The Washington Nationals (2005-), 2019 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS! W00000000000T!

DonRocks

Amazing how quiet this thread has been over the past six weeks until the Nats took the lead last night.  I guess that's the Natitude referred to in the thread title.

Analyzing moment-to-moment details of baseball is something of a fool's errand - a team wins 6 out of 10 games and they're great; a team wins 4 out of 10 games and they're terrible. Parity in baseball.

Perhaps your frustration with the Nats is less that the inherent parity of baseball reduces their talent advantage, and more that the Nats are just not as good as you thought they would be?

Also, it's April.

No, it's the middle of June. :P

I'm just pissed because a week of West Coast games means I couldn't stay awake to listen to the entire games. Luckily for me, however, I felt safe enough to go to bed when the Nats were up by quite a bit in the late innings. The results have been too late for the WaPo, though, and local TV has found every reason on the planet to ignore this sensational run.

After this afternoon's loss, they are off to a more civilized (time-wise) series in St. Louis. Should be interesting.

I just love this team (as if no one could tell).

While I normally don't believe in these things I strongly suspect there is a heavenly curse of some sort on the Nats when playing Atlanta and secondarily St Louis.

I suppose sacrificing a goat couldn't hurt and might help.

While I normally don't believe in these things I strongly suspect there is a heavenly curse of some sort on the Nats when playing Atlanta and secondarily St Louis.

I suppose sacrificing a goat couldn't hurt and might help.

Bring it to the picnic, and have agm bring his La Caja China (may want to vote for the earlier Sundays).

• Like 1

Two wins in a row against Atlanta.  At this point I suspect that the threat and consideration of an ancient ritualistic sacrifice of a goat and all the elements that go hand in hand with this ritual must have affected atmospheric conditions and might have changed the positions of the sun, and moon;  all leading to Nats hits falling in, Braves hits landing in gloves, Nats pitches biting the corners and Braves pitches laying fat for a Nat bat.

Maybe we should sacrifice a goat before the US plays Germany in the World Cup--;)

"Pitching, defense, and three-run homers."

-- Earl Weaver

There are 5 teams in each Division (East, Central, West) in both leagues.

Right now, in the National League, the Central Division has the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams with the best records vis-a-vis corresponding teams in the other divisions, e.g., the 2nd-place teams in each division are Atlanta (East, .507), St. Louis (Central, .545), and LA (West, .538).

Interestingly, the Eastern Division has the "best worst team" with the 5th-place Phillies.

This is a roundabout way of saying that the Nationals had better win the East Division if they want to make the playoffs - the wildcard could very easily come from the Central Division.

Everyone keeps saying Strasburg is having an all-star year, and is the Nats' ace - even Thomas Boswell is saying this ... I admit that I haven't scrutinized things closely enough to voice a strong opinion, but why do I feel like I keep waiting for him to become something other than "talented?"

No doubt the surgery is still having effects on him (and probably always will), but where is all this greatness that I keep reading about? Strasburg's strikeout-to-walk ratio is *amazing*, but that alone is not convincing me.

Everyone keeps saying Strasburg is having an all-star year, and is the Nats' ace - even Thomas Boswell is saying this ... I admit that I haven't scrutinized things closely enough to voice a strong opinion, but why do I feel like I keep waiting for him to become something other than "talented?"

No doubt the surgery is still having effects on him (and probably always will), but where is all this greatness that I keep reading about? Strasburg's strikeout-to-walk ratio is *amazing*, but that alone is not convincing me.

:angry:

I watched the latest win.  Another walk off winning run in the last inning.

Whoa.  The Nats are good.  But we are also riding a lucky streak with a lot of walk off one run victories in the last at bat.  Karma is at work.  To those that cheer for the Nats;  wear the same clothes, eat the same food, refrain from showering.  Cross your fingers.

Its likely the winning streak will extend from 10 to 20...(and you might lose a few friends in the process)  :)

"For streaks that have included both regular and postseason games, the 1970 and 1971 Baltimore Orioles hold the top two positions with 17 and 16 consecutive victories, respectively." :) <--- That's pretty damned amazing, actually!

