mame11

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare

You have to go halfway down on the linked page, but Tony B. and Mario B. were having a chat and some beers in front of a large audience. The topic turned to Rachel Ray and other celeb chefs... see for yourself :-)

Tony and Mario sear Rachel

If anyone could make Marco Pierre White his bitch, I would have to go with Batali. :unsure:

Does either still have anything relationship with Food Network?

If anyone could make Marco Pierre White his bitch, I would have to go with Batali. :unsure:

Does either still have anything relationship with Food Network?

I think the extent of Mario Batali's relationship with Food Network is limited to Iron Chef America, although they still show re-runs of Molto Mario (the show is no longer produced). I don't think that Bourdain has any assocation with FN, although they do occasionally re-run A Cook's Tour.

With all the (deserved) drubbing Gordan Ramsay's received for the Tempation Island-meets-Apprentice culinary sinkhole that is Hell's Kitchen, it has been wonderful to see again the chef doing what he presumably does best: whispering, not barking, orders in the kitchen. Each week on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, Chef Ramsay is summoned to a fledgling restaurant (his vision of a nightmare), and he has only a week to turn the place around. Last week he was sent to a French outpost in Scotland (now known as Abstract), completely staffed by chefs who had previously worked in Michelin-star establishments and were oblivious of the fact that their high-minded French approach was alienating the locals, and Ramsay had to work slowly and subtly to get them to completely change their approach. I won't spoil the details, but watching him jump into an unknown kitchen and immediately grasp what's working and what isn't is fascinating, and listening to him curse is almost musical. I wish FOX had the mind to do this show instead.

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (Wednesday's at 9 p.m. on BBC America)

Review of Season One of RKN on Slate

Oh yeah, I love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares! Great show! Is there another season coming up?

ETA: DUDE! A quiz on British restaurant slang! brb!!

EETA: 4 out of 5! :unsure:

Oh yeah, I love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares! Great show! Is there another season coming up?

Ah, I should have mentioned that the new season started at the end of May (something I was unaware of until this Tuesday, but I'll have to catch those episodes in re-runs). There's going to be eight episodes this season -- that's twice the bollocks as last time!

And you fared better than me -- I got 2 out of 5.

Excellent...I hadden't heard about that. If it's like season two, it'll be half new episodes, and half revisiting places from season 2. That is...in the half hour show, they'll re-play most of the season 2 episode with seven minutes of new footage for the visit.

Excellent...I hadden't heard about that. If it's like season two, it'll be half new episodes, and half revisiting places from season 2. That is...in the half hour show, they'll re-play most of the season 2 episode with seven minutes of new footage for the visit.

Yeah, I think these are all-new, one hour of cheeky goodness shows. The one I saw last week didn't involve going back to any of the old joints. But I would love to see what happened to the kid who almost poisoned Ramsay in season one.

Yeah, I think these are all-new, one hour of cheeky goodness shows. The one I saw last week didn't involve going back to any of the old joints. But I would love to see what happened to the kid who almost poisoned Ramsay in season one.
He revisited Bonapartes in the last episode of season 2.

Poisoned Ramsay? Do tell...

Me too :D Would have been nice if they'd translated the Cockney slang answers for those who aren't 'fluent' [not me B) ] (i.e., Pete Tong....)

I still think my favorite Ramsay bit was on "Faking It" when the guy was doing prep work in one of Ramsay's kitchens, tells someone to "julian" some carrots and Ramsay goes off about "Julian?!?! Julian!? Who the f#*& is JULIAN!?!?" ;):P

Poisoned Ramsay? Do tell...

This young twit named Tim was running the kitchen of a Yorkshire bistro. One of the first things the chefs at the troubled restaurants do is cook their signature dish for Ramsay. In this case, it was scallops. But they had gone bad (the chef was notoriously bad at keeping his stock up to date), and Ramsay spent the next few minutes of the show throwing them up and cursing the kid. Granted, it would have been more entertaining if it had been intentional, but all the same it makes for great TV.

Don't forget the young twit's ambition. He didn't want to be a mere chef - he wanted to be the best kind, a TV chef. When Gordon caught up with Tim for the revisit episode, those aspirations had switched to pure showbiz. Ah, youth. Bet he still can't make a decent omelette.

I'd love to see Gordon - or an American equivalent - do a similar show in the US without having it dumbed down for the American audience. Fat chance.

Saddest. Season. Ever.

I assume you mean the second season. I've only seen the first four episodes of it (Momma Cherri, La Lanterna, La Riviera, and D-Place). Are the other four even worse? D-Place was freaking sad indeed. At least Momma Cherri is still thriving.

Should be interesting to note the differences between the UK and US versions. Methinks that the American kitchen staff won't be as receptive to Gordon's input.

Should be interesting to note the differences between the UK and US versions. Methinks that the American kitchen staff won't be as receptive to Gordon's input.
If last night's episode was any indication, they have turned the sensationalism (and the budget) waay up for the US version. In the UK version, it seemed as though you got more of a sense of the people behind the restaurant and their struggles - and you want to root for them. Last night I just laughed my butt off at Peter, who I bet takes the LIRR in to the city every weekend to eat at a Chodorow joint...Also missing was the usual re-visit in a few months, but Fox could be saving those moments for a "where are they now episode" toward the end of the season.

Also missing was the usual re-visit in a few months, but Fox could be saving those moments for a "where are they now episode" toward the end of the season.
Agreed, I always liked the re-visit at the end of the UK version. And what's the deal with him buying them all new kitchen equipment? What a joke. The place is going under and the way to deal with it is to pretend you're Ty Pennington and drop 30 grand on all new gear? In the UK version, he would have made Peter drop the lease on that Benz and sell off some of his stuff to buy the needed kitchen gear.