Restaurant Week - August 14th-20th, 2006

crackers

I have a dinner reservation at Bistro Bis for Monday night for 4 that I won't be able to make. Before I cancel it, is there anyone that wants it? Here are the details:

Bistro Bis

Monday, August 14, 2006

7:00 PM, 4 people

Please let me know.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am so bummed, this was the first year we had the funds to be able to go to a bunch but now i have to cancel them ALL! we just signed a new apartment lease (which i'm thrilled about) so our first month's rent and security deposit is due now (a major financial hit). :) so not only can't we do a bunch, for the first time in four years, we can't go to any!!

i'm reluctantly giving up my reservations for 2 people as follows:

Aug 16, Notti Bianche, 6pm (however it is secured on my credit card so i may have to just cancel)

Aug. 17, Rasika, 6:15

Aug. 18, Rasika, 6:15 (we weren't sure which day we could go)

Aug. 20, Colvin Run Tavern, 6:00

and, how does this usually work, you just go under my name or do i transfer through open table somehow?? PM me if interested.

knew people would jump on this, and should have done something an hour ago. An ounce of prevention is worth four deleted posts. Okay, hgolightly, your wrist has been slapped and you're now confined to breakfast at Tiffany's. Now let's please move on. (I'm leaving Stretch's post because it's funny, and porcupine's until I figure out what the hell she's referring to) :) Cheers, Rocks.]

FYI, Open Table told me that Zaytina was booked for the entire lunch session on Wednesday August 16. But I called and was offered noon or 11:30 reservations. So you may not want to rely purely on Open Table as you decide what is and is not available.

I have a dinner reservation at Bistro Bis for Monday night for 4 that I won't be able to make. Before I cancel it, is there anyone that wants it? Here are the details:

Bistro Bis

Monday, August 14, 2006

7:00 PM, 4 people

Please let me know.

We have reservations at 7:45. If you recognize Grover or StephenB or even me, come say hello.

We have reservations at 7:45. If you recognize Grover or StephenB or even me, come say hello.

I cancelled it last night to give them enough time to fill my spot.

I think I'd recognize you. When I first came here, I was originally going to choose the name "Escoffier", but it was taken :) . My second choice was going to be Careme, but then I thought I'd just go with "mhberk" (an equally as important name :lol: ).

We'll be at Mendocino Grille on Friday at 6:30 and Zola on Saturday at 6:00.

I have an 8:00 reservation at Corduroy on Thursday, 8/17 that I am unfortunately forced to give up... I've never posted on here before but if someone wants it, please feel free to message me or email me at d.nicoletti@gmail.com and let me know how to go about a transfer. Also, I would LOVE to get to kinkead's tomorrow night (8/15) if anyone is looking to get out of a reservation... hey, you never know. Thanks!

Just had a lovely restaurant week lunch at Ceiba. They had the choice of four or five apps (included the shrip ceiveche and the conch chowder) and any of the entrees, and four different deserts. Really nice sized portions of everything.

I just love Ceiba. It is one of my favorites in town. it really is.

I just went to Charlie Palmer Steak for RW Lunch.

I found the service very good, without being overbearing. There were four of us, and we were boring and had almost all the same thing, but all of us were happy and full.

I started with:

Chilled Piquillo Pepper and Local Tomato Gazpacho

rock shrimp ceviche

>>This was more of a smooth, not chunky Gazpacho, and it was a lovely start to the meal. One friend had the English pea soup, which she said was very good, though decadent with a big dollop of "truffle scented creme fraiche."

I then had:

Marinated Grilled Hanger Steak

soft yellow corn polenta, eggplant and roasted pepper caponata

>>Steak was cooked perfectly, Polenta was good, eggplant was fine, if a little boring. I do love their hanger steaks though. All four of us had it and were happy to finish all it.

Three of us had:

Dark Chocolate Terrine

candied hazelnut, hazelnut ice cream

>>>This was very good, not as good as the chocolate dessert that was on their other special 20.06 lunch they were doing earlier in the summer. It was still quite good.

The fourth person had the Almond cake and he was a little disappointed.

FYI< they say they are extending RW through next week, I am not sure if they will bring the other 20.06 lunch back after that, or if that was just for the summer.

