Praline Bakery and Bistro, Owners Susan Limb and Patrick Musel Expanding to Several Area Locations

You'll see some familiar faces from Bistrot du Coin here, and also recognize alot of the menu from BdC (and there's the writing of the wines by the glass on the mirror). This place is in a really odd location, though-- in a neighborhood I had no idea existed (and I grew up in DC and used to live in Bethesda). It's off MacArthur, hidden on Sangamore Road in a new shopping strip. Satisfying bistro stuff: mussels, steaks, tartines, etc. The food was good, but the two reasons to venture up here if you don't live nearby are the great second floor patio and the desserts. The brioche with a creme brulee center (and a perfect raspberry macaron) was fantastic. They are definitely still getting their sea legs service-wise, but Patrick Chassagneux (used to be a server at BdC) is the perfect host.

I have been very interested in hearing about Praline. I still cannot figure out where it is, though. Can you get there from River Road?

Also, does anyone know of a website?

If you are going west on River Road, make a left onto Goldsboro, a left onto Massachusetts, a right onto Sangamore and then a left at the stop sign where the National Geo-Spatial Intelligence Agency headquarters is. You can see the shopping center from Sangamore.

My co-worker has been there several times [she & her husband know the owners, but they're quite honest in their food evaluations - one is in the industry].

French/American fusion, food is quite good I've been told [Chicken Pot Pie was reported to be excellent]. Personally, I've tried 2 desserts from there [my co-worker likes to spoil us at work hehe]. Both were excellent.

They have a full bar, bakery, & restaurant over 2 levels. May take my dining group there sometime.

Probably will stop by there finally & eat lunch or dinner this weekend. Will try to remember to report back with a review

Gave Praline a shot last night. It's definitely off the beaten path, but it was interesting to see an area I had no ideas was there even though I grew up in Silver Spring.

Praline reminded me of why I've always been a big fan of French food.

We started with the duck confit served with frisee and a sweet sauce. Straightforward, nice combinations of flavors. The duck was fantastic -- made me wish there was more of it stuffed in that big pastry. We also got the three-cheese plate. It was here I could see the service needed a little work. I asked what was on the cheese plate, and the waiter in his thick French accent was like "Oh, it's a combination of American and French. A soft one, a bleu and a hard cheese."

When it came out, it was actually a brie, a goat cheese and a bleu. Pretty pedestrian overall, but very nice sized portion. The bleu was good but the rest were boring. We had a hard time finishing it and had to keep shooing the busser from taking it away.

Entrees were the steak with french fries and chicken pot pie. I had the chicken, which was pretty awesome. I half expected it to come out like one of those Marie Callendar bowls with the pastry underneath, but the huge pastry sits on top and the chicken is in a fantastic creamy stew with peas and other vegetables. It was half comfort food, half fine french. Great combination.

My friend loved her steak -- it had a huge pat of butter on top, reminding me why I love French food. But the steak was so flavorful -- perfectly seasoned, tender, and the fries were okay. Would've been better if they weren't so lukewarm.

On the way out, I saw the chef eating the same steak, but his was with green beans. Maybe I'll try it that way next time. Skipped dessert and finished our cheap Malbec. The wine list tends toward the more expensive, but there were some interesting items on there. I was tempted to get the Hendry Block 7 which I haven't had in years, but at $55 we skipped it.

Good experience -- too full of wine and food to get dessert.

My only real gripe is with the ambiance. I don't mind restaurants in shopping centers, but this place really, really feels like it's in a shopping center. The white railings, drywall ... just not really keenly designed, I guess. If it was warmer we would've sat on the very nice patio.

$82.00 before tax and tip.

Had a quick lunch here yesterday. The upstairs dining area is open and airy and full of light. The scene was Bethesda ladies who lunch. No, seriously: I believe ol_ironstomach was the only adult male not serving or bussing.

Gazpacho was decidedly wierd. It was more like a bowl of tomato broth overwhlemed by about two cups worth of finely chopped squash, sweet pepper, hot pepper, and celery, rather than a soup. I like soups when they're somehow more than the sum of their parts. This one just didn't work for me.

However, there's nothing wrong with a goodly portion of duck confit inside a flaky pastry (feuillette), served with a simple salad of frisee with chives and a lightly sweet dressing.

For dessert we hit the pastry case downstairs on the way out. There was a cookie (also called feuillette) that was rather like a palmier, only richer, in two pieces enclosing a raspberry filling. I do believe the pastry had just enough flour to hold the butter together.