It's pretty scary that the Yankees won 12 World Series games in a row - 1927, 1928, and 1932.

All this aside, baseball is more like backgammon than analysts want to admit - you can be the best in the world and only win 60% of the time.

Question for my fellow Nats fans: what upcoming game will clinch the division? I'm interested in tickets for their next (and last) home stand for the season, and if they haven't clinched it by their return to DC, obviously I'd like to be there when they do. Predictions please!

Question for my fellow Nats fans: what upcoming game will clinch the division? I'm interested in tickets for their next (and last) home stand for the season, and if they haven't clinched it by their return to DC, obviously I'd like to be there when they do. Predictions please!

The Magic Number is 10.

10/10 Braves at Nats

10/11 Nats at Mets,

10/12 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/13 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/14 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/15 Nats at Braves

10/16 Nats at Braves

10/17 Nats at Braves

10/18 Nats at Marlins

10/19 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

10/20 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

10/21 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

That's 22 games total - the only way you're going to see the Nats clinch a tie or win is to get tickets for the 10/23 - 10/25 home series against the Mets (and even then, you'll need to pull for the Braves in the interim).

The Magic Number is 10.

10/10 Braves at Nats

10/11 Nats at Mets,

10/12 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/13 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/14 Nats at Mets, Braves at Rangers

10/15 Nats at Braves

10/16 Nats at Braves

10/17 Nats at Braves

10/18 Nats at Marlins

10/19 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

10/20 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

10/21 Nats at Marlins, Mets at Braves

That's 22 games total - the only way you're going to see the Nats clinch a tie or win is to get tickets for the 10/23 - 10/25 home series against the Mets (and even then, you'll need to pull for the Braves in the interim).

And 5 days later, the Magic Number is 2.

The Assignment: Using only one video, demonstrate the words "peons" and "eons" simultaneously.

The Answer:

One little statlet that many people don't know about:

Many folks know that Stephen Strasburg is leading the NL in Ks with 230.

What some people also know is that Strasburg is also doing very well in the important K/BB ratio statistic (the ratio of strikeouts to walks) with 5.75.

This makes Strasburg #3 in the NL, with Clayton Kershaw, not surprisingly, being #1 (*).

However, what many people don't know is that Jordan Zimmerman is #2 in the NL in this statistic, with a ratio of 6.

So the Nationals have 2 out of top 3 in the NL in K/BB ratio, and with Tanner Roark, 3 out of the top 15.

Here's your source.

(*) Boy, what a season Kershaw is having: 19-3, with a 1.70 ERA and 219 strikeouts. These are historic numbers, and Kershaw's season will be looked back upon as one of the greatest ever. Especially if he goes over the magic 20-win mark, people will be talking about this season for decades to come. And I think it's pretty safe to say he'll win his 3rd Cy Young Award in 4 years this season. Here are some comparisons with some of the greatest seasons ever.

(*) Boy, what a season Kershaw is having: 19-3, with a 1.70 ERA and 219 strikeouts. These are historic numbers, and Kershaw's season will be looked back upon as one of the greatest ever. Especially if he goes over the magic 20-win mark, people will be talking about this season for decades to come. And I think it's pretty safe to say he'll win his 3rd Cy Young Award in 4 years this season. Here are some comparisons with some of the greatest seasons ever.

Ron Guidry-like (says the NYC homer who doesn't even like the Yankees)

Ron Guidry-like (says the NYC homer who doesn't even like the Yankees)

"Bryce Harper: 'Yankees' Derek Jeter Is 'Captain Of All Baseball'" on si.com

Some more amazing statlets:

Derek Jeter is the #2 all-time MLB hits leader for right-handed batters (#6 for all batters) behind only Hank Aaron.

His prototype, Cal Ripken, is #8 all-time (#15 for all batters).

It's true! In fact, out of those top 15 all-time hits leaders, *only* Derek Jeter has played less seasons (20*) than Cal Ripken (21 - several people in the top 15 did it in 21 seasons).

