Drinking in Clarendon

Arlington County has to make up for its suggested budget shortfall that is on the books I believe for 2015. I feel for the owners as I do know several of them that have been hit pretty hard, I am talking to you Nick Freshman.

I agree, but who is going to stop them. Maybe that's why Zimmerman got out along with his side projects. Think about that 1 million dollar bus stop on Columbia Pike or the endless amounts of dollars that continually keep going into researching Trolly cars on the Pike. Or an aquatics center that seemingly doesn't need to be, or overcrowded schools that show no relief in sight except building an elementary school on top of a middle school.

But one does need to ask, with the assessments being so high this time around, are they actually  in fact in line with neighboring counties/cities, or is this really gouging to make up losses.

Good looking out, Josh. It ain't easy being in business in Arlington. The demographics make it all so appealing, but the reality is that it's hard to argue with those who claim that the climate is 'unwelcoming.' We've gotten used to the taxes on top of the taxes, and we don't cry about it because we have been successful. This one, however, is just so absurd. Even if the County's defense is that it is a correction--in other words, the property has been undervalued up to this point--how does that help? It reveals the incompetence in the process in not accurately valuing the properties year to year, and it shows no willingness to be reasonable by not offering to make the correction over several years. To be clear, we made exactly no notable improvements to the property last year--we didn't even paint. And then, boom, 83%. I also think what is worth noting is the properties that did not go up. Darling of the neighborhood, Whole Foods, for example. A ZERO increase. ZERO! Been there lately? They've done at least $500K in work. And what are they valued at? $2.5 million. Does anyone here think that the building that houses Spider Kelly's is worth TWICE what the Whole Foods is worth (Our building just rang in at $5M)? A building that takes up an entire block and has PARKING? Give me a break.

Don, to your question, residential property values went up an average of 5%, I think. And to you, ktmoomau, business to kill? No, I would say business to extort? So, the County boasts no increase in real estate tax rates, homes go up nominally in comparison, and yet there is another budget shortfall to pay for the now fatiguing glory projects. What is the solution? It's hard to tamp down the conspiracy theorists. I am not one, and refuse to believe that there is an out and out effort to gouge us to pay for pet projects--this isn't House of Cards. So what is the other conclusion? Incompetence, laziness, myopia? I really don't know, but it is discouraging.

I have lived here my entire life, I own a house here, and my daughter is in public school here. My mom lives in my neighborhood and has been a volunteer for the County government for over 30 years. I am in this County for the long haul. I am also a Democrat who has never voted Republican and a small businessman who believes ardently in regulation, oversight and yes, taxes. And I am over defending the actions of the County Board to my numerous friends in business on the other end of the spectrum. I'm embarassed to be a 'D' in Arlington lately. We can do so much better. But, really, that is irrelevant. As a business owner, I feel I am being unfairly attacked, and we small business owners are cagey by nature. We will be fighting this. We're pragmatic too, so we know that we're probably fucked. Sigh.

• Like 8

When I was a commercial real estate broker I used to "work with these numbers" all the time.  But ultimately its the buildings and the tenants who pay for increases;  like Nick Freshman (comments above).

Landlords do contest increases in assessments.

In one context the astonishing explosion in increased rental rates on commercial properties, especially retail in the last decade or so is the underlying reason for these increases.  The abrupt level of increases in this past year is the very astonishing element of this.  

Nick's comments,and from the ARLNOW article pointing out that the Whole Foods building saw no increases is telling.

The Whole Foods building is way way way way more valuable than the Spider Kelly's Property.  An untrained eye can see that.  I'd go public on that one and raise eyebrows.  But I'd look for an attorney with a winning record in arguing assessment cases in front of jurisdictions.

I appreciated Nick's comments.  He is the one dealing with these many issues, day to day.

• Like 2

I think Nick's observations are good ones.  I would add one more point about the policy of keeping residential tax increases nominal and targeting [some] businesses:  it is much easier for a home owner to move rather than pay an exhorbitant tax burden [with the caveat of being able to find someone, who is more willing to accept the taxes, to purchase the property], while a business owner who has invested time, money, blood, sweat and tears in building his/her business -- especially a restaurant -- will most likely bite the bullet and continue to pay.  In other words, there is an inelasticity of mobility for restaurant owners and the Arlington Tax authoritites are perfectly happy to take advantage.  A question needs to be posed to the GoA, however, if their tax policy is not at odds with the purpose of creating a mixed use environment envisioned in the whole concept of the Chyrstal City-Clarendon/Ballston corridor.

The recent posts in the Auld Lang Cuisine thread is a big trip down memory lane. This one too -- read this from the beginning. I haven't thought about Murky Coffee (now Northside Social) in years. And it was another coffee shop before that right? I can't remember the name.

Two lunches two days in a row two neighbors

The other day I was hungry and Four Sisters Grill popped into my head.  Its a short walk.  But such an odd off hour.  I was there around 4PM  I appeared at 4 Sisters door only to see that hours of operation are currently 11:00AM to 3 PM and 5PM to 8 or 9 PM currently.