All and all, a great choice for RW. FYI< full menu:http://www.charliepalmer.com/steak_dc/menu.php?i=199

Today I had lunch at Rasika. It was my first time there and I was very excited about trying some different Indian food. Unfortunately, they only had 3 apps, 4 entrees and 3 desserts on the RW menu. Everything was delicious but I was hoping to try something I had never had before and there just wasn't anything like that on the RW menu.

I started off with a chicken tikka appetizer, which was good; my bf had the spinach salad which was great and our friend had the seekh kebab which was also really good.

The options for the entree were chicken mahkni, lamb roganjosh, a salmon tikka or vegetable paneer. We had the chicken, lamb and salmon and everyone was happy.

For dessert I had a lychee sorbet that was sweeter than I expected (and I love anything with lychee) and my companions had the carrot dessert--that was great.

I want to go back and try some of the other things I saw on the menu but I wish there had been more options.

I introduced my girlfriend and two friends to Corduroy tonight, and Tom, Rissa, and Ferhat did everything they could to make me look good. Quite successfully, too; everyone complimented me on the restaurant pick afterwards.

Appetizers:

Northern neck corn soup (x2): This was smooth, creamy (but not too thick), and wonderfully flavored. I ordered it, but ended up having to trade with my girlfriend after she sampled it.

Local tomato salad: I didn't try this one, but it was beautiful, and my friend tore through it like it was the last food on earth.

Chilled Thai tomato chili soup: This was my girlfriend's pick, though I ended up eating most of it (see above). I enjoyed it; there was slightly less kick to it than I thought there would be, but the medium-to-thin consistency was right on target, the temperature refreshing, and the cherry tomato slices made for a nice presentation.

Entrees:

One diner ordered chicken (small and seemingly expertly roasted, it could be mistaken for a slightly oversized Cornish hen) with, I think, sauteed spinach and a small "tumbleweed" of crisped onion. I did not try it, but the person who ordered it picked the bird clean and could not stop talking about how good the sauce was.

Lamb: Served rare with goat cheese ravioli in some sort of broth. My friend left not a bite on his plate and said he loved it.

Melange of vegetables: An attractive plate comprised of mashed potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, coconut-lemongrass rice, carrots, squash, beans and possibly one or two more veggies.

Scallops: Three robust scallops served atop mounds of the creamiest mashed potatoes I have sampled in recent memory, ringed with what I believe were morel mushrooms and a brown, buttery sauce. This plate is rich to the point of indulgence, and has probably ruined me as to any other restaurant's scallops. It is worth every dollar of the upcharge.

Dessert:

The sabayon was not available, but Ferhat advised us to try the chocolate hazelnut "Kit Kat" dessert (and Rissa seconded his recommendation), so three-quarters of us ordered it. I tried a few bites, and though I'm usually ambivalent about chocolate, I thought this was an innovative, classy, and fun dish. I ordered the pistachio bread pudding, which is a medium-sized slice of pistachio-flavored bread soaked in vanilla sauce and served with a scoop of vanilla-bean flecked vanilla ice cream. Heart. The serving size was perfectly appropriate, but it was so good that I wanted to walk back to the kitchen and ask for more, please.

There was no downside to the meal. Thanks to everyone for kicking off Restaurant Week on a very high note. Enjoy your upcoming vacation.

I went to Bistro Bis last year for dinner during RW and was underwhelmed. Granted I know better than to judge a restaurant from RW, but it didn't make me want to rush back either. I always try and hit up a couple places during RW that I haven't been to, including a lunch with the work people (this year is a 10-top at TenPenh for lunch with the work people, and a dinner with my GF at a couple places if we end up being in town this weekend). I'm of the mind that if they can put out good food during RW then they definitely are somewhere I'll be back to. If the food isn't great (as it wasn't at Bistro Bis when I went last year, though the cheese course we had was very good) I wouldn't really nock the restaurant as many restaurants just aren't setup to handle RW well, but if I see something that shows promise I'll definitely come back.

On the one hand I feel like restaurants do the RW diners a disservice by limiting the menu alot. On the other hand, I feel like the restaurants do the RW diners a disservice if they can't handle making the entire menu at a lower price point up to the same standards as normal. It's definitely a balancing act that I understand (and that I hope other diners during RW understand) when dining out during RW.