Furthermore, Cal Ripken got more hits in the 1980s and 1990s than any other player in baseball (yes, more than Gwynn and Boggs).

What happened to shortstops not being able to hit?

(*) I'm sure people like Pete Rose would be on the list even if they'd played less than 20 years, so yes, this is kind of a bogus claim.

It's been amazing to watch him this year, but as is noted now and then he tends to have a bit of a late season fade that may hurt LA when it really matters.  Another relevant statlet:

ERA so far this September:

Clayton Kershaw - 2.17

The entire Nats staff - 2.28

Dodger's team ERA for the month sits is over 4.  That could be a fun NLCS.

• Like 1

My annual rite of going to baseball games late in the year (procrastination) and the ability to go while it's still dirt cheap = 18 straight innings of shutout baseball (Gonzalez, Thornton, and Storen's joint effort last night* and Fister's complete game three-hitter this afternoon).  Right now it's 3-1 Nats in the top the 2nd with two on, the shutout streak is gone and the bats are certainly getting a workout so far on both sides.

*As of the typing of this post while sitting on the couch because I decided not to go for the trifecta, the headline on the ESPN link above is "Nats' Zimmerman plays 7 Innings in loss to Mets".  Oops.

Final score:  15-7 Marlins; Marlins had a grand slam and Werth almost hit for the cycle.

To Jordan Zimmermann.  The Nats' first no hitter.

And to Steven Souza Jr. for helping him seal it with an incredible catch.

I agree, a fine catch. Am I going to be chided for saying it wasn't "incredible?" I mean, under the circumstances, yes, incredible - final game, first-ever no-hitter, two outs in the bottom of the ninth, rookie up from the minors, etc. But he did overrun the ball by a step, then had to bend himself backwards a little bit because he did, and that made it look more dramatic than it was.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not criticizing the catch; I'm merely saying that I would call it very good, maybe even excellent. But every single thing I've read about it (and I've probably read fifty things or more) say "incredible," "miraculous," etc., and I just can't quite go there.

I feel like a Boo-Hog. Kind of like the people who are grousing about the Derek Jeter celebrations. Okay, fine. Call it incredible.

One thing I'll say is that I'll bet it was exciting as *hell* to watch in person. Did anyone? Where were you sitting, and what was going through your minds?

The MLB playoffs are less important *to me* than the regular season because the best team doesn't always win the World Series, but the best team *always* has the best regular-season record. The Nats, even if they don't bring home the trophy, have had a fabulous year - just an absolute pleasure to witness. And yet, I'm still smarting from 1969 and 1971, darn it. This stupid, vacuous society only values people or teams if they "win it all." The mighty Atlanta Braves won *14 straight division titles* from 1991-2005, but only won in 1995 - that's 13 out of 14 times they lost, and people don't remember just what a great team they were. Well, I do.

I watched the bottom of the 9th not knowing that there was a no-hitter in progress (I saw the first couple innings and then had to quit watching for a while).

When Souza made the catch and everyone went nuts I was very happy and wished I had been there in person.  Personally, it was a great catch, especially considering that he knew what the result would be either way.

This was the first no-hitter pitched by a Washington pitcher since 1931.  But because this team carries on the legacy of the Expos, they carry on the legacy of Dennis Martinez's perfect game.  Zimmermann can join the team history of legendary pitching performances.

One thing I'll say is that I'll bet it was exciting as *hell* to watch in person. Did anyone? Where were you sitting, and what was going through your minds?

We were at the stadium on the early side simply because one of my season ticket partners had a couple extras and it was a nice day to soak up the final day of an incredible regular season.  We got those spiffy winter hats for the family, had a hot dog, and then left before the first pitch because the kids needed to get home for naps :(

I listened to the game progress as I was driving around town running various errands.  Ended up spending the last 25 minutes sitting in the parking lot of the Georgetown Safeway listening to Charlie and Dave talk around the no-hitter without actually mentioning the words in order not to jinx it.  I think I scared the crap out of the lot attendant with a very loud "Fuck yeah!" when the final out was recorded.