So I went next door to Pete's A Pizza.  I'm admittedly not a fan.  Ordering two slices of pizza didn't improve my perspective.  Reheated pizza slices.  It just doesn't do it.  Dry, tasteless and with free refillable soda at $9.90 its pretty much a terrible choice.

Today I was back at Four Sisters Grill while they were open.   Ah...the banh mi.  That is a fresh and flavorful option.   Nice roll.  I had the chicken option and the chicken was moist and tasty.  What makes this sandwich is the incredible fresh crusty vegetables.  Excellent, crunchy vegetables against the meat, with appropriate seasonings on a very nice roll.   With refillable soda--$9.02.

I vote for Four Sisters Grill every day of the week.  I've had two different lunches, two different choices and both were way above most fare in the area, fresher, tastier and at the same price.

Good luck to Four Sisters Grill.  Its an excellent addition to the neighborhood.  I hope it sticks.

Don't know where to begin but I will start at the beginning of my time at 2761 Washington Blvd. I was young, 15 years old, and I had snuck into the back through a door left propped open by a dishwasher. It smelled of smoke and stale beer but it was awesome. Whitey's was named after the original owner who in fact had a long white beard. My father eventually became the second owners lawyer, a guy named Calvin Seville who went by the nickname of Fuzzy. That's not the whole story of my experience. Life's not that short. I had my first real bar experience at Whitey's which included a stale domestic beer served in a frosted mug, Onion Rings doused with Blue Cheese dressing and a celebratory cigarette while playing darts in the back room. The years went by and Whitey's became less of what it originally started out as, a bar. Calvin did everything to bring in business but there were no takers. He installed a $200K kitchen to cook $7 hamburgers. Times were not kind to Calvin and Whitey's in its last years, the building just felt empty because it was in fact empty. The good times of listening to Bill Kirchen and other local musicians quickly faded to large TV's, game boards and lousy food. Something that I always remembered about Whiteys in the early days was the fact that the food was always good, even in a dive. Whitey's used to have lines wrapped around the corner to get in, but no more in its final days. The neighborhood rallied around to get the liquor license revoked by the County board because too many times mailboxes were smashed or lawns were pissed on. Guess what? They won and the dagger went right to the heart of Whitey's. They closed the doors and the Eat sign went dark.

Years later a young restaurant group tinkered with the idea of a wine bar that served a little bit of everything from Shortribs to Baby Burgers. Small plates meeting for the first time grown up food. But where? The paper went up in the windows, the old bar ripped out, walls came down, and the old often never used $200K kitchen was cleaned up, over and over again. Whitey's was getting a facelift, but no longer Whitey's, yet Tallula. The neighborhood of course was nervous that the old habits of young adults pried with the right amount of booze would soon be back to smashing mailboxes and peeing on lawns. The owners assured them something different was about to happen and it was in the form of wine. This wasn't going to be a place to pound shots of Jager, or crush 24 ounce Miller Lites, but instead a place to sip a glass of Viognier, or enjoy a bottle of Gigondas. This was an adult restaurant where adult behavior would be the norm, and the chugging history of Whitey's past was long gone.

The day before Thanksgiving in 2004 Tallula opened its doors, albeit 4 months behind schedule. Maybe a sign of its future would be on that same very night the restaurant lost power. Guess what, only half of it did because the building is supplied by two power sources. The left side, restaurant, is powered by a grid that sits next to Mr. Days. The right side, the original Whitey's, is powered from behind the building. So on that night the restaurant closed halfway through, but the bar stayed opened. How do I know? I was behind the bar that evening as I was so fortunate to be a part of the opening team at Tallula.

Over the year I left the bar and became the GM and Wine Director, something that to this day I take great pride in and realize how incredibly lucky I was to be in that position. I worked with some fantastic people and talent. When I think back to Tallula during the early years I fondly remember the place being packed on any given night, the hum of the kitchen under Nathan Anda's control, the clinking of Wine Bottles left and right, and a building that once again was breathing life after years of dormancy and neglect. I left Tallula in May of 2007 for a decision that sometimes I regret, but because of a greater influence, my family and the hopes of an easier life. Kids will do that to you.

Tallula ushered in new blood, not just in my place but everywhere. The kitchen was turned over while Nate created his new passion with Red Apron, congrats Nate, job well done if I never told you that before. Some fantastic chefs came through the door including Andrew Market, Barry Koslow and now Robert Rubba. Matt Moleski took over the reins and seemed to be the leader for the FOH and from my interaction did a great job.

The years passed by Tallula much like Whitey's as people change and grow older, sometimes the place they used to frequent becomes a distant memory. Tallula never stopped caring.

I, along with 5 others last night, sat in the dining room talking about days past at Tallula. I stared at the fountain in the middle of the restaurant remembering the days of having to scrub the tiles and cursing at it. The six of us ordered food and from what I can remember it was just as Tallula had delivered on its first day of business, solid. The six of us all met at Tallula, and as one could imagine with the boys on one side and the girls on the other side we were perfectly matched up with our wives. You see I met my wife at Tallula. Granted we did not have a romantic involvement while we worked together at Tallula, that was way down the road, we initially met there as she worked as a cocktailer, and I as the GM. to be honest we didn't really get along that well with each other when we did work together. The guy I share an office with today, who has worked with me side by side for the last 10 years, also met his wife while working at Tallula. She was a waitress, and he a Bartender. The other couple met there as well and had their first date at Tallula. You know the phrase, small world.

