Nadya

Cold Stone Creamery, a Scottsdale, Arizona Franchise Owned by Kahala Brands

So, a gentleman and I got a craving for ice cream last night, and instead of hauling bottom to the nearest Baskin-Robbins, we strolled up Connecticut Ave. to a new ice cream place on the next block from the Uptown Theatre called ColdStone.

It's a very small place with no tables except a few on the patio, so the line inside is rather long. They have basic flavors (chocolate, sweet cake batter, coconut, peanut, coffee) as well as fancy concoctions. I ordered Cherry Cheesecake - sweet cream base with black cherries, chocolate chips and graham crackers, which was the pure, unadulterated indulgence. The most interesting part is watching them make your serving - a dollop of ice cream base gets kneaded and mixed like dough on a board, and toppings are then mixed in. The ice cream comes out with all the toppings evenly spread throughout the body, and pleasantly soft around the edges. Come on, didn't you hate having to lick your scoop until it gets soft enough to bite?

The bonus for me is a nice walk between Dupont Circle and Cleveland Park and back. Takes care of whatever caloric pack you consume with your ice cream. Or so you might like to think. I would, anyway.

Jacques Gastreaux said:
There is a Coldstone next to Oyamel in Crystal City and I think there is one next to Ted's Montana Grill in Alexandria.

Yeah, and packed with tourists! Actually, I think it's next to where the Ted's is going to be in Crystal City, too, but I can't picture the sequence of stores offhand. Coldstone after Oyamel always seems kind of wrong, but sometimes I do it anyway. :lol:

"Coffee Lover's" combo with white chocolate chips for me.

bookluvingbabe: Crystal City store doesn't seem too into the singing. The one back home in CT, on the other hand...

Someone told me they sing when someone puts money in the tip jar. Agree that it is pretty annoying.

That said, I can always go for a "Birthday Cake Remix". Though, last time a friend got a concoction with Oreos. Maybe it was called "Oreo Overload". I would definitely get that one again.

Coldstone is great. I recommend anything with the mint ice cream. In addition to their basic flavors, they have one more interesting flavor each month like pumpkin (pretty good for a taste) red hot cherry, etc.

They make great ice cream cakes too where they mix real cake with their ice cream and yummy toppings.

While the lines in Cleveland Park are often long (which gives me time to choose among the 40+ "recipes"), my only complaint is that last time I went early in the evening they were out of chocolate. Come on, what type of respectable and chain ice cream store runs out of basics like chocolate. This was only one time though.

Sigh

Am I the only one who misses the family owned shop that was there before the redevelopment? Nonchain ice cream, people behind the counter who knew you, pictures of kids with messy faces on the walls.

Sigh

Sigh

Am I the only one who misses the family owned shop that was there before the redevelopment?  Nonchain ice cream, people behind the counter who knew you, pictures of kids with messy faces on the walls.

Sigh

With you on that one. Licked their ice cream better too.

Sigh

Am I the only one who misses the family owned shop that was there before the redevelopment?  Nonchain ice cream, people behind the counter who knew you, pictures of kids with messy faces on the walls.

Sigh

You're definitely not alone. I'm surprised Coldstone got such a warm reception here.

I much prefer Max's.

How does Coldstone compare with Maggie Moo's, which I think is in Pentagon Row, and probably a handful of other places around the country, just like Coldstone?

yeah, I miss Larry and Uptown Scoop as well - my sister used to work there and during the winter months Larry would do peoples taxes in the store

my favorite flavour was Arbuckle's delight, vanilla ice cream w/ warm chocolate poured into it to create an incredible mouthfeel of hundreds of tiny pieces of chocolate - all the ice cream was made by Lee's in Baltimore so you can still get it in some places

Sigh

Sigh

CrescentFresh said:
How does Coldstone compare with Maggie Moo's, which I think is in Pentagon Row, and probably a handful of other places around the country, just like Coldstone?

Pretty comparable in my opinion. I prefer Marble Slab (which appears to be most everywhere but here) to either.

There is also a Maggie Moo's in the Bradlee Shopping center on King (near the intersection with Quaker) and one in the Village at Shirlington. Surprisingly close together, but both an easy walk from my house. :lol:

I think the quality of the ice cream itself at ColdStone is better. I could see eating a plain dish of some of their ice creams like the strawberry or the cake batter.

At Maggie Moos, the ice cream is really only a medium for the add-ins.

The ice cream concoctions at Cold Stone and other similar places are too much of a good thing. After a few bites, the goo just bcomes too sickeningly sweet. And they give you so much of it, even in the small sizes. (Do I sound like a 70 year old man here?)

Discovering the likes of the Del Ray Dreamery really changed my view on the marble slabs. I could eat gallons of the Wisconsin custard and not get sick of it.

Do they still sing to you????

I'm not going back until someone can gurantee me there will be no singing.

Jennifer

Good Lord, the singing is the WORST.

Also, is it even possible to eat more than the smallest size? soooooo dennnnnnnnnse.

Also, is it even possible to eat more than the smallest size? 

Yes. Definitely.

Good Lord, the singing is the WORST.

Also, is it even possible to eat more than the smallest size?  soooooo dennnnnnnnnse.

I've been to the one at Fair Oaks Mall, and the new one in the Worldgate Shopping Center in Herndon. I was not subjected to singing at the latter location.

The SO and I have found that the best deal is to agree on a pair of add-ins and order a hand-packed pint. Not that I'm all that fond of them, but they're better than Baskin-Robbins.

There is also a Maggie Moo's in the Bradlee Shopping center on King (near the intersection with Quaker) and one in the Village at Shirlington.  Surprisingly close together, but both an easy walk from my house. :lol:

And on 18th St. in Adams Morgan (at the bottom of my new street- Belmont Rd!)

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for their Better Batter...

I've only been to each place once, but I thought the ice cream at Cold Stone was a lot better.

Isn't this the place the smears crap in to your ice cream on a slab and then scoops it all together for you?

If so BLEAH.

I hate crap in my ice cream, except maybe chocolate chips.

Cold Stone is a loathsome fucking place at every level, from their hideous lighting to their saccarine-sweet ice cream to their cutsey little fold-in gimick. We'd be a better nation if every Cold Stone location became a whorehouse or a funeral parlor.

Maggie Moo's too, for that matter.