Shoebox Oven - "A Very Tiny Merry Bakery"

mame11

Sad News...this is the last week for LSO at the Arlington farmers market for the season :)

Hopefully we'll get updated on where to find those rediculously good cupcakes during the winter.

If we can only get her assistant Steve to agree on musical taste--and to keep him away from the ladies--hopefully you won't have to look too far.

It was good to see the update on Shoebox in the Cupcake article today.

"I can't imagine how much money it costs to have a storefront," says Krishna Brown, owner of ShoeBoxOven.com, a Silver Spring-based online bakery. "I didn't have the funding to support an actual infrastructure, but I didn't think that should stop me."

Brown, 32, began selling her baked goods at the Arlington Farmers Market last May and had so much success she quit her full-time job doing Web design for the Peace Corps to open ShoeBox Oven in November. Now, each morning at 2 she takes over the kitchen at Ray's the Classics restaurant in Silver Spring and whips up desserts for wholesale and individual retail patrons. In the months she has been open, individual sales have fluctuated between four orders a week and more than 30 a week. The desserts are delivered the same day they are made, and pickups are available at both Ray's restaurants (the other is Ray's the Steaks in Arlington). While 85 percent of her business is for pickup or delivery, she has shipped by two-day mail to destinations as far away as Albuquerque.

Walking by the Marvelous Market next to Eastern Market this afternoon, I noticed something on their outside sign about Shoebox Oven products. It was super busy there, so there wasn't an opportunity to inquire inside about what that meant. I looked around and didn't see anything, but it was fairly late in the day. Whatever items there might have been were gone, or I may have missed them.

Does anyone know more about this? I'd love the opportunity to pick up some baked goods from Shoebox Oven.

Walking by the Marvelous Market next to Eastern Market this afternoon, I noticed something on their outside sign about Shoebox Oven products. It was super busy there, so there wasn't an opportunity to inquire inside about what that meant. I looked around and didn't see anything, but it was fairly late in the day. Whatever items there might have been were gone, or I may have missed them.

Does anyone know more about this? I'd love the opportunity to pick up some baked goods from Shoebox Oven.

Hey Pat,

Marvelous Market (all eight) are carrying Champagne Chocolate, White Chocolate Crunch and the s'Mores. There was a special gift basket for Father's Day too.

kb

If you are looking to pick up a few sundries and pastries for breakfast this Saturday,

come by the ShoeBox Oven canopy at the Arlington Farmer's Market

Saturday, June 23 at the Arlington Farmer's Market (8am to Noon):

Chelsea Buns

Chevre and Herb Quiches

Oeuf Cocotte "chick egg" tarts

Viennese Rolls

Polenta Timbales

White Cheddar, Herb and Bacon Timbales

Fig and Toasted Sesame Jam

Strawberry and Lavendar Jam

Blackberry and Orange Jam

Japanese Sesame and Catupiry Pão de queijos

Amor and Samurai Chocolate

White Chocolate Crunch

Chocolate Pound Cakes

Madeleines

and more depending on what else the oven can bake between now and Saturday morning. Hope you can come by for breakfast. Jammies and fuzzy slippers accepted.

Arlington Courthouse Farmers Market

Saturday, June 30 from 8am to Noon

pastries and savories underneath the ShoeBox Oven canopy

This Week

Sausage and Feta HandPies

Coconut and Citrus Bread Pudding

Torta Della Nonna Tarts

Matcha TeaCookies

Mandarin TeaCookies

Chelsea Buns

BlackBerry Lassi Smoothie

Amor and Samurai Chocolate

Canelé

Rustic Potato Boule

Chevre and Herb Quiche

White Cheddar and Bacon

Biscuit Timbales

at the Arlington Courthouse Farmers Market

At the intersection of N. Courthouse Rd. and N. 14th St.

It has been too long since I have been able to partake in the Shoebox Oven's baked goodies. The first week she was at the market I got there early but yet too late to get anything. Since then I have either been on the road or unable to make it.

This morning I was lured to Arlington by fig danishes. It is clear that in the past year the Shoebox Oven's skills have improved, because what was good is now great. The sausage puffs had a much better texture than they did last year, with a nice amount of filling. I didn't even heat them for them to be good. The quiche with spinach and asparagus was delicious and a perfect summer breakfast treat.

The fig danish was in fact a brioche with figs and orange pastry cream. It was good, but I actually prefer the version from last year which was more simple and had no cream.

Seriously, get to the Arlington market when you can, early enough to taste the Shoebox Ovens yummy delights. Her range has expanded this year to include cole slaw and savory pies.

Yum

Picked up some Amor and the Samurai at the market yesterday (thanks for the recommendation CF). These are GOOD. I love the combo of chocolate and chile. Put it into a rich but light, crunchy crust with custardy inside cake and I'm a very happy camper. I rationed these to one every 3 hours and made the drive home in one shot.

Picked up some Amor and the Samurai at the market yesterday (thanks for the recommendation CF). These are GOOD. I love the combo of chocolate and chile. Put it into a rich but light, crunchy crust with custardy inside cake and I'm a very happy camper. I rationed these to one every 3 hours and made the drive home in one shot.

Even better slightly heated with a simple side of vanilla ice cream. But it gets everything a little to sticky when eating it that way while driving. :angry:

Even better slightly heated with a simple side of vanilla ice cream. But it gets everything a little to sticky when eating it that way while driving. :angry:
Now had you told me that yesterday, I would have saved one for when I got home! After a 12 hour drive, what's a 15 minute detour to the grocery?

I've had the Champagne Chocolate and the Armor and Samurai and they are sooooo good! I'm a fan of chocolate and chile (love the sweet/smoky/hot combo) and the champagne chocolate is pure decadence. I haven't been to the market in a few weeks but I've got to get there early or there isn't much left. Glad to see that the bakery is doing well. I'm long overdue to pick up some treats.

I haven't seen Shoebox Oven at the Arlington Farmers Market in a while. I'm not on the email list - was there an announcement or info on her market schedule?
I am on the email list and got one a few weeks ago announcing that week was her last week at the market. Not sure if that was just for the season or for good.

The website seems not to exist anymore. I was hoping to check on whether she'd be making Christmas cookies. Does anyone know if she has shut down permanently?

I sent her an email a couple of weeks ago, asking if it was possible to place an order, and I never heard back.....