Bar Pilar, Cafe Saint-Ex Sibling on 14th and T Street in 14UP - Chef Jesse Miller and Sous Chef Justin Bittner

The new(ish) team in the kitchen seems to be really maintaining the standard set by the predecessors. I've really enjoyed my last few meals there. And I agree with the brunch comments from food.fiend. They won me over with a plate of french toast and bacon ($7) — together, not ordered separate. That's my brunch go-to and to see them paired that way made me smile.

I've been finding myself there pretty regularly lately. Adam's specialty cocktails on Tuesdays are extraordinary, and very creative.

And there are always good dishes coming out of the kitchen. Recent hits from their ever-changing menu:

- Simply anchovies on grilled bread with olive oil. Irresistible.

- Sauteed veal kidneys with bone marrow inside of them.

- Braised calf's tongue a couple of months ago.

- Roasted sunchokes.

- Anything they do to scallops.

I keep coming back here. I love what they're doing lately.

I feel like this place would be getting so much more attention if not for Cork, which I feel is a bit better version of the same concept in the same neighborhood. Either way, the Yellow Fin Tuna 'Gyro', Roasted Beet Salad, and Baby Arugula Salad with sliced prime rib (!) were all extremely satisfying last night, and along with 3 other small plates and 2 glasses of wine for under $60, a restaurant would be hardpressed to beat this price point with the quality they are putting out.

sigh... would you believe the fantastic Tuesday cocktails are only available at the bar?

even if the bar is full?

and even if the people are just *not* moving off their prized stools ever?

and even if you are standing around the bar, but not seated, you still cannot get them? and even if you are seated at a table, the waitress cannot get them for you?

such a sad, sad, world... ;)

not, of course, that everything else wasn't lovely there, per usual, but I oh so much desired one of the special drinks last night...

sigh... would you believe the fantastic Tuesday cocktails are only available at the bar?

even if the bar is full?

and even if the people are just *not* moving off their prized stools ever?

and even if you are standing around the bar, but not seated, you still cannot get them? and even if you are seated at a table, the waitress cannot get them for you?

Are you sure about that? I was seated at the end of the bar last night and saw many people getting drinks that were not seated at the bar. I have to say they were kind of slammed last night (around 9:30), so maybe they were just trying to cut down on the orders. That was my first time there on a Tuesday night, and it was pretty busy....I think that article in the WaPost probably helped add to the the madness.

Are you sure about that? I was seated at the end of the bar last night and saw many people getting drinks that were not seated at the bar. I have to say they were kind of slammed last night (around 9:30), so maybe they were just trying to cut down on the orders. That was my first time there on a Tuesday night, and it was pretty busy....I think that article in the WaPost probably helped add to the the madness.
Same basic idea as sitting in front of Koji at Sushi Ko. Those drinks are labor intensive and there is exactly one man making them. Adam has confided in me on more than one occasion that this is an extremely arduous mission. In that sense, it's almost a shame to see him become so popular. Of course, I'm also very happy for his success.

Still, I feel your pain. You can try an "end run around" and order a Peat Monster Scotch rocks... with dry Lustau Manzanilla sherry, Meyer lemon syrup, fresh lemon juice, an egg white, grapefruit bitters and soda water. See if the waitress bites (clearly a set: insert pun here).

Derek

Same basic idea as sitting in front of Koji at Sushi Ko. Those drinks are labor intensive and there is exactly one man making them. Adam has confided in me on more than one occasion that this is an extremely arduous mission. In that sense, it's almost a shame to see him become so popular. Of course, I'm also very happy for his success.

I agree, and that is what makes it a good thing. All good things take time. This is the same reason I only go to Murky Coffee (in Arlington) to get my cup of joe. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but it shows in the quality of the beverage. Same thing here, my drink was excellent and obviously made with some thought and care into the whole process. I also liked last nights "meeting of the minds", in that each of the 5 drinks was by a different DC mixologist. Good drinks, good food, good atmosphere, and right down the street from the Black Cat. I dig Bar Pilar.

Are you sure about that? I was seated at the end of the bar last night and saw many people getting drinks that were not seated at the bar.
Sadly, that is what I was told by not just my waitress, but by the other bartender as well... I am definitely going to try and go back, as I love the place,and the drinks looked fabulous! I'm just going to go earlier and stake out my bar stool...and never leave... ;)

I agree, though, that the Post article must have had something to do with it... as I don't think it's ever been that busy before when I've gone during the week!

