Gemini and Happy Ice Cream (formerly Happy Gyro, formerly Komi), 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont

The best part of my culinary journey has been finding out that I like new things - ingredients, combinations, flavors, etc. My dining partners are probably sick of my gushing about how some <fabulous/inventive/ attractive> chef has shown me the wonder of xyz, when, "I didn't even like it before!" That's how I feel about the roasted, marscapone-stuffed dates. Two ingredients I thought I'd disliked, brought together for a moment of revelation. The salty/sweet/crunchy/creamy tastes and textures pop in sharp relief in my mouth as I make a surprised and wondering face. This is exactly the type of experience that will continue to fuel my current food obsession for a good, long while...(and that was just the begnning of the meal!)

Had another great meal at Komi this weekend. Komi has some of the best pasta dishes in town! Name a another place in DC, where you get 11 courses with wine parings for a little over $100. This was our fourth visit to Komi, and we both agree that it is now our favorite place in DC. My wife thinks Komi is way better than the tasting room at Eve, which I have to agree with. I don't agree that a four star experience has to be white tablecloths, sommeliers, and a $500 check! If you have not been yet, get there quick for the pork gyros, meaty soft shell crabs, with cuttlefish and chickpeas, thinly slice raw scallops with grapefruit, and the watermelon salad with feta, Pick any pasta dish, and you will not go wrong. This was my first time trying the white tuna and it was quite good!

Overheard at Komi this weekend:

Middle age women to waitress: What do people say about the noise? The food was great, the service was great, however I will not be returning because of the noise. There must be something he can do about the noise.

I guess you can't please everyone :unsure:

I was there this weekend too (Friday). Loved the gyro (again) as well as the watermelon. Truffled eggs made a return to the menu, this time scrambled and served atop lightly toasted bread and accompanied by a dollop of caviar. Yum. Although the bouletas I enjoyed so much last trip were on the menu still, I opted to try the not-discussed-much spaghetti with guanciale. Loved it. The guanciale had a great smoky flavor and the pasta was perfectly al dente with a nice kick to it.

My boyfriend had the squid ink pasta with crab that was baked in parchment (interesting). He liked it a lot, however the dish he loves is the pappardelle with goat ragu and I know he regretted switching to another dish.

Forgive the question, but, if the answer is here, I've missed the answer upon re-perusing the thread. Is the tasting menu on the weekends only? I made a reservation to go there for our anniversary next month, and it's on a Tuesday. I didn't get a chance to ask the gentleman on the phone, and it's not urgent enough to make a call just for that. I think I'd prefer a la carte but whatever we get will be fine. Color me curious :unsure:

opted to try the not-discussed-much spaghetti with guanciale. Loved it. The guanciale had a great smoky flavor and the pasta was perfectly al dente with a nice kick to it.

That was the past dish I had. Very good stuff

Tasting menu available every day. Tasting menu only Friday and Saturday.
Thanks. I may change my mind, and I like the option of being able do the tasting menu. I'm really looking forward to this.

I am hoping to go here very soon. One of the folks in attendance is a vegetarian, do you all think this will pose a problem? Is it something we should call ahead about?

If we do the tasting menu like I think we'd all ideally like to try, can they make vegematic options for the one in our party, or will we just have to a la carte it?

TIA

I am hoping to go here very soon. One of the folks in attendance is a vegetarian, do you all think this will pose a problem? Is it something we should call ahead about?

If we do the tasting menu like I think we'd all ideally like to try, can they make vegematic options for the one in our party, or will we just have to a la carte it?

TIA

I would definitely call ahead and don't think that it will pose a problem. Depending on the level of vegetarianism they might be able to get away with ordering off the regular menu. Remember that if you go on a Friday or Saturday it is tasting menu only.

TIA

They accomodate vegetarians very nicely. My vegetarian husband and I had the tasting menu on a Saturday night at Komi a few months ago. I let them know when I made a reservation that he was vegetarian, and we advised our server when we sat down. When the flurry of mezze came out, he was always given a vegetarian option to my meat/fish/etc version. I recall there were vegetarian pasta options, and the meat/fish section doesn't include a veggie option but they do have one if you ask. I'd just let them know when you make the reservation.

Thanks for the tips. An early ressie has been made for next week on the weekend. Tasting menu is fine, and they can deal with my brother's vegematicness with no worries. We'll remind them when we arrive, too. And they allow BYOW, too for a $20 corkage so I get to bring some goodies from the cellar. Looking forward to it.