The menu at Bistro Bis for RW last year didn't really wow me at all but it definitely felt like it was just because of the extra load from RW and so I'll more than likely end up coming back at some point or another. Just haven't made it yet :-)

The Bistro Bis Menu looks pretty sad! This is no way to win new customers.

http://www.bistrobis.com/bis_restaurant_week.asp

Last time I checked customers were "won" with the quality of the food not by the menu choices presented online, at a discount, for one week. Chez Panisse stood at the fore of American dining for years by offering a prix fixe with no choices at all. I know I am probably alone in this, but when did it become a requirement to offer the full menu for restaurant week, it's a deal, a very generous deal for restaurant guests to be offered a menu at such a bargain price.

I am fearful that the Don Pablo four courses for 10.99 will become de riguer in the coming years as people choose perceived value over true value. I'd rather go to Citronelle and pay 200.00 a head than go to Don Pablo's. Sure I'll cook at home more than go out to eat(it's cheaper/better) but that 200.00 once is worth much more than 16 meals @ 10.99.

I'd rather go to Citronelle and pay 200.00 a head than go to Don Pablo's.

I don't know, their sopapillas are pretty tasty. :)(Really.)

As for short RW menus, as long as the restaurants make the menus avaialble online (as Bis does), customoers shouldn't have any complaints, as long as they do their own due dilligence.

I recall a few years back that Equinox had a very limited menu with only two options for each course. But each course had an option that sounded very good to me, so I went, ate at the bar and had a great experience.

The lesson - If you like what you see - go. If not, don't.

On the one hand I feel like restaurants do the RW diners a disservice by limiting the menu alot. On the other hand, I feel like the restaurants do the RW diners a disservice if they can't handle making the entire menu at a lower price point up to the same standards as normal. It's definitely a balancing act that I understand (and that I hope other diners during RW understand) when dining out during RW.
On the third hand, explain food cost and macro-economics in this state fair circus analogy. Do any contributors own businesses or lemonade stands or bearded women?

Last time I checked customers were "won" with the quality of the food not by the menu choices presented online, at a discount, for one week. Chez Panisse stood at the fore of American dining for years by offering a prix fixe with no choices at all. I know I am probably alone in this, but when did it become a requirement to offer the full menu for restaurant week, it's a deal, a very generous deal for restaurant guests to be offered a menu at such a bargain price.

I am fearful that the Don Pablo four courses for 10.99 will become de riguer in the coming years as people choose perceived value over true value. I'd rather go to Citronelle and pay 200.00 a head than go to Don Pablo's. Sure I'll cook at home more than go out to eat(it's cheaper/better) but that 200.00 once is worth much more than 16 meals @ 10.99.

I don't think it should be a requirement, however it should be used as a tool to introduce new customers to your menu. If you are offering nothing that you would cook on a normal night, how can I get a taste for what the restaurant is really like? Why bother participating if the cost is too great to provide the full menu? I think a lot of restaurants are missing a great opportunity to expand their customer base during this week.

On the third hand, explain food cost and macro-economics in this state fair circus analogy. Do any contributors own businesses or lemonade stands or bearded women?

I do in fact own a restaurant. This is our third restaurant week. Last year we offered a limited menu for RW and it boosted our business about 5% over then normal at a cost to us in food cost of about 4 percentage points. Our average check per person went up by about 7%. Our gross profit went up about 1% and, given higher labor costs, RW was a drag on bottom line dollar performance.

The last two times we have offered full menu. Last time our food cost went up the same 4%. Our revenue went up 60%. Our labor went up $2000. Our average check went up by about 15%. The boost tot he bottom line was huge and we had a bump to our business that lasted 4 weeks or so.

This time, based on one night's performance, our average check is way up and the boost to our revenue is up over 50%. Given our booking for the rest of the week, it looks like t will be even better this time around. Plus having the full menu just means that we are prepping more of everything and not special dishes.

Last note: we still do have some ressies especially 8:30 and later except for Friday and Saturday when we have openings at 9:00 and later. We are also have some availability at 6:00 and earlier.

