Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be here tonight for some dinner at the bar. Come say hello cause I haven't chit-chatted with any Rockwellians since the picnic.

Hanger steak calls my name...

I only saw your post today. We must have missed you. JPW, Peanut and I were also at the bar for dinner. It was packed so it was no wonder we didn't see each other!

I had the smoked salmon. (JPW had the hanger steak :blink: ) What makes this so great are the accompaniments: toast points, cream cheese, onions, black and red caviar, capers. Peanut ate whatever she wanted, including caviar with her fingers. Quite a sight!

I only saw your post today. We must have missed you. JPW, Peanut and I were also at the bar for dinner. It was packed so it was no wonder we didn't see each other!

I had the smoked salmon. (JPW had the hanger steak :blink: ) What makes this so great are the accompaniments: toast points, cream cheese, onions, black and red caviar, capers. Peanut ate whatever she wanted, including caviar with her fingers. Quite a sight!

Is Peanut the little youngin who kept running around and giving kisses to folks at at the bar? I could be TOTALLY wrong - and hilariously so too. But if I am not, we were definitely there at the same time!! My gf and I were sitting at the tables on the back end of the bar area and I had to go for the bistro special with the always amazing steak.

Chocolate cake for two - also amazing.

Is Peanut the little youngin who kept running around and giving kisses to folks at at the bar? I could be TOTALLY wrong - and hilariously so too. But if I am not, we were definitely there at the same time!! My gf and I were sitting at the tables on the back end of the bar area and I had to go for the bistro special with the always amazing steak.

Chocolate cake for two - also amazing.

Yes indeed! We can only entertain her for so long before she's off and running. I know exactly the table you're talking about. Sorry we didn't recognize each other. Next time you see Peanut come over and say hello!

When I was there mid-June, I noticed a sign in the window saying that they wouldn't be doing lunch during the summer.

FYI--the chopped steak dinner is insanely good.

Now that summer has been wrapped up for a while, can anyone let me know if lunch is back on at RTC these days?

Any recent experiences? I'm thinking of making reservations for December.

I've heard some mixed things lately. Should I expect Ray's the Steaks: East? (Actually a good thing in my book, as I really enjoyed RTS when I ate there last) or more of the "classics" atmosphere seen around the opening?

Not that I want all you all showing up and keeping me from my drinking, but fried chicken is now on the bar menu, as part of an expanded $22.95 Ray's: The Bar Bistro Special--soup or salad, hanger, grilled salmon, fried chicken, bacon-wrapped filet medallions, sliced strip (diablo or with mushrooms and onions), jumbo diver scallops (blackened or bacon-wrapped) or giant prawns (garlic and herb or diablo), and dessert. Mon-Fri, open to close , and Saturday and Sunday, when avaible (if prepped).

That's right, Ray's: The Steaks II (Revenge of the Adenoid), aka Ray's: The Classics, aka Ray's: The Dead, is now open on Sundays, 5:30-8:30 for now.

Exotic lentil soup with spicy lamb sausage and New England clam chowder are also back for the winter.

There is a rumor that a certain egg dish may be reappearing as well...

Anyone mentioning "biscuits", unless quoting Digital Underground (in which case you must also recite answer "D"), or "olives" will be soundly thrashed and unceremoniously deposited in the Red Lobster's dumpster.

I mean it.

My coworkers are all asking me why I'm drooling on my desk while staring dreamily at my screen. All I could get out was "...lentil soup....fried....chicken....". None of them have ever been to Ray's, making my joy impossible to fully explain to them.

Michael, you are my hero.

Lentil soup....I have had wet dreams about the lentil soup....we've missed you soooo much...

DanielK - I think we need to just take over the entire bar area for the duration of the AFI's Monty Python festival :blink:

Whoa whoa. there is a Monty Python festival at AFi AND lentil soup and fried chicken are back at Rays? JEHOVAH JEHOVA JEHOVA!!!! Are you effing kidding me?