We laughed into the night but I couldn't stop thinking about Tallula. Where did it go wrong? I may never know that answer but I do hope that while we see the last week bring this version of Tallula to an end that some of you find it in your heart to give that old building one last send off. The 'Eat' sign will again go dark, but the memories for the six of us, who remain best of friends, will always be very clear to what Tallula means to us and hopefully to many others who enjoyed its passion over the years.

I wanted to copy this amazing tribute by Josh Radigan on the Tallula thread - one of the most "Liked" posts in this history of this website - here for posterity.

Perhaps more than any area in the past five years (there are possible exceptions: Columbia Heights, etc.), Clarendon has changed, and it is currently undergoing a second-round of changes for the worse. The first round was raw, unbridled growth; the second round is a financial weed-out.

You can rest assured that this financial weed-out is going to continue in the upcoming weeks and months, and that Clarendon will continue to lose its individuality. I'm not naming names, but speaking in the broadest possible terms: Don't be surprised to see Clarendon continuing to become more generic as time passes. The same thing will happen in 14UP if they aren't careful.

Don't know where to begin but I will start at the beginning of my time at 2761 Washington Blvd. I was young, 15 years old, and I had snuck into the back through a door left propped open by a dishwasher. It smelled of smoke and stale beer but it was awesome. Whitey's was named after the original owner who in fact had a long white beard. My father eventually became the second owners lawyer, a guy named Calvin Seville who went by the nickname of Fuzzy. That's not the whole story of my experience. Life's not that short. I had my first real bar experience at Whitey's which included a stale domestic beer served in a frosted mug, Onion Rings doused with Blue Cheese dressing and a celebratory cigarette while playing darts in the back room. The years went by and Whitey's became less of what it originally started out as, a bar. Calvin did everything to bring in business but there were no takers. He installed a $200K kitchen to cook $7 hamburgers. Times were not kind to Calvin and Whitey's in its last years, the building just felt empty because it was in fact empty. The good times of listening to Bill Kirchen and other local musicians quickly faded to large TV's, game boards and lousy food. Something that I always remembered about Whiteys in the early days was the fact that the food was always good, even in a dive. Whitey's used to have lines wrapped around the corner to get in, but no more in its final days. The neighborhood rallied around to get the liquor license revoked by the County board because too many times mailboxes were smashed or lawns were pissed on. Guess what? They won and the dagger went right to the heart of Whitey's. They closed the doors and the Eat sign went dark.

Years later a young restaurant group tinkered with the idea of a wine bar that served a little bit of everything from Shortribs to Baby Burgers. Small plates meeting for the first time grown up food. But where? The paper went up in the windows, the old bar ripped out, walls came down, and the old often never used $200K kitchen was cleaned up, over and over again. Whitey's was getting a facelift, but no longer Whitey's, yet Tallula. The neighborhood of course was nervous that the old habits of young adults pried with the right amount of booze would soon be back to smashing mailboxes and peeing on lawns. The owners assured them something different was about to happen and it was in the form of wine. This wasn't going to be a place to pound shots of Jager, or crush 24 ounce Miller Lites, but instead a place to sip a glass of Viognier, or enjoy a bottle of Gigondas. This was an adult restaurant where adult behavior would be the norm, and the chugging history of Whitey's past was long gone.

The day before Thanksgiving in 2004 Tallula opened its doors, albeit 4 months behind schedule. Maybe a sign of its future would be on that same very night the restaurant lost power. Guess what, only half of it did because the building is supplied by two power sources. The left side, restaurant, is powered by a grid that sits next to Mr. Days. The right side, the original Whitey's, is powered from behind the building. So on that night the restaurant closed halfway through, but the bar stayed opened. How do I know? I was behind the bar that evening as I was so fortunate to be a part of the opening team at Tallula.

Over the year I left the bar and became the GM and Wine Director, something that to this day I take great pride in and realize how incredibly lucky I was to be in that position. I worked with some fantastic people and talent. When I think back to Tallula during the early years I fondly remember the place being packed on any given night, the hum of the kitchen under Nathan Anda's control, the clinking of Wine Bottles left and right, and a building that once again was breathing life after years of dormancy and neglect. I left Tallula in May of 2007 for a decision that sometimes I regret, but because of a greater influence, my family and the hopes of an easier life. Kids will do that to you.

Tallula ushered in new blood, not just in my place but everywhere. The kitchen was turned over while Nate created his new passion with Red Apron, congrats Nate, job well done if I never told you that before. Some fantastic chefs came through the door including Andrew Market, Barry Koslow and now Robert Rubba. Matt Moleski took over the reins and seemed to be the leader for the FOH and from my interaction did a great job.

The years passed by Tallula much like Whitey's as people change and grow older, sometimes the place they used to frequent becomes a distant memory. Tallula never stopped caring.