This morning's breakfast was another amazingly buttery pastry - a danish - with half an apricot and a generous swirl of pistachio.

Despite the odd gazpacho, this place is joining the frequent rotation list, at least until I've had a chance to explore more of the menu.

Ol_ironstomach's dishes were quite tasty, too, but I'll leave them for him to describe.

Soup of the day: mixed fresh vegetable. This soup was spot-on...uniformly puréed to a thick creamy texture, rich, judiciously seasoned and served warm. Its flavor was more earthy-mushroomy than juicy.

I had the smoked salmon tartine to follow. It was a good tartine - plenty of soft salmon with chive bits atop half a rustic bread spread with cream cheese, and a decorative criss-cross of julienned peppers to finish. Served with a portion of salad greens and vinaigrette. However, at $12 it wasn't much of a value, especially compared to the terrific duck confit feuilleté (which I'd swear is misspelled as feuillette both upstairs and downstairs) appetizer for $8.

Porcupine's gazpacho was definitely unusual; I didn't care for either its odd texture nor the complete failure to marry the vegetable flavors together. It seemed like little more than a mixed-vegetable dice, heavy on the celery, tossed into a somewhat thin tomato soup.

I'm sorry to say that I still haven't returned for a meal here, but I want to note two things:

1. They serve brunch on Sundays

2. The pastries are fantastic. Well worth a stop by if you're anywhere even vaugely nearby. Well worth even a special trip. They're flakey when they should be, just lightly sweet, buttery but not oily. Really. Everything I've tried has been about the best of its kind in the entire DC area. The espresso drinks are great, too.

Praline deserves much more attention than it's getting.

How come no one really talks about this place? As far as desserts go, this is a reliable place to pick up a small cake or some macarons for assorted occasions and the individual sweets are great for a fix. I definitely dig their slight obsession with cassis.

How come no one really talks about this place?

Ambiance/location? I'm addicted to their coffee macarons, rustic apple tarts, and lemon cookies. And the cakes I've bought there (black forest and opera come to mind) have all been good. But when I eat there, I keep wishing I were somewhere else (e.g. Patisserie Poupon). Still haven't had a real meal -- just coffee and pastry or the occasional sandwich downstairs.

That said, I don't like their croissants. They seem undercooked to me -- limp rather than flaky.

Wanted to give Praline, in Bethesda, a well-deserved kudos. No, not an employee and not a flack-- just a frequent and happy customer. My only reservation in posting this review is that it might make it harder for me to get a table.

Praline is located in the Sangamore Place shopping center off Sangamore Road in Bethesda. Praline's location is quite ordinary; fortunately, the food is not. Insider's secret: Michel Richard frequently stops by Praline to sample its cooking on his day off. You can find Richard's signed photo by the stairway to Praline's dining room.

Praline's executive chef is Christian Gautois, formerly of Maison Blanche. (Don't remember Maison Blanche? It was one of DC's leading French restaurants, back in the day.) Gautois is turning out some excellent food at Praline. The left side of the menu is a lovely blend of French classics and cuisine moderne, the latter administered with a light touch. The right side of the menu is a mix of moderately-priced French and American crowd-pleasers, ranging from chacuterie and escargots to chicken pot pie, a minute steak and an excellent burger. Yes, the menu is eclectic, but the food is also excellent. Some of the extremely enjoyable dishes that I've enjoyed lately from the pricier side of the menu:

Bouillabaise (note the fennel and garlicky aioli)

Moules frites (juicy mussels with beautifully twice-fried frites)

Couscous (and I only wish it were on the menu more frequently)

A lamb trio of diverse cuts and preparations, including a lovely braised shank and a delicious chop

Salads are inventive and soups (which change daily) and desserts are excellent. The wine list was expanded recently and has some enjoyable offerings, both red and white. A charcuterie plate and a cheese plate are also worthwhile, as is salmon with ratatouille-- all from the moderately-priced right-hand side of the menu. I'm told that French embassy employees frequent Praline for the pastries, including the French macaroons.

If you're taking the kids along, they'll likely appreciate the burger and some of the plainer fare. Praline hits a number of notes: family-friendly for lunch and early in the evening, more foodie-friendly a bit later on. One caveat-- get there by 8.30 pm if you want a table for dinner.

