-absorb away, darlings! And a food reviewer snubbing food forums, well, that just smacks of envy toward those who don't need an editor and a job description to do what he does anyway (and occasionally with much more flair and wit.)

Folks, please! I count myself among the "self-absorbed foodies" I wrote about in my review of Komi. My personal role model is Winnie the Pooh, following his stomach because it knows the way ... So I'm poking fun at myself, too. Calm down, have something to eat. You'll feel better.

Okay, enough said. You've taken my mind off lunch! :)

Dave McIntyre

(Edited to delete self-important bloviation.)