Picnic For Two

DLB

My wife has been busy studying for the Bar Exam, so I would like to surprise her with a nice picnic this weekend. Were are the best places to go with a nice view? I would also like to bring some wine, is this legal?

I have heard the Botanical Gardens (usbg.gov) are nice for this kind of thing - in fact, my husband and I are planning to go there this weekend for a picnic ourselves! Not sure about the wine, though, but would like to know about that as well!

Good luck to your wife as she studies - you are sweet to take her out for a diversion.

My wife has been busy studying for the Bar Exam, so I would like to surprise her with a nice picnic this weekend. Were are the best places to go with a nice view? I would also like to bring some wine, is this legal?

Great idea, if my boyfriend hadn't been studying for the bar WITH me, I would have loved that idea!!!

Thankfully, you're in one of the BEST cities for picnicking!!

I think that anywhere along the water in East Potomac Park world be nice, especially over by The Awakening statute. There's a very nice water view there. Also, almost anywhere around the Tidal Basin is cool, near where the paddle boats are.

Also, for food, definitely pick something up from Breadline or Marvelous Markets on 7th street. Yummy!!!!

for more ideas about locations AND food choices, check out this link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/enter...nts/picnics.htm

Have fun!!!

One more helpful link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...p;notFound=true

Another fun place (if you're at all intrigued by planes) is that park right by National Airport -- I don't know its name and hopefully someone else here can chime in (Gravelly Point, maybe?), but you can set up your picnic near the water and watch the planes take off and land. I love to bring sandwiches from the Italian Store and a book or newspaper and just chill out there. (Don't know about the legality of wine there, either.)

And ditto on the kudos for your idea. Diversions while studying for the bar (especially pre-July 4, as that's when the REAL studying begins) are much-needed!

Alcohol is forbidden on most Federal land around these parts. However, white wine can be decanted into an empty Perrier bottle (the green one :unsure: ) and red can go into a cranberry juice bottle. Discretion is the greater part of valor, ya know?

We like to go Montrose Park in Georgetown, on R between 28th and 32nd. Much less crowded than the better known spots, and it offers a variety of terrains -- you can hang near the playground, wander into the woods, watch the tennis, or relax under an immense oak. Wandering through next-door Dumbarton Oaks is nice, and the small road running down to the creek was actually called "Lovers Lane," if you're feeling all snoggy. We have never had a problem drinking wine there, though we are discreet.

The best place, though, is to go up to the upstairs balcony at the Kennedy Center and picnic looking out over the river. Probably have to check that one out in person, not sure what the rules/security presence is post-9/11. Wine should be disguised a la Barbara.

I like either Gravelley Point (planes are awesome) or, if you're into something a bit less distracting, try the lawn of the Iwo Jima Memorial. Great trees to sit under and postcard views of the city. For a more natural setting, try the TR Memorial on TR Island, or one of the many rocky outcroppings jutting out into the Potomac. Just don't let the water touch any of your food. Sonic diahrea ruins picnics.

Same problems with alcohol as other federal land.

The best place, though, is to go up to the upstairs balcony at the Kennedy Center and picnic looking out over the river. Probably have to check that one out in person, not sure what the rules/security presence is post-9/11. Wine should be disguised a la Barbara.
Things might have changed, but when I worked there it was public space. The Kennedy Center is a national monument, like the Lincoln Memorial, and the Park Service has to make it accessible to the public. It's a gorgeous view. :unsure:

Things might have changed, but when I worked there it was public space. The Kennedy Center is a national monument, like the Lincoln Memorial, and the Park Service has to make it accessible to the public. It's a gorgeous view. :unsure:

Are there any tables and such up there? Sounds very interesting.

While Meridian Hill Park, known unofficially as Malcolm X Park, and Montrose Park are both excellent suggestions, the National Arboretum is a splendid idea. It's enormous, and varied, and beautiful, and is (or at least used to be; it's been a while) very lightly visited, so you can usually have a rather large chunk of it to yourself.

We like to go Montrose Park in Georgetown, on R between 28th and 32nd.

For a great, secluded spot that feels miles away from anything, head to Montrose, walk down the path into the woods and head left at the fork. I think this is Waitman's lover's lane. There are these huge expanses on grass and every time I'm walking the dog there I think, "why don't we come here for a picnic." It feels very English countryside, if I may be so dramatic...