I forget who the number-1 guy is (I think his first name is Justin), but our own Antonio Burrell works in this kitchen now.
Justin Bittner according to this piece on Adam and his fancy cocktails.

Adam told me last night that Justin's been in the kitchen for more than a year now, and Antonio Burrell wasn't the chef.

Adam's cocktails continue to amaze and delight, Bar Pilar has the best chicken liver pate in the city, and it's always a treat to see sweetbreads and kidneys regularly featured.

Still really enjoying Bar Pilar's Sunday brunch... and seem to make it there every week these days. Oh, for good coffee, a nice dimly lit table, sausage biscuits and gravy, and the NY Times.... Oh, wait, can I forget the bacon bloody mary?

Also, the sweetbreads, olives, and oh, I forget what else for dinner a few weeks back were delicious, as were Adam's cocktails that I finally got to try! Yum....

We went to what could arguably be a DC pirate's favorite establishment - BARRRRRRRRRRRR PILARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Scallops were excellent as was the chicken with asparagus and tomatoes. 14 St. is fast becoming a great and easy place to go hang out after work.

Just went to Bar Pilar for the first time on Sunday, for brunch. And, have to say, it was delicious... in that, nice, local, inexpensive walk-in type of way. Which was just what I was looking for. The eggs benedict with homefries was a generous portion for $7, and the sausage biscuits and gravy, with a salad, was even better at $8. Also, the coffee was dark and strong, but not bitter, which is a serious plus in my book. But, to be honest, the best part was the Bacon Bloody Mary. Odd-sounding, I am sure, but absolutely delicious. Warm, crisp, greasy bacon in a spicy bloody mary. What a perfect start to a morning.
This sounds like just what I'm looking for - is brunch crowded? What time do you suggest getting there to minimize a wait (if that's likely)? I'm hoping it will be a non-choice for the Mother's Day crowd, as I suggested brunch on Sunday to a friend, forgetting that most places will probably be packed. My biggest problem will be picking one entree - they all sound good!

We went to what could arguably be a DC pirate's favorite establishment - BARRRRRRRRRRRR PILARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

We're actually a ninja bar. The constant nautical references are deceptive, I know.

is brunch crowded? What time do you suggest getting there to minimize a wait (if that's likely)?

Brunch does tend to get crowded. We open at eleven. Occasionally, it's busy at opening. However, it usually takes about an hour.

We're actually a ninja bar. The constant nautical references are deceptive, I know.

Brunch does tend to get crowded. We open at eleven. Occasionally, it's busy at opening. However, it usually takes about an hour.

Thanks for the info - we'll be there on the early side. I'll bring my ninja accessories ;) . I'm kinda hoping the bulls-eye toast is what I grew up calling an egg-in-the-hole!

This place is really a gem. Had an early dinner there on a cold, dreary day yesterday -- lightly sauteed pea shoots with sour cherries and blue cheese, cream of tomato soup, and Toulouse sausage on lentils with confit. The pea shoots were a welcome reminder that this is, after all, mid-May and not January. The tomato soup was a perfect warm, comforting pick me up. But the sausage dish was truly wonderful. I could actually give or take the sausage, but could eat those rich lentils with the confit all day every day. Fantastic stuff.

I also dined at Bar Pilar twice last week. Needless to say, the food is still great there. The potatoes are crisp and hot: perfect. Dinner and Happy Hour over there is the best value that is competitive and comparable to more expensive restaurants in the city. Bar Pilar is also creating the great gourmet cocktails. It’s a wonderful balance for this city.
Do they have an actual happy hour with specials?

Oh dear... its 10 p.m. and we still need to eat. Who might have a kitchen open where we can grab a bite that isn't just light, but good. Oh, I know... Bar Pilar.