I, along with 5 others last night, sat in the dining room talking about days past at Tallula. I stared at the fountain in the middle of the restaurant remembering the days of having to scrub the tiles and cursing at it. The six of us ordered food and from what I can remember it was just as Tallula had delivered on its first day of business, solid. The six of us all met at Tallula, and as one could imagine with the boys on one side and the girls on the other side we were perfectly matched up with our wives. You see I met my wife at Tallula. Granted we did not have a romantic involvement while we worked together at Tallula, that was way down the road, we initially met there as she worked as a cocktailer, and I as the GM. to be honest we didn't really get along that well with each other when we did work together. The guy I share an office with today, who has worked with me side by side for the last 10 years, also met his wife while working at Tallula. She was a waitress, and he a Bartender. The other couple met there as well and had their first date at Tallula. You know the phrase, small world.

We laughed into the night but I couldn't stop thinking about Tallula. Where did it go wrong? I may never know that answer but I do hope that while we see the last week bring this version of Tallula to an end that some of you find it in your heart to give that old building one last send off. The 'Eat' sign will again go dark, but the memories for the six of us, who remain best of friends, will always be very clear to what Tallula means to us and hopefully to many others who enjoyed its passion over the years.

I wanted to copy this amazing tribute by Josh Radigan on the Tallula thread - one of the most "Liked" posts in this history of this website - here for posterity.

Perhaps more than any area in the past five years (there are possible exceptions: Columbia Heights, etc.), Clarendon has changed, and it is currently undergoing a second-round of changes for the worse. The first round was raw, unbridled growth; the second round is a financial weed-out.

You can rest assured that this financial weed-out is going to continue, and that Clarendon will continue to lose its individuality. Don't be surprised to see Clarendon continuing to become more generic as time passes, and don't be surprised if you look back one day and see Le Diplomate as the Beginning of the End of 14UP - Starr Restaurants is a very savvy organization.

It isn't Cheesecake Factory that made Clarendon such a desirable place for young people to live, but there was a reason they opened there: They knew what they were doing, and beat everyone else to the punch. While people were taking chances on opening restaurants with character, Cheesecake Factory could now afford to just sit back and wait for time to pass, and for the rebound effect to occur.

Tallula was a real gem, and I'm going to miss both it and EatBar. Fat Shorty's was never good, and although it may seem like an asset to have Four Sisters Grill move in, look what happened to the Mosaic District a few years after they did (just as importantly, look at what happened to Eden Center - a complete mess - after they moved out ... someone working with Four Sisters has enormous acumen). Taste of Morocco - remember that place? And remember the building going up behind it, assuring everyone that 'the storefronts will remain the same.' What happened to all those storefronts? Restaurant 3 looked generic; it was anything but - it was a genuine, chef-driven, locally owned little treasure, and now it's La Tagliatella. Harry's Tap Room, in its death throes, throws a Hail Mary and becomes Market Tavern; now, it's Fuego Cocina y Tequileria, one of the most generic Mexican restaurants in the area - when DC Coast first opened, it was novel, but this novel has become very ponderous reading. Eleventh Street Lounge is becoming the latest rendition of Cherry Blow Dry Bar. Sette Bello, with Tiffany Lee running its outstanding "Bar Tonno," and its wonderful pizzas, is now an American Tap Room. Queen Bee, the most venerable Vietnamese restaurant in the DC area, is now a rowdy and raucous Spider Kelly's, selling God-knows-how-many gallons of beer until 2 AM, 7 nights a week. That leaves the two real anchors of Clarendon: Liberty Tavern, which has spawned off respectable successors with Northside Social (replacing the outstanding Murky Coffee) and Lyon Hall, and Eventide, the quirky giant who probably gets most of its revenue from the behemoth Oddbar downstairs. Hold on, you two.

Michael?!

You can rest assured that this financial weed-out is going to continue in the upcoming weeks and months, and that Clarendon will continue to lose its individuality. I'm not naming names, but speaking in the broadest possible terms: Don't be surprised to see Clarendon continuing to become more generic as time passes. The same thing will happen in 14UP if they aren't careful.

It isn't Cheesecake Factory that made Clarendon such a desirable place for young people to live, but there was a reason they opened there: They knew what they were doing, and beat everyone else to the punch. While people were taking chances on opening restaurants with character, Cheesecake Factory could now afford to just sit back and wait for time to pass, and for the rebound effect to occur.

I've lived in Clarendon for the past five years, and I'm not sure I agree. Tallula and Eatbar's problem was that they weren't in Clarendon (they were in Lyon Park), and there several restaurants opened in Clarendon proper that are just as good. I liked both, but rarely went because they didn't offer anything that inspired me to walk an extra three blocks. Eventide's problem is different -- it's essentially been rudderless for years. The arrival of chef Burrell changed that, and I went every Friday I was in town. The last time I was in, after he left, it was a bad copy of what it had been. In fact, I hadn't read that he was gone -- I knew it as soon as the food arrived and looked it up here to confirm. I haven't been back.

