Airline Food

Kanishka

Looking back on this thread, I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about sous-vide.

A few nights ago, I stumbled into Medium Rare for a quick dinner - I had just come in from Europe that same day, and was so jet-lagged that I was mumbling when I tried to talk, and probably wasn't safe to drive. We were with two children, and snuck in for a quick Steak! Frites! Done!, only to be seated next to a party which included Mark Bucher, Tom Gregg, and Bruno Goussault.

Many of you know Mark and Tom, but not so much Bruno, who is the Chief Scientist for Cuisine Solutions, and widely held as the foremost expert in sous-vide cooking (he's the guy that has coached all the Big Gun chefs - and has been doing this since 1971). Well, just as I was about to sink into a glass of wine and some comfort food to celebrate no longer having to concentrate on a foreign language, Bang!, I'm trying to speak French with Bruno when I'm so loopy I can't even remember my own name. (To anyone who was at that table: sorry for the incoherence!)

Earlier in the day (during which I spent over 16 hours traveling and woke up at 2 AM EST), I was served a chicken dish on a U.S. Air international flight that was just horrible, and I mean everything about it was horrible: the pale green broccoli had the texture of soggy rice, the chipotle sauce had begun to congeal around the chicken, and the mashed potatoes were a bright orange (I'm pretty sure (and desperately hoping) it's because they had cheese in them; they were not yams).

I have no idea if this dish was cooked sous-vide (it was in one of those plastic trays with the peel-off top), but I don't think I've ever had anything sous-vide that was this bad, not even Lean Cuisine. If sous-vide cooking isn't being done for all airlines, hospitals, school cafeterias, prisons, etc., by now, this food would be an excellent example to make a case for it. The big, big sous-vide money cannot possibly be in restaurants ($10 chicken thighs in pepperoni sauce notwithstanding :mellow:); it must surely be in institutions such as this that don't have access to high-quality kitchens and cooks.

I won't even go into the fact that I was being cheap when I ordered this chicken: I'd bought some plastic-wrapped Spanish cheese and vacuum-packed Spanish ham at Duty Free, and decided to save it to have with my son, suffering through this horrible chicken in the process (I originally bought it to eat on the plane). They say honesty is the best policy, and in this particular situation, that proved to be false - I made the mistake of being honest at border control, and said "yes, I have some pasteurized cheese and vacuum-packed ham from Duty Free" when I was asked if I'd brought anything into the country. My customs declaration was marked with a big, green, "1" and at the next station, I was told to go over to a separate section which was almost empty. I was asked again, and said the same thing. "Well, there's good news and bad news: you can keep the cheese, but we have to keep the ham." Moral of the story: if you're bringing back any kind of cured, canned, or preserved meats for personal consumption, then don't say a word. And if you get caught, then play dumb. This was just wrong.

There is a horrible indignity with flying steerage class. Somewhere between being grudgingly coddled with hallow, calloused, court-ordered hands at an institutional daycare and herded with cattle-shaped meat bags at an industrial feedlot, all for just under an insulting price of $1000. No amount of television/movie selections can distract from or relieve the humiliation of feeding time. Paltry, vapid rations befitting and possibly inspired by a refugee camp jail’s infirmary. Sinister airline numbers (space & price) are moving in opposite directions than passengers’ numbers (weight & salary) and we might all benefit from being anesthetized before takeoff and stored like lumber over bedpans. Airline hostesses will then have earned their “flight attendant” re-branding.

I crossed Don’s path going the other direction on US Air and when presented the choice of pasta or chicken with rice the decision was swift and deliberate: avoid any protein from the most soulless, mistreated, inferior, environmentally offending animal and any simple starch that even a revered Top Chef contestant can’t get right. The only immediate regret however was not to have followed mother’s enlightened fuga modus operandi and ordered a special kosher/hindu/vegawhatever meal prior; some lesser of all evils sustenance that generally demands an underpaid laborer’s modest amount of special attention and perhaps respite from the drool inducing tedium of feeding us suckers. The hopelessly naïve neighbor was appropriately and predictably disgusted by her choice of “chicken”, though also confused by underwater cities named “Egypt”, “Bismark” and “Lusitania” on the interactive in-flight map.