We arrived just as someone was vacating one of the two outside tables. Even though it was late, and the inside packed, service was great and we didn't have to wait for anything. I had a Cava which was really perfect for the first pleasant night we have had in a long time. We shared grilled asparagus which were perfect, and some "exotic" mushrooms which showed me how to prepare the ones I occasionally buy from the market. I had an arugula salad with local strawberries and blue cheese. It was very tasty. My friends all enjoyed there "mains" though they did all seem very small... the soft shell crab sandwich looked delicious and odd at the same time because I swear it was served using good old fashion Colonial white bread. It was also the size of half a sandwich.

Having been to Cork a few times now, I have to say I really prefer Bar Pilar. Tonight really reminded me how great the place can be.

Brunch at Bar Pilar was fine, nothing special. *shrug* I find that the French toast at both Saint Ex and Bar Pilar isn't eggy enough for my taste. Not very soft. Also, Bar Pilar serves weird syrup with it. It isn't commercial maple syrup OR real maple syrup. gnatharobed and I came to the conclusion that it tastes like watery honey.

Not sure where to have brunch now that Colorado Kitchen has closed. :lol:

Brunch at Bar Pilar was fine, nothing special. *shrug* I find that the French toast at both Saint Ex and Bar Pilar isn't eggy enough for my taste. Not very soft. Also, Bar Pilar serves weird syrup with it. It isn't commercial maple syrup OR real maple syrup. gnatharobed and I came to the conclusion that it tastes like watery honey.

Not sure where to have brunch now that Colorado Kitchen has closed. :lol:

Tabard Inn for brunch now that CK is closed.... best French Toast I've had...

Having been shut out of the Tabard Inn, we ended up at Bar Pilar. The hash browns were great! everything else, fine.

Am I the only one beginning to think of Bar Pilar as possibly the most underrated/underappreciated restaurant in DC? I've had so many wonderful, inventive things from that menu that you would expect at much higher-end places, the last two being an absolutely sumptuous pork with crispy skin (alas, not on the menu when I went in this past week) and garlic toast with sunny-side up egg and salmon roe.

Am I the only one beginning to think of Bar Pilar as possibly the most underrated/underappreciated restaurant in DC? I've had so many wonderful, inventive things ....
I've only had the pleasure of two meals there - brunch a month or so back and dinner earlier this week. Both were very good and left me wanting to return soon and often. At dinner it was difficult to narrow down all the great choices on the menu to just a few. We wound up with donut peaches with olive oil and flakes of salt; chard with cherries and some crumbles of blue cheese; lovely fresh tomatoes on a bruschetta hiding a thin layer of goat cheese under them; tuna with a crispy eggplant bite and a pretty plum salsa; and a beautiful perfectly cooked scallop (with some forgotten accompaniments). A cocktail, a beer, and a glass of wine brought the grand total to about $60... such a steal for beautiful, fresh and creative food!

I've been twice within three weeks. The menu had changed after the first visit, I assume to represent the best of what the chef is able to procure. Both times have been excellent. At the price point, I believe Bar Pilar is a winner. Maybe some people are turned off by the bar atmosphere, but I love that I can enjoy such great cuisine even if I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Wandered out for brunch today at 1, happily noted it went until 4pm for those days when i just can't quite make it out of bed until 3. Sadly, the tasty mango mimosa and the crispy bacon and the nummy pancake-scrambled egg-sandwich did not do anything to budge my headache, but I had a good time anyway. Nick got the chocolate-chip pancakes, but the chips were a bit overwhelming. I think he's going to get the pancake sandwich the next time. Not crowded at all today; the lack of crowds is the only thing I like at all about summer in the swamp of DC. *sigh* hello, labor day.

Wandered out for brunch today at 1, happily noted it went until 4pm for those days when i just can't quite make it out of bed until 3. Sadly, the tasty mango mimosa and the crispy bacon and the nummy pancake-scrambled egg-sandwich did not do anything to budge my headache, but I had a good time anyway. Nick got the chocolate-chip pancakes, but the chips were a bit overwhelming. I think he's going to get the pancake sandwich the next time. Not crowded at all today; the lack of crowds is the only thing I like at all about summer in the swamp of DC. *sigh* hello, labor day.

We were here for brunch promptly at quarter after 11 today and were the only ones in the establishment save for the staff. Funny that you should mention it, but my girlfriend got the pancake and we found that the pancakes were actually slightly underfunded with chips, so you must have gotten the batch where the proportions were corrected.

