Rosés For Summer

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And we are getting our first 125 cases of Avondale 2006 CS rose in early next week.

Thanks to Jake for previewing this Friday. Very nice at a nice price.

PS- the Pinotage was pretty nice as well. Even mdt liked it! :)

The following are either rosés that I have in stock now, or will have in stock soon, or old favorites of mine which may be ordered.

Dom. du Couron Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2005 (France)

Palama Albarosso Salice Salentino Rosato 2005 (Italy)

Ca’ Del Solo “Big House Pink” Rosé 2005

Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé 2006 (South Africa)

Bonny Doon “Vin Gris de Cigare” 2005

Saintsbury “Vincent Vin Gris” Pinot Noir Rosé 2005

Domaine Guindon, Coteaux d’Ancenis Gamay Rosé 2005 (France)

Joel Delaunay Touraine Rosé 2005 (France)

Francois Collard (Château Mourgues du Gres) Fleur D’Eglantine Rosé 2005

Bryce “Pinky” Rosé of Pinot Noir 2005

Aubert La Chapelle Coteaux du Loir Rosé 2005 (France)

Francois Collard (Château Mourgues du Gres) Les Galets Rosé 2005

Ch. de Roquefort Provençe Rosé “Corail” 2003 (France)

Pascal Lambert Chinon Rosé 2005 (France)

Ch. Valcombe Côtes de Ventoux Rosé "Signature" 2005 (France)

Mas de Gourgonnier, Les Baux De Provençe Rosé 2004 (France)

Les Valentines “Le Caprice de Clementine” Côtes de Provençe Rosé 2004 (France)

Faillenc Ste Marie VDP d’Oc “Rosé des Glacières” 2005 (France)

Andre Florian (Ch. de Manissy) Tavel “Cuvée des Lys” Rosé 2005 (France)

Roblet-Monnot Bourgogne Rosé 2005 (France)

Domaine Charvin, Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2005

Edmund St John "Pinc Froid" 2004 (75% Counoise, 25% Grenache)

Henry Pelle, Menetou-Salon Morogues Rosé 2004 (France)

Domaine du Gour de Chaulé, Gigondas Rosé 2004 (France)

Ch. Pradeaux, Bandol Rosé 2004 (France)

Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé 2004 (France)

Daniel Boulle (Domaine Les Aphillanthes) Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2005

Marc Besnardeau (Domaine Les Grands Bois) Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2005

Michel & Louis Bronzo (Domaine de la Bastide Blanche) Bandol Rosé 2005

Château des Baumelles Rosé 2005

Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy, Terre De Maimbray Rosé 2005

In addition, there are a couple of odds and ends rosés in the store which are older than 2005, and we are currently having a "Rosé Roundup" - all 2004 or older rosés are on closeout. They should all still be drinking okay, but we need the room for the new 2005's. Stop by and see what we have while stocks last! :)

This sounds like a good place to ask a general rose question. Had not been a big rose drinker but recently had a rose epiphany. It was a bottle of 2004 rose from Tavel (don't know the exact name). With eyes closed, the wine almost tasted like a very refreshing and dry red wine. It did not taste like a white at all. I loved this wine.

Then this weekend I had a rose from the Rhone. It was more pink (less red) than the Tavel. It tasted essentially like a white wine. This type of rose was not for me.

Have I stumbled on two types of roses? If so, what do you recommend that tastes like the former?

This sounds like a good place to ask a general rose question. Had not been a big rose drinker but recently had a rose epiphany. It was a bottle of 2004 rose from Tavel (don't know the exact name). With eyes closed, the wine almost tasted like a very refreshing and dry red wine. It did not taste like a white at all. I loved this wine.

Then this weekend I had a rose from the Rhone. It was more pink (less red) than the Tavel. It tasted essentially like a white wine. This type of rose was not for me.

Have I stumbled on two types of roses? If so, what do you recommend that tastes like the former?