The pasta (cheap penne with some tomato sauce or salsa spilled on it, no cheese) was slightly better than the creepy manicotti imposter at Washington Medical Center. The accompanying salad with it’s single slice of cucumber and two currant sized tomatoes could have been squeezed into a thimble. The chewy (possibly undercooked) cookie bar with Lilliputian chocolate chip was alleged to have been “hand made” and the ingredients list went a step further by indicating that said 1oz. slice of dough was “made with love” as well. Cute. $7 for a shitty beer or plonk however is not. I sincerely hope the executive fat cats from airlines who sanction such airway robbery get syphilis and that their internet stops working when they need it most.

“Breakfast” was an affront to the morning ritual, my Danish heritage and Saint Honorius. A limp, doughy something with some shitty pastry cream inside, sealed in a cellophane bag and tossed to me on a napkin like I was some fucking seal with opposable thumbs, manners and a sweet tooth. Coffee would come much, much later. I sincerely hope the executive fat cats from airlines who sanction such food practices get staph infections on their genitals and that their houses burn down.

I seem to recall a time when being a passenger commanded respect and dressing up to fly didn’t mean dressing down to something with an elastic waistband and flip-flops. I remember getting starched on free wine and booze, a suitable portion of stuffed breaded chicken breast for dinner, metal utensils, a less austere salad and a bona fide breakfast in the morning. On a tray. With simple bread. And butter. Or jam! With a cup of orange juice. And a small cup for my coffee. Now I suffer the shame of paying much more for much less.

As for smuggling sundries back, leave with roomy collapsible luggage and check it like any other civilized passenger (1st bag is free on international flights). The extra 20 minutes spent at the carousel will not be in vain and others’ flight doesn’t start and end with an ass in their face while impatient rubes struggle to cram “object A” into smaller “space B”.

I crossed Don’s path going the other direction on US Air and when presented the choice of pasta or chicken with rice the decision was swift and deliberate: avoid any protein from the most soulless, mistreated, inferior, environmentally offending animal and any simple starch that even a revered Top Chef contestant can’t get right. The only immediate regret however was not to have followed mother’s enlightened fuga modus operandi and ordered a special kosher/hindu/vegawhatever meal prior; some lesser of all evils sustenance that generally demands an underpaid laborer’s modest amount of special attention and perhaps respite from the drool inducing tedium of feeding us suckers. The hopelessly naïve neighbor was appropriately and predictably disgusted by her choice of “chicken”, though also confused by underwater cities named “Egypt”, “Bismark” and “Lusitania” on the interactive in-flight map.

The pasta (cheap penne with some tomato sauce or salsa spilled on it, no cheese) was slightly better than the creepy manicotti imposter at Washington Medical Center. The accompanying salad with it’s single slice of cucumber and two currant sized tomatoes could have been squeezed into a thimble. The chewy (possibly undercooked) cookie bar with Lilliputian chocolate chip was alleged to have been “hand made” and the ingredients list went a step further by indicating that said 1oz. slice of dough was “made with love” as well. Cute. $7 for a shitty beer or plonk however is not. I sincerely hope the executive fat cats from airlines who sanction such airway robbery get syphilis and that their internet stops working when they need it most.

Exact same choices (chicken or pasta), and right after being served, I mentioned that we should have requested a vegan meal. Same chocolate brownie-looking thing, except I didn't eat mine because there were no ingredients listed and I assumed it was full of margarine. Same $7 beer (Beck's (which smells like a skunk pissed out Heineken), Bud, or Bud Light) or swill (screw-top mini-bottles of Chilean Pinot Grigio or Merlot, both drinkable only if you're really desperate), but the saving grace was miniatures of Glenlivet 12 for the same price. Did you enjoy your plastic-wrapped dinner roll that had the firmness of a tennis ball? I poked mine through the plastic wrap and didn't even bother opening it.

