My recent trip to NOLA makes me wonder if they have the capacity to serve their subs hot, and if they have an olive tapenade hiding behind the counter...anyone know?

I've never tried to get a sub served hot here, but as Katelin notes, they definitely have an olive tapenade.

I think I had a muffolata sandwich here before.  As I recall it wasn't warm, but they did have the olive salad, it was on a big round bun, but if you are that close why not go to Bayou Bakery?

The Italian Store serves something close in style (not quality) to Central Grocery's Muffaletta, and calls it that; Bayou serves a much smaller version of the sandwich, and uses the tongue-in-cheek spelling Muff-a-Lotta. The two sandwiches have surprisingly little in common, considering they're supposed to be takes on the same thing, and although The Italian Store may be closer in spirit to Central Grocery's, Bayou's is much smaller, and uses higher quality ingredients; neither one comes across to me as great.

Jake Parrott once brought me the real thing from Central Grocery (for which I am still grateful), and it was great.

• Like 1

Don's photo in the link above prompts me to weigh in. I am from New Orleans, and the some of the Central Grocery owner family members live near my parents now. The olive component of a Central Grocery muffaletta would never be mistaken for a "tapenade." In New Orleans, we call it "olive salad." It is sold in jars. Many people make their own. Roughly chopped green olives with pimento, celery, onion, pepper, maybe carrot...lots of oil and salt. The real secret to Central Grocery's lovely muffaletta is the bread. I have never had a loaf anywhere else that even comes close. The family said that after Hurricane Katrina, the quality of the sandwich suffered until the bread supplier was fully operational and able to procure the right supplies. They were worried that the bread would never be the same, but apparently now it's just like in the pre-K days.

• Like 1

The olive component of a Central Grocery muffaletta would never be mistaken for a "tapenade." In New Orleans, we call it "olive salad." It is sold in jars. Many people make their own. Roughly chopped green olives with pimento, celery, onion, pepper, maybe carrot...lots of oil and salt. 

You're right, it's not a tapenade (and neither is The Italian Store's).

Incidentally, for those who've never seen one, the Muffaletta at Central Grocery is *huge* - if memory serves me, it's cut into quarters, and each quarter is more than enough for a hungry adult.

Incidentally, for those who've never seen one, the Muffaletta at Central Grocery is *huge* - if memory serves me, it's cut into quarters, and each quarter is more than enough for a hungry adult.

Yes, it is huge, and cut into quarters. A quarter is a lot of sandwich...

I've only had 1 trip to New Orleans, got the muffaletta at Cochon Butcher,served cold w/ a small amount of olive dressing, it was very good, & the Gambino was even better. I think Cochon Butcher has recently expanded, which is a good thing, we got there right before the lunch rush, & it was packed.

Last time I had one, the NOLA resident with me commented that it seemed smaller than before. Whether the default was a half, or it actually was, I don't know, I just know it was wonderful.

My first muffaletta was at Pat O'Brian's in the French Quarter (hey, I was unwise to the ways of the city at the time). I always said I hated olives, but my server insisted I don't hold the olive salad. I am so glad I listened to him.

Yes. A full CG muff is the perfect food for a Saints game. Eat one quarter per quarter.

• Like 2

CG, at least pre-Katrina was always happy to wrap one to go securely enough to pack in your luggage to enjoy after getting home (don't think I could manage to eat one sitting in coach, and besides, if you wait, the bread will have soaked up the goodness and be even better).