Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had at RTC a couple of months ago with a friend who was visiting. I wanted to check out what all the buzz was about. I have to say that it is justified. The steaks were perfectly cooked and the sherry sauce was brilliant. I am normally very critical of most steak houses, but there is nothing to complain about here. If you want a good steak, this is the place to go.

I have two real quick questions (I apologize in advanced if these have been answered before):

1. Does Ray's The Classics still offer the 23.95 bar area offer? If so, on what days/times?

2. More importantly, do you have to be over 21 to sit in the bar area and take advantage of this deal?

Thanks

Until Michael comes along with the definitive answer, I've been able to get the "Bistro Special" on any day other than Friday/Saturday. And I bring my kids there all the time.

My 5 year old is on a first name basis with all of the bartenders at RTC. Actually, she's on a first name basis with about everyone in RTC, including some of the customers.

My 5 year old is on a first name basis with all of the bartenders at RTC. Actually, she's on a first name basis with about everyone in RTC, including some of the customers.

To be fair, your 5-year-old is adorable, but there's also a distinct difference between a child in a bar area, and someone who is, say, 19-and-three-quarters.

(Not that you, or anyone reading, doesn't know this. And frankly, I'm highly entertained by the mental vision of the five-year-old working the room. :angry: )

To be fair, your 5-year-old is adorable, but there's also a distinct difference between a child in a bar area, and someone who is, say, 19-and-three-quarters.

(Not that you, or anyone reading, doesn't know this. And frankly, I'm highly entertained by the mental vision of the five-year-old working the room. :angry: )

:lol:

Seriously, I see everyone from 2 to 92 in the bar room.

Not to be picky, but the first eG event was at Sette-I believe you and the Mrs. were preggers with Peanut at the time and sat at the end of the table away from the door. :angry: For those of you keeping track (and I know I'm the only one) Peanut's about 7 months older than dr.com.

There are a number of tables in the bar area so the 19 year old shouldn't have a problem, even if they can't sit at the actual bar.

I have two real quick questions (I apologize in advanced if these have been answered before):

1. Does Ray's The Classics still offer the 23.95 bar area offer? If so, on what days/times?

Thanks

Until Michael comes along with the definitive answer, I've been able to get the "Bistro Special" on any day other than Friday/Saturday. And I bring my kids there all the time.

Was just in RTC and confirmed the Bistro Special deals are available fulltime. . There's another 3-course Bar special @ RTC with only a single entree option [a 10 oz Steak] offered for under $19. That's quite the deal.

Actually, the menu says that the Bistro menu has "limited availability on Saturdays and Sundays".

On Saturday, 3 Bistro hanger steak specials and 1 Hell Burger fed the four of us, and left enough for dinner the next night.

I actually thought the bisque was a bit off - crab was great, but the bisque was a little thin - but the clam chowder totally rocked. Hanger steaks were, of course, impeccable.

Actually, the menu says that the Bistro menu has "limited availability on Saturdays and Sundays".

On Saturday, 3 Bistro hanger steak specials and 1 Hell Burger fed the four of us, and left enough for dinner the next night.

I actually thought the bisque was a bit off - crab was great, but the bisque was a little thin - but the clam chowder totally rocked. Hanger steaks were, of course, impeccable.

Sorry should have said "subject to availability" [got that from a live person lol]. So inventory-controlled for select items [like any restaurant for any item], some stuff is occasionally not-available [like the Crab Royale I tried to order a couple of weeks ago].

Had an excellent meal back on Friday, Jan 29th. Not overly crowded as it was cold and getting colder with a snow forcast.

After being seated, we were brought a plate with two small pieces of bread, though it was no trouble to get a few more pieces of the excellent bread. We started with the grilled prawns entree as an app, choosing this over the 'deviled' eggs and the always great scallops. The prawns were flat-out excellent.