In my opinion, if you're going to drink on a plane, liquor is usually the way to go.

Now if you're going to EAT on the plane, buying something in the airport terminal is usually marginally better than what you'd get on the plane, unless you're flying internationally. I actually enjoyed the food I had on Korean Air...but that may be an exception to the rule.

Now if you're going to EAT on the plane, buying something in the airport terminal is usually marginally better than what you'd get on the plane, unless you're flying internationally.

My 13-hour flight to Beijing on Friday has no meals. It's economy class on Continental, a side effect of flying on someone else's dime. I'll be packing something decent, I suppose, rather than buying what they want to sell me.

Huh, they actually feed you pretty well in economy on the (also 13 hour) Continental flight from Newark to Delhi. Two choices, veg and non-veg, are both Indian, even though the flight originates in the US, and the quality is surprisingly good. I haven't had the "pleasure" of being fed on a domestic US flight in years, though.

Interesting. This is usually the flight where you get free bowl of ramen in the middle of the night (well, afternoon there). I would call the airline to make sure, as their website shows they do serve complimentary meals on transpacific flights. IIRC, you are better off ordering one of the special meals, but am not sure. I did this a long time ago and felt that my special meal looked and tasted better than fellow passengers...

I saw that on the website as well, but my ETicket is prominently marked "no meals", and there was no place in the reservation system to order a special meal. Maybe this problem is residual from the recent merger with United? I usually order the fruit - it's difficult to mess up fruit - but this time I'll pack some things just in case.

I think it's very likely that the notation on your eticket is wrong. CAL absolutely provides meals on that flight and basically all trans-pac and trans-atl flights. In addition, special meals are offered with 24 hr. notice, including vegan and kosher. Perhaps try a call.

Note that while United and Continental are under common ownership, they have not yet merged and operate independently. They cannot merge until FAA issues them a single certificate, and that is still a while off.

^^^ It turns out that we were all a little bit right and a little bit wrong. There is food on the flight, but because the flight is operated by United, Continental has no way on their website or in their reservation system to access the meal database, so they just marked the ticket "meal: none". I had to call United to figure this out and order the special meal. Merger or no merger, they need to get their stuff together. I imagine I am not the only one with this issue.

In my opinion, if you're going to drink on a plane, liquor is usually the way to go.

Now if you're going to EAT on the plane, buying something in the airport terminal is usually marginally better than what you'd get on the plane, unless you're flying internationally. I actually enjoyed the food I had on Korean Air...but that may be an exception to the rule.

As an aside, I was once bumped up to first class on Air France coming back from Paris about ten years ago, and had a fantastic meal (multi-course, with great bread, terrine of foie gras, a restaurant-quality main (amazing, but true), a cheese course, champagne, vintage classified-growth Bordeaux, etc.). This was the type of meal where you'd gladly pay full boat in a restaurant (but I can't imagine how much a first-class ticket on Air France costs).

Also about ten years ago, I took a train from Lyon to Paris and had a raunchy ham sandwich on the TGV. Well, an hour into the transatlantic flight back from Paris, I started feeling like I was systemically being attacked with a really bad case of the flu (I could tell the ham was bad (it was sort of gray), but I ate it because I was starving), and two hours into the flight, I was sprawled out in the back row (that they had reserved for deathly ill passengers), covered with blankets and thinking I was going to die. I didn't budge for six hours, and they had to poke me when we arrived at Dulles (I heard the flight attendant say, in French, "Is he still breathing?") It was a horrible trip (and if you're friends with Andy or Erin Myers on Facebook, you can see that they're having an even worse night this evening, their last in Florence (ouch!)).

