Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

'twas Kismet that, in the summer of 2001 and shortly out of college, I moved into the Summit Village apartments (now the lovely Rosslyn Heights).

First I found Pho 75 (because of my wallet) and was thrilled. Then came Guajillo (again, the wallet) and their magic mole. I avoided Ray's for about 6 months because a shotgun restaurant in an Arlington strip mall with prices of $19.95 for a 14oz (I think it was 14) strip topped with sauteed garlic and inclusive of mashed potatoes and creamed spinach was obviously serving horse and passing it off as cow.

I don't personally care much about the philosophical reasons for Michael's choices. I just love outstanding food and he makes the best steaks around. It used to matter to me that they were a helluva bargain as well - it doesn't anymore, and now I live downtown. I will still go to Arlington before I go to 19th st because his food is better.

Married to my high school sweetheart and with a beautiful baby girl and a good job, I have few regrets in my life...save those 6 months of avoiding Ray's.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we can get out of the city from work or other parts of the county with our hovering cars ?Are you suggesting that traffic is a breeze beucase there is a parking lot ? On another note why the valet parking originally if there was an abundence of free parking ?

GMAFB, In the original post I believe he was calling out those that make a reservation and then slowly trickle in over the next hour, thus screwing up the reservation book. How about folks doing the unthinkable and actually being a little less self centered and providing some info. Folks can pick up the cell phone and give the restaurant a quick call letting them know of the delay. I certainly know that I have had to do it when encountering unexpected traffic. Should I even mention being considerate and intelligent enough to leave enough time for travel?

[Alright, I'm stepping in. I'm growing bored with this discussion - all aspects of it - and anyone who wants to continue these tangential lines of subject matter, does so at peril of having their posts moved and/or deleted. Carry on if you wish, but I'm not going to have this thread diluted with any more crap than it already has. I don't mean to be cranky, but this is ridiculous.]

To Her Coy Grill Chef

Had we but steak enough, and time,

This hanger, Michael, were no crime.

We would sit down and think "which way

To Ray's?" and pass our hungers' day.

Thou by the Japanese Wagyu's side

Shouldst ribeye find; I by a side

of Holstein would complain. I would

Love you ten years before the food,

And you should, if you please, refuse

Til the published Post review.

My vegetable love should grow

Mashed-er than potatoes, and more slow;

An hundred years should go to praise

Thine ribeyes and on spinach graze;

Two hundred mac-n-cheese to eat,

and crab bisque, chowder, lentils - sweet!,

Well-aged at least is every part

And the last call will show your heart.

For, Michael, you deserve this steak,

Nor would I eat at lower rate.

But in the lounge I always hear

Time's winged chariot hurrying near,

And yonder all before us lie

Desserts of vast eternity.

Thy Key lime pie no more be found,

Nor, in thy chiller vault, shall sound

My echoing song: then I shall loose

That long-preserved chocolate mousse,

And your tiger butter turned to dust,

And into ashes all my lust:

Your stove's a fine and fiery place,

But desserts there do not embrace.

Now therefore, while a rosy hue

Lies in the char like bloody dew,

And while diablo steak transpires

To make us sweat with instant fires,

Now let us eat steak while we may,

And now, like ravenous birds of prey,

Rather at once our meat devour

Than languish in our slow-chapt power.

Let us roll all our leftovers

Into one bag of carryout,

And heave our bellies with rough strife

Down Colesville Road, and get a life:

Thus, though we cannot make our mouths

Stay still, yet we will let them run.

Had a great late dinner at the bar last night after seeing a movie. The hangar steak was phenomenal as usual but the highlight was the chopped steak with a brandy peppercon sauce and bacon on top. My 6'6" 280# brother was only able to finish about half of it and happily took home the rest for lunch. Both of our meals with a decent bottle of Gigondas and tip was under $100. I don't know how Michael keeps the quality so high and the prices so reasonable.

Fried Chicken—real fried chicken—is a dish I've only trusted my Mother and Grandmother to do. Being of a southern and west Indies origin, I am skilled at frying fish, but have never been able to master my southern roots fried chicken skill. I have the burn marks and my Mother's disapproval to prove it.

I've had fried chicken that was earnest in proving itself with thick crusty skins or abundant and insistent flavors. They were not fried chicken. They were not the fowl I remember being pulled from my family's black skillet. The kind of chicken that is made with flour, a few seasonings and tossed in a brown paper bag and fried to a crispness that is somehow light and greaseless. The white meat juicy and right. And (what is missed most in recipes), an aroma that is seductive and commanding.