Roses can vary according to the grape, the amount of time the juice is left on the skins, and the amount of air the wine is exposed to, among other factors. Tavel is an appellation in the Rhone that is especially known for its roses. Darker color = more time on skins (could be just a day or even a few hours) = usually a fuller, fruitier style. I believe the lighter, drier style may be more traditional in France, especially in Provence; while the darker, fruitier style I suspect is in part an effort to appeal to the export (ie., US) market, though that could be oversimplifying. I'd suggest looking for other roses that show that deep color. Bobby Kacher imports a number of them each year that are of high quality, and the 2005s are now reaching market. The lighter ones tend to be less "fruit-forward," more acidic, and perhaps less appealing at first blush, pardon the pun. :) However, they often have a bit more food-friendliness. (Think salty - olives - and garlicky.)

You might also look for some California roses - Bonny Doon's Le Cigare Gris and Big House Pink are quite nice. Sola Rosa is another good one, made from Sangiovese and Merlot.

Also look for Spanish or Italian roses, though these might be more 2004 than '05 right now. The improbably named 1+1=3 Cabernet Sauvignon Rose from Penedes in Spain is awesome.

There are also some good Cremant de Bourgogne sparkling roses from Burgundy ....

I did a piece a few years back called "Real Men DO Drink Pink!"

Edited to add shameless self-promotion

Also look for Spanish or Italian roses, though these might be more 2004 than '05 right now. The improbably named 1+1=3 Cabernet Sauvignon Rose from Penedes in Spain is awesome.
My wife is nuts about 1+1=3, she insists that we keep at least 6 bottles in the house at any given time (I am in trouble since we are down to 2 bottles, and after tonight we will only have 1 left). They also make a wonderful 100% Chardonnay Cava. My wife's wine fantasy is that they made a Rose Cava.

Of the rosés reviewed in today's WashPost Food Section (can someone provide a link to the article for me?), I have had the 2005 Chateau Guiot -- again last night, by coincidence. It is excellent, intensely flavorful and refreshing. We also like the screwtop, which makes it convenient to pour a quick glass on a hot afternoon :)

As it happens, I had just opened a bottle of the Rosé de Calon last night, and it was lovely. And it paired brilliantly with the goat-cheese ravioli with a light tomato sauce that I made, which was among the best things I've ever made.

Is the screwtop on the Chateau Guiot rosé new for 2005? I had this wine last year and don't remember it having a screwtop. I haven't had the 2005, but the 2004 was very nice indeed.

Is the screwtop on the Chateau Guiot rosé new for 2005? I had this wine last year and don't remember it having a screwtop. I haven't had the 2005, but the 2004 was very nice indeed.

Yes, it is a new feature this year, and a welcome one indeed. Australia has been ahead of the curve on screwtops for fine wines. It's about time for more world-wide use. There's no controversy when they put a screw-top on a rosé--it's meant to drink young and not be cellared, after all.

Yes, it is a new feature this year, and a welcome one indeed. Australia has been ahead of the curve on screwtops for fine wines. It's about time for more world-wide use. There's no controversy when they put a screw-top on a rosé--it's meant to drink young and not be cellared, after all.

Thank goodness for Bonny Doon, too. They put Stel-Vin closures on their Vin Gris de Cigare and Ca' Del Solo "Big House Pink" as soon as they could. If only more wineries would follow their lead.

I am pleased to announce that the 2006 Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé is now available at my store. You read that right - 2006. How's THAT for fresh goods? :unsure:

Special pricing for all DR.com folks, just drop me a PM here or email me at joe@acebevdc.com.

Not a rose, but there are a slew of light reds available from Italy. Country Vintner has Cantina Nales "Galea" from the Schiava Grigia grape grown in Alto Adige and Downey selections has Tocai Rosso from Dal Maso in the Vicenza area. Bot are served chilled and a little fuller bodied than your typical rose. Quite wonderful on a hot summer night!

Poste Brasserie at the Hotel Monaco is offering a plethora of Rose by the glass....i.e. 1+1=3, Vinum Cellars, "Rose,It's Okay!", Saint Andre de Figuiere, and Jen-Luc Columbo!!!

