Eating on I-95 Between Washington, DC and Richmond

The Mat River, Ta River, Po River, and the Ni River.

This has always amused me - you see a couple of them (I think the Po and the Ni) driving down I-95 towards Richmond.

Good thing they decided to call it the "York River" at its confluence with the Pamunkey River; otherwise we'd have a mess of a name.

---

[Note - I found an inconsistency: there's a Richmond thread in The Intrepid Traveler forum, but there are also individual restaurants listed in the Virginia Dining Guide which reside in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum. It's up to me to resolve this, eventually, but for now, just be aware that both exist.]

This has always amused me - you see a couple of them (I think the Po and the Ni) driving down I-95 towards Richmond.

Good thing they decided to call it the "York River" at its confluence with the Pamunkey River; otherwise we'd have a mess of a name.

As you drive north on 95 from Richmond, you cross the Matta (after the Mat and the Ta have already joined,) the Po, and the Ni.

It make less sense when you're driving south and cross them in reverse order.

[Note - I found an inconsistency: there's a Richmond thread in The Intrepid Traveler forum, but there are also individual restaurants listed in the Virginia Dining Guide which reside in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum. It's up to me to resolve this, eventually, but for now, just be aware that both exist.]

I'm trying to eat out enough and write enough reviews for Richmond to get a forum unto itself, but I'm just one man.

I'm trying to eat out enough and write enough reviews for Richmond to get a forum unto itself, but I'm just one man.

Richmond, in my time: Edo's Squid, Buzz and Ned's, Bill's BBQ, 3rd St Diner, Lemaire, Comfort, Millie's Diner, Penny Lane (for Scouser fun)

Fredericksburg: Allmans BBQ, Dixie Bones, La Petite Auberge

Every Cracker Barrel along the way, particularly the one by Manassas, as it is right by the battlefields of both 1st and 2nd Manassas

Richmond, in my time: Edo's Squid, Buzz and Ned's, Bill's BBQ, 3rd St Diner, Lemaire, Comfort, Millie's Diner, Penny Lane (for Scouser fun)

Fredericksburg: Allmans BBQ, Dixie Bones, La Petite Auberge

Every Cracker Barrel along the way, particularly the one by Manassas, as it is right by the battlefields of both 1st and 2nd Manassas

You must have discovered a unique method of ordering at Cracker Barrel....please share your secret!

This thread can't be about eating along the I-95 corrodor and not mention Peter Chang's in both Fredericksburg and Richmond.

My wife lived in Fredericksburg for a few years while getting her Masters at UMW so I was there basically every other weekend and hit up every spot in town. We like Foode a lot for a casual lunch (they don't have a lot of seating, so you might have to wait a while). The best dinner spot in town is Bistro Bethem which always has a changing menu with sort of New American dishes, and some pizzas and sandwiches thrown in for good measure.

This thread can't be about eating along the I-95 corrodor and not mention Peter Chang's in both Fredericksburg and Richmond.

Here are the only three things needed:

1) Phone Number (540) 786-8988

2) Menu (screen-shot in six pieces - the link also goes to the restaurant's website):

post-2-0-79056000-1422233084_thumb.png post-2-0-18537900-1422233100_thumb.png post-2-0-48498000-1422233109_thumb.png post-2-0-18816200-1422233117_thumb.png post-2-0-00428200-1422233127_thumb.png post-2-0-55524000-1422233139_thumb.png

DO NOT use your cell phone while driving (you might spill your food)!

3) Address (cut-and-paste into your GPS, after you have safely parked).

1771 Carl D Silver Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22401

Directions from Southbound *and* Northbound I-95 (it's a cloverleaf - just make sure to head West on Plank Road which is always exit 130B)

1. Take Exit 130B for Plank Road West

2. Take an immediate right on Carl D. Silver Parkway (you'll be heading north, parallel to I-95)

3. Peter Chang's will be 1 mile on your right, same strip mall as DSW Shoes, Bonefish Grill, etc. which doesn't speak much to the future of the place, but hey.

"Tell them you're personal friends with Don Rockwell!"

#Quantico #Respect

Working off my iPad remotely, so I'll edit this with more specifics in a few days....but the Tun Tavern at the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico merits a mention. Take any Marine you know for an honest beer and burger there. He or she will thank you. (So will I.)

Here is the Tun Tavern at the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico. I can vouch for the Militia Burger, and the Brunswick Stew is passable. But note that "Anheuser-Busch Products Proudly Served." I'm not sure what to make of that, but then, if you've ever choked down an MRE, you know what the palate of a typical Marine is like.

• Like 2

2 of my favorite Fredericksburg restaurants are Choi's Korean and South Vietnam House- both are located on the same road as Peter Chang's one strip down.

Once Spring arrives McCoys Barbecue sets up on weekends on Rt 3 a mile or so west of 95. The smoked mac and cheese is great.

Allman's bbq right by the battlefield in Fredericksburg holds a special place in my heart, not the best but honest and plenty good 'nuf

In Richmond, Millie's diner in church hill is a weirdly good bet for breakfast/lunch, if y'all find yourselves there in the pm, edo's squid by VCU is a CANT MISS