Pizza - The Best Methods And Techniques to Make it At Home

alan7147

I've always wanted to try this, but have been intimidated by the burn factor. Plus, my dough making skills are sorely lacking.

Anyone have a dough recipe?

If you're short on time or just don't want to mess with making dough, I buy raw dough, ready made at Vace (Cleveland Park) or at The Italian Store (Arlington). Both are good and a great value/time saver. A friend of mine also does a good dough in the bread machine. If you have a machine, I'm sure it has a recipe with it.

Okay, last night I made pizza dough in my breadmaker. It turned out really well, flavor-wise - way tastier than any store-bought crust. However, I couldn't stretch it out to the point where it was thin enough, and it ended up being too thick for my liking (which also meant that it didn't crisp up as well). I would stretch it, but then it would un-stretch (for lack of a better word). Any tips or tricks?

Okay, last night I made pizza dough in my breadmaker. It turned out really well, flavor-wise - way tastier than any store-bought crust. However, I couldn't stretch it out to the point where it was thin enough, and it ended up being too thick for my liking (which also meant that it didn't crisp up as well). I would stretch it, but then it would un-stretch (for lack of a better word). Any tips or tricks?

By un-stretch I believe that you mean it shrunk back to its original shape. In that case the gluten needs to relax. Kneading creates that nice gluten structure that holds the desired shape and pizza does not need as much as a regular loaf of bread. You can let the dough rest on the counter for about 10-15 minutes then try to reshape again. Having no experience with a breadmaker, it could be the recipe that you used. Can you post it?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by un-stretch! Thanks. :lol:

Here's the recipe:

1 1/3 cups water (80 to 90 degrees F)

1 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons sea salt

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 1/4 cups bread flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

It all went into the breadmaker, and when it was all kneaded and rested, the instructions were to deflate it and then use it to make pizza.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by un-stretch! Thanks. :lol:

Here's the recipe:

1 1/3 cups water (80 to 90 degrees F)

1 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons sea salt

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 1/4 cups bread flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

It all went into the breadmaker, and when it was all kneaded and rested, the instructions were to deflate it and then use it to make pizza.

Without getting into all the hydration percentage details, that dough is rather dry and I would not expect it to yield a thin crust. The addition of WW flour will also make the dough drier. All that said I would increase the water to 1 3/4 cup. Depending on how dry the flour is it may need a 1-2 T more. This dough will be much more slack and get you a thinner crust.

Without getting into all the hydration percentage details, that dough is rather dry and I would not expect it to yield a thin crust. The addition of WW flour will also make the dough drier. All that said I would increase the water to 1 3/4 cup. Depending on how dry the flour is it may need a 1-2 T more. This dough will be much more slack and get you a thinner crust.

If you still have trouble, I would suggest doubling the amount of olive oil.

Overall, though, MDT is right: wetter is better, and rest the dough if it's too springy.

If you really want to get serious about making your own pizza dough quickly and reliably, pick up a copy of The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Not only is their pizza dough recipe stupidly easy, but the tips and information you get about breadmaking carry over really well to pizza dough.

NY Times article suggests a 24 hour rise.

That definitely helps the flavor. And in looking at their recipe the hydration level is 72%, which is about where I adjusted bettyjoan's recipe that was at 60%.

It is also a good idea to make up one large batch and create single portions that can be frozen in oiled ziploc bags. Just defrost in the fridge overnight and let come to RT for an hour or so before using.

I have gotten lazy this year with pizza at home....by buying Vace's dough. I know, I'm such a slug. But it's sooo easy and it makes a decent pie. I wish I could get the crust thinner, though.

What's giving you trouble in your thinning efforts?

What's giving you trouble in your thinning efforts?

Probably being impatient.

I want to try on overnight rise, next. But how can you get the dough really thin -- without tearing it and without manhandling it (say, with a rolling pin)? I can get it thin in parts, but nowhere near thin all over....

I want to try on overnight rise, next. But how can you get the dough really thin -- without tearing it and without manhandling it (say, with a rolling pin)? I can get it thin in parts, but nowhere near thin all over....

Yeah, it's all about letting it rest. If it's not thin enough, cover it, rest it, then thin it some more.

The key is to slowly stretch it over the back of your hands and rotating it with your thumbs. No need for needless tossing into the air. Make sense? It does take a bit of practice to get it even.

The key is to slowly stretch it over the back of your hands and rotating it with your thumbs. No need for needless tossing into the air. Make sense? It does take a bit of practice to get it even.

Yes, this works quite well with the Bread Baker's Apprentice dough recipe. I use my thumbs to rotate it around but try to let gravity do the actual stretching. I also find that partitioning my dough into individual balls and then giving them a good rest minimizes the amount of manhandling needed.

Pizza Margherita with Blue Ridge mozzarella and Red Rake basil. Used a new pizza stone from the Crate and Barrel Outlet ($15). We've been having cracking issues lately :)

Baked in the gas grill at about 600 degrees.

