Inexpensive Wine Finds

I have to say one of my favorite reds for under $15 is the 2003 Castle Rock Russian River reserve Pinot Noir.  I bought it a while back on Wine Exchange for $11.99 a bottle and it has trememdous fruit and depth for the price.  This pinot can easily out match those that are twice it's price.

Beware when buying this wine. Read the label carefully.

Castle Rock doesn't own any vineyards, they buy juice from a multitude of sources, even within the same vintage, so you could have 2003 Pinot Noir from Russian River, Carneros, or wherever they choose to buy it. There are significant differences in flavors and styles.

For the same money, you can buy Kimball or Martin Ray "Angeline" Pinot Noir (both from California) and they offer better value I think.

I like the following:

whites: Plozner Tocai Friulano (Bacchus), Maculan Pinot e Toi (Winebow), De Leonardo "Toh!" Tocai Friulano (does anyone notice a Tocai Friulano theme going on here?, Downey), Lockwood Sauvignon Blanc, William Roan Viognier (Both Bacchus), Cortese "Sentito" Maggiore (Potomac), Dal Maso Gambellara (DOwney), Marquise Phillips "Holly's Blend" (Henry)

reds: Feudi d'Elimi Nero d'Avola (Grappoli), Il Palu Refosco (Also their chard and pinot grigio, Grappoli again), Villa Nanni Aglianico (Grappoli yet again), Old Vines Red from Marietta (Bacchus), Chianti Filicaija and Maggiori Croatina (both Potomac), Chianti San Fabiano Putto 2003 (Henry)

(does anyone notice a Tocai Friulano theme going on here?, Downey),
Hell yeah! I'm loving how Friuli represents on your list. Another nice, inexpensive label from there is Marco Felluga.

It's also nice to see a lot of the Grappoli imports listed. Alberto Panella is a really nice guy and would be a great bit of fun to show off some of his wines at Dino.

Hell yeah!  I'm loving how Friuli represents on your list.  Another nice, inexpensive label from there is Marco Felluga.

It's also nice to see a lot of the Grappoli imports listed.  Alberto Panella is a really nice guy and would be a great bit of fun to show off some of his wines at Dino.

Just wait till we add some of the Gravner, Due Terre, and Lispida wines as well.

I'm just back from a nice visit with the Rockwell Foundation at Dino, and let me tell you, their wine program rocks the world. I'll save most of my comments for the restaurant forum, but to specifically talk about great wine finds, you can find many of them at Dino. The 3 ounce pour lets you sample many wines of all kinds, naturally with heavy representation from Italy, particularly Veneto and Friuli, some from Tuscany, Piemonte and Umbria and a little more from other provinces. The deal is that these wines are selling for just 10 bucks over retail. Many of the bottles are in the 25-35 range, so you'll find lots of deals in a store.

This 3 ounce pour rocks (pun intended) and I bet it's only a matter of time before the concept is adopted by many other restaurants. Yes, other restaurants will do the same. If not, they're missing out on a great concept and great moneymaker.

Allow me to quote Don Rocks talking about Alceno Tinto from the Andale thread, (which interestingly is the oldest thread in the restaurant topic.):

The red wine is brought out, from what is obviously a cellar or temperature-controlled area, and is presented and poured in a high-quality wine glass. It (the Alceno) was just as it was described to be, and just as I had hoped: a good, minerally, medium-bodied table wine without oak and without pretense - the single best bottle of $12 wine I’ve ever had at any restaurant in America (it’s listed on the menu at $24). Don’t look for fireworks here; look for correctness and character, along with proper wine service.

This wine, which regularly sells for $9.99 at the P Street Whole Foods was available this morning there for $4.99 a bottle. I paid $54 for my case when you throw in the 10% discount, which is good on sale items, too. I may return for a second case. This is an amazing bargain. :P

Carro Tinto (2004), a blend of Monastrell(Mourvedre), Syrah, Tempranillo and a touch of Merlot. From the town of Yecla outside of Murcia in the Southeast of Spain. This wine by Antonio Candela and sons is rife with cherry and berry fruits. The soft tannins and low acidity make for pleasant drinking. A great deal at around $7 a bottle

Allow me to quote Don Rocks talking about Alceno Tinto from the Andale thread, (which interestingly is the oldest thread in the restaurant topic.):

The red wine is brought out, from what is obviously a cellar or temperature-controlled area, and is presented and poured in a high-quality wine glass. It (the Alceno) was just as it was described to be, and just as I had hoped: a good, minerally, medium-bodied table wine without oak and without pretense - the single best bottle of $12 wine I’ve ever had at any restaurant in America (it’s listed on the menu at $24). Don’t look for fireworks here; look for correctness and character, along with proper wine service.