I'm looking to make my first visit the weekend after Labor Day. How far in advance are reservations taken?

I made a reservation for Friday, September 8 this afternoon. Looking forward to my first trip. They are closed Aug 26 or thereabouts until Sep 5 or so... don't recollect the exact dates but that is close.

My husband and I finally got to Komi last night. I wish we hadn't waited so long so get there!

I loved everything about the meal. We opted for a la carte instead of the tasting menu. The space is gorgeous. The service was helpful, knowledgable, and quite pleasant. It was a very comfortable experience, just right. The food was every bit as wonderful as everyone has said, from the amuse of warm dates stuffed with mascarpone and rolled in salt to the lollipops that came with the check.

I finally got to try the watermelon, feta, and arugula salad that I have been trying to imitate at home ever since Nadya described it last year. My prose skills are not adequate to replay the meal in the most vivid fashion, but that salad brings several different types of flavors together beautifully. When I make a version of this myself, I use baby arugula, but having the full peppery flavor of mature arugula enhances the contrast of the flavors even further. And the dressing is subtle. I can keep trying, but I'm not going to be able to duplicate this. I'll have to keep going back to Komi :)

When I saw the spaghetti with heirloom tomatoes as a first course, I knew I had to order it. In my childhood, the one restaurant we went to the most was an Italian place where we would get spaghetti, probably once a week. As I got older, I realized that it wasn't such a great restaurant, food-wise, but certain flavors and dishes I associate with it have stuck with me as restaurant comfort food. It's one of those primal, hard-to-explain things. I had to order the spaghetti at Komi, and it was just what I needed after a very stressful day. It was not the same dish from my childhood by a long shot, except in its essential spaghetti and tomatoness, but it was satisfying on many different levels.

I could have stopped there and probably should have, but I wanted to order the lamb and moussaka with the same urgency as I had for the spaghetti. I suppose I was envisoning lamb in moussaka, but instead I got four gorgeous, medium-rare lamb chops on top of a square of moussaka :lol: . The composition of the plate added to the depth of the flavors in some way. Maybe it was the surprise element (well, a surprise to me based on my assumptions). It was delicious, and I kept taking additional bites even after I was too full to eat another speck of food. It will make a lovely second meal tonight, along with the small amount of white tuna my husband couldn't finish from his meal.

My husband also had ordered the mezze (I swiped a cheese croquette/fritter from his plate) that he loved and linguine with clams, another perfect execution of a basic dish from the macaronia section of the menu. I got a few clams out of that :)

Despite our protestations that we were full, our server brought us small ice cream balls inside of chocolate wafers. She said they were "light." :) We ate them, so I guess she was right.

I'm now remembering that while the dish I mention above was called Linguine Vongole, I beleve the description included cockles. I'm not too expert on my shellfish, and I don't write things down :)

Apparently, he has also introduced "the now famous Salad Bar concept" to the Washington, DC area.

Squire Rockwell

When we lived in Southern Vermont in the early 70's, there was a steakhouse that ran an ad on the local AM radio station, highlighting their superiority to another local place by proudly stating: "No need to trudge to the salad bar!" So of course, in the subsequent 30 years, whenever we have encountered a salad bar, we complain about being forced to trudge to it.

When we lived in Southern Vermont in the early 70's, there was a steakhouse that ran an ad on the local AM radio station, highlighting their superiority to another local place by proudly stating: "No need to trudge to the salad bar!" So of course, in the subsequent 30 years, whenever we have encountered a salad bar, we complain about being forced to trudge to it.
Wow, that's funny. I like that. It reminds of the ads for Chef Boyardee pizza in which a family talks about how you can get the pizza with the toppings *you* like. I always wondered what pizza joint people ordered from where you had to accept the toppings they liked? I mean, sure, if you want corned beef hash on your pizza, you won't find it on most menus. But in general, my problem with pizza ordered for delivery isn't that I don't get the toppings I want.

Apparently, he has also introduced "the now famous Salad Bar concept" to the Washington, DC area.

Squire Rockwell

Well before 1981, my dad used to make himself a salad from the "Fixins Bar" at Roy Rogers. I swear they put up the "THIS IS NOT A SALAD BAR" sign because of him.

It was sooooooooo embarrassing ....

Not that this explains my dislike of rabbit food or anything.

Around this time, I commented that the portion sizes were smaller, making the tasting menu much more manageable (at least for me). +1 didn't think they were noticeably smaller so hopefully diners with heartier appetites won't be let down.