Just came back from RW at KAZ. they are offering miso soup, a green salad, a sushi sampler or vegetarian sampler, and a choice of three desserts on their lunch menu. We opted for a bento box of sushi and seaweed salad. Simply wonderful and less then the RW menu price (miso soup included).

I was there at the same time as Scott, and noticed the same issue. The daily bento box was $12 and change, and included the soup and salad. So for $8 more, I could get dessert included, and I guess a couple extra pieces of sushi. Not really a bargain.

I got the katsu-miso chicken and sushi bento. It has been years since I was at Kaz for lunch, but I will be back. A very fair amount of food for $12, and everything was great. Service was informed, friendly, and attentive, even though the place was packed.

I have always been a proponent of Restaurant Week (in fact scroll up a few posts to see one such instance). I've always accepted the limited menus, smaller portions and crowds as part of the deal.

I've also been a proponent of Colvin Run Tavern going so far as hosting a very successful office Christmas Party there a few years ago.

But my appetizer at lunch at an otherwise very good lucnh today was just silly. A grilled portobello mushroom with polenta cake, grilled tomato sauce and cheese fonduta. All very nice.

Except that they only included HALF of the mushroom. Are portobello mushrooms that expensive that serving the whole thing and not coming off as scrimping throws the food costs so out of whack?

C'mon.

I have always been a proponent of Restaurant Week (in fact scroll up a few posts to see one such instance). I've always accepted the limited menus, smaller portions and crowds as part of the deal.

I've also been a proponent of Colvin Run Tavern going so far as hosting a very successful office Christmas Party there a few years ago.

But my appetizer at lunch at an otherwise very good lucnh today was just silly. A grilled portobello mushroom with polenta cake, grilled tomato sauce and cheese fonduta. All very nice.

Except that they only included HALF of the mushroom. Are portobello mushrooms that expensive that serving the whole thing and not coming off as scrimping throws the food costs so out of whack?

C'mon.

LOL

Restaurant Week is only a good deal for the customer if the full menu is available. Dinner for two with a nice bottle of wine plus tip will run you at least $100! Around the same price for a nice steak dinner at Ray's The Steaks, or a few other places in the area that are not participating. You would think that during this slow period most establishments would be happy to have the flow of business this week.

Hey, Ardeo is serving their full very interesting looking menu. Has anyone ever tried this place recently? I may be back tracking if If I can get a reservation here :)

Majestic Cafe is also serving up a full menu!

Restaurant Week is only a good deal for the customer if the full menu is available. Dinner for two with a nice bottle of wine plus tip will run you at least $100!
This is at least what it will run you most places normally. I'm not sure what your point is.

I have a reservation for dinner at Vidalia tomorrow night. 7 pm, 2 people. I need to cancel, so PM me if you'd like it and we'll figure out how to make the switch.

Not sure what they're doing this year, but Vidalia was one of the best meals/experiences I've had during RW in the past. I would HIGHLY recommend them.

Hey, Ardeo is serving their full very interesting looking menu. Has anyone ever tried this place recently? I may be back tracking if If I can get a reservation here :)

Please report back if you make it there. Ardeo was always one of my favorite CP restaurants, but I haven't been in a while.

This is at least what it will run you most places normally. I'm not sure what your point is.

The point is that many people see RW as a "great deal" and, as a result, go out virtually every night. However, it's still a lot of money to spend on a meal-- as DLB pointed out, typically close to $100 with tax, tip, and wine-- so if you aren't going to get a meal with a wide selection of choices from the regular menu, then it's not worth doing RW there. You would be better off spending the $100 at a non-RW restaurant ordering what you want (or waiting until next week), rather than spend $100 on a three-course meal with second-tier choices during RW.

You would be better off spending the $100 at a non-RW restaurant ordering what you want (or waiting until next week), rather than spend $100 on a three-course meal with second-tier choices during RW.
Well...there you go - nobody's forcing ANYBODY to go anywhere during Restaurant Week. Choose wisely and it is a great deal at certain establishments. At other establishments, maybe you're better off saving your money and going at another time so you can enjoy the full experience minus all the RW insanity.

Maybe those people who ONLY go there during Restaurant Week aren't very likely to become repeat customers no matter what's offered on the menu. If they're interested in the place, why haven't they been before? If the only thing that draws them there is a super-discounted deal, then it probably isn't very likely they're going to come back at regular prices.

