A Good Picnic Wine

We did a Picnic a few weeks ago, and enjoyed the 2005 1+1=3 Rose Cabernet Sauvigon from Spain. It's not a white but more a happy medium if you don't like white wine. This might be the best Rose I have ever tasted

Going to tomorrow night's performance of Nerds on Parade.

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap and grocery-store-available weather-appropriate white?

Nerds? Nimoy narrates? Bully Hill Space Shuttle white, or maybe Bonny Doon Le Cigare Blanc. Wear Vulcan ears, sip through crazy straw, display spacecraft on label(s) prominently.

If Nimoy were singing though, head for the Stolichnaya and start early :unsure:

If Nimoy were singing though, head for the Stolichnaya and start early :unsure:
Nah. it's William Shatner singing "Tamborine Man" (or anything else, really) that will clear the area in record time.

The big secret is the Terret-Sauvignon Belle Fleur that is sold at Whole Paycheck for $6.99 ;) . Seriously, it works with everything, particularly picnic food. Yes, it is white. (BTW bypass the Chardonnay from the same folks. It is icky.)

Goats do Roam rose. The 2006 may now be available (it was on show at the Washington Wine Expo a couple weekends ago). It's mostly Rhone varieties, fruity but quite crisp. However, it may not be more available than the 1+1 (the Goats white and red are in many grocery stores, but the rose doesn't necessarily have the penetration).

JPW brought up this wine about a year ago, and I still keep an eye out for it. The price has skyrocketed over the past year from about $4.99 a bottle to $6.99. :unsure: It's a simple white with nice fruit.

It is still readily available at Total Wine. Wegman's carries it as well, but for the "hefty" price of $7.49.

JPW brought up this wine about a year ago, and I still keep an eye out for it. The price has skyrocketed over the past year from about $4.99 a bottle to $6.99. :unsure: It's a simple white with nice fruit.

If you'd like to try a BETTER Côtes de Gascogne white for the same price, go with Domaine des Cassagnoles 2005. It is mostly (if not 100%) Colombard, which the French consider to be a MUCH superior varietal than Ugni Blanc (a.k.a. Trebbiano). If there is anything in there besides Colombard, then it would be Gros Manseng, which the property also grows and bottles and is fantastic, too, though a tad more expensive.

Sorry to stray off-topic.

The Cassagnoles would be great Wolf Trap wine, but I also agree that this is rosé weather. My favorite of the under $20 ones right now is the Tijou (Château de la Soucherie) from the Loire Valley. It is gorgeously crisp and well-defined in its fruit, and it lacks that lactic quality that so many of the Southern Rhône rosés tend to have. It is Cabernet Franc, of course, but I think there's a judicious touch of Gamay in there, too.

Pinot Gris from Oregon or really nice Pinot Grigio from Italy would fill the bill. How about a nice Riesling? There are scores of them to absorb the summertime heat in a wonderfully pleasant fashion. I also think a Cortese would be great.

Just find a zippy, chillable white with bracing acidity and no oak and you'll be good to go.

it lacks that lactic quality that so many of the Southern Rhône rosés tend to have.

Can you explain what "lactic quality" means in this context? For the life of me, I cannot recall tasting any wine, rosé or otherwise, that reminded me of milk.

Pinot Grigio from Italy would fill the bill.

I am not a huge Pinot Grigio fan, but I have enjoyed a couple of bottles of Kris, and I believe that you will find it fairly easy to find (not sure if Supermarkets carry it as it does not come in a jug or a box).

Goats do Roam rose. The 2006 may now be available (it was on show at the Washington Wine Expo a couple weekends ago). It's mostly Rhone varieties, fruity but quite crisp. However, it may not be more available than the 1+1 (the Goats white and red are in many grocery stores, but the rose doesn't necessarily have the penetration).
Couldn't find the 1+1 at Total Wine (a minute from my apartment! yay!), but the Goats was a big hit. I also picked up a bottle of the Domaine du Pouy for later. Thanks everyone!!!!