"Star Wars" (1977) - The Epic Space Opera Written and Directed by George Lucas, and Produced by Gary Kurtz

porcupine

No doubt that Star Wars was a seminal film and the very embodiment of space opera, but it was also the start of a long downward spiral wherein "science fiction" [in film, not literature] became synonymous with "action adventure". As someone who loved classic "hard sf", the literature of "what if...?" - of possiblities that sometimes came to pass, like radar or communications satellites in geosynchronous orbits - I really came to resent this conflation of two genres. I mean really, do we need to see Captain Kirk dangling one-handed from a precipice three times in a single film?

It seems I am not alone: How Star Wars Ruined Sci-Fi .

Dude.  Captain Kirk is Star Trek

:)

porcupine, I assume you're talking about Star Wars: The Commodity and not "Star Wars" (19737) which was a singularly great motion picture. If so, a parallel line of reasoning can be found in just about every single thing (not just film, and not just The Arts) made and marketed for the masses. If not, it's similar to saying "His Girl Friday" (1940) is responsible for every mass-market rom-com ever made.

I used to think Jack Kevorkian singlehandedly ruined humanity; now, I realize I was wrong on more than one level.

Dude.  Captain Kirk is Star Trek

No shit.

porcupine, I assume you're talking about Star Wars: The Commodity and not "Star Wars" (19737) which was a singularly great motion picture. If so, a parallel line of reasoning can be found in just about every single thing (not just film, and not just The Arts) made and marketed for the masses. If not, it's similar to saying "His Girl Friday" (1940) is responsible for every mass-market rom-com ever made.

1977.  And yes, I'm talking about what Star Wars spawned, not the first motion picture itself.  I don't disagree with the rest of your paragraph.