Last night, with my two good friends, I enjoyed the best yard bird I've had since leaving North Carolina at 18. I've waited for over a year to eat at RTC and it was worth it. Though I bake for ShoeBox Oven in the RTC's kitchen at night after the crew is gone and the lights are off, I've never really been able to know what kind of personality the restaurant evoked during dining hours. Fried chicken, peach bellinis, high jazz, the lights of the AFI theater, and the energetic buzz of night time downtown Silver Spring, made this a meal I will always appreciate. It was a generous night.

Knowing how dedicated Landrum and his team work, made it even more special for me.

Thank you so much for everything Michael.

ShoeBoxOven - without seeming overly obsequious, I would like to add that whether steak or fried chicken is the entree of choice, your coconut cake is a picture perfect end to a meal at RTC. And I don't normally like coconut cake...

DK, I dont like coconut cake either. If it wasn't for RTC I would never had starting baking cakes in the first place. So I am glad you, like me, have come to enjoy the coconut cake.

I went to Ray's the Classics on Friday night and it did not disappoint. I've been to Ray's the Steaks a few times; I've always enjoyed the food but Ray's the Classics really made the total experience! Everything was delicious -- I had the crab bisque and the culotte steak special for the evening, which arrived with sauteed mushrooms and a porcini mushroom sauce. Not only was our server super friendly and helpful, we were also paid visits by the owner/chef, manager, and several other servers. All were attentive without being overbearing. I will definitely be back!

Love the cozy booths too and the variety of seating options throughout the restaurant. I have noticed that the walls at both Ray's the Steaks and the Classics are a bit sparse and my only (minor) suggestion is to get some great artwork to complete the atmosphere!

Excuse my laziness in not looking back over this entire thread, but what does the wait look like on a Friday night? I think we could get there by about 6 or 6:30pm.

With the expanded bar table area, I'm not sure anymore, but that's a tough time. Did you try calling for a reservation?

When I called for a last minute reservation for Saturday, I was told that they reserve half of the dining room for walk-ins.

We arrived Saturday at 6 and were seated with no problems.

By the time we left at 7:45, the place was mostly filled.

(The sidekick is an awesome piece of meat and provided 3 meals for me...)

Had a very enjoyable birthday dinner at RTC last night with family and friends. We had the whole private room to ourselves, and Michael not only found the time to stop by and chat a few times, but sent out so many goodies while we were reading the menu, that I was mostly full by the time my steak arrived! Besides the usual excellent steaks and such, I will say that the Devilishly Good Eggs continue to earn their name, the (new?) wedge salad with blue cheese and bacon is not only excellent but twice the size it needs to be, and the hanger steak and fried chicken appeared on the dinner (not bar) menu.

It's funny Although Ray's the Classics is almost in my backyard (well not really but we're talking about Takoma here) and have be I've read some of the rave reviews I'd never been until now and it's annother place I regret not discovering sooner.

I went with my fiancee, mother in law to be and his two sisters. The food was excellent, especially the wedge salad (which to my delight was not overdressed), NY strip and the infamous fried chicken. That fried chicken was a shining example of what fried chicken ought to be. The complimentary side dishes were also wonderful. I really like how the spinach was creamy but not overly creamy. The mashed potatoes were also great, creamy but their flavor didn't overpower the meats.

For desert I shared a chocolate mouse and the other guys had cheesecake from the Carnegie Deli in New York. Yum!

And I received great service, very attentive, polite and unobtrusive. (although I've noticed I've had a history of recieing good service even at places where plenty of others have complained about it, ie Colorado Kitchen, Babbo, etc. it must be the cute face)

Funny moment, as we exited I noticed that there was a signed menu in the window and I was looking at it more to see what the menu had been like in the earlier months. The maitre'de came out and said it was David Lynch who had premiered a movie across the street at AFI and had signed the menu for them when he ate there aftewards.

Reading the comments from the Mac & Cheese thread made me hungry to have some this past Friday. ;)

Stopped by RTC mid-evening Friday and sat at the bar. Took advantage of the bar-special of Chopped Steak meal [Medium rare with the brandied mushroom sauce, and included soup/salad] for $16 with an extra side of the 4-Cheese Mac & Cheese. [glad I worked out earlier that night lol]

Hmmmmmmm, forgot how excellent this deal was. Chowda was a pretty decent rendition. Chopped steak served perfectly medium rare with the plentiful chunks of pork, sauteed onions, and the mushroom sauce tasted fantastic together. Included mini-sides of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes were just liked others have described earlier. And the Mac & Cheese, yum! Good cheese consistency and piping hot. Had a draft of Amber Lager to wash it down.

