Date Night - Cheap Eats

MarkS

My son, 23, has a date tomorrow night.  The girls lives in the U street area and I thought I'd ask on this list what is around there that is interesting and will not bust the bank.  From this board I saw El Churo, Meredian Pint, maple and Eatonville all looked god on paper.

I've never been to any of these so I am looking for 1st hand opion.  He would liek to stay under 100, preferably under 75 for 2 including a few drinks, appitizer and entree.  He isnt the most adventersome eater, so american, italien and mexican come to teh front of the list.

Thanks

Ghibellina - great pizza/ambience, each pie about $15, appetizer to share 10, couple glasses of wine, $10 x 2, maybe dessert gets you right around there.

Centro DF - mexican, nice interior, basement tequileria would let them talk in low lighting, tacos, apps, couple of margs keeps you at that price point

Matchbox - trendy and the space at the 14th St one is so cool. similar pricing to Ghib for pizzas/apps/wine

Estadio - Spanish style tapas with an open kitchen so can watch them cook; probably hit closer to a 100 with 2-3 tapas per person

To be 23 and on a first date and mom (or dad?) helping out ... How adorable!

S

Edited by Simul Parikh
  • Like 1

Why, it just so happens that there is a handy-dandy guide to restaurants and bars on U Street! You might also want to check out nearby Logan Circle (which includes all of the new 14th Street restaurants), Adams Morgan, Shaw, and Columbia Heights.

Shameless plug aside, if he wants to stay on U, he could go all hipster and take her to Oohhs & Aahhs, followed by cheap PBRs at Sollys. He could go for a bit more sophisticated vibe at Dickson, a cool wine bar that's fairly cozy and has good snacks (the ribeye bahn mi is basically just a steak sandwich). Or he could take a leap of faith and try Ethiopian at Etete, which sounds weird but isn't.