Rosés For Summer

The Domaine de Fontsainte Gris de Gris from Corbieres (a Kermit Lynch import) 2005 is delish - great acidity, bright fruit and balance, perfect with heirloom tomatoes and basil ...

I got it at Whole Foods P st - can't remember the price, but probably around $12.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2006 Tegernseerhof Zweigelt Rosé is excellent. Seen it a few places, including Connecticut Ave (the place on Q near Dupont Circle) and Whole Foods... about $11. Look for the big 'T' on the new and improved label.
Calvert Woodley currently has it for $9.99. And yes, it's very nice.

Vina Alijbes Rosado, 100% syrah, Spain. Find it, buy it, enjoy it! Just remember, drink well and often. Hint on location of sale, The old whitey's space is selling it, bottle and by the glass.
We had a bottle of this at Jaleo recently. Very nice.

I had an excellent Rose at Corduroy last week, I don't recall the name. However, it was the darkest Rose I had ever seen. It was color of a Pinot Noir (or darker), very interesting wine!
The Celeidh, Rose, Garretson, Paso Robles, 2004 according to the list online. We had the last bottle on Friday night. Very dark, spritzy, but with some tannin. Far more structure than I'm used to in a rose. It went surprisingly well with the soft shell crab.

The Celeidh, Rose, Garretson, Paso Robles, 2004 according to the list online. We had the last bottle on Friday night. Very dark, spritzy, but with some tannin. Far more structure than I'm used to in a rose. It went surprisingly well with the soft shell crab.

That would be it! There was also sediment in our bottle, which is also something I have never seen in a rose. I still enjoyed the bottle.

Hey, Spring is sprung, and I wonder if anyone else has started enjoying a glass of chilled rosé? My favorite so far is 2007 Chateau Suau, a Bordeaux cab sauvignon and cab franc blend. It is bone dry and acidic and refreshing strawberry and watermelon fruit just jumps out of the glass. A real deal--$10.99 is the shelf price at Ace, but you know how it is with our good friend Joe. I enjoyed this wine much more than at least three others I've tried, that cost a lot more.

Hey, Spring is sprung, and I wonder if anyone else has started enjoying a glass of chilled rosé? My favorite so far is 2007 Chateau Suau, a Bordeaux cab sauvignon and cab franc blend. It is bone dry and acidic and refreshing strawberry and watermelon fruit just jumps out of the glass. A real deal--$10.99 is the shelf price at Ace, but you know how it is with our good friend Joe. I enjoyed this wine much more than at least three others I've tried, that cost a lot more.

Stop by Citronelle and have a glass of 2007 Gour de Caulé GIGONDAS Rosé. I also scored some Lauterbach Cellars 2006 Rosé of Syrah, Russian River Valley. Stu Lauterbach made 22 cases of this wine...... ;)

Sorin is nice (the Terra Amata bottling I think), as is Dom. d'Eole. Both around $12 I think. One of the better rose I had last summer was by Chateâu Miraval Côtes de Provence Rosé (2006 last year) - purchased for $17 at Whole Foods Vienna. Really good - it smoked the Tempier a few weeks before it.

I've been liking the Elizabeth Ros'e that I picked up at Total in McLean. It gives you some of that big California fruitiness taste without feeling like you just took a sip of Robitussin. If you know any red-only drinkers, this is a good first step to get them to lighten up, so to speak.

As seen in the Examiner Wine Column last week (written by Cindy Greenberg): Here are a few of my favorite wines that can help you beat the summer heat.

2006 McClean Syrah Rosé, Australia ($18)

This Syrah-based wine possesses a deep color for a rosé, but the sweet cherry and red plum flavors are light and bright on the tongue. Whispers of pepper on the crisp finish make it a great candidate to share with roast chicken or grilled sausages.

NV Cristalino Brut Rosé Cava, Spain ($8)

Alert readers Liz and George brought this lovely sparkling rosé - made from 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Trepat - to my attention a few weeks ago and it has become a house favorite. Beautiful scents of raspberry and cherry on the nose with fresh, clean strawberry and cherry flavors in the mouth, with just a touch of ginger on the crisp, clean finish. The bubbles add a certain festive feel to the wine. I had great success pairing it with fresh fruit tart.

2005 Chateau Clarendelle Rosé, Bordeaux, France ($13)

A delicious rosé wine with bright flavors of strawberry, red cherry and ripe peach that coat the tongue. Its generous mouthfeel and crisp acidity make it a winner with grilled salmon.

2006 Dom D'Eole Rosé Coteaux D'Aix-en-Provence, France ($13)

Provence is where I fell in love with rosés and this wine is one of the reasons why. It is wonderfully crisp and dry, yet delivers loads of pretty fruit flavors - including strawberry, raspberry and melon - on a fresh and balanced frame. Served well-chilled, it needs nothing more than a beach chair and a good book to keep it company.

2007 Domaine Sorin Terra Amata Rosé, Bandol, France ($16)

Made from a blend of grenache, cinsault, mourvedre and a touch of syrah, this dry rosé features strawberry, cherry and watermelon on the nose and on the palate. Hints of spice on the pretty finish give it a little something extra and keeps you coming back for another sip.

2007 Pax Cellars Rosé, Sonoma, Calif. ($23)

While this wine is a little outside my usual price range for rosé, it’s worth the splurge. Its floral bouquet features beautiful red berry fruit scents and hints of violet while flavors of wild strawberry and ripe red plums are supported by bright acidity. The remarkably long finish stays fresh and focused, making it a great match for stronger fare such as grilled bratwurst.

A Spanish winery - 1+1=3 makes a great rose. A little more full bodied than many I've had but still nice and dry. It's the best rose I've ever had. Strong recommendations, I know! :lol:

I would agree, and so did Alan. They make a very nice Cava, and according to their website they have a rose Cava, now if I could only find it.