Needless to say, had too much left over & ask John the bartender [very pleasant, and gave me a nice amount of attentiveness] to box them up. No rush to leave so I grabbed a cup of Joe. Hung around long enough that John was able to convince me to grab dessert [at that moment, I was really happy that I worked out to cushion the calories I ate that night], and I chose the Key Lime pie. Nice and tart, liked but had me thinking of Bobby's CrabCakes version. Think I do like Bobby's better but might try to compare Bobby's version once more soon.

Outta there for a little over $30 + tax/tip, with a huge portion of leftovers for 2 meals. That's a deal!

My wife and I met some friends at Rays for dinner the other night. As always the dinner was great, however, the rack of lamb is why I’m writing…it was nothing short of spectacular. As a lover of the ovine, I’ve had some great lamb, but the rack I had at Rays ranks near if not at the top. I do hope that Michael makes it a permanent addition to the menu.

We miss having liquor drinks at the bar, but beer selection and John's great conversation almost makes up for it!

Sunday night - Ray's the Classics for the first time. I had the crab bisque to start. For the entree, I ordered the ribeye and asked for a peppercorn crust, which I then regretted. I love pepper, but this was a bit overpowering for me. Though it did pair nicely with my zin. I also had a couple pieces of the fried chicken, and it is as good as everyone has reported before. Key lime pie for dessert. And then the food coma set in...

The New York Strip and the Filet Mignon have much better Surface Area to Steak Thickness ratios for the peppercorn crust--I'm sure Jake can come up with the mathematical formula to describe this. The Diablo or Blackened preparations are designed to compliment and heighten the marbling of the Rib-Eye and are the best options for an extra kick to your Rib Eye, without the spice overpowering the natural flavor.

The New York Strip and the Filet Mignon have much better Surface Area to Steak Thickness ratios for the peppercorn crust--I'm sure Jake can come up with the mathematical formula to describe this. The Diablo or Blackened preparations are designed to compliment and heighten the marbling of the Rib-Eye and are the best options for an extra kick to your Rib Eye, without the spice overpowering the natural flavor.

Yeah, I kind of figured that was the case. It was a bad decision on my part. I usually prefer my steaks plain anyway, so I'm not sure what compelled me to order it that way. But don't worry, I'll be back. The cut itself was great, and so was everything else I tried. And there was plenty more on the menu that I'd like to try soon...

A friend and I went to Ray's The Classics last Friday and were rewarded with a nice meal. I began with a cup of the crab bisque and it was delicious--smooth and full of crabmeat. When it came to appetizers, he got the Cajun ribeye while I opted for a unadorned ribeye (with horseradish sauce). Mine was excellent and I didn't hear any complaints on his side.

All in all a fine experience. I might add that I have tried the steak au poivre before and enjoyed it a great deal. It had a nice kick but the pepper didnt overwhelm the meat.

Um would you believe I meant something else? ;)
Yeah I figured it was just a typo but I was hoping to turn you into a chuck norris/bill braski type figure.

"Did you know that Sphere777 eats a 64 oz. steak as an appetizer at Ray's? The entree is a whole spit roasted angus steer. It used to be more before the stomach stapling though."

"Yeah well I heard Sphere777 beat Kobayashi in a hot dog eating contest by 33 dogs, and as soon as the contest was over, devoured Kobayashi. "

First post from a long time lurker.

Count me in as another who has seen the light about Ray's. My mother and I ate in the bar there last Saturday night and it was fabulous. The spiced cashews as a complimentary nibble were an indicator of the outstanding meal to come. She had the onion soup and I had the wedge salad. OMG, that had to be the best wedge salad I've ever had. The bacon was a great accent and the blue cheese dressign was just the right amount for the entire salad. Mom had the NY Strip and I had the special that was a smaller version of the Cowboy. Both steaks were amazing. The onions and the horseradish sauce that accompanied the cowboy were excellent. It was also nice to have a lighter version of creamed spinach. We finished off the evening with the coconut cake. We had enough leftovers for another two lunches. My only regret (not issue ;) ) was not explicitly requesting that the onions be included when wrapping up my steak. I'd assumed that I wouldn't get the horseradish sauce, but thought the onions would have been in the box.

As I'd expected from the previous posts, I knew this would be a great "value for money" restaurant with outstanding food and service, but I was still amazed at how good of a value it was. I will definitely be back and this restaurant is tops on my list of places to take my out of town guests even if it is a bit of a hike from where I live.

