Dumplings And Beyond - Homemade Dumplings in the Former Shanghai Tea House Space in Glover Park

Last night I got takeout from a new Chinese spot in Glover Park called Dumplings and Beyond. It opened recently in the old Shanghai Tea House space.  I was seriously blown away.  The dumplings were clearly made in-house and were top notch, the sichuan boiled beef in fiery sauce rivaled (or possibly exceeded) Sichuan Jin River, and the garlic eggplant was out of this world.  I wish I could have tried more dishes. A huge plus - I asked for both entrees to be extra spicy, and they actually did it.

The only gripe I had was that the ratio of authentic dishes to Americanized food was pretty low. (Actually the total number of dishes in general was quite low for a Chinese restaurant) But everything I had was just unbelievably good.  They also had some intriguing Chinese casserole dishes with pork rib and meatballs which will definitely be next on my list.

I would highly recommend trying this place.

Thanks for this recommendation!  We went tonight and all three of us enjoyed it (since one of us is a vegetarian who is not a fan of soy sauce, this is meaningful).  We didn't risk extra spicy the first time out, but probably will next time.  I'm hoping they'll deliver to our house -- the limit is 3 miles and mapquest tells me we're 3.08 miles away.  I can't say that anything blew me away but, expat Californian that I am, I'm typically disappointed by Chinese restaurants in DC and this one left me happy (and eager to try more dishes!).

Morning after addition:  I was surprised and pleased that the made-to-order (steamed) chicken dumplings held up well as a leftover -- which is a good thing since you get 10 (large) dumplings,  (We might have managed them all but for the surprise (Mother's Day) gift of a free order of pork and napa potstickers.)

I went last week for lunch and tried the chicken and cilantro dumplings. The good they are made to order and so very fresh.  The bad they are made to order and took about 25 minutes to arrive when there was only one other order ahead of mine.  I did like the taste, but the dumpling wrapper was a bit thick for my taste. It was similar in thickness to others I've had at other Chinese restaurants so maybe that is just the style. Personally, I prefer very think like in a spring roll or some Japanese shumai.   Also, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't mix and match dumplings (half order of 5 of veggies and half order of 5 of chicken) which seemed odd because they are made to order and the same price, but apparently that isn't allowed.  All of the lunch specials looked to be pretty standrd Chinese-American fare.

Here is the website: https://www.mealage.com/2foodmenu8.jsp?sessionid=1400086320686A68149136191xgfnctaszivtvyiwhptxevadbggb&restaurantId=8042

It has the delivery rules in the bottom right. Looks to be pretty standard - min amount and limited zone. Can't tell from being there or menu whether there is a province. It seems like it is mostly standard Chinese American food but with an expanded, fresh made dumplings menu.

Anyone know the province concentrated on here, and the rules for delivery?

Like Keith said it is mostly standard Chinese American - however there are a few authentic Sichuan dishes hidden in the menu, but not nearly enough to call it a Sichuan restaurant.

Anybody tried the beef with celery dumplings?

They do deliver as far as Friendship Heights.  Their dumplings (usually an order of mixed veggie and one of pork and chives for us) remain a treat, but we've struggled to find main dishes we like.  Yuxiang pork with broccoli has been the only one we're inclined to re-order thus far.

This is hands down my favorite dumpling place in DC. I tried some of their other dishes and they were OK, but the dumplings are really the star of the show. The last time I went I think they tweaked some of their recipes around, or maybe it was just someone else working the kitchen, but the dumpling wrappers were rolled thinner and a bit more delicate, and the wonton soup had strips of seaweed that I didn't remember from my previous times having it. It was all still excellent.

The beef and celery and pork and chive dumplings are probably my favorites.

• Like 1

Ordered delivery from Dumplings and Beyond tonight. I got the wonton soup. Lovely delicate wontons filled with flavorful shrimp. The broth wasn't too exciting but the wontons made up for it. I also got an order of the beef and celery and pork and chive dumplings. They're really good! Beef and celery were a little greasy  but very savory. Celery and pork were just delish. Will be ordering this all again.

Note that their delivery area is technically a 2 mile radius but the manager ok'd delivery to my house near Van Ness 2.2 miles away.

• Like 2

We live close to here and have made it through about half the menu, including all the dumplings, which are definitely the highlight. Chicken's at the top of the list, and the shrimp is a nice change of pace every once in a while -- small whole shrimp, not chunks or paste, very nice. The scallion pancakes are also a big hit in our household with both adults and the toddler. Entrees are most definitely hit or miss, but our regular order is moo shu pork and kung pao chicken, very straight-up renditions in the American Chinese style. Delivery is the way to go as the atmosphere of the restaurant itself is extremely... utilitarian.

• Like 1

Yes, mostly for dumplings, which are the best in the area (DC itself has very few good Chinese restaurants, of course).  I recommend that you order uncooked dumplings and bring them home.  They freeze very well.  The noodles dishes are generally good as well.