Could be Rosé time again. I'm wondering if there is still any of the South African Avondale around? It was delicious!

On another South African, and in this case bubbling, note, the Graham Beck Brut Rose is out of this world. This is my brief review of the 2006 vintage from one of the wine review sites; not sure if the 2007 will pack the same adoration:

"...A pale pink salmon with the obligatory pinprick bubbles, this one is a beaut to behold in the flute. Get ready to enjoy a quintessential summer wine, a palate full of ripe summer fruit including strawberry and ripe apricot. Slightly dry and fully balanced, it offers a long-yet-light read more...finish, leaving you craving the next taste. This is summer in a glass, a warm weather treat for your eye and your palate."

It was a little more spendy ($20) but well worth it last year.

Maybe Zora can get a name for us but, if you're ever bopping through Palisades, stick your head into MacArthur and grab a bottle or two of the Rosé from Southern France that they import themselves. It's in the bargain rack up front and, in addition to being quite tasty, is relatively inexpensive, even by Rosé standards.

I recently attended a rose tasting and found a couple of things I loved. First of all, I can second the people who have previously mentioned the U Mes U Fan Tres (1+1=3) rose. I've loved this one for years and every vintage manages to be consistently delightful.

Two others that I have found that I love:

Vina Aljibes Rosado 2008 (Spain) - This rose, made from syrah, has an extremely fruity bouquet and is heavy on notes of fresh strawberry with a hint of caramel. It's also a frickin' steal since I just picked up two bottles for $9.99 each at the P Street Whole Foods.

Monte Castrillo 2007 Rose (Spain) - This one is unusual, it's from Ribera del Duero and it's made with Tempranillo, which is what makes it so special. Wine makers in the region don't really do rose but I'm sure glad they made this one. It's got one of the most amazing bouquets I've ever encountered. I would wear this as perfume. It's super-fruity and lush with a taste that is nothing short of surprising after the bouquet. After a sweet, fruity bouquet the taste is like fresh berries with the acidic tang of balsamic vinegar on the finish. A really unique wine. I found this one at Food Matters in Alexandria, I know it's also available online.

Summer is for patio dining, people watching and pink wine!

PATIO PINK WINE FLIGHTS @ DINO

Starts June 8th & runs thru the summer

This summer, Dino is offering a special flight of palatable pinks for your sipping pleasure. For $15 a flight, you’ll enjoy pours of Latorrai Vin Gris, Lambrusco Pederzana and our exclusive Peter Solva Lagrein Rose. This summer flight is perfect when paired with our small plates, and available even if you’re not sitting outside. (Specific wines might change due to availability)

from an Arrowine email newsletter received today:

This Friday and Saturday come in to Arrowine (sorry, no phone or e-mail orders) to get the fantastic, estate-bottled 2008 Château Jouclary Cabardès Rosé. Yes, this is the same Château Jouclary that makes one of our most popular red wines ever. And, yes, it's just as good. Only it's better for summer because it's low tannin, chillable, and refreshingly full of flavor. It's so good we really want you to try it. To make sure you cantry it, we've lowered the price to $6.99 by the case this weekend only. It's dry and perfect for the warm summer months, why would anyone go to the beach without a case, especially when you can save 30%?

Loving both the Littorai Vin Gris of Pinot Noir Anderson Valley 2008 and the Peter Solva “de Silva” Lagrein Rose Alto Adige 2007 right now. At home, I've been drinking the Austrian Tegernseerhof Zweigelt Rosé 2008 which is a great value wine.

I loved the South African '06 Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rose. Wonder if there's another vintage floating around here somewhere?

Sadly, no.

Sorin is good again this year, of course. And Williams Corner Wine, a Charlottesville-based importer/distributor has a winner with their direct import rose from Domaine Rouge-Bleu.

Sorin is good again this year, of course. And Williams Corner Wine, a Charlottesville-based importer/distributor has a winner with their direct import rose from Domaine Rouge-Bleu.

Too bad about the Avondale, but thanks for the other suggestions!

Thought I'd pop in here because I happen to be enjoying the new vintage of Frick rose. Sadly, moratorium on shipping has gone into effect due to the weather so you can't get it out here anymore. As I drink it, I find myself disappointed I only ordered 2 bottles. B)

I also had a Chateua La Tour de Beraud rose that I thought was very good for the price ($10 at the Wine Source) last year, but I cannot attest to my sobriety at the time that I drank it. I did save the bottle though to make sure I noted it, which says something.

Wow, this thread hasn't been touched in so long, it has dust on it :P

I just acquired an old favorite of mine - The Franí§ois Collard (Cháteau Mourgues du Grès) "Galets Rosés" Costières de Nimes 2013.

I've loved this wine for years, and it now has a new U.S. importer, and tasting it took me back 15 years ago, last month, when I visited the estate.  It is summer in a glass, red wine with its shirt off.  A simple delight, and inexpensive as these things should be.

More info here: http://www.mourguesdugres.com/vins-vignes-languedoc.php?page=vins〈=en&recette_id=&vin_id=65

jYnWcQ.jpg

One of my favorites that I've been drinking a lot of this summer has been the J.L. Wolf, Villa Wolf Pinot Noir Rose from Germany.  I had it first at Screw Top in Arlington - and went back and picked up a half case.

Its the only local place I've found it - and last Friday they hadn't received any more of it.  Hopefully they'll grab some more prior to the end of August.

I've enjoyed the Glen Manor Morales Rose as well...I'm not sure what it is, but I've been drinking a lot of Roses this summer.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I now have a patio to sit outside and enjoy them on B)