Malmaison, Yoga and Mix Electronik at 34th and K Street, Georgetown - Gerard Pangaud no Longer at the Restaurant

This is about the damnedest juxtaposition I've seen recently:

post-2-0-34569600-1392917715_thumb.png

Has anyone been here, and can anyone verify if Gerard Pangaud (<--- read this) is actually working the kitchen? This November, 2013 Washingtonian Article implies that Gerard is going to be present here more often, but that the menu won't consist of his traditional dishes.

However, his signature dish is Lobster Poached with Ginger, Sauternes, and Lime, and that dish is featured on a special $49, bring-your-own-wine, four-course, Monday-night menu (mute your speakers if you visit their website, trust me). Just from seeing that, it would not surprise me at all if Gerard was actually in the kitchen on Monday nights - would he really trust someone else to make this dish? According to the website, if you call 72 hours in advance, he'll create a menu around the wine you bring. Am I really reading this?!

Gerard Pangaud is a Top 10 Chef to ever work in DC (yes, I said that, and I'll say it over-and-over if necessary). If he is actually cooking here, even one night a week, then Malmaison is one of the great secrets of DC Dining.

People just don't remember what a giant this man is; anyone who experienced his work at the Ritz-Carlton in Pentagon City knows exactly what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

I was there Monday for drinks and snacks with friends at around 5 pm.  Pangaud was definitely there, in the kitchen, as he came out to talk to us because they did not receive their cheese shipment, so one of the items that we ordered (a cheese terrine) was not available.  Looking at the pictures of Pangaud online, I confirm that it was he who came out of the kitchen.

The drinks and food were great.  We shared a cheese plate with a chevre and a bleu (to which they added a home-made pork and chicken liver pate, since they only had two different cheeses), some great bread, a so-so wheatberry salad, and some great lobster bisque soup.  The cocktails were very well done, both the traditional martini a friend ordered, and my more inventive rye-based drink.  My other friend, who had been there before, and knew the owners, said the pastries she had tried in the past were phenomenal.

They were offering the Monday night menu, which looked really great (can't remember specifics now), but we did not order it since we had only planned to go in for birthday drinks, and some of us had other dinner plans.  I cannot wait to go back.

Edited to add:  The space is gorgeous, the music was a really nice mix of classical, and the service was good.

• Like 2

Rieux, thank you! This is shaping up to be the most exciting restaurant news of 2014.

According to the website, if you call 72 hours in advance, he'll create a menu around the wine you bring. Am I really reading this?!

And I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be limited to $49. This is just a guess, but if you can really call in 72 hours in advance, and have a menu custom-built around your wine? I'll bet you can just name your price ($70, $80, $150 each, or whatever) and party size, and the meal will be selected accordingly (you don't serve caviar or foie gras on a $49 menu). Since Gerard is a classically trained French chef (he worked for Troisgros, and at one point, he was the youngest chef in history to earn 2 Michelin stars (yes, really!)), well anyway, because of this, you wouldn't be paying for molecular bullshit or extensive prep (which I suspect he doesn't have); you'd be paying for ingredients. At this level of dining, the fact that you can bring your own wine without paying a corkage fee is monumental.

This is the difference between crossing restaurants off a bucket list, and having a world-class meal and not caring who knows.

• Like 3

Since Gerard is a classically trained French chef (he worked for Troisgros, and at one point, he was the youngest chef in history to earn 2 Michelin stars (yes, really!)), well anyway, because of this, you wouldn't be paying for molecular bullshit or extensive prep (which I suspect he doesn't have); you'd be paying for ingredients. At this level of dining, the fact that you can bring your own wine without paying a corkage fee is monumental.

This is the difference between crossing restaurants off a bucket list, and having a world-class meal and not caring who knows.

I was privileged to work just across the street from Gerard's Place a decade or so ago. I spent many a pleasant lunch times marveling at what was coming out of that kitchen. And it's even more amazing to me that he's a recovering alcoholic, but can absolutely NAIL a wine and food pairing without imbibing....incredible talent.

I've been there once for lunch. My roasted vegetable sandwich was tasty, but nothing spectacular. One of my co-workers raves about their almond croissants, which is dangerous because Malmaison is literally across the street from my office and I love almond croissants.

I am working for the Popal family and I work Monday and Friday evening at Malmaison and Thursday at Napoleon in Adams Morgan. On Monday you can bring your own wine without any corkage fee like I used to do at Gerard's Place.

I can prepare you a menu you like.

I never lost my passion for cooking but I lost any interest in running a restaurant, it was time for me to have a life and yes sobriety makes me a wiser person.

I don't try to reinvent the wheel here but to cook very good food. Like my mentor Jean Troisgros used to say:

If you buy a good product, cook it well and season it perfectly you are already a great chef.

We are in a world where people are more interested in what's new more than what's good, people never ask me for a good restaruant but a new one.

I would be more than happy to cook for you at a reasonable price, food does not need to be expensive to be good.

• Like 8

I am working for the Popal family and I work Monday and Friday evening at Malmaison and Thursday at Napoleon in Adams Morgan. On Monday you can bring your own wine without any corkage fee like I used to do at Gerard's Place.

I can prepare you a menu you like.

I never lost my passion for cooking but I lost any interest in running a restaurant, it was time for me to have a life and yes sobriety makes me a wiser person.

I don't try to reinvent the wheel here but to cook very good food. Like my mentor Jean Troisgros used to say:

If you buy a good product, cook it well and season it perfectly you are already a great chef.

