Gazpacho

porcupine

It's that time of year again. Well, almost, as the tomatoes aren't quite good enough yet. Nontheless today I made my first batch of the season. Besides tomatoes, I use cucumbers, red bell peppers, just a smidge of hot pepper, onion, salt, black pepper, vinegar, sometimes chicken or vegetable stock, bread, maybe tomato juice (from a bottle). Herbs and croutons depending on whim and what's around and what else I'm serving with it.

So, how do you make gazpacho? Any interesting variations or nifty tricks?

It's that time of year again. Well, almost, as the tomatoes aren't quite good enough yet. Nontheless today I made my first batch of the season. Besides tomatoes, I use cucumbers, red bell peppers, just a smidge of hot pepper, onion, salt, black pepper, vinegar, sometimes chicken or vegetable stock, bread, maybe tomato juice (from a bottle). Herbs and croutons depending on whim and what's around and what else I'm serving with it.

Elizabeth" I agree, it is that time of year again. And i am resisting from making my first batch, as whatever type of tomatoes are showing up at the dupont circle farmer's market are looking and tasting pretty good already. I do all the same things as you, but I use red wine vinegar, olive oil, some tomato juice, eggs, cayenne pepper, and then lots of fresh dill. I also use a combination of yellow onions and shallots. Also, I lile my gazpacho kind of chunky, so I forget about the chinon and just use the blender.

Let me know how it turns out!

I find really good tomatos too dear to possible blend up and go straight for the juice route. Roasted red pepper, cuke, onion, garlic blended with good tomato juice, sherry vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, hot pepper and a dash of Worchestershire and salt. Throw in finely diced cukes and onions at the end. Either serve w/ croutons in a bowl or mix 3/4 gazpacho and 1/4 red wine (Pinot, Rioja, anything really) and serve it in a red wine glass. The wine thins it enough to make it drinkable and is great first on a hot night that you only need one hand for while you're manning the grill.

Last summer, Jose Andres posted his gazpacho recipe in about a billion places online.

Here's one. I haven't made it yet, but within days the garden will produce just about every ingredient necessary, and I definitely plan on giving it a whirl.

Mine varies every time I make it. I made a blender batch an hour ago that is chilling as we speak. It consisted of leftover salad (red lettuce, romaine, tomatoes, cukes), four cooked red baby beets that were in the fridge, V-8 juice, white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some red onion from the farmers market, a bit of lemon juice, a few drops of Choluza hot sauce, salt and pepper.

On Edit: The beets made for a dramatic deep purple, and a bit of welcome sweetness. I stirred in a splash of citrus vodka and sprinkled some crumbled feta cheese from the farmers market just before serving. There's some leftover and I'm having it tonight!

Mine varies every time I make it. I made a blender batch an hour ago that is chilling as we speak.

Likewise - mine is for dinner with steaks tomorrow. I'm thinking of making a tomato sorbet - scooped into a bowl, with soup poured around it, could be a fun presentation.

My go-to gazpacho recipe is Jacques Pepin's from his Happy Cooking book. He throws everything, including a TON of cucumber into a food processor, whizzes the whole thing up, and then strains it through the fine sieve of a food mill. Then, he adds the finely peeled and chopped ingredients to make the whole thing chunky.

I wonder how one could screw-up gazpacho. Too many hot peppers? I've actually never made an inedible gazpacho--unlike OTHER variety of foods. :unsure:

I made watermelon gazpacho recently, that was very refreshing and tasty. It was an improvisation, but as I recall, the ingredients were watermelon, Vidalia onion, cucumber, jalapenõ pepper, cilantro and lime juice.

Most of those ingredients release a ton of water - did you drain liquid off after blending?