This wine, which regularly sells for $9.99 at the P Street Whole Foods was available this morning there for $4.99 a bottle.  I paid $54 for my case when you throw in the 10% discount, which is good on sale items, too.  I may return for a second case.  This is an amazing bargain. :P

After talking about this at dinner tonight, I investigated whether this was an area-wide sale. It is not. It isn't available at the Glover Park Whole Foods. The wine guy said that some sales overlap stores while others don't. They do try to offer same categories so GP had the Tres Ojos Tinto but not the same price cut.

After talking about this at dinner tonight, I investigated whether this was an area-wide sale.  It is not.  It isn't available at the Glover Park Whole Foods.  The wine guy said that some sales overlap stores while others don't.  They do try to offer same categories so GP had the Tres Ojos Tinto but not the same price cut.

After a rockin' pork meal at La Casona, I bought another case. There were at least 8 more on the floor and I'm sure more in the back. It's the deal of the century folks. Worse comes to worse and you don't like it, turn it into sangria or cook with it. It's still cheaper than that $5 bottle of Gallo you normally cook with!

Bessin Chablis Vielle Vignes 2002 from UNwined in the Bradlee Shopping Center on King Street by the Quaker Lane crossroads, 14.99.

Delicate, well balanced fruit, nuanced acidity with a very clean finish. Nice mineral base.

At market Salamander I used to sell the Besssin Fourchaume, another great wine but for the price the 02 V.V. is a steal, I ordered a case.

This wine, which regularly sells for $9.99 at the P Street Whole Foods was available this morning there for $4.99 a bottle.   I paid $54 for my case when you throw in the 10% discount, which is good on sale items, too.  I may return for a second case.  This is an amazing bargain. :P

I may head over to the P Street Whole Foods at the lunch hour today to pick uyp a case of this stuff. If anyone would like for me to pick up a case for them (assuming it is still on sale and they still have it) send me a PM.

edited to add, the bad news is that I just bought the last case. The good news is that they are getting more in for the weekend. $4.85/bottle with case discount and incl. tax.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

edited to add, the bad news is that I just bought the last case.  The good news is that they are getting more in for the weekend.  $4.85/bottle with case discount and incl. tax.

Anyone know if the P street Whole foods got anymore cases in over the weekend?

Sorry to come late to the party with this one, but the 02 Shepherds Ridge Sauvignon Blanc is a great wine. It's not quite under your $10 mark, but worth a good look. I think it was $12.99 at Total Wines about 2 weeks ago. It's rated a 90 by Wine Spectator, if that makes a difference to you.

-brian

Sorry to come late to the party with this one, but the 02 Shepherds Ridge Sauvignon Blanc is a great wine.  It's not quite under your $10 mark, but worth a good look.  I think it was $12.99 at Total Wines about 2 weeks ago.    It's rated a 90 by Wine Spectator, if that makes a difference to you.

-brian

Hokie, it's a dang good thing then that we're looking for wines under $15, otherwise there'd be some serious 'splainin' to do!

Two things....what more can you tell us about this wine. And secondly, welcome to DonRockwell.com. We're glad you could join us!

Hokie, it's a dang good thing then that we're looking for wines under $15, otherwise there'd be some serious 'splainin' to do!

Two things....what more can you tell us about this wine.  And secondly, welcome to DonRockwell.com.  We're glad you could join us!

let's see... what do you want to know? i bought it on a whim at Total Wines becuase I was looking for something 'summery' (is that a word? :P ), light and tasty for a gathering at a friend's place. I noticed it was rated really highly and not expensive, so I grabbed it. I'm certainly no wine expert, but my first impression was that it was kind of grassy and herbacious, but that was because it was too cold I think. As it warms up a little the fruitier notes really come out, but don't overwhelm. I'm a big fan.

I also recommend Veritas' Sauvignon Blanc. I think they only have an 03 out, as they haven't been around too long. As noted in the VA Winery thread, Veritas is down near Charlottesville. Anyway, I found this wine to be really different - in a good way. It was very bright and had a unique thing going on with some citrus flavors and, to me, a somewhat limey finish. A great wine for a summer evening, and I think it's priced around $15 as well.

Am I just weird, or is anything by Bonny Doon pretty damn good?  I find a lot of their wines to be delicious, affordable, and interesting - and god bless their commitment to stylvan closures!  :-)  Hooray for easy access!

You may indeed be wierd, I don't know. :P

But I, too, enjoy the Bonny Doon wines. Very dependable and quaffable. I had one of the roses for the first time the other week at Mrs B's house and it was quite enjoyable. The big house red is good for when you just want a glass of red; it's compatable with a wide range of foods or can be had on its own.

The big house red is good for when you just want a glass of red; it's compatable with a wide range of foods or can be had on its own.