Decent char:

4701656258_538a893e52.jpg

I'd been making pizzas for almost 10 years and never had a stone crack on me until my ill-fated Weber pizza project. My understanding is that cracking comes about due to uneven heating. Is it possible that part of your grill is hotter than the other? You might want to try heating the stone in the oven, and then (quickly, with comical hot potato hijinks) carry it out to the grill.

Incidentally, the stone I cracked was the first one I'd ever bought. Every batch of pizza I'd ever made had at least one pie come off of it. I saved the pieces and, if I ever own a house with an area that can accommodate a brick oven, I'm going to mosaic the pieces over top.

Also, your food looks as amazing as always.

I'd been making pizzas for almost 10 years and never had a stone crack on me until my ill-fated Weber pizza project. My understanding is that cracking comes about due to uneven heating. Is it possible that part of your grill is hotter than the other? You might want to try heating the stone in the oven, and then (quickly, with comical hot potato hijinks) carry it out to the grill.

Incidentally, the stone I cracked was the first one I'd ever bought. Every batch of pizza I'd ever made had at least one pie come off of it. I saved the pieces and, if I ever own a house with an area that can accommodate a brick oven, I'm going to mosaic the pieces over top.

Also, your food looks as amazing as always.

Thanks Dan-we went through almost 2 pies :) We use the stone in the oven and in the grill. My thought on the cracking issue is that perhaps because schmootz drips on the stone, maybe the food stuff/grease heats too much and causes the cracking. I'm glad I happened to find a new one for cheapo!

Thanks Dan-we went through almost 2 pies :) We use the stone in the oven and in the grill. My thought on the cracking issue is that perhaps because schmootz drips on the stone, maybe the food stuff/grease heats too much and causes the cracking. I'm glad I happened to find a new one for cheapo!

I dunno. I've spilled enough pies with no ill effects. Maybe I'm just lucky. It just seems like a little water on the surface isn't enough to really crack it from the inside-out.

Is any store bought dough better than another? (specifically Italian Store v. Whole foods v. Trader Joes)

Sometimes, I find myself going through the back pages of some of the threads. I mention this because page 3 of the Dinner thread had a brief discussion about this 5 years ago. The bonus is mktye's homemade pizza dough recipe. I love finding the treasures on this site!

Edited to fix mktye's link that leleboo pointed out in post #225.

Edited by goodeats

Is any store bought dough better than another? (specifically Italian Store v. Whole foods v. Trader Joes)

I generally make my own, however when I'm really crushed for time (I like the cold rise method, which means I need to make it the day before I need it), Vace is my go to for premade dough. I'm not a huge fan of trader joe's and have never had the Italian Stores.

Granted, if you're not in Cleveland Park or Bethesda (where the Vace locations are), it probably just makes sense to get dough from wherever is closest to your home since there probably isn't THAT much of a difference between them.

Sometimes, I find myself going through the back pages of some of the threads. I mention this because page 3 of the Dinner thread had a brief discussion about this 5 years ago. The bonus is mktye's homemade pizza dough recipe. I love finding the treasures on this site!

[the aforementioned posts goodeats so awesomely referenced now provide the very impetus for this thread, and mktye's dough recipe is here. treasure indeed! :) ]

So I cheated tonight and used Vace dough to make pizza. It was good and chewy. But really too thick for my taste typically. Plus it fills me up too much too quickly, but it still hit the spot seriously well. Fresh wide sliced pepperoni on one pie and just a magherita with extra basil on the other. Mama!

Explain, please. :(

Sometimes, there can be a very strong sour, almost-injera-like aftertaste to sourdough that I rather not experience with my pizza. Especially because that taste stays with me for awhile after the sourdough sandwich has been consumed. The other sensation that sometimes happen with sourdough is this bitter or more alkaline-like aftertaste. Either way, both conjure memories that I rather not experience, so this is the best explanation I could conjure up.

Sometimes, there can be a very strong sour, almost-injera-like aftertaste to sourdough that I rather not experience with my pizza. Especially because that taste stays with me for awhile after the sourdough sandwich has been consumed. The other sensation that sometimes happen with sourdough is this bitter or more alkaline-like aftertaste. Either way, both conjure memories that I rather not experience, so this is the best explanation I could conjure up.

No problem using sourdough at all. You can control the amount of sour when making the starter. As mentioned above it takes a bit of practice and there are plenty of cookbooks and online resources that can help with learning how to regulate the sour. From thefreshloaf.com, a great resource for all types of bread baking info and discussion.

Remember there are two main "sours" in sourdough that we humans can easily smell and taste—'vinegary' sour (acetic acid) and 'yoghurty' sour (lactic acid). Do you know (or suspect) which one is the MAIN culprit of your too-sour sourdough? If so, it's easy to adjust or control with just a few degrees in temperature. (Slightly warmer temps seem to encourage the lactobacilli over the ones that make vinegar...)