I, for one, would rather spread my dining dollars (and calories) out over time and not drop hundreds of dollars eating out every lunch/dinner for a week.

Freedom of choice, people - it's a beautiful thing!

Just my $.02...

I thought RW was a way to get people out and spending their money? Not a "bargain" or a way to introduce people to the menu, but a way to get fannies in seats in what is traditionally a slow month (Aug & Jan).

I am sure it doesn't hurt that most will see $30 and think it's a deal - without adding wine, parking, etc. onto the total cost.

I am fearful that the Don Pablo four courses for 10.99 will become de riguer in the coming years as people choose perceived value over true value. I'd rather go to Citronelle and pay 200.00 a head than go to Don Pablo's.
I feel like, in purely culinary terms, it is rather hard to justify a meal costing $200 while another, also prepared at least competently, costs $11. To my admittedly unrefined palate, there's just not that huge of a gulf in quality. Now, obviously this is why the ambiance and experience become more important as you go up the price scale.

There's particular special occasions when a trip to Citronelle* might very well be worth every bit for what it adds to the experience. But I would argue that there's many more occasions where hanging out with a bunch of friends at a place like Don Pablo's and taking advantage of lots of solid, cheap food (and margaritas/cervesas) can bring a level of marginal happiness that, though not as great as what you'd get from a high-end experience, is far more cost effective. Both have their place, and I don't think either will be disappearing any time soon.

* I grew up in deep southern Alabama. Citronelle, Alabama is...well...I'll be charitable here and just say that it is as diametrically opposite a place from Michel Richard's Citronelle as could exist in the United States. My initial reaction to seeing that Citronelle was an uber-expensive restaurant was unrestrained laughter and an overwhelming desire to take multiple pictures of the place to bring back and show everyone.

Hey, Ardeo is serving their full very interesting looking menu. Has anyone ever tried this place recently? I may be back tracking if If I can get a reservation here
I went with two friends to Ardeo last night for the first time last night for the RW menu, and we all thought it was excellent. We went pretty early (6:15) and there was good availability of tables at that time. For appetizers, two of us had the beet and goat cheese salad, which was really yummy--a nice portion of diced beets (red and pink), some frisee salad, and a good-sized slab of goat cheese in nuts and herbs. Our friend paid the upcharge for the scallops with polenta and dandelion greens, which he said were terrific.

For entrees, my partner had the halibut, our friend the NY strip steak (another upcharge), and I had the pork tenderloin. I only got a small taste of the halibut, which was fine but nothing special (I forget what the grain and vegetables accompanying it were). Our friend again seemed very satisfied with the steak, which was very good sized and looked to be perfectly grilled. Again, I don't recall the sides. The pork tenderloin was exquisitely moist, and I liked the pickled okra on top. (What's with okra and pork? Indigo Landing is serving that too.) The bed of pureed roast tomatoes, spinach (?), and beluga lentils was good, but maybe a bit much--it felt more like an autumn dish rather than summery.

Desserts were the homemade sorbets, carrot/walnut torte with an odd but tasty carrot ice cream, and the lemon berry tart--all nicely done though not exceptional. The service was very attentive, not intrusive, and aiming to please. All in all, I was impressed with the place, and judging how full it was by the time we left, others feel that way too. This strikes me as an excellent example of a DC midpriced restaurant, and RW is a good time to check it out.

Not sure what they're doing this year, but Vidalia was one of the best meals/experiences I've had during RW in the past. I would HIGHLY recommend them.
That's good to know. I've never been there for RW. We hadn't been there in a while and I wanted to go for my birthday. I had trouble getting anything through OpenTable, so called and was able to get a table at a good time Then I realized that my birthday is the last day of RW, so things made a little more sense. I guess I've already said something about this in the thread already :) . I'm looking forward to going, RW or not.

There's particular special occasions when a trip to Citronelle* might very well be worth every bit for what it adds to the experience. But I would argue that there's many more occasions where hanging out with a bunch of friends at a place like Don Pablo's and taking advantage of lots of solid, cheap food (and margaritas/cervesas) can bring a level of marginal happiness that, though not as great as what you'd get from a high-end experience, is far more cost effective. Both have their place, and I don't think either will be disappearing any time soon.