Liberty Tavern, Lyon Hall, Green Pig, and Screwtop are packed nearly every night. Each of them would be an asset to any neighborhood. If someone were to open another restaurant of their caliber, it would be swamped too. So it's not inevitable that Clarendon will be overrun by chain restaurants. I's nowhere close to that now.

• Like 1

I've lived in Clarendon for the past five years, and I'm not sure I agree. Tallula and Eatbar's problem was that they weren't in Clarendon (they were in Lyon Park), and there several restaurants opened in Clarendon proper that are just as good. I liked both, but rarely went because they didn't offer anything that inspired me to walk an extra three blocks. Eventide's problem is different -- it's essentially been rudderless for years. The arrival of chef Burrell changed that, and I went every Friday I was in town. The last time I was in, after he left, it was a bad copy of what it had been. In fact, I hadn't read that he was gone -- I knew it as soon as the food arrived and looked it up here to confirm. I haven't been back.

Liberty Tavern, Lyon Hall, Green Pig, and Screwtop are packed nearly every night. Each of them would be an asset to any neighborhood. If someone were to open another restaurant of their caliber, it would be swamped too. So it's not inevitable that Clarendon will be overrun by chain restaurants. I's nowhere close to that now.

Tallula and EatBar didn't have a problem; they became a farthing in Neighborhood Restaurant Group's war chest. If Nathan Anda, or Barry Koslow, or Andrew Markert were still there, I suspect you'd be walking the three blocks.

As for Eventide, I don't want to say anything other than that I've been sitting on that story for a long time because I promised one of the parties I would remain silent.

I do enjoy Screwtop - in fact, I don't ever recall not liking something there - but does it even have a range? I'd always assumed it was a nice little wine store with a panini press attached to it, or maybe an oven as well. I assume it's Wendy Buckley who has the good taste in wine, but someone there does.

With Green Pig, I ran into a fence early on with their meat glue, and cannot conceive of ever eating another bacon cheeseburger there, but I do appreciate Scot Harlan's zeal, and he was an excellent pastry chef at Inox (I also very much miss American Flatbread).

That's a good side-strip, and I've enjoyed what little I've had at Bakeshop. And, of course, there's the craftsman Jason Andelman and Artisan Confections (and free parking).

• Like 1

My two cents on the matter. When Tallula and EatBar opened back in 2004 there was a flood of customers who wanted something other than 'Meet-Markets' and 'Half priced Burgers.' (Nothing against Whitlows at all in those regards) Tallula was something different and not just what people saw on their plates but in their wine glasses. An opening staff that stayed together for 3 years, that included FOH and BOH staff. Tallula wasn't about being on the front of Washingtonian Magazine, we wanted to be chatted on Donrockwell and chowhound (early years) We were about building a relationship with customers.

The later years were hard on Tallula and in some cases I think the evolution of the dinning scene in Clarendon with places such as Liberty, Lyon and Eventide took bites out of Tallula's customer basis. One thing I will say on a final note is this, Tallula was more of a seasonal restaurant for me. Fall and Winter seemed to make Tallula home, whereas the days of Spring and Summer seemed to make Tallula seem even darker. I don't know but some restaurants just have that feel or embrace to the season. I love going to Martin's Tavern in the late Fall/early Winter, not so much during the bright days of Summer.

Being a 3rd generation Arlingtonian what I can say is that Arlington overall will go through another change, places like Rosslyn will flourish and quite possibly Ballston. It isn't the Arlington that I grew up with at all. That is why I live in the City of Alexandria.

• Like 1

Tallula wasn't about being on the front of Washingtonian Magazine, we wanted to be chatted on Donrockwell and chowhound (early years) 

... and paid your publicist to make sure it was done. ;) God you just brought back a bad memory.

Ask your chef what the nickname was. :)

• Like 1

I will say I stopped going to Tallula as much 1. because there were other interesting options in my hood like Liberty Tavern, Eventide (in the day), etc 2. they kept losing people I liked.  The same thing at Eventide, I loved it till they lost people I liked then just couldn't get the momentum back.  I do worry though that we are losing independent restaurants now to people with bigger pocketbooks who are just eyeing up the millenials, but I think that is a problem happening in many different neighborhoods in DC, as Don said.

Did I do something bad in a previous lifetime that I don't know about?

Nah, you just sinned in this life by not going to Four Sisters Grill nearby and ordering their excellent spring rolls.  Or Green Pig Bistro, which was really solid on my recent visit there.  Or Super Pollo, which is much better than El Pollo Rico.  Or Pepita, which has pretty good made to order tacos at a not-entirely-crazy price.  Or even Clarendon Whole Foods' takeout stand, which has inedible rotisserie chicken but pretty good everything else.

---

Dining at Whole Foods (cheezepowder)

Going to be in Clarendon (specifically - 13th & Irving) 1-2x/week for the next month, and need some quick and inexpensive choices for dinner, within a 5-10 minute walk.

I think we'll try Four Sisters Grill tonight - what are some other good options?

I think Citizen Burger has a great quality burger--excellent meat. Its very close, and with this little search on the box on the right, you can check to see when their relatively busy and less busy hours are.

After trying their burger...I thought it was great and I also thought I'd never bother driving to Clarendon from afar for a burger.