• Like 1

I agree, a fine catch. Am I going to be chided for saying it wasn't "incredible?" I mean, under the circumstances, yes, incredible - final game, first-ever no-hitter, two outs in the bottom of the ninth, rookie up from the minors, etc. But he did overrun the ball by a step, then had to bend himself backwards a little bit because he did, and that made it look more dramatic than it was.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not criticizing the catch; I'm merely saying that I would call it very good, maybe even excellent. But every single thing I've read about it (and I've probably read fifty things or more) say "incredible," "miraculous," etc., and I just can't quite go there.

I feel like a Boo-Hog. Kind of like the people who are grousing about the Derek Jeter celebrations. Okay, fine. Call it incredible.

The MLB playoffs are less important *to me* than the regular season because the best team doesn't always win the World Series, but the best team *always* has the best regular-season record. The Nats, even if they don't bring home the trophy, have had a fabulous year - just an absolute pleasure to witness. And yet, I'm still smarting from 1969 and 1971, darn it. This stupid, vacuous society only values people or teams if they "win it all." The mighty Atlanta Braves won *14 straight division titles* from 1991-2005, but only won in 1995 - that's 13 out of 14 times they lost, and people don't remember just what a great team they were. Well, I do.

That was a great catch.  Phenomenal.  Here is a little nugget.  Souza said he never made a play like that before; a full out dive going prone for a catch.  That makes it more phenomenal.  He's a 25 year old guy who has been in the minors since high school, improving his skills finally getting call ups last year and this year.

At 25 all those years of practicing and trying things while playing and honing one's skills.  Then making the play and making it stick.  Good for him.  It looked to me like he turned and ran full bore at his top speed.  At the last minute he dove and extended and made the grab, holding onto it and securing it with his other hand while hitting the ground.

That is phenomenal.  And then to top it off:

Last out of the inning, last out of the game, secured a NO HITTER, last game of the season.  On top of being a great catch its a life long memorable play.  Good for him.  Don: Did he overrun the ball as you suggested?  I didn't see that at all.  I saw an athlete turn run full bore to catch up with a ball.  At that rate you are both blasting full speed and simultaneously adjusting to the ball; two things at once.  That is hard, takes refinement, feel, body control, etc.  I did it many times playing competitive soccer with a lot of long ball games.  Man;  Its difficult.  You're racing and at the tail end adjusting. It took me years to get good.

You know where you see something like that all the time?  The NFL with receivers and defensive backs.  The best ones win that last second final adjustment more often, whether offense or defense.  But its difficult.  And in this play to race, dive, catch the ball, secure the ball, hit the ground, keep a hold of it.

Kudo's to Souza.  Phenomenal grab.  Saved the No-Hitter, Ended the game. Ended the season on the highest of high notes.

A great play.  I'm sure he'll remember it forever and so will Zimmermann let alone the fans that were there and witnessed it.  On top of all that, I read his parents were at the game.  What an extraordinary shared experience.   If you relish sports, moments like that are savored for the rest of your life.

Don: Did he overrun the ball as you suggested?  I didn't see that at all.

Yeah, he did. :)

post-2-0-50509500-1412032157_thumb.png

The reason that catch wasn't "incredible" was because he was running to his left as well as running backwards, and because of that, he never once lost sight of the ball (until he took half a step too far to his left, and had to arch his body backwards to catch it (there was no dive for that ball; he fell after he caught it because he overran it, his left leg and left arm were behind him, his torso was in front of him, and inertia pulled him down to the ground)). When your back is completely towards home plate, and you're running blind, desperately turning to glance over your shoulder now and then - *that* is a supremely difficult situation; this was not that. However, I do think there was sidespin on that ball which was making it curve towards left field, so it's perfectly understandable that he'd overrun it a bit, and yes, that made it harder to catch.

I agree: given all the amazing things surrounding the catch, it was momentous. In fact, "momentous" is the best adjective to describe the play - fifty years from now, this will be remembered as one of the great moments in Nationals history.