We are in a world where people are more interested in what's new more than what's good, people never ask me for a good restaruant but a new one.

I would be more than happy to cook for you at a reasonable price, food does not need to be expensive to be good.

I'm standing and clapping!

• Like 2

I am reorganizing the Malmaison restaurant and I will be the chef from now on, we are open only four nights a week Wednesday through Saturday and I will do a price fixe menu with choices like Obelisk does.

It will change every week.

We will do the corkage free evening on Wednesday.

I am happy to come back to cooking.

Here is the menu for the first week.

Price : 4 courses $55, 3 courses $45

Course 1

Asparagus, Baby arugula, Parmesan cookie emulsion of Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Or

Spring fava Beans Soup with Lemon Thyme, served with Roasted Garlic Toast.

Course 2

Seafood Sausage with a Shellfish coulis, Ragout of Sauteed Spinach

Or

Flan of Wild Mushrooms with Watercress Sauce

Or

Spring Risotto with Spinach, Fava beans, Peas and Fried Artichokes

Course 3

Alaskan Halibut with Fresh morels, potato Gnocchi and Watercress Puree

Or

Breast of Duck with Cherries, Shepper'd Pie of Duck Confit and Sauteed Spinach

Or

Open Raviolo of  Spring Vegetables, Artichokes and Preserved Tomato

Course 4

Mango Tart Tatin with Passion Fruit Sauce

Or

Vanilla Crème Brulee

Or

Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Ice-cream

• Like 7

Don, I love this place.. I havent had the food but def have been here for their EDM parties. One of my old business partners has thrown many events here in this location. The events are off the hook and great venue..

I haven't been, but now they have arguably one of the top five chefs ever to work in this city.

I spend a lot of time at the Washington Canoe Club.  I will definitely try to drag some friends along for dinner soon. I have been in for coffee and drinks several times, but not yet for a meal. My daughter  was there recently for a fraternity formal (or party or something) and said they had a very nice evening and were treated quite well.

• Like 1

However, his signature dish is Lobster Poached with Ginger, Sauternes, and Lime, and that dish is featured on a special $49, bring-your-own-wine, four-course, Monday-night menu (mute your speakers if you visit their website, trust me). Just from seeing that, it would not surprise me at all if Gerard was actually in the kitchen on Monday nights - would he really trust someone else to make this dish? According to the website, if you call 72 hours in advance, he'll create a menu around the wine you bring. Am I really reading this?!

Gerard Pangaud is a Top 10 Chef to ever work in DC (yes, I said that, and I'll say it over-and-over if necessary). If he is actually cooking here, even one night a week, then Malmaison is one of the great secrets of DC Dining.

People just don't remember what a giant this man is; anyone who experienced his work at the Ritz-Carlton in Pentagon City knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I wrote Gerard recently, and unfortunately, he's no longer in the kitchen at Malmaison except for special events. That said, he's teaching cooking classes at Hill Center, and is available for events in peoples' homes - essentially, he's in semi-retirement, and you now need to make a special effort to obtain him (but he's still available).

If I were having a dinner party at my house, didn't mind spending a little money, and didn't want the hassle of cooking, I would be on the phone with Gerard Pangaud. If anyone ever needs to get hold of him for private parties, contact me - now that he's no longer working, I plan on getting to know the master whom I've respected so highly for nearly thirty years.

• Like 1

I wrote Gerard recently, and unfortunately, he's no longer in the kitchen at Malmaison except for special events.

Just so people know, I've received word from Gerard that he's no longer at Malmaison at all. He was doing this for the love of cooking anyway, not for money, Accordingly, I've downgraded Malmaison from Italic while at the same time tipping my hat to them for furnishing this giant with a kitchen - there was no discord; Gerard is merely getting older.

Maybe sometime early next year, I can get him to make our members a special dinner, one more time for the old days. I want people here to see what this great chef - at the time of the award, the youngest Michelin 2-star chef *in history* - is capable of doing.

• Like 1

Just so people know, I've received word from Gerard that he's no longer at Malmaison at all. He was doing this for the love of cooking anyway, not for money, Accordingly, I've downgraded Malmaison from Italic while at the same time tipping my hat to them for furnishing this giant with a kitchen - there was no discord; Gerard is merely getting older.

Maybe sometime early next year, I can get him to make our members a special dinner, one more time for the old days. I want people here to see what this great chef - at the time of the award, the youngest Michelin 2-star chef *in history* - is capable of doing.

I used to have the good fortune to occasionally dine at Gerard's Place on 15th, having been introduced to it by a client who was a regular.  Got to meet monsieur Pangaud 2 or 3 times via my client/friend and he was very gracious at each meeting.  Had some spectacular dishes as I recall.

My recollection of reputation circa late '80's early 90's was that he stood out among local chefs.  My memory of meals at that time would more than confirm that well deserved reputation

8 minutes ago, seanvtaylor said:

Malmaison closed sometime this fall, and the space has been turned into a Berlin-style beer hall called Berliner. I ride past it most weeknights, and it looks like it is open or close to opening. Looks interesting:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/11/06/a-modern-german-beer-hall-will-open-in-georgetown-for-vegans-and-sausage-lovers-alike/

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 12.00.28.png

Aside from owning Malmaison, the Café Bonaparte owners also own Lapis in Adams Morgan (anyone remember when that was Mantis? That opened up right around 2003.)