BTW Amit, JPW, Heather, RKdugg etc. etc. Beth and I were having a patch of homesickness a few weeks ago and were talking about how we missed you guys, the rest of the RTC usual suspects and of course the RTC bar staff. We are coming down to DC for Thanksgiving. If any of you are in town and free on Friday I would love to hit up Ray's (if they are open) and catch up.

We have decided Ray's was like our Cheers. It may not be THE best food in town, or have THE best wine list in town, or have THE coolest decor in town, but they do all of these things very well. More importantly they have the intangibles that I haven't seen anywhere else. Hanging out at the bar felt like going to visit a friend. It was familiar, comfortable and you felt relaxed whether you were in jeans and a Tshirt or a tux. Of course I have known neighborhood bars that had this feeling but I have never found one where you could not only get a first rate meal but the typical bar conversation trended towards the strength of seasonal menus around town as opposed to the strength of the Redskins offensive line. A true restaurant lover's restuarant.

So now that we have moved Ray's is the one place we consistently reminesce about and bitch about not having something similar out here. Even though some of the people who have lived in Silver Spring all their lives will scoff because we were only there a short time, Beth and I loved the neighborhood and really felt like it was "home" more than anywhere else we have lived. It was the first apartment we had together so that has a lot to do with it but to bring this back to food (sorry for the rambling DR...) Ray's was, and still is a symbol and constant reminder to us of how much we miss living there.

Every single time we went there we saw a friend from the neighborhood or made new ones. We miss the sense of community that was always a part of hanging out at the RTC bar but most of all we miss our friends. Sorry for the sap but when Beth and I were making our Thanksgiving travel plans it led into some reminiscing and I felt the need to post here because a significant portion of that reminiscing focused around Ray's in one way or another.

PS. In case any of you were wondering, I am stone cold sober as I write this.

PPS. Don't let Jersey natives fool you Jersey does in fact suck.

PPPS. We will be back....

I haven't seen anything regarding Thanksgiving hours for RtC. Wasn't it closed last year to give the employees some time off? But if it's open on Friday night, then Lisa and I will be there to catch up with you.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. I think last year part of the reason they had off was due to the crazy opening schedule a few months earlier. I will try and remember to call tomorrow and see if they will even be open.

BTW Amit, JPW, Heather, RKdugg etc. etc. Beth and I were having a patch of homesickness a few weeks ago and were talking about how we missed you guys, the rest of the RTC usual suspects and of course the RTC bar staff. We are coming down to DC for Thanksgiving. If any of you are in town and free on Friday I would love to hit up Ray's (if they are open) and catch up.
Blake, honey, we miss you too. And Beth. Unfortunately we will be out of town on Friday.

The devilishly good eggs are back.

RtC is open during normal business hours this weekend. The lentil soup is better than I remember (even smokier with cumin) as were the devilishly good eggs. The coulotte is on the bar menu with limited availability (not to be confused with the colette, so stop wetting your pants). The bar menu continues to make it difficult for me to venture into the dining room.

Blake (and anyone else venturing to RtC tonite) - we've got another commitment in the late afternoon and we'll try to be at the bar around 8pm. See you there.

do tell...

The Washington Post realized they made a misteak and have formed a picket line outside until you advertise in the Sunday magazine???

What I won't do for a night off.

Ray's: The Classics is closed tonight due to circumstances beyond our control.

When we will re-open depends on whether I choose to forfeit my amateur status.

I will say that the idea of turning pro and having two nights off a week is mighty tempting at this point.

What I won't do for a night off.

Ray's: The Classics is closed tonight due to circumstances beyond our control.

When we will re-open depends on whether I choose to forfeit my amateur status.

I will say that the idea of turning pro and having two nights off a week is mighty tempting at this point.