Now that crab season is upon us, we have substantially lowered the price of the Crab Royale, and are now offering two sizes--a 7-Ounce for $20.95 and a 10-Ounce for $26.95. The crab is coming in beautifully now, though it is still Louisiana/Texas as well as Maryland.

We are also now able to include the 7-Ounce Crab Royale on the 3-course Bistro Menu for $23.95.

Now that crab season is upon us, we have substantially lowered the price of the Crab Royale, and are now offering two sizes--a 7-Ounce for $20.95 and a 10-Ounce for $26.95. The crab is coming in beautifully now, though it is still Louisiana/Texas as well as Maryland.

We are also now able to include the 7-Ounce Crab Royale on the 3-course Bistro Menu for $23.95.

You make it near impossible to stick to my plan of saving money and eating healthy.

I'll see you in a couple hours.

You make it near impossible to stick to my plan of saving money and eating healthy.

I'll see you in a couple hours.

Say hi next time. smile.gif

I once went out and got hit by a train. While waiting to be ferried over to the Elysian fields, a bearded gentleman floated by and handed me a pamphlet.

"For a Limited Time Only: We're offering you Three! Free! Movies! which you may keep and enjoy for the rest of eternity!"

I got up and walked over to the video store, seemingly larger than Potomac Mills, with shelves of movies extending further than the eye could see. There was a man working behind the counter, taking requests for the three desert-island films. Eventually, I got to the front of the line.

"I can't decide between 'Offret' by Andre Tarkovsky, and 'Tous les Matins du Monde' by Alain Corneau," I told him.

He replied without looking up. "Very well, we have both. And your third selection?"

"Licking Lesbians."

We had a really nice birthday dinner for my mom last night at Ray's The Classics, with the Cowboy Cut as good as ever, and yes I finished mine with gusto, fervor, and zest.

I let Michael know we were coming, because I wanted to make sure we got a quiet table. "Would a slice of cake for your mom cross the boundary?" he asked. Nope! Not for her birthday - and he generously brought out a Champagne toast, too.

All three of us raved about our steaks (a sidekick for mom, an onglet for sis). Those two have enough leftovers for a week.

My mom never drinks, but when she does? Look out. The three of us polished off a really good bottle of 2005 Voillot Volnay Vielles Vignes, Vintage 59 Imports (Roy Cloud's company, and yes, that's 5 V's in a row) at the very attractive price of $62. And then we got another, which we barely dented before recorking it and taking it to-go.

"Donald, that was the best wine I've ever had," she said. "How about letting me keep it in my refrigerator?"

How could I say no? Happy birthday, mom!

Cheers!
Your son. smile.gif

P.S. I hope you don't ever read this.

Granted, this is the age of the readerly text, but one is dying to know what the author's intention might have been in prefacing an unabashedly affective anecdotal restaurant review with a past-life narrative that demonstrates one's ability to move fluidly from High to Low Culture? ;)

Granted, this is the age of the readerly text, but one is dying to know what the author's intention might have been in prefacing an unabashedly affective anecdotal restaurant review with a past-life narrative that demonstrates one's ability to move fluidly from High to Low Culture? ;)
I believe that's called a "McGuffin"...

That 10 oz crab royale is so good. All of the goodness of eating crab without any of the work in shelling it. Huge chunks of crabmeat. Thanks, Michael. Biscuit Girl had the Culotte special which was good then, and good a day later for leftover lunch. We kept trading bites back and forth in an impromptu surf and turf.

Which makes me think: he has steak, crab, but is there hollendaise sauce? This could be a wicked good steak oscar.

We had a nice meal at RTC last night. It was my cousin's birthday, so we started with a sparkling rose. The Gruet -- a sentimental favorite for us, as we served it at our wedding in New Mexico -- was out, but we substituted one made completely from pinot noir, which was very blackberry :lol: We started with salad and deviled eggs (wow!). She and Tripewriter both had steaks, and I had the fried chicken. We also had a crab cake -- not really a cake, but what crab! We finished with key lime pie and a deadly chocolate cake. Breakfast this morning was a slice of coconut cake that I couldn't resist ordering to go with our leftovers...

Last Friday, the Bistro special again: bisque, hanger, float. Is there a more effective way to spoil yourself in this town for less than two yuppie foodstamps?

Maybe - order key lime pie instead of the float. But it's a close thing.

Michael, Michael, Michael. We've got to talk sometime about what people mean when they complain that Rays isn't on "The Net".

I'm writing to clarify, and while I'm at it, get the state of the bar bistro menu at RTC.