Clarendon.  so many choices....

• Like 1

Going to be in Clarendon (specifically - 13th & Irving) 1-2x/week for the next month, and need some quick and inexpensive choices for dinner, within a 5-10 minute walk.

I think we'll try Four Sisters Grill tonight - what are some other good options?

Not sure if you're thinking of more of a quick casual sort of place, rather than a restaurant, but I think the first floor bar/lounge area at Fuego has one of the best happy hour food deals in Clarendon.  They have cheap happy hour food for $5 from 4-7pm (plus $5 drinks).   For example, you can get a burger for $5.  On Tuesdays, two tacos are $5, and on Thursdays, a torta (sandwich) is $5.  Plus free chips and salsa.  The happy hour lounge food menu is on page two.

I think Citizen Burger has a great quality burger--excellent meat. Its very close, and with this little search on the box on the right, you can check to see when their relatively busy and less busy hours are.

After trying their burger...I thought it was great and I also thought I'd never bother driving to Clarendon from afar for a burger.

Clarendon.  so many choices....

Cannot recommend Citizen Burger Bar highly enough.  The burgers are big (8 true oz), but of the highest quality grass fed beef.  You may need to spilt a burger, or, at a minimum, split an order of fries, in order to not leave a lot of food on your plates.

+1 reminded me of Northside Social, which is quick and hip. Mala Tang isn't quick serve and I don't have recent experience, but they have some interesting twists on Sichuanese small plates and hotpots. You probably noticed the Pete's next to Four Sisters Grill, we always liked the New Haven there.

We prefer Super Pollo for better sides and spicing, but El Pollo Rico is hard to beat for juiciness and freshness (because they have insane turnover) if you are okay with just chicken and fries.

Also, Larry's ice cream.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! You guys rock.

Four Sisters Grill was just what we needed last night. Quick and less than $30 for 2 after tax/tip. Excellent crispy spring rolls, decent bahn mi, but the lemongrass beef over noodles was on the weaker side - not much flavor.

We'll try another suggestion next week.

• Like 1

Caveat - "Happy Hour" bar spots aren't great, as I'm there with my 15-year-old daughter.

That narrows it.  Here are 3 places I've been to quite a few times over the years satisfying:

1.  Good for kids and acceptable or even good for teens

2.  Price Points

3.  Pretty quick

4.  All reasonably good (though none get referenced here very often)

All are within blocks of your location:

Nam Viet

Faccia Luna

Kabob Bazaar

I've done them all with kids in the last 10-15 years and possibly Nam Viet for over 20 years with kids.  They have all worked on the above 4 pts and remained consistent in my mind.

Been to them many times with kids and teens.  I've been to each at least once in the last 1.5 years and I think they are all consistent with past performance and reasonably good.  I'd 2nd El Pollo Rico, if only a slightly longer walk;  Rus Uz and Earl's a still slightly longer walk than El Pollo Rico, but not far.  Hard Times is within sight distance of your location if you two like chili.  It is what it is and I think the chili is consistently similar to what it always has been.....and lastly Pete's has a longish thread in DR with both pro and con statements.  I was on the con side, but we just had a takeout pizza from there in my office in the last couple of weeks and I thought it far far better than I recalled.  I'd go back to Pete's based on the latest experience.

(all the above are reasonably priced)

• Like 1

That narrows it.  Here are 3 places I've been to quite a few times over the years satisfying:

1.  Good for kids and acceptable or even good for teens

2.  Price Points

3.  Pretty quick

4.  All reasonably good (though none get referenced here very often)

All are within blocks of your location:

Nam Viet

Faccia Luna

Kabob Bazaar

I've done them all with kids in the last 10-15 years and possibly Nam Viet for over 20 years with kids.  They have all worked on the above 4 pts and remained consistent in my mind.

Been to them many times with kids and teens.  I've been to each at least once in the last 1.5 years and I think they are all consistent with past performance and reasonably good.  I'd 2nd El Pollo Rico, if only a slightly longer walk;  Rus Uz and Earl's a still slightly longer walk than El Pollo Rico, but not far.  Hard Times is within sight distance of your location if you two like chili.  It is what it is and I think the chili is consistently similar to what it always has been.....and lastly Pete's has a longish thread in DR with both pro and con statements.  I was on the con side, but we just had a takeout pizza from there in my office in the last couple of weeks and I thought it far far better than I recalled.  I'd go back to Pete's based on the latest experience.

(all the above are reasonably priced)

Agree with all 3 of these - I was just about to post Kabob Bazaar.  (Get the zeresh polo rice with your kabob.)

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the 4SG lemongrass beef though I agree that it's the weakest mains option.  We usually stick to lemongrass pork over noodles, which is an altogether better dish (unless you're squeamish about slightly fatty pork).  I like getting their pho as takeout "“ they have a clever packing system to ensure that you get a nice hot bowl with proper noodle when you get home and I like the broth, though I'm not a pho connoisseur.  The spring rolls also travel decently for at least 30 minutes.

If you're considering trekking to Courthouse, the current iteration of Ray's Hell Burger is still excellent and fits your other requirements well.