Come check out our patio and bar.....best kept secret in DC

Michael DeAngelis

AGA Poste Brasserie

Just picked up this little rosé from Chilé:

Viña Chocalán Syrah-Petit Verdot Rosé 2005

Around $10 :unsure:

this is a good un - picked up a split case of this and the avondale last week - thanks Joe and nice to meet you in person

I finally found the 2005 Muga Rose´at MacArthur, which I have been waiting for. It's one of our perennial favorites. Very pale color, slightly candied nose. Fresh and crisp--not nearly as fruity and intense as the Turkey Flat we've been drinking a lot of. But it went really well with our dinner of tapas (marinated white beans, jamon serrano, roasted asparagus, olives, yellow cherry tomatoes, pecorino) and shrimp bisque-stew.

If you can find a bottle of Egly-Ouriet Pere et Fils Rose grab as much as you can afford, hell spend the kids college fund, this is worth every penny. Arrow has it from time to time, but it sells out fast. I have a source in New Jersey, again he can barely keep it in stock. But if you see it, buy it.

I drank a bottle tonight with some wonderful triple cream brie from Cheesetique. Hmmm... this is a wonderful rose.

If your rosé needs require bubbles, I'd like to suggest this new offering from the Canella Prosecco folks:

canella_rose_btl.jpg

Fresh and mellow at the same time, a sparkling rosé from Pinot Nero grapes showing fragrance, delicacy and fruit. Combines refreshing zest and the variety’s distinct character and structure, and is particularly versatile with food. Try it at at 6-8° C with fish-based risotto... Also delightful as aperitif.

So you're looking at a 100% Pinot Noir-based brut made in a Prosecco style for under $20. This could be the bubbly bargain of the year. I think that it's really gorgeous.

Yesterday's NYTimes had an article on the new coolness of rosés and Domaines Ott (please, D.O.) in particular.

Just in case you feared rosés might make the trite food list -- here are a couple of the article's last paragraphs:

At twice the price of most rosés, it is far from a bargain, said Lettie Teague, the executive wine editor at Food & Wine. “An expensive rosé is oxymoronic,” she said. “Domaines Ott is good but not so significantly better than wines that are $10 cheaper or half the price.” She suggested that Domaines Ott is “a good wine for those psychologically unprepared to drink rosé, because it’s so beautifully packaged and expensive.”

She recommends Castello di Ama from Tuscany, which sells for about $15, and Muga from Spain, which is about $11.

Perhaps the best thing about rosé is that no matter how trendy it gets, it will never overstay its welcome. When the weather cools, it gracefully disappears.

Thanks again Joe for putting some dry rosé of Pinot Noir in your $5 bin last month.

I am pleased to announce that the 2006 Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé is now available at my store. You read that right - 2006. How's THAT for fresh goods? :)

Special pricing for all DR.com folks, just drop me a PM here or email me at joe@acebevdc.com.

We had a bottle of this at Corduroy this weekend. It was wonderful stuff.

We just got back from the South of France and I may never drink another glass of rose, but for three weeks we lived on the stuff, morning :) , noon and night. Half-liters of rose at lunch ran about the price of a single beer at most restaurants, and served ice cold, helpful during the continent's hottest summer ever. Perfectly quaffable bottles ran about three bucks, excellent stuff ran about six. It's possibly the perfect summer drink.

Crios Malbec Rose from Susana Balbo is possibly, no definitely, the best rose I have ever downed. They do a sustainable growth thing, from a woman vintner, and the label is a representation of her family (really beautiful if you care about that kind of thing-I like a nice label). From Argentina, it has a richness that most roses lack, a strength, almost, that it derives from the powerful Malbec grape. This is a great rose, in that you can drink it at 11AM at the beach for breakfast,, with a light picnic lunch, perfect with fried chicken, fruit, cheese, you name it-and it still holds enough body to drink late into the night if necessary. I have smoked major cigars while drinking this rose-super versatile!

If anyone is interested in some 2004 Henry Pellé, Menetou-Salon Morogues Rosé, please let me know.

I sold out of all of my 2004, and there wasn't any 2005 available, but my supplier has some left and they are closing it out to me.

Regular price was over $20, closeout price is under $10. If anyone wants any, please drop me a PM as I'd have to order it in.

I liked it a lot when I had it to sell. Excellent pinot noir fruit. If you enjoy Sancerre rosé, you will enjoy this.