For entrees, we had the special cowboy steak on the bone, and the hangar steak. Both cooked perfectly as ordered and served with the large sides of mashed potatos and spinach.

The only small dissapointment was the Key Lime Pie. While it was very good, the waiter said it was now made in house. I really loved the pie I had way back when at both the Viginia and Silver Spring locations. The crust was the best I have ever had. While the house made crust in Silver Spring was good, it just wasn't as good as the old crust. Yes, yes, a VERY minor complaint.

As always, Ray's strives to provide excellent food at very fair prices and didn't miss the mark.

Dropping in to say hello because I haven't been on this board in like a year or something (mostly because I don't have time anymore to go out to eat! stupid law school + work).

What's on the menu these days? I am just telling a coworker about RTC and she sounds pretty stoked, so I want to give her a heads up. I presume crab bisque and hanger steaks are still present and kicking ass.

Outstanding meal yet again last Thursday in the bar. Had a Hell-Burger craving, and I can't say how happy I am to be able to go about 10 minutes from work and satisfy that urge. If there's a better way to spend $9 at a restaurant in Silver Spring than a Hell-Burger w/sauteed mushrooms and Vermont White Cheddar, I've yet to find it.

Joined by a co-worker, who ordered the steak salad ($17.95) figuring it'd be a typical green salad with strips of steak laid on top. She was pleasantly surprised (stunned might be more accurate) to see that it was actually a healthy-sized sirloin alongside her salad, with sauteed mushrooms and onions to boot.

I wasn't going to order dessert, but when dessert menus are placed in front of you and you have a weakness for coconut creme pie......well, even the best-laid plans.

I feel like I shouldn't just come in and continuously sing RTC's praises to no end, but the fact is that this hit the spot in so many ways.

Went for the first time with a friend who's moving away soon. Had a good little steak with salad, potatoes and creamed spinach. The steak was perfectly cooked. The price was great and the service good. Had a nice and simple Chilean Cab to go with. By only complaint was the noise level (sat at a table in the bar) -- it made carrying on a conversation a bit of a chore. But I'd go back. I still have never had a hellburger.

Mentioned to our server the other night that we'd loved our last meal at Ray's the Steaks, East River. Apparently some of the popular items on the RTS-ER menu will soon be available on the Classics' bar menu, notably the chili half-smokes, and the smoked fried chicken. Here, here!

Now that is how you cook a hanger steak! It is a great cut and I cook it a home all the time. However, a lot of folks have a problem cooking it (they turn it into rubber) and I usually stay away from it after a particular experience at a restaurant that shall not be mentioned (the restaurant that shall not mentioned also charges twice the price). While this is my trusted place for steak, I mostly order the Ribeye. However, I am on a diet and went for the Bristro menu deal (great deal!). So........ I took a leap of faith (ala Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception), order it plain and was greatly rewarded. Kudos to whoever was in the kitchen. I now actually feel comfortable bringing my parents to RTC and also visitors from Argentina. They will not be able to talk any smack about how we need to visit to get a real BBQ.

Now that is how you cook a hanger steak! It is a great cut and I cook it a home all the time. However, a lot of folks have a problem cooking it (they turn it into rubber) and I usually stay away from it after a particular experience at a restaurant that shall not be mentioned (the restaurant that shall not mentioned also charges twice the price). While this is my trusted place for steak, I mostly order the Ribeye. However, I am on a diet and went for the Bristro menu deal (great deal!). So........ I took a leap of faith (ala Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception), order it plain and was greatly rewarded. Kudos to whoever was in the kitchen. I now actually feel comfortable bringing my parents to RTC and also visitors from Argentina. They will not be able to talk any smack about how we need to visit to get a real BBQ.

You are on a diet and got the three course bistro special? I want your diet.

I tried to go to RTC at 6:30 tonight, only to discover that MoCo has extended the "no parking" at the meters until 7 PM, and the huge parking lot behind that block is now completely inaccessible.