• Like 1

We did Hell Burger last week. :-)

It's obviously out of walking range, but we left the house early with the intent to dine in, and traffic was so horrible (we're coming from MoCo) all we could do was the carryout side and scarf our burgers at the table. That's why we abandoned that plan going forward; drive straight to Clarendon, park, and walk to dinner before rehearsal.

Amsterdam Falafelshop is certainly quick and inexpensive, and close to where you'll be.

I also really like IOTA's food, and I think they're fairly quick, and you may hear the band warming up, which is fun.  (Caveat - it depends on the time and how crowded they are as to whether they're quick! It occurs to me that during happy hour they may be slammed, in which case, no. I've eaten there with my teen, but at off hours.)

On 12/27/2015 at 4:07 PM, DonRocks said:

Clarendon: Where you live when you get your first job, but aren't quite ready to leave college.

Wrong.  For the most part, those people can no longer afford to live in Clarendon proper, though they arrive in droves on Friday and Saturday nights.  The demographic now is largely 27-34, and appears to be somewhat more female than male.  I also think that the men skew a bit older than the women (even after my old arse moved out of the neighborhood).

• Like 3

Sometimes as it applies to the appearance and then rapid disappearance of new restaurants the popular phrase from magic  "now you see it, now you don't" is quite applicable.

Last Autumn, the opening of a new restaurant in Clarendon per the Opening restaurants thread/tally maintained by cheezepowder:

10/26/15 - Brixx Wood Fired Pizza, 1119 N. Hudson St, Arlington, VA 

Website  No thread yet

Per ArlNow...Brixx is now closed.  

Never ate there.  I did look at it though, ;) 

I ate at Brixx when it first opened (being the pizza lover that I am).  Unfortunately I did not like that kind of pizza.  I ordered a margarita, not reading the description.  There is no sauce, just cut up tomatoes with fresh mozz, barely melted.  The crust was more like a cracker, like matzoh.  Actually, matzoh has more flavor.  Never went back.

• Like 1

Never tried the pizza but I would stop in occasionally at lunch for a beer and a sandwich to go.  They had a fairly good draft beer selection.  The sandwiches were passable enough, and I liked the pasta salad side.  I felt bad for these folks.  Every time I asked them how business was going their faces would sag.  It was always empty when I was there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dcs said:

American Tap Room in Clarendon Has Closed, by ARLnow.com — August 1, 2016 at 10:30 am

Like Matuba, it was a block away from the crowds.

Does anyone besides me remember how *great* the crudo bar was at Sette Bello when Tiffany Lee was working it? And I mean, it was just fantastic - my goodness how Clarendon has gone to hell in a handbasket. It was well on its way to being the best dining neighborhood in the DC area, and now it's just about all gone, with Liberty Tavern Group left (almost) all alone to turn out the lights.

Unchecked development reaps what it sows, and Michonne has come-a-callin'.

34 minutes ago, noamb said:

You don't think this is a bit of an exaggeration? There's still Pete's, and (maybe a step down) Kabob Bazaar, Four Sisters grill, Amsterdam Falafel and Northside Social.

It's a bit dramatic, but this isn't the list I'd come up with to rebut it - Screwtop Wine Bar (a brain and a panini press), Artisan Confections (a retailer), Four Sisters Grill (fast-casual counter service), Delhi Club (perishing while the lease expires), El Charrito Caminante (off the beaten path), and Bakeshop (a pâtisserie) are what I'm throw out first, all of which barely qualify as restaurants.

I know people can name any of several other places, some of which are okay, but none of which really impress me.

My point was that Clarendon was on track to becoming something special, and it did a 180 right before our very eyes.

• Like 1

My gut on this is that the prime rental rates in Clarendon have probably increased into the $50-$70/ft range.  Just gut.  I'm not in the market.  I used to be but its been closer to 2 decades since I was closely tracking this kind of info.   I suspect that rental rates were probably in the low $20's/foot at the start of the 2000's.  So any restaurant that had written a 10 year lease with a specific price option or a 15 year lease in the early 2000's is now faced with a huge increase.

New tenants are faced with those rents.  Once you go into the market you have to compete with a lot of local choices...so regardless of your pricing, style etc...its simply tough competitive.  No way around it.

Very simply not every restaurant is a $50/foot or higher rental rate restaurant.  All sorts of things come into play with that, including sales volume, mark ups, staffing costs, etc.  But not every restaurant can afford those rents.  Spaces off the prime should rent for less (and of the few that I have some info on...they have).

Frankly of the places that can afford those rents, some might be fine restaurants with better menus...and some won't be. 

But it is a freaking expensive market.  Will the current pricing change a lot?  I have no freaking idea.  But I do think its a high demand area...so I don't see rental decreases any time soon.

I guess maybe my expectations are just lower. Except maybe Pete's I agree that none of those places is special or impressive. But I don't equate no place that impresses me with going to hell in a hand basket.

How is Green Pig Bistro these days? I haven't been in a long time.

Me Jana is still terrific, but they're really Courthouse rather than Clarendon.

Kabob Bazaar isn't fancy but it's definitely a bright spot of Clarendon dining for me. Always delicious.