Praline is owned and managed by two fomer White House chefs. The extremely talented Patrick is the force behind the baked-in-house pastries and breads (which can be purchased during the day at a downstairs pastry case) and the extremely personable and capable Susan manages restaurant operations. Of late, Philippe has proved a knowledgeable and welcoming maitre d', who ably guides the diner around through the day's best options.

I'm generally at Praline for dinner, but it is open (and busy) at lunch, and has carry-out service for pastries early in the day. With the arrival of Christian Gautois, Praline deserves a wider look.

I needed a place to meet some out-of-town friends for lunch the other day, so checked the trusty Restaurant Guide and spotted this place that has never been on my radar. Turned out to be a great choice. We had a very pleasant lunch and the daily special I ordered was really delicious. I think they called it a tartine, with caramelized onions, goat cheese and a pile of prosciutto covering the top - with a tasty green salad on the side. Am hoping to go back and try them for dinner soon!

I'm enamored of Praline, so I can't be objective, but the food lately has been fantastic. Recently the salad lyonnaise (frisee, lardons, poached egg, sherry vinaigrette) was better than any other I've ever had, and the beef bourguignon was just... perfect. The meat was beautifully dark, tender, and rich, and the sauce tasted wonderfully winey without the harshness of alcohol. And the king cake for dessert was just divine. Granted I'm a pastry addict, but I couldn't stop picking at the crumbs. Wonderfully buttery, flaky crumbs. I'm going to have to start walking to Praline to keep from gaining back any weight.

Have you tried the caramel pear danish?

Oh my yes. And the croissant, almond croissant, and chocolate croissant. And the cream cheese danish and apricot danish and brioche and brioche sucrée and apple feuilletté and sablée and brownie and chocolate chip cookie and lemon drop cookie and lemon tart and a few of the macaroons. And I never leave without a palmier, just because. Because, you know, butter, flour, and sugar. :angry: So simple. So perfect.

But (crossposting to Saint Michel Bakery) they have crappy baguettes.

It's true. It's a shame. (About both places.) But the other breads are good.

Oh my yes. And the croissant, almond croissant, and chocolate croissant. And the cream cheese danish and apricot danish and brioche and brioche sucrée and apple feuilletté and sablée and brownie and chocolate chip cookie and lemon drop cookie and lemon tart and a few of the macaroons. And I never leave without a palmier, just because. Because, you know, butter, flour, and sugar. :angry: So simple. So perfect.

Don't forget the lemon ginger cookies! I think my three-year old is now about 50% Praline lemon ginger cookie.

they had the best pastry counter at the mcpherson square farmers market and i am looking forward to their return.

Most of the bakery/pastry items are sold by Praline at the Silver Spring farmers market on Saturdays. The pear and caramel tart is amazing, though my 2 1/2 year old quickly identified the best thing there; the chocolate chocolate-chip cookie, which is moist enough to be a brownie.

Just had a very pleasant dinner at Praline Bistro this evening. Needing an escape from the kitchen, my husband and I went over for a quiet dinner out. We chose to eat inside (although there is an option of eating on a more casual roof-top patio). I started with a beet salad with toasted hazelnuts and blue cheese and my husband had a pretty classic onion soup. We had specials for main courses - for me, a perfectly cooked piece of cod, with a diced mushroom garnish on a bed of leeks and for my husband, sauteed soft shelled crab almondine. Both were excellent. Our server was professional and friendly. We were served good chewy French bread and butter along with our wine before our orders arrived. This is a really nice, kind of out-of-the-way place to have dinner!

But (crossposting to Saint Michel Bakery) they have crappy baguettes.

It's true. It's a shame. (About both places.) But the other breads are good.

FWIW, the website says the bread is not made by Praline: "Our traditional French baguette and other breads, the only items we do not make in-house, are delivered fresh each morning."

FWIW, the website says the bread is not made by Praline: "Our traditional French baguette and other breads, the only items we do not make in-house, are delivered fresh each morning."

Yes, that's why they can't sell them at the Rockville Farmers Market - it's a grower/producer only market, and they don't make their own baguettes.

Doesn't change the fact that their baguettes suck. If they have them made for them elsewhere, they should find a new supplier. Because, in case you haven't noticed, their baguettes suck.

