Key Lime Juicer

bigpinot

Anybody know where I can purchase a Mexican lime press (esprimadora)? I'm looking for the metal hand-held tools that enable quick and easy juice extraction from key limes. There are a few for sale on eBay, but I've gotta believe that they can be purchased locally. I've looked at Target, as well as a few latin grocery stores, but haven't had any luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Or, if you know of an alternative way to juice a few pounds of fresh key limes without resorting to one of those bowl-top juicers or reamers, feel free to opine.

I've looked at Target, as well as a few latin grocery stores, but haven't had any luck. Any help would be appreciated!
Have you tried El Chaparral? It's across Wilson Blvd. from the Whole Foods in Clarendon. They have a decent selection of cast-aluminum regional cookware. - I'd call first though.

I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond for a few bucks less than Sur la Table.

Any idea which design is stronger - the ubiquitous cast aluminum ones, or the stamped-and-welded sheet steel? The latter ($$, Le Creuset outlet, Leesburg) feels lighter and less substantial, but I did manage to break the handle off one of the cast design after only about two dozen lemons and limes.

FWIW, expect to pay around $15 at SLT or W-S, perhaps a couple bucks less at BB&B, and even less at World Market (also a good source for a cheap unpainted tortilla press), or any local Latin grocery. Or Froogle for "exprimidor".

Any idea which design is stronger - the ubiquitous cast aluminum ones, or the stamped-and-welded sheet steel? The latter (Le Creuset outlet, Leesburg) feels lighter and less substantial, but I did manage to break the handle off one of the cast design after only about two dozen lemons and limes.

FWIW, expect to pay around $15 at SLT or W-S, perhaps a couple bucks less at BB&B, and even less at World Market (also a good source for a cheap unpainted tortilla press), or any local Latin grocery. Or Froogle for "exprimidor".

I don't know about comparative strength because I only bought one but it has lasted through at least a hundred lemons and limes without any hint of a problem. It is the enamel coated aluminum type. I seem to remember it being about $11 and BB&B sends me a never ending supply of 20% off coupons.

I use the lemon juicer that Jacques linked to for lemons and limes (including Key) and have been very happy with it. I even used it to crack walnuts last Christmas, and it performed better than the crappy little nut cracker my wife handed to me.