I gave my niece a walking tour of the area and surprised myself at how many times I had to say "that restaurant closed recently," and I didn't even know about ATR. 

On 8/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, DaveO said:

But it is a freaking expensive market.

It is largely the rent, but that isn't the only factor. Saturation is the other. The rent is so high for new tenants and those renewing leases, that it limits the type of places that can open up. Startups, independents, small local chains--the kind of places that elevate the dining scene--are priced out at the start, and you are left with national and even giant international chains (Tagliatelle) that turn the strip soulless. It's hard to blame a landlord for getting as much as they can as opposed to looking for an interesting concept, and from the County's perspective the tax revenue is the same either way.

Then there is saturation. This is more among the bar-oriented businesses, I think (ATR was in that camp, recently shuttered Ri Ra and Hard Times as well, of course). I swear the conventional wisdom is open a bar in Clarendon, and you're guaranteed to make cash. The reality is far from true. While we are a mecca for twenty-somethings with good jobs, there are only so many people that can come out every night. With the amount of options in Clarendon, it is impossible for everyone to do well.

I'd also add to the conversation that Boulevard Woodgrill, much as I liked it, had a good run, but it is now dated. Menus and tastes have changed, and it has not evolved. I would guess it has been open 10 years? That's a long run for a restaurant, and now it is being replaced with a well regarded, innovative local success--Ambar. That could easily be seen as a both a natural evolution and a sign of good things for the neighborhood. Granted, it is one example, but it could be great example to offset Oz.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Nick Freshman said:

It is largely the rent, but that isn't the only factor. Saturation is the other. The rent is so high for new tenants and those renewing leases, that it limits the type of places that can open up. Startups, independents, small local chains--the kind of places that elevate the dining scene--are priced out at the start, and you are left with national and even giant international chains (Tagliatelle) that turn the strip soulless. It's hard to blame a landlord for getting as much as they can as opposed to looking for an interesting concept, and from the County's perspective the tax revenue is the same either way.

Then there is saturation. This is more among the bar-oriented businesses, I think (ATR was in that camp, recently shuttered Ri Ra and Hard Times as well, of course). I swear the conventional wisdom is open a bar in Clarendon, and you're guaranteed to make cash. The reality is far from true. While we are a mecca for twenty-somethings with good jobs, there are only so many people that can come out every night. With the amount of options in Clarendon, it is impossible for everyone to do well.

I'd also add to the conversation that Boulevard Woodgrill, much as I liked it, had a good run, but it is now dated. Menus and tastes have changed, and it has not evolved. I would guess it has been open 10 years? That's a long run for a restaurant, and now it is being replaced with a well regarded, innovative local success--Ambar. That could easily be seen as a both a natural evolution and a sign of good things for the neighborhood. Granted, it is one example, but it could be great example to offset Oz.

I agree.  Very well said.  I was searching for a way to describe the competitive situation.  Saturation is an excellent description.  Too many places of one type and they simply divide up the available customer base.  Or one or two places do so much better of a job with that market segment, the others die on the vine. 

And with competition and saturation I agree that it could easily have hit Boulevard Woodgrill.  Its a restaurant that didn't change or evolve.    I think the above is an excellent description of the dynamics in Clarendon.

On 8/3/2016 at 9:44 AM, Nick Freshman said:

This is a good post - actually, its an important post because it describes the situation so well.

Boulevard Woodgrill was open in 2005 when this website was founded - I'd guess it opened sometime around Y2K. 

The problem - and the non-existent solution - is akin to the world of illegal drugs. You can blame-and-attack the supply side (drug dealers), or you can blame-and-attack the demand side (drug users), or you can do a little bit of both; but your chance of success is quite limited unless you're able to change the fundamental values of people and what they desire, and kids just out of college - many of them - want alcohol. It doesn't matter how much money they're making; college (which is still on people's minds) is a great equalizer when it comes to everyone partying in the same atmosphere, and people cling onto that for a few years after it's over.

---

Clarendon Grill (DaveO)

Interesting podcast from Arlnow.  An interview with Nick Freshman (Spider Kelly's, Evantide, and a lot of restaurant experience before them)

Its long (55 minutes).  Timely as part of it covers the closure of a number of Clarendon food establishments that occurred this year.  Gets into a lot of depth about operating a restaurant and elements about the Clarendon scene.

Couple of things I relished:  Use of the word saturation and some description, which Nick has used before (here).  Astute observation (but somewhat nebulous in my experience).  An excellent observation about the draw of other exciting neighborhoods (focused on DC).  Astute, (in my mind). 

As a former leasing agent with restaurants I enjoyed how he described the location for the now closed Park Lane Tavern and how it might be "sold".  Yeah.  I did that work on behalf of landlords and tenants (restaurants).  Oh man.  Regardless of the description or selling language, there is nothing better for an operator than sitting there at busy days and counting the traffic (foot traffic) or auto's or people going to other restaurants.   Than do the same thing down the street, to compare.  The owner SHOULD do it or the agent or the owner's staff.  Its your money.  

Its one operator's perspective and its interesting.

• Like 4