According to someone on the telephone from RtC, the reason for the closing was a gasline break. So we went to RtS instead and had the usual fine meal -- hangar steak, filet and entrecote, all just right. A waitress told us that Michael had been there earlier but bolted out in late afternoon showing signs of consternation. I hope the problem lends itself to an easy solution. I hate it when restaurants I'm eating in explode into smithereens.

We will be open for business as usual tonight. I maintain my amateur status, for the meantime.

If "amateur" is your current level of performance, please keep it up until at least next Monday when I come in with a few friends. Nothing needs changing, from my standpoint, especially not that lentil soup :( .

I made my first trip here this last Monday for the bar special. I've been to Ray's the Steaks about six times and was initially shocked at the huge difference in ambiance. We sat at the bar and were the only people in there from 7 to 8:30. Even though it was a Monday I can't believe this place isn't packed to the rafters every night.

We started with the devilishly good eggs to start. I liked the concept with the eggs but I would have been just as happy with a pile of the tartare. I had the lentil soup which had a great balance of spice from the sausage and cumin. I can understand the prior raves for it now. My dad had the Cesar salad and asked for extra anchovies. They brought a small ramekin of the brined white anchovies which I thought was a great touch. For mains I had the fried chicken and he had the hangar steak with garlic. The chicken was a huge portion and pan fried to perfection. It'll be interesting to compare it to the chicken at Colorado Kitchen next week. The hangar steak was cooked to perfection as usual with that great beefy tang that Ray's always seems to deliver. The potatoes and spinach were excellent as always as well. We finished up with the coconut cake and key lime pie. The bill for all of this plus a decently priced Vacqueryas was a steal.

I'm really tempted to go back this week to see The Darjeeling Limited at the AFI and have another meal at the bar.

My husband and I had a good meal here Saturday night at the bar. We are looking forward to the left overs tonight. However, the service at the bar did not seem adequate. We sat with empty glasses from our first drink for what seemd like 15 minutes while the two bartender's seemed overwhelmed. During the time we sat at the bar with the empty glasses there were only two other couples and a single at the bar. This was early in the evening, but it seemed to me they need an extra man there. As the bar was filling up the other bartender was taking orders from the tables, so essentially it is only one bartender mixing drinks, serving his waiters and tending to diners. Not only that but we would have ordered another drink each and maybe another glass of wine, but during the 2 hours we were there it was to hard to get their attention.

Service at Ray's: The Classics has always been a great challenge, one met with varying degrees of success, but always with genuine effort and concern. In the case of the bar and lounge area it largely a matter of economics: there are precisely 97 minutes over the course of each week when a third person in the lounge is necessary, not enough to provide a decent livelihood for a team of three. I try to fill that gap, but am not always able to.

I do have significant plans in the works to adress this matter, and service overall, in a positive and conclusive manner, and hopefully the results will be felt shortly.

My apologies for any shortcomings, and my thanks for any understanding. Please know that it is not for lack of trying.

I thought that may be the case and the fact that we came at the beginning of service may have contributed further to that. Thanks for your reply. Michael, if you see this, I have a question. I like a richer piece a meat-okay a piece of meat with a little fat on it. I love a bone in rib-eye or any peice of red meat on the bone. Other than the Cowboy which is just too big for me- what would you suggest on your menu to order. Although the strip is delicious - it is denser than I like even medium rare. TIA

Speaking of service: I was in late last night in the middle of the "snow storm" and had a great service experience that I wanted to share. Jason was wonderful! If you don't know him, which incredibly I didn't (incredibly given how often I am at RTC), Jason is one of the cooks but was regularly out front to deliver plates to customers. I was at the bar by myself and he was cheerful and attentive.

I had the lentil soup--MMMmmmm. The perfect food for a cold winter night. And the bacon wrapped scallops, which I love. Extremely tender.