I don't think the "no parking during rush hour" applies to Cameron and Fenton Streets, and there's a garage AT Cameron & Fenton that's always empty.

I don't think the "no parking during rush hour" applies to Cameron and Fenton Streets, and there's a garage AT Cameron & Fenton that's always empty.

Those spaces are all day & you don't have to feed them after 6 PM. Unfortunately there aren't that many of them. Yes, there's a garage at Cameron & Fenton, but it's a little bit of a walk & some people with early reservations might not be up for that. The whole block in front of RTC is now "no stopping" until 7 PM. Who knows how aggressively that will be enforced, but it would prevent people from letting off elderly or disabled passengers at the door.

Looks like there's going to be some construction going on in that lot - permits up all over the place for the Fillmore.

Given that young-diners, non-drinkers and the unsophisticated/inexperienced often feel (and sometimes, indeed, are) discriminated against or condescended to, it nice to report that the teenager and her three less-restauranted friends friends had had a delightful time at RTC last. As she is 17, no further details are forthcoming.

A new menu is now available at RtC, as of last Wed. I'm going from memory here - smokehouse chili, a variety of burgers, new steak cuts (porterhouse and t-bone), pulled pork sandwiches, smoked ribs, and lots of new sides (including fries, sweet potato fries, and onion rings). I'm sure there's a lot more but three nights in a row at the 9:30 Club has addled my brain. The dessert is gone from the bistro special (not a great loss, IMO, as we rarely ate it). IIRC, much of the new stuff has come over from the East River menu. We're very happy to see some of these new additions at our local. RtC just keeps on getting better and better.

A new menu is now available at RtC, as of last Wed. I'm going from memory here - smokehouse chili, a variety of burgers, new steak cuts (porterhouse and t-bone), pulled pork sandwiches, smoked ribs, and lots of new sides (including fries, sweet potato fries, and onion rings). I'm sure there's a lot more but three nights in a row at the 9:30 Club has addled my brain. The dessert is gone from the bistro special (not a great loss, IMO, as we rarely ate it). IIRC, much of the new stuff has come over from the East River menu. We're very happy to see some of these new additions at our local. RtC just keeps on getting better and better.

The most notable negative change, as I remembered from my brief look at the menu tonight, is that I believe potatoes and creamed spinach are no longer provided free of charge. Doesn't really break me up too much, since I don't enjoy creamed spinach, and can live without the mashed potatoes, but I can see where some would be disappointed.

There are also a couple of cuts missing, I think - the onglet is the only one I remember for a fact was gone from this iteration of the RtC menu. There's also a chateaubriand for two that I don't remember being on there before, but I'm willing to chalk that up to my not paying close attention to the full restaurant menu very often, since I'm guilty of going almost exclusively for the Hell-Burger.

The only other items that I remember as being added that xcanuck didn't mention were a crab cake sandwich and a grilled portabella mushroom sandwich. There are also two "Bistro-sized" cuts of steak that are served with (I think) a baked potato and broccoli, with the option to add salad or crab bisque at a discounted price. Probably a couple other things too, but I only looked for a few minutes. I'm honestly intrigued enough to go back tomorrow night for dinner, and if I do, I'll make a point to look closer.

The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that the bistro at RtC is almost its own restaurant now - many of these additions (including the sandwiches and some of the smaller steak cuts) are bistro-only. There's a lot more than just the RtC menu plus a good special and the Hell-Burger.

the onglet is the only one I remember for a fact was gone from this iteration of the RtC menu

I hope you're kidding or that you overlooked it. The single best thing about RtC is the onglet -- the last two times I've ordered it, just about the platonic ideal of what hangar should be.

It sounds like the lounge menu is being transformed into that of East River. Are the creamed spinach and mashed potatoes being swapped out for other sides? I can understand there being a charge if that's the case.

The most startling news is the removal of the dessert from the bistro special. Is the price the same?