I find really good tomatos too dear to possible blend up and go straight for the juice route. Roasted red pepper, cuke, onion, garlic blended with good tomato juice, sherry vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, hot pepper and a dash of Worchestershire and salt. Throw in finely diced cukes and onions at the end. Either serve w/ croutons in a bowl or mix 3/4 gazpacho and 1/4 red wine (Pinot, Rioja, anything really) and serve it in a red wine glass. The wine thins it enough to make it drinkable and is great first on a hot night that you only need one hand for while you're manning the grill.
My 11 year old and I made Jose's version the other night to pretty good success. It definitely reminded me of the gazpacho I'd had last summer at Jaleo. That said, I think I'd like to try a recipe that has a chunkier end product. Made largely in the blender, Jose's is very liquid...but quite flavorful. And the flavors were even better the next day.

My 11 year old and I made Jose's version the other night to pretty good success. It definitely reminded me of the gazpacho I'd had last summer at Jaleo. That said, I think I'd like to try a recipe that has a chunkier end product. Made largely in the blender, Jose's is very liquid...but quite flavorful. And the flavors were even better the next day.

That's funny - we made Jose's tonight! I diced some of the tomatos, cukes, and peppers in the bowl, and also some croutons, before pouring the soup in the bowl. So I got the very smooth soup, but still the chunkiness.

I modified the recipe slightly to add a small amount of chilis for a kick, and I had to use red wine vinegar instead of sherry vinegar, as I didn't have any in the house. It came out great, and due to the quantity of stuff coming out of the garden these days, I can make this just about every night!

I didn't, but as I recall it was fine. I served it in demitasse cups as an amuse.

have long been critical of Emeril because of the the presentation of the New York Food Network shows which present him more as an entertainer and less as a chef. Still, about ten yor more years ago I had four dinners in one week at his restaurant on Tschoupolitas (sp?) street in New Orleans including two with him behind the counter of a food counter in his restaurant. I remember on several of those nights him leaving the restaurant around midnight, totally exhausted having literally given his all to those who dined there on those nights. For my wife and I we had several dinners with him on the other side of the counter: we were honored to talk to him and have him, literally, cook for us.

Today, Emeril is enormously successful. But he has paid his dues. Big time. We were two of the few who were fortunate to experience him at his best in person. This recipe for gazpacho is a throwback to then when he was in his prime and food meant everything. It is absolutely superb.

With all due respect to Jose...

I'm a sucker for Johnny Rooks' (Wabeck's) gazpacho. Maybe he can comment on his methods, but it's some of the best I've ever had. Rgardless of tradation, I like thick gazpacho than can ride in the spoon...and make it more easily into my greedy mouth without dripping onto my white shorts.

I lived in Madrid for quite a while and learned how to make Gazpacho from my 80 year old next door neighbor. I usually wing it, but my recipe is similar to Jose Andres' with a few exceptions.

To the 2 kg of tomatoes and one large cucumber I add about 1 bell pepper and maybe a 1/4 cup red wine vinegar. I also add 1/4th of an onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Also, the secret to a good, thick gazpacho is to take stale bread (like 4 inches of a 2-day old baguette), soak it in water for a few minutes, wring it out, and add it to the blender.

I like to have smooth gazpacho, so I blend all of this together exuberantly. Then I add good olive oil and salt.

I never do any of that fancy garnish stuff. I made this last night, and am looking forward to eating the leftovers today. Gazpacho is always better the 2nd day.

...Oh, and serve it with a plate on the side with traditional Spanish egg/potato tortilla and some mixed greens. Yum.

I just made my first batch of the summer. I threw tomatoes, half a purple bell pepper, lemon basil and parsley into the blender. I like mine thick but smooth. Afterwards I added some diced little, white cucumbers, white balsamic vinegar, olive oil and truffled salt. It was supposed to be for dinner tomorrow night but about a quarter of it gone already after sitting in the fridge for an hour.

Duck season, rabbit season, duck season...

No, it's GAZPACHO season. I made a big batch yesterday:

8 large tomatoes

2 large cucumbers

1/2 cup chopped fresh chives

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/2 cup chopped fresh tarragon

1 cup EVOO

1/2 cup (to taste) Banyuls vinegar

Water-- to desired consistency

I did a seedectomy on the tomatoes and cukes and pureed the hell out of them with the herbs, vinegar, and s&p. While the Cuisinart was running, I drizzled in some spanish EVOO.