Thanks for all the great information. I am thinking about the National Arboretum. Any thoughts on this place?
There's a wonderful, secluded shelter overlooking the Anacostia River, which you can find by going to where they have the dogwoods planted. No table there, but I seem to remember that there is a bench.

Thanks for all the great information. I am thinking about the National Arboretum. Any thoughts on this place?

I picnicked there about two weeks ago. It was a weekday so it was quiet. We had no problem with wine. No one was around who would give a damn. And I think there's only one or two NPS rangers cruising around in cars so you can always brown bag in plenty of time as the picnic tables are a good enough distance from the parking lot.

Quiet place, except for the occasional helicopter. You'd be surprised you're right in the District.

How about one of the vineyards? It would probably be in poor form to not at least have one bottle of their wine, but you won't be hassled by the park police as you would at any of our public parks. Tarara has nice views.

This is a great idea. I am looking at the site now. Just not sure if I want to drive so far out.

Linden Vineyards offers a wonderful picnic spot, and a chance at munchies, as well. Bit of a drive, though.

For that matter, drive to the Shenandoah National Park Entrance at Front Royal and take a left, passing dozens of great spots along Skyline Drive. Sometimes a couple hours hiking around the woods makes the picnic food taste even better, and gets you mind off the bar exam even more effectively than that pleasant cruise up New York Avenue to the Arboreatum. :unsure:

Closer in, but along the same lines, an hour or so spent wandering around Great Falls ought to turn up some wonderful views and get you away from the crowds. There are more than a few pockets of peace there, even along the Billy Goat Trail.

I was thinking about taking the girl on a surprise romantic picnic. I know one of the other strings has picnic recipe ideas but that doesn't really help. Any ideas from the peanut gallery on a good spot, good wine/bubbly, and good menu items I could pick up from somewhere with takeout or prepared foods? I am thinking more classy than sandwiches and potato salad but I don't want to cook anything as spending an hour shut in the kitchen before we leave might be a bit suspicious. I would rethink sandwiches if only Breadline was open...

I was thinking about taking the girl on a surprise romantic picnic. I know one of the other strings has picnic recipe ideas but that doesn't really help. Any ideas from the peanut gallery on a good spot, good wine/bubbly, and good menu items I could pick up from somewhere with takeout or prepared foods? I am thinking more classy than sandwiches and potato salad but I don't want to cook anything as spending an hour shut in the kitchen before we leave might be a bit suspicious. I would rethink sandwiches if only Breadline was open...

the declaration of independence memorial is my all time favorite picnic spot in dc - preposterously romantic, rarely visited, and rather secluded.

eta: it is a small island on a man-made lake between the washington monument and the vietnam vets memorial.

the declaration of independence memorial is my all time favorite picnic spot in dc - preposterously romantic, rarely visited, and rather secluded.

eta: it is a small island on a man-made lake between the washington monument and the vietnam vets memorial.

Did they change the name of "Constitution Gardens?"

Did they change the name of "Constitution Gardens?"

We always used to call it "Signers' Island". Not sure if that's an official name for it, but I agree with Danny that it's a great spot, and pretty undiscovered by the tourists.

Speaking of islands, Roosevelt island, tucked in the Potomac between Georgetown and Rosslyn, is a lovely escape. You could stop at the Gtown Dean and Deluca to pick up some extraordinarily priced foods and drinks, walk on over the bridge, and woo away...

Speaking of islands, Roosevelt island, tucked in the Potomac between Georgetown and Rosslyn, is a lovely escape. You could stop at the Gtown Dean and Deluca to pick up some extraordinarily priced foods and drinks, walk on over the bridge, and woo away...
I love Roosevelt Island and often take my dog there for a nature walk, but I am not sure of anywhere on the island that would make for a decent picnic spot. Along the north and northeastern coast are some nice views of Georgetown, but other than a rock or two anywhere to sit.

Also be careful of the Mall locations if you want to have wine/bubbly, as alcohol is illegal on the National Mall. By the way, the official name of the Island is "The 56 Signers of the Declaration of Independence Memorial", I can't believe that no once can remember such a snappy sounding name for an island.

Sitting on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial in the evening makes for a lovely evening. You can stroll along the tidal basin or its a short walk to the Potomac. Its one of my favorite places to jog since it is so beautiful.

Depending on what day it is the Sculpture Garden on Constitution has a jazz concert that is a nice treat. I think they do this on Friday evenings. They serve wine and sangria although I can't tell you what the options are. That would keep you legal.

I've always enjoyed Great Falls especially as the sun begins to set.