So many questions... Not to worry though.

First, the Onglet Omission was a clerical error which is now corrected. The Onglet is on the dining room menu at $19.99. Thanks for catching that, Fuzzy.

Secondly, the bistro special does not now include dessert. However, we have lowered the price to $22.99 for soup or salad, entree and sides (baked potato and butter-steamed broccoli, mashed can be substituted for the baked potato, but the spinach is now a baked, gruyere-parmesan gratin for 2-4 ppl, so it can't be subbed for the broccoli--you can switch out with the new creamed corn or a green salad). The reason for that, as Amit's post above attests, is simply that too much and too many desserts went straight into the trash, something that is very difficult to see, especially in these difficult economic and ecological times. This way, people who don't want dessert can save money. Hope that helps what ails you, Doc.

The bistro/lounge menu (available only in the bar/lounge/bistro--people in the know can still ask for the bistro special in the dining room) has been expanded to include sandwiches (crab cake, house-smoked pulled pork, grilled vegetable, turkey burger), house-smoked ribs and chili and maybe an extra special surprise in the near future, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

The bistro/lounge area itself has been expanded as well, to include the row of booths and the big round table in the middle section of the restaurant, and is all Augie March-style seating (first to knock, first to enter). All of the sandwiches come with fries or sweet potato fries, and cavolo 'salata (etymologists, holler!). All of the entrees off this menu come with baked potato and butter-steamed broccoli gratis. The a la carte menu is also available, except perhaps Friday's and Saturday's and other times of extreme duress, in the bar/lounge/bistro upon request.

The goal is to have the bar/lounge/bistro become more of the central focus and draw of The Classics, injecting the energy, vitality and camaraderie (and maybe a few PBF's--no life essence though) of a neighborhood gathering spot into the mix.

In the dining room, we have shifted the menu a bit to come more in line with the expectations of our more "restaurant clientele", allowing for a more relaxed, tailored, a la carte experience. We have also added amazing, slow-roasted Prime Rib--two cuts: The Knave's Cut for $22.99, and The Knight's Cut for $26.99 (beat that for value!). The decision to move away from all sides being gratis was a decision to keep from having to prepare and then throw away so much food every night, something that quite simply breaks our heart to do.

I believe Fuzzy's post (in regards to the sides: "Doesn't really break me up too much, since I don't enjoy creamed spinach, and can live without the mashed potatoes...") actually proves that point very well and clearly. It also allows us to give guests more accurately what they want while keeping prices low for the rest.

To be honest, it is also a conscious decision to make the bar/lounge/bistro more attractive. The sad fact, seen not only at The Classics but also in the sad demise of Bobby's, is that while our Silver Spring clientele is for the most part an absolute joy, our clientele from the wealthier parts of Montgomery County can be not only the cheapest and least appreciative, while at the same time the most difficult and disruptive, and often outright scheming and demeaning.

This way, we can remain true to our mission of value and openness in the expanded lounge (and in the dining room), while still allowing for the particular demands of a clientele that stands in stark opposition to those principles--albeit on a more limited scale in the larger scheme of things--with an a la carte menu.

We were there on Monday. After getting over the confusion of having to read the menu to decide what to have for dinner, we were quite pleased with the food.

One had the bistro special, one had ribs, one had steak frites. Oh, we also tried the creamed corn (SOOOOOO good) and the onion rings (quite tasty, perfect batter, cut a little thicker than I like). Much wine (etc) was consumed. The general consensus was that the food remains stellar, the new options are tasty, and Eliot is an excellent bartender.

Good heavens. I ate so much tonight that I walked around my neighborhood for an hour after getting home. On top of the, um, preemptive run this afternoon.

Fantastic as always. Kansas City strip steak was the special tonight (the Mrs. had her Cowboy Ribeye.) Couple of glasses of brut rose to start, bacon-wrapped scallops and deviled eggs, mac, and french fries. Bottle of Maitre 'D cab (SO good) to go with, leftovers thoughtfully wrapped and capped. Coffee, and a chocolate mousse delivered with the kind regards of the house for our anniversary.