I should add that on that same U.S. Air flight where we had the awful chicken, they sort of took a liking to us and brought out a really, really good cheese plate (obviously from first class - it was Cheesetique-level cheese) and high-quality salted nuts. So the good stuff is there; just not for the groundlings.

I should add that on that same U.S. Air flight where we had the awful chicken, they sort of took a liking to us and brought out a really, really good cheese plate (obviously from first class - it was Cheesetique-level cheese) and high-quality salted nuts. So the good stuff is there; just not for the groundlings.

I fly overseas a lot for work, and have been lucky to be able to, more often than not, upgrade to business class using the copius frequent flier miles accumulated on these trips at a zero-sum rate because they don't charge too damn much to upgrade to the places I fly.

I dare say I'm ruined for steerage.

On my recent flight back from Ghana, United "misplaced" my request for an upgrade, and I was stuck in the back, deeply exhausted after 27 solid days of work and deeply grumpy about it. I picked at my awful dinner, trying to be absorbed in a movie on a 4"x5" screen and annoyed at the cost of booze and the fact that the large man next to me decided that he not only deserved the armrest (he had the middle seat--him getting the armrest was a given) but also six inches of my seat on top of it.

But it was the coffee service pushed me over the edge. Not because it occurred 45 minutes after my tray was cleared and well after the cabin lights were turned off, but rather because the flight attendant managed to spill an entire cup of scalding tea down my arm.

I yelped because it hurt like hell, but luckily I had a shawl on that seemed to wick much of the liquid away. Also luckily: the woman who spilled on me was the purser, which seems to be the only position in the cabin with the power and the desire to do good. While her immediate reaction was unimpressive and just made me a hell of a lot grumpier (though I swear I had started laughing at the absurdity of modern-day air travel by this point), she eventually brought me out an ice pack and apologized profusely that first and business were full, or she would have moved me. About a half an hour later, she asked me if she could get me anything--"a sundae? I'm sure I could scare one up from up front." How about some wine, dear? At which point she swooped back to me with four bottles, poured my choice into a glass (a GLASS glass), and said she'd instructed all the other attendants to keep it full. About a half hour after that (I don't sleep on planes, but was still somewhat annoyed that she kept interrupting my microscopic movie), she brought me a first class toiletry kit and a cheese plate. Okay, that's good. Then a half hour later she brought a card that had a website and a code where I could get my choice of "I'm sorry" gifts once I got home (I picked the 7,000 miles). Then a half an hour later she asked if I'd like some wine. Well, I have a full glass here, I said, but thanks. She said, "No, I mean something to take home. Do you like champagne?" Why yes I do. At which point she brought me a fancy-cellophane-wrapped bottle of Diamant Vranken Brut. (I have no idea what this is, but I've been advised that it's better than plonk.)

Thus ended the last and only acceptable coach flight I've taken in years. And I had to be scalded with cheap tea to get it.

^^^ It turns out that we were all a little bit right and a little bit wrong. There is food on the flight, but because the flight is operated by United, Continental has no way on their website or in their reservation system to access the meal database, so they just marked the ticket "meal: none". I had to call United to figure this out and order the special meal. Merger or no merger, they need to get their stuff together. I imagine I am not the only one with this issue.

With the different computer systems and probably arguing which booking systems, hubs to keep, offices to maintain and whatnot, I think we're looking well into 2012 before there is an actual merge and talking on the same wavelengths. I recently experienced this when my part of my name is different on United compared to Continental, so neither customer service would merge my points account together until I corrected one of them. And then when I tried to correct it with Continental, I was on hold for an hour before I figured out that the account change customer service line was closed for some reason.

I'm thinking of flying my wife and I first class out to Napa for her birthday. Does anyone know of any good domestic first class dining experiences?

Anyone have any tricks for paying less than $2,000 a ticket?