I really enjoyed my eggs benedict for the price point :-)

It's great to have choices about where to go for great adult beverages and nibbles, but still I'm gobsmacked by the value represented by Bar Pilar's small plates. Really good food, at stupidly reasonable prices. Why aren't there more places like this around town, where I don't feel like I have to rationalize the expense?

I'm a sweetbreads fan, but normally that means I merely enjoy them a lot. The crispy sweetbreads here are pretty good to begin with, but the current preparation (with a celery root puree) is totally inspired, making for the most outright tasty sweetbreads dish I've ever had.

We simply ordered one of everything under the "meat" section, and there wasn't a dud in the bunch. I'm not a big fan of kidneys myself, but the other fellas were pretty happy about them. Fortunately, that opened up an opportunity for me to hog the chicken liver pâté.

Dine off the small-plates list, and reallocate the dollar savings toward one or more of Adam's Tuesday night cocktails. You can thank me later.

Brunch today. I really dug the pancake sandwich with scrambled eggs and side of bacon that my friend ordered. I, for one, like the "syrup," which from what I can tell seems a bit like thinned orange blossom honey. Also the pancakes are the pancakes of my dreams. But I would say they are fairly atypical of what most people like in pancakes - I've never really liked them as I always expect something different than what I've experienced. These were fluffier, sweeter and thicker.

The biscuits with sausage gravy made me both happy and concerned for my physical welfare at the same time.

everytime I have been to Bar Pilar it has been obscenely packed. Taking advantage of the Veterans Day 4 Day weekend, I showed up at 6pm on Monday...first person there!

I will second, third...10th...the Sweetbreads, excellent with chantrelle mushrooms. We also sampled the chicken liver pate very nice but they need to give you more bread, we had to reorder bread twice since the pot of pate is so large! Spanish anchovies on toasted bread also excellent. The Sunchokes were merely ok.

This place is a gem.

Saturday night:

Sweetbreads

Lamb Confit

Salmon Roe

All seriously delicious, although I think the lamb confit wins by a nose. Perfect combination of crispy exterior and fallapart interior, and the bed of greens and herb paste on top were perfect accompaniments.

Saturday night:

Sweetbreads

Lamb Confit

Salmon Roe

All seriously delicious, although I think the lamb confit wins by a nose. Perfect combination of crispy exterior and fallapart interior, and the bed of greens and herb paste on top were perfect accompaniments.

Oh yes -- the lamb was truly excellent. I actually went lighter and got the beet salad and the tuna sashimi. The hearty beets and crunch walnuts were fantastic and surprisingly filling. Of course, my sweet tooth started buzzing and I got the massive red velvet cupcake...holy crapola, so good...and I'm not even a big cream cheese frosting fan.

Last night:

duck confit,

sardines,

grilled calimari,

warm olives and

suckling pig.

I thought sardines were a little dry but would readily return and re-order any of the other dishes. The pig had a crispy skin that was almost like a really think topping on a creme brule. If there's a way just to get a plate of the skin on that dish, I would be in heaven. Chased it all down with a few Lancaster old fashioned's.

Made the mistake of not ordering gradually, and instead we ran into the problem of too many plates and too small of a table.

Really enjoyed the braised oxtail with buttermilk mash, and the turnip and potato latke that comes with the duck confit is good enough to be a dish on its own. And yeah, the pecan pie is very, very good, particularly when paired with the Lancaster old fashioned. :P

Do they accept reservation? Or am I gonna have to show up at 4 p.m. on a weekend (like going to Ray's).
I don't think Bar Pilar takes reservations. We usually go early, 6ish, and never have had trouble getting a seat. It's a small place, though, so I wouldn't take a chance at 8:00 on a Saturday night if you're hellbent on eating right away. For the price, it's got to be some of the best food in the district.

Yum! Walked in and thought I would eat anything on this menu. It was hard to make a choice.

Strip steak

Grouper ceviche - could have use a little sprinkle of salt across the top and a teeny bit more acidity

Sunchokes - loved little bits of fried herb

Honeyed carrots

Sweetbreads

Scallops

Prawns - Nummy with the heads on

Lamb meatballs with papardelle - GET THIS. Super delicious al dente papardelle with tender meatballs.... you can't go wrong.

Lemon tart- too sulphur-y, eggy for my tastes...