DonRocks

The Washington Nationals (2005-), 2016 and 2017 National League East Division Champions

On 3/31/2019 at 7:43 PM, MC Horoscope said:

Whoa, what a walk off knock for T Turner Sunday! Bullpen can't handle inning 8 yet! Gonna be a tense year, I believe!

And they still can't handle the 8th (or 7th, or 9th, or whatever inning they are called on for relief).  An 8.00+ ERA for the 'pen so far!  That is atrocious.  I guess we should be thankful that nobody has an infinite ERA any longer ...

Edit: I should note (because I just looked it up and it surprised me) that the Nats relievers have thrown the fewest innings, and by a pretty good margin! Usually when the bullpen is struggling it's because they are overworked night after night (see the O's who sit just above the Nats with the 2nd worst reliever ERA, but have thrown the most innings).  The Nats bullpen has just been flat out bad so far.  Wonder if there is anybody out there looking for work?

Lilliquist out. Who's next?

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

That was incredible!  For my money the Dan-Uggla-sending-the-Braves-packing game is still the most entertaining come back in Nats history, but this is close.

I had been keeping up with the score on my phone while doing stuff around the house and hadn't even checked in after the Mets scored their third or fourth run in the 9th, when I turned on MASN fully expecting to just watch the post-game coverage.  Instead I happened to tune in during the wind up of the final pitch.  It took me a few seconds to realize what I was watching was live, and why FP Santangelo was screaming himself hoarse.  That was fun.

What a turn around since this thread was last active in May.  Best record in the game.  Almost surely a wild card team.  The bullpen is still pins and needles, but the Nats have my ticket money for another round of nail biting playoff baseball.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 5:09 PM, TedE said:

Almost surely a wild card team.

*Gulp*

Buckle up.  20 games left, of which only 3 are against an opponent who is out of the playoff picture.  8 of those games are against NL teams currently battling for the 2nd WC spot (Phillies and Brewers, both are currently 5 games back of the Nats).

On 9/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, TedE said:

*Gulp*

Buckle up.  20 games left, of which only 3 are against an opponent who is out of the playoff picture.  8 of those games are against NL teams currently battling for the 2nd WC spot (Phillies and Brewers, both are currently 5 games back of the Nats).

Finally, with certainty, a Wild Card team as of Tuesday (was that 5-game sweep satisfying or what?!).  There is still a decent chance to take home field for the WC, they are 1 up on Milwaukee but need to keep that margin because MIL owns the head-to-head record.  However, MIL is also only one down on the Cards for the division, so they have something more important to fight for.  AND Cleveland comes into town still with a razor thin chance to make the AL WC (they would need to sweep the Nats and hope Tampa Bay loses at least 2 out of 3).  So, nobody involved in the Nats' fate is coasting to the end of the season.  Best case scenario would be for them to hold onto the top WC spot and have MIL and StL end up in a tie for the NL Central.  If Sunday's game is meaningful for those teams they will both probably burn a top starter, and then if they end up tied will burn ANOTHER one in the tie breaker game on Monday.  That leaves someone middle of the rotation for the Wild Card game.  Max is lined up to start on Tuesday no matter what the outcomes are.

See you in the post-season!

• Like 1

For no reason other than general channel surfing last night, I wound up watching them win the Wild Card game and get into the playoffs.  Nice clutch hitting but even nicer patience at the plate.  Congrats.

• Like 2

That was nuts last night. I've never high-fived so many strangers in my life. It was my fifth game in eight days, and I was pretty worn out, especially with the late start time. My legs didn't want to hold me up any more and everyone in front of me was standing the whole game. So I was popping up and down from my seat. I'm thoroughly exhausted and don't have much voice left, but they did it!

Funny thing is I like to sit in left, behind where Soto plays, but the tickets I had last night were in right. Sitting out of place, I got quite a view of Soto's game-winning hit.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Pat said:

That was nuts last night. I've never high-fived so many strangers in my life. It was my fifth game in eight days, and I was pretty worn out, especially with the late start time. My legs didn't want to hold me up any more and everyone in front of me was standing the whole game. So I was popping up and down from my seat. I'm thoroughly exhausted and don't have much voice left, but they did it!

Funny thing is I like to sit in left, behind where Soto plays, but the tickets I had last night were in right. Sitting out of place, I got quite a view of Soto's game-winning hit.

Good for you.  No great for you.  There are times when being a fan is FANTASTIC.  Last night was one of those nights.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pat said:

I only saw the replay once - was it a clear error, or something of a bad hop? Should the guy have tried to pull a Ron Swoboda?

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I only saw the replay once - was it a clear error, or something of a bad hop? Should the guy have tried to pull a Ron Swoboda?

According to Grisham it was a little bit of both.  Poor guy has been asked the same question in a number of different settings and he owns up to it: he was setting his body up to scoop and throw the ball to maybe get the second runner (it would had to have been maybe the most perfect outfield assist in history, though), and the ball had some topspin and took a weird hop to his right as his momentum was going the other way.  No time to change direction.  Looking at the replays during the broadcast I said to myself he *may* have been able to just fall down and hope to block it with some part of his body, but he was 100% committed to trying to get that ball to home plate.

3 hours ago, TedE said:

According to Grisham it was a little bit of both.  Poor guy has been asked the same question in a number of different settings and he owns up to it: he was setting his body up to scoop and throw the ball to maybe get the second runner (it would had to have been maybe the most perfect outfield assist in history, though), and the ball had some topspin and took a weird hop to his right as his momentum was going the other way.  No time to change direction.  Looking at the replays during the broadcast I said to myself he *may* have been able to just fall down and hope to block it with some part of his body, but he was 100% committed to trying to get that ball to home plate.

As soon as the ball got down I said to myself, "OK, tie game!" Grisham's real error was thinking he had a play at the plate.

• Like 2

Hold on to your butts!  Yet another NLDS Game 5 to suffer through. I have ticket partners who have refused any and all tickets to NLDS games this year semi-joking that they are the jinxes holding the Nats back (although one of them tempted fate on Monday and was rewarded with his first in person victory in 5 NLDS tries, so maybe this is their year!).  If Strasburg can continue his post-season dominance and get through 7 innings the Nats have a good chance, but if their bats can't produce more than 2 runs before we get to the 'pen ....

Go Nats!!

• Like 2

I have too many Dodger fan in laws to not appreciate (& chuckle over) this result. 😂

He brought in Kershaw.  And the Nats did what they do.

Congratulations.

I’m going to subscribe to the @washingtonpost just so I can read @ThomasBoswellWP’s column about this.

IMHO subscribing to the Post is a generally good idea.  I'm prejudiced pro Post.  Their reporting is excellent and they are probably doing the best job in ferreting out some of the crazy ship from the current administration.

And as to the game, I fell asleep before the Kendricks Kowabunga grand slam that won the game.  Kowabunga--> a memorable shot in Nats history.  I did see the "get your hopes up" back to back homers by Rendon and Soto.  Way to go Nats!!!!!

• Like 1

Are you all avoiding talking about their recent wins (as of this post, they are 2-0 over the Cards) due to superstition about hexing them or is it just indifference? 

I wouldn't be missing a chance to gloat/brag/be happy if I was youse guys.  Just sayin'. 🧛‍♂️