So seriously, this was a planned eat-your-face-off celebration and we didn't break two bills. To me, that's nothing short of astounding. So Michael, Mark, et al., thanks yet again.

I think I feel another walk coming on. With this leftover cab. (What, I should let this hang around a day?)

I dragged myself out last night to watch a little baseball & have dinner at the bar. The whole bar menu now is more casual. The burger seems to have gone up in price, now $8.99 with no extras, but all sandwiches now come with fries and coleslaw.

I tried the pulled pork sandwich, also $8.99. I expected some smoky flavor that wasn't there - the pork is "Carolina style" and heavily dressed with vinegar that killed the red wine I ordered to go with it. I left more than half my glass of wine. Cole slaw was of the creamy, sweet variety. Fries arrived hot, but some of the thicker pieces were slightly undercooked in the middle. On the whole, pretty good but I probably will stick to steak next time.

Those of you who have had the pleasure of trying Amit's smoked meat (pastrami, for those who need explanation) will be happy to know that after many months of experimenting, corning and then corning and experimenting again we have finally been able to replicate his recipe to his satisfaction and have earned his official seal of approval.

So I am happy to announce that we will now be serving Amit's Smoked Meat at Ray's The Bar at Ray's The Classics. Can't guarantee availablity, can guarantee goodness.

I wanted to thank him for the extraordinary kindness and generosity in granting us the honor of using his recipe (best I've ever had) and to duly anoint him with official Rock Star Status.

Thanks munch munch Amit munch munch. (That's xcanuck, for those who don't know).

Those of you who have had the pleasure of trying Amit's smoked meat (pastrami, for those who need explanation) will be happy to know that after many months of experimenting, corning and then corning and experimenting again we have finally been able to replicate his recipe to his satisfaction and have earned his official seal of approval.

So I am happy to announce that we will now be serving Amit's Smoked Meat at Ray's The Bar at Ray's The Classics. Can't guarantee availablity, can guarantee goodness.

I wanted to thank him for the extraordinary kindness and generosity in granting us the honor of using his recipe (best I've ever had) and to duly anoint him with official Rock Star Status.

Thanks munch munch Amit munch munch. (That's xcanuck, for those who don't know).

Is it gluten-free? (gah, sorry I have to be THAT guy) :)

But I really want to eat that meat.

[/dirty]

Aw, shucks! Honestly, it's an honour simply to have been asked by Michael, let alone actually work with his people to make this a reality. You couldn't have wiped the grin off my face when we figured out this was really going to happen.

The meat itself is obviously gluten free but doubt that the rye bread is.

And it's not Montreal style smoked meat so you'll still have to go to Schwartz's for that. Pastrami has been cured in brine, rubbed with spices, smoked and steamed. My understanding is that Montreal smoked meat is not brined but rather rubbed with spices and marinated before smoking and steaming. You'll notice the pastrami has a much deeper colour (coming from the pink curing salt in the brine) than smoked meat.

Excellent pastrami, and a very good pickle on the side. To quibble a little, gotta work on that bread a little bit. Not crusty enough, and the triple-decker thing didn't really work, as the bread got too soggy too fast. (No, don't toast it - just find a more substantial bread).

But I feel really let down, because I wanted the receipt to say "Amit's Smoked Meat", but all I got was "Amit's Pastrami".

Excellent pastrami, and a very good pickle on the side. To quibble a little, gotta work on that bread a little bit. Not crusty enough, and the triple-decker thing didn't really work, as the bread got too soggy too fast. (No, don't toast it - just find a more substantial bread).

But I feel really let down, because I wanted the receipt to say "Amit's Smoked Meat", but all I got was "Amit's Pastrami".

And the perfect wine to go with it is.......