The photos on that site of the actual pizzas don't look particularly impressive. Even though you're keeping heat in with this contraption, the Weber lid just isn't the right size or material to radiate heat down onto the pizza the way a brick oven is.

True, but it sure beats taking the lid on and off, plus, with a few unglazed tiles on the rack the crust should come out better than losing all the heat as you lift the lid.

The photos on that site of the actual pizzas don't look particularly impressive. Even though you're keeping heat in with this contraption, the Weber lid just isn't the right size or material to radiate heat down onto the pizza the way a brick oven is.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a high temperature adhesive that one could use to glue tiles to the inside of the lid.

It also looks like it is a pain to add more fuel when needed.

Latest and greatest:

Homemade sausage made from Steve Baker's pork shoulder, San Marzano tomato sauce, homemade ricotta...

167340_806706696204_5317785_43613397_7155431_n.jpg

Dry aged NY strip (from Ray's the Steaks), St. Pete's blue, San Marzano tomato sauce. (SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP)

Roasted garlic, spinach, mushroom, homemade ricotta.

163713_806706366864_5317785_43613389_7105161_n.jpg

Your pizza looks super-how did you get the great brown parts on the crust? The best homemade pizza I've tasted recently was when my sister did some on the grill last fall, I'm tempted to get a pizza grill pan, in lieu of building a backyard pizza oven...

Your pizza looks super-how did you get the great brown parts on the crust? The best homemade pizza I've tasted recently was when my sister did some on the grill last fall, I'm tempted to get a pizza grill pan, in lieu of building a backyard pizza oven...

Get your oven super hot. Leave it hot for at least 30 minutes. Use two pizza stones: one in the middle, one right under the broiler. Start your pizza on the bottom. Finish it on the top.

Bam. :)

Get your oven super hot. Leave it hot for at least 30 minutes. Use two pizza stones: one in the middle, one right under the broiler. Start your pizza on the bottom. Finish it on the top.

Bam. :)

And if you have a convection oven there is no need to move the pie.

The point of moving it is to expose the top to the radiant heat of the broiler. Convection wouldn't do it.

So do you turn your oven to broil? How far away is the pizza from the element? Do you keep the oven door ajar when it is under the broiler? Once you close the oven door the thermostat regulates the heat and will turn off the element when the oven gets to temperature.

That all said, convection and upper and lower layers of tile works really well in my oven. The layer of tiles above the pizza radiate heat pretty well.

So do you turn your oven to broil? How far away is the pizza from the element? Do you keep the oven door ajar when it is under the broiler? Once you close the oven door the thermostat regulates the heat and will turn off the element when the oven gets to temperature.

That all said, convection and upper and lower layers of tile works really well in my oven. The layer of tiles above the pizza radiate heat pretty well.

I do a couple of things. One, I run the broiler for several minutes with the oven empty so the top stone gets screaming hot.

Then when the pizza is on the top rack I run the broiler IF NEEDED. Very often the coil (I have an electric oven) will be plenty hot off to crisp up the top of the pizza.

Had a pizza night with friends last night - I don't have any fancy equipment, but I do, fortunately, have an oven that gets very hot. We used Trader Joe's crusts (both white and wheat), and I was pleasantly surprised with how nicely they rolled out. We had lots of toppings/cheeses/sauces to choose from, but my favorites ended up being the straight-up margherita and my "kitchen sink" version with sweet apple sausage, pesto, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, and a mozzarella/swiss/gruyere mix. My kitchen was a mess from all the flour, but it was so worth it - what a fun night!

So the latest fad in pizza making also happens to be one I intend to keep around for a long time: using a hot rolled steel plate instead of a pizza stone. In my case, 16"x17"x0.5".

You can say it's patriotic. Good old fashioned all-American steel!

I did some tinkering to find the best way to heat it up as hotly and as quickly as possible (serendipitously, they're one in the same): a combination of broiler and convection.

post-1225-0-25971800-1312416197_thumb.jp

Then I made a simple Neapolitan pie using 10% of a 100% hydration starter I've been keeping for about a year. The result was hands down the best home oven pizza I have ever eaten. By orders of magnitude. The only difference was the use of the steel plate instead of a stone!

post-1225-0-51647600-1312416178_thumb.jp

post-1225-0-27662700-1312416192_thumb.jp

Next time I'll try bringing it closer to the broiler and see if I can get those elusive leopard spots!

Then I made a simple Neapolitan pie using 10% of a 100% hydration starter I've been keeping for about a year. The result was hands down the best home oven pizza I have ever eaten. By orders of magnitude. The only difference was the use of the steel plate instead of a stone!

My initial impression from the top picture is that it heated unevenly, but the bottom seems to debunk that (and yet, the right side of the bottom looks a little bready (but that crust looks nice and sour regardless)).

This is sort of like a physician diagnosing a war injury sustained in Ghana via the internet.