I thought that may be the case and the fact that we came at the beginning of service may have contributed further to that. Thanks for your reply. Michael, if you see this, I have a question. I like a richer piece a meat-okay a piece of meat with a little fat on it. I love a bone in rib-eye or any peice of red meat on the bone. Other than the Cowboy which is just too big for me- what would you suggest on your menu to order. Although the strip is delicious - it is denser than I like even medium rare. TIA

Hanger, hanger, hanger. There is no external fat, but it is so richly and intensely flavored that it needs none. Also, with our aging, while still not filet-tender, the hanger is significantly more tender than any you may have enjoyed previously.

Another option is to ask if any "sidekicks" or "between-the-bones" are available, both of which come from the same bone-in rib as the cowboy.

The sidekick is a bone-in rib that weighs less than what we allow for the Cowboy--which typically weighs 30-32 ounces, but must weigh at least 28 ounces to be sold as a Cowboy. Any less and it is a sidekick. The sidekick, then, is typically 25-28 ounces on the bone. Keep in mind that the typical steakhouse charges $35-$45 for their bone-in rib which is advertised as 24-26 ounces. Our 30 ounce Cowboy (which is the same cut as the Cote de Boeuf for two at Les Halles) is $31.95, and the smaller sidekick is discounted to $28.95 for being only somewhat larger than other steakhouse's standard cut.

A between-the-bone is a cut that is rarely available, but is my favorite. It is cut from between two Cowboys when the rib is running exceptionally large and has all the close-to-the-bone extra fatty goodness and meaty bits of a Cowboy. Typically, it will be 16 ounces (the same weight as our rib-eye, but thinner and with less pure meat yield) and would typically cost $23.95 ($19.95 if it is less than 16 ounces but more than 14). It is likely that your server will not know what you are talking about if you ask for this cut, so if I am not in the restaurant, please don't feel put out if your request for it can not be responded to knowledgeably.

Hanger, hanger, hanger. There is no external fat, but it is so richly and intensely flavored that it needs none. Also, with our aging, while still not filet-tender, the hanger is significantly more tender than any you may have enjoyed previously.

Another option is to ask if any "sidekicks" or "between-the-bones" are available, both of which come from the same bone-in rib as the cowboy.

The sidekick is a bone-in rib that weighs less than what we allow for the Cowboy--which typically weighs 30-32 ounces, but must weigh at least 28 ounces to be sold as a Cowboy. Any less and it is a sidekick. The sidekick, then, is typically 25-28 ounces on the bone. Keep in mind that the typical steakhouse charges $35-$45 for their bone-in rib which is advertised as 24-26 ounces. Our 30 ounce Cowboy (which is the same cut as the Cote de Boeuf for two at Les Halles) is $31.95, and the smaller sidekick is discounted to $28.95 for being only somewhat larger than other steakhouse's standard cut.

A between-the-bone is a cut that is rarely available, but is my favorite. It is cut from between two Cowboys when the rib is running exceptionally large and has all the close-to-the-bone extra fatty goodness and meaty bits of a Cowboy. Typically, it will be 16 ounces (the same weight as our rib-eye, but thinner and with less pure meat yield) and would typically cost $23.95 ($19.95 if it is less than 16 ounces but more than 14). It is likely that your server will not know what you are talking about if you ask for this cut, so if I am not in the restaurant, please don't feel put out if your request for it can not be responded to knowledgeably.

Now THAT'S a great tip and explanation. I see a sidekick in my future.

Pax,

Brian

For those of y'all who have been on Friday nights, at what time does it become difficult to find seats in the bar area without having to wait? Assume party of two.

It's been far too long since I've been, and the new bar special is making it tough to choose which items to order!

[packet]Remote voice-recognition mess-

age retrieval invoked, 15:42 PM EST, Copyright 2007, Otic Software, Inc.

One beat

Wean the bone

Avail a bull tonight,

Tom met your pack

Itches red, he.