I like this too, especially the current 2003. Very drinkable and quite cheap at Corridor: $6.99 (same price for the White and Pink too). Came in third place in reds in this NY Times feature last week

Had some BD Le Cigare Volant not too long ago, which I really enjoyed.

it may not be the best reason for buying wine, but i am looking for bonny doon wine with gary taxali labels. has anyone seen them around here? they're available on the web site, but last time i looked they wouldn't ship to dc. i guess there is some legal impediment to shipping here? we used to order from afton vineyards coming down the mountain to charlottesville, but they stopped a few years ago.

I've been a loyal Bonny Doon fan for 20 years. Owner and President-for-Life Randall Grahm is a national treasure. Had the best time visiting them 12 years ago, too.

I'm carrying the following at the moment:

Pacific Rim Dry Riesling

Pacific Rim Dry Chenin Blanc

Critique of Pure Riesling

Old Telegram (VERY old, Old Telegram! Should be coming around about now, too)

Le Cigare Volant

Vin Gris de Cigare ("The thinking person's pink wine")

Ca' Del Solo Big House Red, Big House White and Big House Pink.

Ca' Del Solo Malvasia Bianca

Ca' Del Solo "Freisa" (think that's how it's spelled)

Muscat Vin de Glacière

Their new Syrah Port, "Bouteille Call"

And various and sundry other things, such as some Garnacha, eau-de-vies and goodness knows what else.

The Bonny Doon website is increasingly entertaining and fun to read.

Kudos to them also for being U.S.A. pioneers with Stel-Vin closures - as Randall said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "We use 21st century technology in the vineyards, 21st century technology in the vinification process, so why seal it all up with 14th century technology?"

I've found recently that the 2004 Oyster Bay Savignon Blanc from NZ at 11 bucks a bottle is really pretty good. I'd give it a solid B for QPR. My normal every day SB is the Goldwater Dog Point but I've been buying more and more of the Oyster Bay lately. You can find it at whole foods but I bet it's even cheaper at some of the big wine stores in the area

Abrazo Del Toro Reserva 1999. I get this at Trader Joe's for $4.99 a bottle, and have been drinking quite a bit of it lately. 60% Garnacha/40% Tempranillo. Another medium bodied Spanish red with berries at first, then a peppery zing at the end of the taste. It's quickly become my house red, ready to pour with pizza or other quick dinners.

For quick recognition, it has an orange and red label and a black foil cap over the cork. There is a non-reserva with a red cap, which isn't as good, although not bad, and only $3.99 a bottle.

yes. Its thin and watery, displays very little ripeness. And I agree its under the $15 title, but don't be fooled by the review or points awarded to it. Thats all, not to offend you by the comment just a heads up.

No offense taken -- in fact, I appreciate your candor. I'm just surprised, as the folks at WCA are usually dead-on with their recommendations. Now I'm really interested to try it!

Lola

So, I've finally gone through a few 2004 Rhone reds.

Top bargain pick so far is Chateau Valcombe Costieres de Nimes. Lots of fruit but nicely balanced. This is shaping up to be an excellent vintage for the Rhone.

Only $7 or 8 at CW.

So, I've finally gone through a few 2004 Rhone reds.

Top bargain pick so far is Chateau Valcombe Costieres de Nimes. Lots of fruit but nicely balanced. This is shaping up to be an excellent vintage for the Rhone.

Only $7 or 8 at CW.

I agree with JPW on the CV Costieres de Nimes, this is a great value.

2002 Chateau Grande Cassagne "Hippolyte" Rouge (Robert Kacher), which I had with some friends at Petit Louis in Baltimore on Sat. Really, really nice wine (and that's not just the fireplace, rillettes and onion soup talking). Looks like it retails for only about $14 too.

I would definitely start looking for 2004 reds from Italy as well as the Rhone. So far what I ahve had has been pretty fantastic- some Barbara's from Piemonte, some reds from Campania (Aglianico mainnly), Lagrein from Alto Adige (the Cantina de Tramin is particular yummy but probably doesn't fit this category).

I just picked up a couple of bottles of 2004 Castano Monastrell (RP 89 points) at MacArthur Beverages for $5.99. It is medium bodied, with a sweet blueberry and raspberry nose, plenty of fruit but with a tannic spine to it. Could this be this year's Alceno Tinto, a delicious bargain wine for everyday drinking? I bought it to use for cooking, but it's plenty drinkable.

Marquis Phillips "Holly's Blend" 2004 -- Semillon/Verdelho. $9. Nice.

I tried this for the first time tonight. Was a very nice compliment to a spicy lime-mustard chicken. Happy to say I found an interesting wine shop not too far from my place that had this for $6.99/bottle this week. They also had several other honorable mentions on this thread.

My new favorite wine guy at a shop near my place remembered I picked up some Bonny Doon the last time I was in (the first time I was in his shop) and pointed out to me that they just got in some of the Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, $8.99 a bottle. I figured this would go well with my Palena chicken project entry if I made side dishes with a little zip. It was absolutely wonderful, especially with our 80 degree heat wave.

I'm going back after work tomorrow to pick up some more.