Usually I like my gazpacho garlicky and/or spicy, but I really liked this herby concoction. My herb measurements above are rough estimates. I may have used more like a cup of the tarragon. Just keep adding until you're happy.

Last summer, Jose Andres posted his gazpacho recipe in about a billion places online.

Here's one. I haven't made it yet, but within days the garden will produce just about every ingredient necessary, and I definitely plan on giving it a whirl.

we tried this last night - simple and quick to make and was delicious - had the leftovers for lunch today - theres something incredibly satisfying about making something primarily with produce from your own garden

My (formerly) secret weapon is McIlhenny's chipotle pepper tabasco sauce. It gives a great smoky kick to the soup without overpowering the fresh veggie flavors.

Speaking of soups...

My Cook's Illustrated gazpacho is too sour. I think I shorted the veggies but used the whole amount of vinegar. Is there any way to smooth it out? Maybe make a bit of very light simple syrup with some of the liquid and mix it back in? (I thought of that idea last night after a glass of scotch and I can't tell if it's a really, really bad idea or a really, really good one.) I'd like to avoid just putting in more vegetables because it's already quite a large batch.

Speaking of soups...

My Cook's Illustrated gazpacho is too sour. I think I shorted the veggies but used the whole amount of vinegar. Is there any way to smooth it out? Maybe make a bit of very light simple syrup with some of the liquid and mix it back in? (I thought of that idea last night after a glass of scotch and I can't tell if it's a really, really bad idea or a really, really good one.) I'd like to avoid just putting in more vegetables because it's already quite a large batch.

Add more olive oil and bread?

Add more olive oil

I think that'll work. It'll round it all out, and dull the sour flavor. Only problem is that if it's way too sour, it'd take so much oil that the consistency of the whole thing might be changed for the worse. So maybe some simple syrup, or even a touch of honey, would do the trick.

I've found that smoked paprika does a decent job counteracting too much of a sour/acidic taste, but I don't know if that's a flavor you want to add to your gazpacho. It seems like it would fit to me :).

Speaking of soups...

I think that'll work. It'll round it all out, and dull the sour flavor. Only problem is that if it's way too sour, it'd take so much oil that the consistency of the whole thing might be changed for the worse. So maybe some simple syrup, or even a touch of honey, would do the trick.

Gennaro, wasn't there something that was too acidly sour and you added lime juice and it somehow sweetened it? Or was the problem not sour/acid but just not the right flavor balance?

I happen to like the bread & olive oil combo idea as the most likely to add the right flavor without making the soup too oily or liquidy, but I don't know know if the CI gazpacho uses bread in the first place (some recipes, untraditionally, don't).

No, Cook's doesn't use bread, and only uses oil to finish. I like it because it's seriously healthy and completely guilt-free, so I think adding enough oil to cancel out the vinegar would also cancel out the healthiness...

I may experiment with honey this evening. I brought a really earthy one back from Ethiopia that might work nicely.

Don't knock it till you try it... 2 cans del monte original stewed tomatoes, 2 or so peeled seeded cukes, minced/mashed garlic to taste, white wine vinegar, olive oil, S&P and fresh basil if you have it, maybe a little oregano dried or fresh. Whir in blender (perhaps two batches if necessary) hold back a bit of cuke to roughly chop in at end. Takes 10 minutes tops, tastes pretty good, actually I think it tastes very good considering the amount of time to prepare (especially if the tomatoes are already chilled). Call me Sandra Lee, wait don't okay :) .

This also makes a tasty base for a Bloody.

The Post had a recipe for pineapple gazpacho that I'm quite eager to try since the girl likes pineapple quite a bit.

As a last gasp alternative, spoon the "I Used To Be Gazpacho" over cod or other flaky white fish before you bake it. The fish oils may cancel out the sourness, and the whole thing might transform anyway once cooked....

Success! I pulled about a half cup of liquid out of the gazpacho, added about a half tablespoon of honey, microwaved it a bit to melt and integrate them, and then stirred it back into the big batch. That did the trick--it cut down significantly on the sourness without adding any sweetness.