[packet]End retrieval phase, begin optional

response segment

:(

[packet]End of session

ML, I tried to PM you but it says your inbox is full. I will be in tomorrow night and would love to try either the sidekick or a between-the-bones cut. If I ask the bartender (his name escapes me right now), will he know what I am talking about or should I try to find you if you're in house?

Thanks.

It seems that every time I go to Ray's the Classics, I fall in love all over again and wonder why I don't go there more often. With the recent addition of the outstanding bar bistro special, I no longer have any reasonable excuse not to go(except perhaps my lack of self-control with such tasty food).

I went last night with my +1 and another couple for a low-key birthday dinner, and we all decided to try the bar special since the lounge area was not very busy. Despite that it was only the bartender(didn't catch his name) working the area, service was very friendly and efficient as always at RTC, and he was calm , friendly and professional the entire night with us and the other people eating or drinking at the bar, never overwhelmed and with no mishaps in course delivery or timing of service/clearing/refills.

We began with a very decent bottle of Chianti and my +1's usual Cosmo(she loves them there). Although I tried to restrain myself, I do love their spicy cashews and the salted focaccia was also delicious. The other couple is Italian, and the wife was particularly impressed with the bread. None of us were able to resist asking for a bit more of the nuts and of course the bread, as it was wonderful for soaking up flavors from the appetizers and entrees.

After reading the rave reviews about the Lentil Soup with Spicy Lamb Sausage, I had to order it. This is perhaps one of the best soups I've had in the past year, particularly suited for the winter season. The lentils were hearty and well-cooked, with a surprising amount of lamb sausage mixed in. The sausage itself was not too dense had a wonderful mild flavor that went well with the lentils, providing a nice level of heat and flavor that worked with the soup instead of overpowering it. I'd go back just for a large bowl of the soup alone(with some bread of course) and be perfectly content. Two orders of the Crab Bisque were well-received and were blessed with a generous amount of crab meat, but I can't personally comment on them as I have an aversion to seafood. The Mixed Green Salad was had by our fourth, and he commented it had a nice balance of balsamic vinagrette and greens.

Now, the main reason I love RTC's is that they consistenly offer excellent cuts of beef at ridiculously reasonable prices, while cooking the meat perfectly to order every time. My +1 and I each ordered the Hanger Steak with the mushroom cream sauce. In summary, Delicious. The portion was huge considering the bargain price of the bar special, well-cooked, and most importantly, tasted of quality beef that was easy to cut into and seemed to melt in your mouth after those wonderful first moments of carnivore mastication. The Mushroom Sauce itself was also a step up from the last time I had ordered it, and hopefully they'll continue this rendition, as it was a very nice accompaniment to the steak and mashed potatoes. Also new to me was the 3rd side of of Garlic Mashed Potatoes, which was delivered to our table with the traditional Spinach and Mashed Potatoes. All three were great and well received by all. The other couple had the Bacon-Wrapped Filet Medallions and Chopped Steak. All I can say on these is that they disappeared before I was able to tear myself away from my loaded plate, and both were given rave reviews.

Finally, we tried to completely stuf ourselves with some dessert. I'm a sucker for Key Lime Pie, having grown up in Miami making frequent pilgrimages to the Blond Giraffe and other local sources. I've had the RTC version several times in the past, and last night's continued the homestyle flavor. Buttery graham cracker crust, with a generously thick portion of key lime custard served atop,lightly baked and properly chilled, with a very nice vanilla whipped cream on the side. Although I think they could use some more tartness in their recipe, it was still a very very good rendition and one the rest of my companions approved of. Two order of pie and two order of berries and cream(also tasty) all good enough to be consumed on top of the large meal by our table.

In summary, while RTC was already a great deal before, but with the addition of the bar bistro special, anyone who hasn't gone in a while or has never been needs to go and experience it for yourself. I'm seriously debating making it a weekly trip to take different friends so we can all enjoy a lovely dinner at a bargain price, while supporting Michael and his staff for their generosity in keeping RTC a real gem of a restaurant in MoCo.