Chili

DonRocks

I have a tasty shortcut for making chili-- pop open a box of Hard Times Chili mix. I wasn't a believer in the directions they give for cooking the meat, which calls for cooking it in water, basically poaching it, but I tried it and like it. It allows me to break up the chunks and the meat gets really tender. I also throw in a splash of vinegar that works with the chili and spices to heighten flavor.

I also nixed adding beer because Mr. MV and I found that the flavors are more present without it. Occasionally I'll add a masa slurry to thicken and get that corn flavor whether it's Hard Times chili or my own rendition.

We really like the Hard Times mix. I start to get anxious when we are down to two boxes.... We probably make it once a month.

For anyone who is particularly proud of their chili recipe, please keep January 12, 2014, in mind - Jason and I will be hosting a chili cook-off/tailgate fundraiser (again, to benefit LLS), and we are going to be looking for entrants!

Doesn't matter if your chili is bean, no-bean, Texas, chicken/white, vegan, or anything else under the sun - we want to have a lot of variety!  PM me if you would like further details - I'll certainly post more info as it becomes available.

Yes, we will have the NFL playoffs on the TV during the event.  :D

• Like 1

For anyone who is particularly proud of their chili recipe, please keep January 12, 2014, in mind - Jason and I will be hosting a chili cook-off/tailgate fundraiser (again, to benefit LLS), and we are going to be looking for entrants!

Doesn't matter if your chili is bean, no-bean, Texas, chicken/white, vegan, or anything else under the sun - we want to have a lot of variety!  PM me if you would like further details - I'll certainly post more info as it becomes available.

Yes, we will have the NFL playoffs on the TV during the event.  :D

[betty Joan, please feel free to make this into a separate topic in E&G also.]

Just made a batch of green chili/stew;  not sure what it is.  I basically take the recipe for Rick Bayless' roasted tomatillo salsa from his Salsas That Cook (an excellent little cookbook),and sub in homemade chicken stock for water in the recipe and puree it.  I brown about 3 or 4 pounds of cubed pork shoulder in olive oil/bacon fat, add the salsa and additional quart or so of stock, thrown in some cumin and brown sugar, and let it bubble away for about 2 and half hours.  Whatever it's called, it's dang tasty.

I love good chili. Plus there are lots of styles of chilis to choose from and tweak.

But this, this is perhaps the best chili ever. I keep making it because it keeps utterly satisfying me (sans beans - no need for them, but I must admit, I have never included them so I have no idea if I m missing Amazing Hallelujah Chili or not).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/dark-pot-roast-chili/13016/