"Game of Thrones" (2011-), HBO's Fantasy Drama Created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss

SeanMike

I'm almost finished with season three, and so I'm going to try to avoid spoilers for now.

That being said: I'm not a huge TV fan. I watch some shows, but not a lot, and very few get me emotionally invested in them.

But by damn, am I invested in this show now. I've never loved and/or hated so many characters so strongly on a show, I think. The last show I was this wrapped up in was House of Cards, and there were characters there that made me just kind of go "meh, whatevs, yo" as to their fate.

On GoT, however, I have strong opinions on each character.

And man, does Jon Snow suck.

So I watched the first episode finally.  Basically, this is a soap opera in a boilerplate fantasy setting with lots of explicit sex and violence, and high production values, right?  Should I keep paying $3.99 an episode (high def) to watch?  Am I going to be sucked in?  Because I was enjoying the episode more by MST3K-ing it* then by becoming emotionally invested in it.  Sell it to me, somebody.

*I do that a lot with TV

So I watched the first episode finally.  Basically, this is a soap opera in a boilerplate fantasy setting with lots of explicit sex and violence, and high production values, right?  Should I keep paying $3.99 an episode (high def) to watch?  Am I going to be sucked in?  Because I was enjoying the episode more by MST3K-ing it* then by becoming emotionally invested in it.  Sell it to me, somebody.

*I do that a lot with TV

Can't. I hated the whole first season. Now I watch mainly for Peter Dinklage, who is fantastic as he is in everything, but the rest of it ... actually, it's pretty MST3K-able. (We, uh, also don't pay for it. That might make it more watchable.)