Some friends treated us to dinner at Komi last Friday. Excellence as usual, but the portions were definitely a bit smaller than the last time we were here. The amount of food served was totally reasonable, but next time I won't be starving myself during the day (I ended up eating alot of crackers at Komi). No refills on any of the wine pairings like last time either :) (There were definitely a few things I would have loved another taste of)

Has anyone been since they came back from vacation? What are the can't miss items? We are heading there tonight. Thanks.

Yes. The menu hasn't changed substantially. I had the pappardelle with goat and the pheasant. Whatever else you do, get the selection of mezzethalakia (or however the heck that's spelled). You won't be disappointed.

I was there on Tuesday w/ a couple friends. Tasting menu for the 3 of us. Usual great food and great service - I could gush, but others are more eloquent then me. But I did want to note the special care they took care of my vegetarian friends... even the one allergic to mushrooms. While one of the pasta dishes was already vegetarian, they offered to make two of the other dishes vegetarian. The main courses were assortments of prepared vegetables (snow peas, carrots, spinach w/ pine nuts, potatoes, mushrooms (for the friend who could have them) and polenta). Many of the appetizers are already vegetarian - so the three of us could get the same thing... about half were not, and I got the regular one, and they prepared separate dishes for them - some were minorly different like a different topping on the crostini... in others, while I got fried sardines, they got a califlower salad. My friends who are used to going out and getting a choice of one dish were very impressed with the flexibility of the place to accomodate them and then just the flat-out creativity of Chef Monis's cooking.

and the level of attentiveness the staff has is great - I made no mention of my friend's b-day when I made the reservation, and when we were brought out the first bottle of wine, there was one mention to let her taste it, it's her birthday... and at the end of the meal, her dessert comes with a candle. I know it seems like such a little thing, but I guess such things impress me. btw, the baklava-like gelato dessert and the sorbet are always winners.

Still the best meal and experience I've had in DC... not cheap, but worth every penny.

I <heart> Komi. We went back last night to celebrate a special occasion and just loved it. Definitely get the tasting menu. The series of firsts, as described above, are simply wonderful. I had the sea urchin risotto, and the lamb moussaka-- both were so excellent, although by the time the moussaka came I was getting a bit full. The cheese course was a buffalo mozzerella with a tiny tomato tart that were perfect together. Dessert-- also had the baklava gelato (husband had the mint chocolate panini): both were actually quite generous servings; I could have eating half of mine by the end. Didn't do wine pairings because it was a "school night," but would consider it next time.

(Question: as I am a total lightweight, I don't think I could make it through the dinner with all the wine. Do you think they would be willing to split one serving into two glasses for us to share? Is that a tacky request? Otherwise, one of us would order and we would drink out of the same glass?)

I also want to second everyone else's comments about how accomodating the chef is about dietary restrictions. My husband had the tuna without the speck and it was still wonderful. Also, from reading the descriptions of the firsts above, some of the dishes we had were made without pork (e.g. the mini gyro was done with mushrooms) and did not suffer one bit.

Definitely settle in for the long haul-- but isn't that the best way to dine? Our reservation was at 7:45 and we left at 10:30. Did I mention that I love this place?

Yeah, so I was horribly late to jump on the Komi bandwagon. Three of us did the tasting menu the first night they opened after vacation. Rather than re-hash what others have said, I'll comment on some of the dishes that we enjoyed the most:

- Beef carpaccio on fried Greek cheese - not nearly as heavy as it looked, and I definitely would not have minded eating a whole plate of these.

- Crostini with caviar mousse - also could've eaten several of these. Good texture contrast and the saltiness was not too overpowering.

- Braised pork shoulder in pita with tzatziki - any kind of pork shoulder sandwich is likely to be a winner, and the combination with yogurt was oddly refreshing.

- Orecchiette with sweetbreads, chanterelles, and a runny egg - I could eat this once a week. Great texture contrast, and I think that I should start putting a runny egg in any pasta dish.

Not counting my mom's cooking, this was easily the most satisfying meal I've had during my 28 years in the DC area. Definitely worth every penny, can't wait to return.

The DonRockwell.com empire continues to expand, this time in collaboration with WETA. As part of their new show Neighborhood Eats, WETA has created a new DC Dining site. A weekly feature of the site will be Lettres de Mon Moulin.

Neighborhood Eats airs next Thursday, November 16th, at 8 pm.

Any idea when the blog goes live? I tried to find out from weta.org, but did not see any date.