Arganöl

DonRocks

As of last night, I'm the proud owner of a bottle of Arganöl The person who gave me the bottle claims that it's an oil made from nuts: nuts that were eaten, digested and shat out by a goat, and I don't believe it. What is this stuff?

This website might offer some information [and some French practice].

It appears that the arganier is a tree that grows only in specific regions of Morocco and, while there are photos of goats on the website, they are probably there because it says they (along with camels?) eat the leaves and fruit of the tree.

You may have a bottle of cold-pressed oil from the nuts the tree produces, which according to the website, has been known for centuries by the Berbers to have a range of pharmaceutical, dietetic, cosmetic, and food uses.

ETA- here's an English website.

As of last night, I'm the proud owner of a bottle of Arganöl. The person who gave me the bottle claims that it's an oil made from nuts: nuts that were eaten, digested and shat out by a goat, and I don't believe it. What is this stuff?

I have some argan oil too! My sister actually went to Morocco and worked with some of the oil cooperatives as part of a business school project last year. Some oil is traditionally made through that process, but more is made by women physically cracking the nuts.

The oil is great on tajines, perks up salad dressing etc. It's also great blended up with ground almonds and honey in a spread called amlou (and smeared on toast). (Edited to add link found for recipe)

Sounds like my kind of oil. Do you guys want to try it at the picnic?

Oh dear - I should've known better. There's a pic on this site for one of the more well-known argan oil cooperatives in the area. Apparently it's a big deal for opportunities for economic self-sufficiency to women who otherwise might not have them.

The oil has something of an almond taste to me.

As of last night, I'm the proud owner of a bottle of Arganöl. The person who gave me the bottle claims that it's an oil made from nuts: nuts that were eaten, digested and shat out by a goat, and I don't believe it. What is this stuff?
Believe it! Argan oil--this is true! I know now what this stuff is since we got some at Corduroy given by a friend who visited Morocco. But we got help with translation from our Moroccan connection. I tasted it. The color has a brownish viscous hue, a bit nutty bland taste and quite heavy oily in the tongue.