I'm surprised Praline doesn't get more frequent and more consistently enthusiastic mention on this thread. I only make it here once every several months due to other spots being more convenient but was in today and, among other things, we really enjoyed:

- a "Root Vegetable Soup" made with potato, carrot and a few other vegetables was hearty without being thick, very nicely seasoned and made with no cream

- one of the area's better eclairs with a very light chocolate mousse filling and light, perfectly sweetened pastry

- macarons with slight differences from but as good as others including Tout de Sweet and Cacao*

* talking macarons with one of the workers, learned what any hard(er) core (than me) macaron fan has surely known for at least a few months

It's a great shop, but it's near NOTHING, and not an easy route from major roads, so there's no "dropping in when you're nearby" or "stopping on the way to something else".

I go every few months on a free weekend morning for a coffee and croissant or pastry. Haven't actually ever eaten a meal there.

It's a great shop, but it's near NOTHING, and not an easy route from major roads, so there's no "dropping in when you're nearby" or "stopping on the way to something else".

I go every few months on a free weekend morning for a coffee and croissant or pastry. Haven't actually ever eaten a meal there.

Near nothing? C'mon Daniel K. It's near this and maybe a 5 or 7 minute drive to the part of MacArthur with Salt&Pepper, et Voila, etc. OK, OK, the surrounding neighborhood has great character? Fine, fine. Near nothing then. :lol:

The tendency to always get a pastry there was partly why I ordered a soup today despite having had lunch already. It looked good and I realized there was a savory side to Praline largely unknown to me so...soup for me! it was an excellent soup. Need to try a meal.

They actually had an outpost in Annapolis that recently closed down. Not sure why they chose there for #2 versus something closer in to the city and their main shop.

Near nothing? C'mon Daniel K. It's near this and maybe a 5 or 7 minute drive to the part of MacArthur with Salt&Pepper, et Voila, etc. OK, OK, the surrounding neighborhood has great character? Fine, fine. Near nothing then. :lol:

it's tottally near nothing as far as i'm concerned, and even the macarthur boulevard places are a hike through the woods away for me. that's why i go to the thursday farmers market near mcpherson square, usually picking up some macarons and blueberry pound cake. the slices of carrot cake are good as well, though i prefer an entire cake to slices, which is just the opposite of pies. the pie-for-one servings encountered at restaurants are just about never as good as a slice from the real thing -- a whole big pie.

I meant that if you're on the Beltway, downtown Bethesda, or even the Cabin John Parkway, it's not a 2 minute detour. You have to make a special trip to go there. Though it is very near one of my favorite quiet entrances to the C&O Canal towpath.

If Praline were off Woodmont, it would be packed every hour it was open.

Once in a while, if traffic is at an absolute standstill on Clare Barton, I will detour off. Since they offer so much of their baked goods at various farmers markets, I find I just don't make the effort to get over to the Sangamore location that often. There is nothing else in the strip mall to get more over there.

I find I just don't make the effort to get over to the Sangamore location that often. There is nothing else in the strip mall to get more over there.

Praline is less than 10 minutes from my house. :P There's a really good, reasonably priced shoe repair shop in the interior section, next to the Safeway.

I'm surprised Praline doesn't get more frequent and more consistently enthusiastic mention on this thread.

Praline may not be near anything, but it's only a few minutes away from me; as a result, MrP and I have eaten there fairly often. It has good, solid food most of the time (the salad lyonaisse is great), but some of the regular menu items have been disappointing. On the other hand, I've had some great specials there. As far as pastry goes, well, correlation may not imply causality, but I did put on a fair amount of weight after moving here... The pastries are just stunningly good. Always.

Somehow I've managed to go a few years without dining at Praline.  A few nights ago, they had a lamb stew that knocked my socks off.  Perfectly braised meat in a rich sauce, with a few dried tomatoes and apricot, served on a potato puree. It was divine, nicely savory with just a little sweetness from the apricot. (It reminded me of the salli boti jardaloo at Passage to India.)  They're now offering both sweet and savory crepes.  Be advised that they close early - 8:00.

We still go for pastries fairly often.  The last two sentences of my previous post are still true.

"Bethesda's Praline Bakery Opens at The Wharf" by Jeff Clabaugh on wtop.com

On 4/26/2016 at 8:17 PM, cheezepowder said:

Praline is opening a quick service/casual spot at Glen Echo Park on April 30, 2016.  Praline also expects to open a location this fall in Mosaic District (via DC Outlook posting a press release.)

I went to the Glen Echo location last autumn - it's very small, and the goods are clearly trucked in, but it wasn't bad considering it's similar in spirit to a kiosk at King's Dominion.