I'm not bragging (oh, who am I kidding), but I've made that kind of catch. Granted it was softball and I run at half the speed of these guys, but WHAM, there it was in my glove. That said it was thrilling,to watch-- the end of the game I mean. They finished off the season with a MESSAGE! DON'T FUCK WITH THE NATS!

• Like 1

Remember, remember the 12th of October...

And now the Cardinals down to their last strike...

Off the glove of Desmond!  Two runs are going to score...

Line drive to right field!  It's going to be a base hit.  Two runs will score.

Just in case you want to re-live those long 10 minutes of the 9th inning.

Washington Nationals v. St. Louis Cardinals Oct 12, 2012 NLDS

:P

Depressing crushing loss.  The equivalent of 3 games.  Nats 3 runs.  Giants 5 runs.  Pitchers are dominating.  Gotta win 3 in a row.  Doable but tough. 

I think fans would be wise to consider this season over, albeit a noble effort with *nothing* to be ashamed of, and no stigmas going into the future. Anything more than that is a gift.

This is baseball for true fans of baseball.

I think fans would be wise to consider this season over, albeit a noble effort with *nothing* to be ashamed of, and no stigmas going into the future.

Its a good thing you are neither a player or coach.  Baseball, take it pitch by pitch, bat by bat, then inning by inning.  Results in playoffs are indeterminable.  Think Atlanta and its incredible long stretch of making the playoffs over so many years and only winning one WS.  Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

Right now, the Orioles, a surprise team, are up 2-0 to the Tigers with superstars and 3 Cy Youngs; the Angels with the best record in baseball this year are down 0-2 against the surprise KC Athletics, and the Nats with the best record in the NL and a winning regular season record against SF are down 0-2, going away, and have scored the equivalent of one run per game over the equivalent of 3 games.   Yikes.  Take it pitch by pitch.

BTW:  I started catching yesterday's game late.  I found it excruciating.  At the end of the game the Nats needed one dang run.  One homer, 2 good hits.  Crummy hits, a walk, an error anything.  It didn't happen.  Tremendous agony.   Kudo's to players for working through it.  Very tough.

My strongest memory of the agony of baseball was watching one of my 2 best friends, a star high school pitcher and then a college pitcher, go against one of the noted memorable pitchers of a generation during high school.   My friend was out pitching the other dude, Mr. All time all star. Our catcher said he, (Don) was pitching his best ever.  He was in a zone.  Then one little weird play and my friend was jolted out of his zone, and the hitters from the other team belted him.  Uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.  Little things happen.  Nats go out and play the game.

Jeepers.

I'll give you 2:1 odds on a $20 bet that the Giants win the series.

(And I would hope very much that I lose the bet, but I won't.)

LOL   I'm not taking the bet. LOL

Still as a player, a coach, and a fan...go into the game being optimistic and working every pitch, every at bat, every inning.  Take them one at a time.  Don't look forward.    That is baseball.

Update:  7:09PM Est  some runs!!!!!   Hot Damn!!!!!

(Now...after the baseball game the Skins will play the Sea Hawks.).   Football, its different than baseball imho.  Okay, as a player or a coach on the Skins, you must go into the game optimistic.

As a fan.....oi...I don't see it.   Of course there are upsets.  But the Sea Hawks are at the top of the heap in terms of talent.  We are cruising near the bottom.  I think big swings in talent are more noticeable and have more impact in football.   (plus is it possible the Skins have one of the ALL Time most odious owners in all of professional sports????---how many owners sued a fan during a recession for not buying tickets????? )

Well, STL and SF have this playoff thing figured out these days.  The Nats don't.  Yet.  Go for it again next year till we get it right.

Well, you still have Baltimore.

Ah...as to Baltimore:    This guy is fondly looking down on the Orioles, drinking Natl Boh, rooting for them and may well be instrumental in providing providential assistance that will lead to a WS championship.  I can guarantee one aspect of the process;  he'll be watching the games while close to the heavenly urinals.