Of course, there is also a wide gulf between Citronelle and Don Pablos. I agree that there are many ocassions where you're just looking for a place to chill with friends and have a low-key meal...but you can still do that and eat good food. Cheap and easy doesn't have to be equated with bad eats.

Tonight heading to Corduroy for an 8pm. Is anyone else here going to be there? We always sit in Pamela's station, we highly recommend her. Look for the short blond and the good looking guy with blue eyes and the salt and pepper hair

Friday at Dino 8:30.

I thought RW was a way to get people out and spending their money? Not a "bargain" or a way to introduce people to the menu, but a way to get fannies in seats in what is traditionally a slow month (Aug & Jan).

I am sure it doesn't hurt that most will see $30 and think it's a deal - without adding wine, parking, etc. onto the total cost.

My big problem with restaurant week -- aside from the facts that I hate making reservations more than four hours in advance and thus can't find a place to eat, and find it hard to relax and enjoy a meal when the servers have that look of fatigue and irritation in their eyes -- is that I end up drinking just as much as ever, so the percentage savings is pretty low. Getting the check down from $150 to $130 isn't that big of a draw for me, given the other hassles.

Which brings me to a question for the pros out there. When I was in the business, the people most likely to take advantage of any promotion, sale, discount or coupon were also the people most likely to nurse a single iced tea through dinner, and tip low. In addition to the other well-document and/or bitterly exaggerated shortcomings of RW diners, are they cheap above and beyond the call of frugality?

My big problem with restaurant week -- aside from the facts that I hate making reservations more than four hours in advance and thus can't find a place to eat, and find it hard to relax and enjoy a meal when the servers have that look of fatigue and irritation in their eyes -- is that I end up drinking just as much as ever, so the percentage savings is pretty low. Getting the check down from $150 to $130 isn't that big of a draw for me, given the other hassles.

Which brings me to a question for the pros out there. When I was in the business, the people most likely to take advantage of any promotion, sale, discount or coupon were also the people most likely to nurse a single iced tea through dinner, and tip low. In addition to the other well-document and/or bitterly exaggerated shortcomings of RW diners, are they cheap above and beyond the call of frugality?

If the restaurant is offering their entire menu, my husband and I tend to tip based on the original cost of the 3 courses. We have no problem doing this, but I guess we've been lucky, as we have always gotten great service. Nor, have we except for one instance (last year at Tosca) been rushed during the places we've dined at during RW. We typically take at least 3 hours (or more if the restaurant accomodates us) for dinner. Yes, our problem is that we will add a good bottle of wine to jack up the price a bit, but some participating restarants will offer special prices on a bottle, or like Dino, I think they are offering a wine flight to go with dinner. So I guess you can make it as inexpensive or expensive as you like.

Any servers out there who can comment?

Wow, for three hours at a table during restaurant week, I certainly hope it is the most expensive bottle on the list. Three hours is long even by French standards.

ETA THIS->(Oops...I didn't mean that to sound as nasty as it looks on print.) I think most restaurants are into turning their tables on these weeks in order not to inconvenience other reservation holders.

or like Dino, I think they are offering a wine flight to go with dinner. So I guess you can make it as inexpensive or expensive as you like.

Any servers out there who can comment?

We are offering our wine madness (33%off all wines over $50 a bottle) on Sunday thru Wednesday of next week all of which is also restaurant week extended at Dino. We also have a $10 wine flight: Valpolicella Cantina di Custoza, Nero d'Avola Cusumano and 1999 100% sangiovese super tuscan Felciaia.

I had a good time (and a nice reunion with a friend I rarely see) at Notti Bianche last night. I started and continued through the meal with prosecco, which got things off to a good start. My friend had the crostini trio, the wild salmon and then the semolina cake (with peaches) for dessert. I had the charred octopus, the branzino and the semifreddo. All of that and the coffee we ordered were very tasty. Also, our waiter was very good -- and indulgent of us. My friend would not have gone to NB (or anywhere else) had it not been Restaurant Week, but she will definitely go back, even during a non-RW time period. She will, I think, be a new customer of many places because RW made the concept of going out to a nice dinner more accessible to her.