Teocalli Tamale, on Elden Street in Herndon - Closed

Teocalli Tamali, an unassuming eaterie in Herndon, was featured in the Post's Worth The Trip. But the reporter blew it. The Mikes Mexolina is the best filling, but she failed to mention the wonderful corn salsa. The corn salsa is draped over the tacos in the picture. You will also want to specify soft corn tacos as you order.

The tamales at Teocalli are okay and tasty enough, but not a standout like the tacos.

This is an order-at-the-counter sort of place, with a cheerful interior, definitely kid-friendly. There's a huge hot sauce collection on the wall if your salsa didn't do the trick for you. Some of the sauces are available for purchase.

I agree that the Mikes Mexolina is the best filling! Of course I always forget what it's called but since you can see the options as you order you just need to remember that what you want is the the shredded beef :unsure: As to what to order.... The hubby prefers doing a fajita burrito with the shredded beef (Mexolina), blackbeans, and chipotle sauce (nice and spicy). As for me Mexolina soft flour tacos with chipotle..... Don't forget to get a side of guacomole. Really nice and fresh.

We've been popping there for lunch since they opened as this is just around the corner for us for a quick lunch during the work week.

By the way this is my first post...... Just getting my feet wet.

Has anyone been to Teocalli Tamale recently?

The place seems to have changed a fair amount: the tables and floor are the same, but there are lots of pictures of different types of food above the old food-service counter.

While there are exceptions, I take the whole pictures-of-the-food thing as a sign that caution may be required.

So, is it the same, or has something major changed? (And more importantly is it still tasty?)

(me, making a rare food-related post, who knew?!?)

Has anyone been to Teocalli Tamale recently?

The place seems to have changed a fair amount: the tables and floor are the same, but there are lots of pictures of different types of food above the old food-service counter.

While there are exceptions, I take the whole pictures-of-the-food thing as a sign that caution may be required.

So, is it the same, or has something major changed? (And more importantly is it still tasty?)

(me, making a rare food-related post, who knew?!?)

We're still going there once a quarter or so. I believe they may have changed ownership, possibly combining with one of the other restaurants in the K-mart plaza. The original menu is still intact, and still just as delicious, but they're also offering a lot of what I believe are Salvadoran dishes. Generally, it seems to be a good addition, particularly at dinner time.

The pictures-of-food thing may be to (1) help out some marginally literate diners and (2) help some literate but confused-about-what's in a dish diners.