An Interminable Evening At The Kennedy Center

mdt

The astonishing part is not that they sold out the hall, but that they did it at $60-$100/seat. Holy crap!

That is at least six burgers at Palena, or five lickety splits at Eve, or the tasting menu at Komi, all of which will teach and inspire you infinitely more than a couple of hours with these two. Suckers.

Incomprehensible. At least one of them oughta not be wearing pants.
I can't decide which I would least like to see without pants.

The ASAE has been doing these talks for several years now and they almost always sell out. I don't want to go, but I'd love to see who's buying the tickets.

Unbelievable. Sold out the concert hall? And there is no food? what are Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay going to do for two hours? Kennedy Center is lacking ideas. Must be tough with all the excellent theatre in the city, I presume Kennedy Center has to go for larger production type events. But this one really tops it.

Is anyone on DR going? I would just love to know what they are going to do/ Maybe its like an Iron Chef episode.

Unbelievable. Sold out the concert hall? And there is no food? what are Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay going to do for two hours? Kennedy Center is lacking ideas. Must be tough with all the excellent theatre in the city, I presume Kennedy Center has to go for larger production type events. But this one really tops it.

Is anyone on DR going? I would just love to know what they are going to do/ Maybe its like an Iron Chef episode.

I really hope that nobody here shelled out money to hear this...

...as they explore the role of the creative process in their work and delve into how food and wine have brought people together for centuries, connecting diverse cultures and enhancing the richness of life.

I'm not really invested in defending my former employer but in the interest of fairness I will point out that this is not a KC production. This is a group renting the hall. Last year they had Bono speak. There was a time when I would have paid to see him without pants, but those days are long gone.

I cannot imagine how they are going to fill up two hours just talking. Maybe Rachael will giggle a lot, and Bobby will be condescending to her. This might be worth a phone call to see if a friend could get me in.

We have two tickets to this that we're raffling off in Planet Wine this week. All you have to do is buy $50 worth of wine to enter the raffle. I'm thinking if you get drunk enough beforehand on a couple bottles of inexpensive, but quality, wine, the evening wouldn't be too bad! :unsure:

We have two tickets to this that we're raffling off in Planet Wine this week. All you have to do is buy $50 worth of wine to enter the raffle. I'm thinking if you get drunk enough beforehand on a couple bottles of inexpensive, but quality, wine, the evening wouldn't be too bad! :unsure:

If you give me $50 worth of wine, I will consider taking the tickets. ;)

I ended up going to the event last night with some free tickets given to me at the last minute. Due to the storm, Bobby was a no show, but Rachel was as perkey as ever. I actually enjoyed her talk and she was interviewed by Marc Silverstein who hosts the "Best of" show on Food Network. Rachel is the next Martha Stewart, or appears to be aiming for that spot. She is a bit down to earth, admits she is not a chef, but a everyday cook. The evening was fairly enjoyable and she took a lot of questions from the audience. Not worth 100 bucks a ticket, but most of the people there were getting tickets from corporate and association sponsors.

Hey, no offense taken. I just consider the source. :) My post was originally on the "Are you kidding me?" thread, and not this one, because I was just incredulous that I was watching someone mooshing together hamburger meat and hunks (not minced - hunks) of hot dogs and frying them in a pan. Discovering that this was the Rachel Ray about whom everybody is talking so much, made it all that much more mind boggling. I was not judging her entire oeuvre since I've only seen one episode. [although it would appear from that one craptacular episode that the only thing Rachel Ray is broadening is American's derrieres and not the culinary landscape.]
Crackers - I'm glad I have not offended. :)

And yes, there are definetely certain of Rachael's meals where she should drop the "healthy" descriptor. :wub:

For anyone who loves or hates Rachael Ray... this site is for you (Rated R).

If you like some NON-hotdog-infused RR burgers, check these out. Giving specific counter examples is probably a better idea than ad hominem attacks, anyway, right? :)