Mama Quan's, Tiki Bar at Clarendon Boulevard and N. Garfield Street in Clarendon - Gone to Avaiki.

So while I was handing out Chorizo Corn Dogs at Taste of Arlington last weekend I ran into a friend of mine whom I attended high school with in Arlington. He is a bartender at Whitlow's and seems to know the in's and outs of the scene better than I do, being 36 and with a 2 month old son seems to make me an 'at home' type of person. His father owns the land where the Aegena taverna once stood, and they are opening up the Tiki bar there hopefully soon. But what interested me overall was the fact that after the weather turns back into Fall, they are going to re-shape the restaurant into a fine dinning establishment. So I guess theya re going to strike the iron when hot. Spring/Summer weather, open a Tiki Bar. Fall/Winter weather, open a fine dinning establishment. Should be fun.

t. Spring/Summer weather, open a Tiki Bar. Fall/Winter weather, open a fine dinning establishment. Should be fun.
Interestingly, last night I walked past the future Tiki bar and wondered how the place would do in the Fall/Winter. I also thought the menu posted was pretty skimpy. Now it makes sense.

I also wonder how the Tiki Bar will affect Clare & Don's.

We went to Mama Quan's for drinks around 9pm on a Saturday night a couple of weekends back. Everyone there also seemed to be there just for drinks, not dinner, though maybe some bar food was ordered, but generally it was like a frat party with 80's music. Though sometimes when we've walked by the outdoor patio area earlier in the evening, it looks like people are eating dinner. We got the Mama Quan's and Papa Quan's tiki drinks, which were $8 each and came in tall plastic tiki glasses. The drinks were ok, nothing special not terrible.

But what interested me overall was the fact that after the weather turns back into Fall, they are going to re-shape the restaurant into a fine dinning establishment.

I noticed when I walked by tonight that Mama Quan's is now closed. There was a sign saying tiki equipment for sale at specified times Fri, Sat, and Sun. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new restaurant is like.