Is everything still in effect as Michael originally laid out in November?

Fried chicken is now on the bar menu, as part of an expanded $22.95 Ray's: The Bar Bistro Special--soup or salad, hanger, grilled salmon, fried chicken, bacon-wrapped filet medallions, sliced strip (diablo or with mushrooms and onions), jumbo diver scallops (blackened or bacon-wrapped) or giant prawns (garlic and herb or diablo), and dessert. Mon-Fri, open to close, and Saturday and Sunday, when available (if prepped).

And the recent addition of:

And let me sure I've got this straight. This offer is good M-F guaranteed. It's only on Saturdays and Sundays that there could be a problem, due to lack of preparation.

And now for the embarrassing question: What is the definition of a crab royale??

Cheers and thanks.

In the last 10 days I have dined in every Ray's establishment. Last Tuesday-RTS, Sunday-Hell Burger, last night was my final stop- RTC. My arteries are mad at me but it's so worth it. Watching a movie at AFI is really just an excuse to go to RTC. The bar menu is still an amazing deal- $23.95 got me a cup of clam chowder filled with clams and lots of bacon. The crab royale was a very generous portion, in past visits I thought I detected more of a mustard flavor that helped cut some of the richness. Don't know if the recipe has been tweaked or my memory is just off. Finished with the dark chocolate mousse. If I lived in Silver Spring I'd be here every night.

In the last 10 days I have dined in every Ray's establishment. Last Tuesday-RTS, Sunday-Hell Burger, last night was my final stop- RTC. My arteries are mad at me but it's so worth it. Watching a movie at AFI is really just an excuse to go to RTC. The bar menu is still an amazing deal- $23.95 got me a cup of clam chowder filled with clams and lots of bacon. The crab royale was a very generous portion, in past visits I thought I detected more of a mustard flavor that helped cut some of the richness. Don't know if the recipe has been tweaked or my memory is just off. Finished with the dark chocolate mousse. If I lived in Silver Spring I'd be here every night.

I would head to Ray's for that Crab Royale even if it was the only thing worth eating on the menu (thankfully it's not!). Last night was my first time at RTC (say hi next time :lol: ), and while I loved the steaks, sides, key lime pie, etc., I have to say, the crab stole the show for me. Fresh, huge lumps of well seasoned crab, with what tasted like a hint of Old Bay - All in a giant, beautiful pile. Best crab I've had that I didn't pull out of the shells myself. If you're a crab lover, you must try the Crab Royale here. And to echo the comments above, eating at the bar for $23.95 is a ridiculous deal. I wish I lived closer, too!

Nice birthday dinner at RTC last night, first time there. Started with the Devilishy Good Eggs, which live up to their name (though we found the finely minced yolks messy to eat). Bob had the ribeye with horseradish cream, huge, perfect sear, lovely medium rare. I had the 10-oz. crab royale, which was excellent, but something I think I would enjoy more as an appetizer than as an entree--Bob's steak looked better and better throughout the meal. We were stuffed at the end, but they comped us a good-size piece of cheesecake as birthday dessert--dense, lightly lemony, not the best I've had but respectable. Excellent service, a nice light shiraz-cab blend complimented it all well. A good night.

BTW, we did wind up stopping by Nicaro for drinks beforehand--all cocktails are $6 on Thursdays. We each had pisco sours, nice and lightly tart, made with a locally made pisco. Worth seeking out.

News for those who believe it is a crime to serve a hamburger without beer:

We will, beginning tonight, be serving our Butcher Burgers at Ray's: The Classics in the bar and lounge area. Not all of the toppings or cheeses at Ray's Hell will be available at The Classics, at least for now, but all the standard choices for a great steakhouse burger will be.

Reservations available.

Also, of interest perhaps to others:

We are now serving cocktails, liquor and full bar at Ray's: The Classics. I am happy to say that the factors which forced the original decision to take a hiatus from full bar have now been addressed--that and now that Redwood is open in Bethesda, the waters are a bit safer over my way, and I can breathe a sigh of relief (Thanks Jared and Elias!!!) and get back to the task of building a great Silver Spring restaurant.

A reminder for Restaurant Week junkies jonesing for a deal:

The $23.95 Three-Course Bistro Special is as always on offer, including, as a choice of entree, the hanger steak, and the crab royale, among other menu items.

The oft-reviled "hostess" from Ray's: The Steaks, Danielle, will be guest bartending this week to help out with the transition, so anyone eager for "unconscionably rude" treatment should hurry over for a heapin' helpin'.