I highly recommend Virgin America's first class, and there are multiple IAD-SFO runs per day. They have become our go-to cross country carrier, and I think are best from a service and amenity perspective. Unfortunately their first class tickets have jumped in price since they debuted - it used to be possible to fly from IAD-SFO for ~$1200 first class. Now it's right around $2k...

Here's a menu sample: Click

I highly recommend Virgin America's first class, and there are multiple IAD-SFO runs per day. They have become our go-to cross country carrier, and I think are best from a service and amenity perspective. Unfortunately their first class tickets have jumped in price since they debuted - it used to be possible to fly from IAD-SFO for ~$1200 first class. Now it's right around $2k...

Here's a menu sample: Click

One trick on Virgin America is that you can upgrade from economy to premium economy exactly 24 hours before your flight, and from either class to first class exactly 6 hours before your flight. For the IAD-SFO route it's $130 to go from coach to premium, and $300 to go from coach to first. Of course, it's subject to availability, though my experience is that the first class seats are generally available exactly 6 hours in advance. So, if you get a roundtrip coach ticket for about $400 roundtrip, you can fly first class for $1000, or about half of the advance first class fare.

One trick on Virgin America is that you can upgrade from economy to premium economy exactly 24 hours before your flight, and from either class to first class exactly 6 hours before your flight. For the IAD-SFO route it's $130 to go from coach to premium, and $300 to go from coach to first. Of course, it's subject to availability, though my experience is that the first class seats are generally available exactly 6 hours in advance. So, if you get a roundtrip coach ticket for about $400 roundtrip, you can fly first class for $1000, or about half of the advance first class fare.

At the risk of labeling myself "not first class," I will give a plug to Virgin America coach class - perfectly nice sandwiches (which you order from a touch-screen menu, along with drinks, snacks etc.), changing from week to week it seems, for not very much money. Other aspects of the flight experience are good too - reliable wifi, nice staff, etc.

Best. Food. Airline: Singapore Air.

And, if picking up food at the airport before boarding, really try to do it at Changi. Nothing else like it in the world.

UAL is a shell of its former self foodwise; especially in domestic business and first classes. But the hubs between which its aircraft fly--ORD, IAD, MIA, DEN, SFO and now HOU and EWR--continue on very consistently...badly.

Whenever possible, I've retrained myself to try and pick up food in whatever city before heading to an airport. As long as it's solid, no problem with security.

Finally, of course here in DC, National is the only tolerable option of the 3 airports.

Best. Food. Airline: Singapore Air.

And, if picking up food at the airport before boarding, really try to do it at Changi. Nothing else like it in the world.

UAL is a shell of its former self foodwise; especially in domestic business and first classes. But the hubs between which its aircraft fly--ORD, IAD, MIA, DEN, SFO and now HOU and EWR--continue on very consistently...badly.

Whenever possible, I've retrained myself to try and pick up food in whatever city before heading to an airport. As long as it's solid, no problem with security.

Finally, of course here in DC, National is the only tolerable option of the 3 airports.

Pssst ... there's also a thread on Airport Food.

we flew in first class from SFO to EWR today and here is what was served:

champagne

mixed nuts

ricotta cheese ravioli, tomato sauce; green salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumber with sesame-ginger vinaigrette; soft roll with butter; peach tart; ice cream sundae

hummus plate with tabbouleh, olives and crackers 

not bad, and slightly better than average.

unfortunately, this was a far cry from the level of luxury you might experience on an international flight 

IMG_9933.jpeg

IMG_9931.jpeg

IMG_9932.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

that’s sauvignon blanc in the glass.

hubby remarked that his chicken with sauce was disappointing by comparison 

the lounge at sfo had average food

IMG_9915.jpeg

vermicelli noodle salad with vegetables 

veggie wrap

brownie

tonic water with lime

barbecue beef

super mayonnaisey coleslaw (the quest for good coleslaw continues)

salsa

baked beans

warm chicken salad

vegetarian chili

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9916.jpeg