Bar Pilar, Cafe Saint-Ex Sibling on 14th and T Street in 14UP - Chef Jesse Miller and Sous Chef Justin Bittner

Wow, their menu changes substantially!

From their normal rotation:

Chicken liver pate with grilled bread (reliable 1st baseman) - fantastic liver mousse and they brought us a second plate of grilled bread!

Veal sweetbread (talented short-stop) - wonderful flavor and texture

Roasted suckling pig (steady catcher) - it's good!

Chicken breast puttanesca (the right fielder that doesn't do much) - tender, juicy, but boring (just the way my wife loves her white meat)

Seared scallops with salsify (the 3rd baseman that screwed Madonna?) - my wife happily ate the whole plate

White anchovies on grilled bread (good lead-off hitter) - cold anchovies drizzled with olive oil and lemon juicy

Called up from Triple A:

Braised rock octopus legs (future all-star) - looks like this was cooked with a grill press, the octopus was lightly charred, the flesh firm but still tender. I haven't really had an octopus this good in a long time.

Flatiron Steak with roquefort (good pinch-hitter) - we asked about the flank steak and this and our server commented that this is not regularly on the menu, good enough reason for us to try it. Although the steak is good (cooked medium rare without our input), I would be more inclined to try the more unusual foods on future visits.

This little joint knocks the ball out of the park, and the team doesn't cost much. We had a couple of drinks a piece and dinner came out to about $100. In comparison to Commonwealth, this place is a clear winner to us.

Needing a place to get some drinks and a bit to eat before going to the Lincoln Theater last night, 6 of us stopped in Bar Pilar. We got there pretty early (just after 6 ) and were able to snag one of the larger tables in the back room. We were all pleased with everything - friendliness and efficiency of the staff, reasonably-priced wine, and really tasty food. We had a couple of beet salads, roasted calamari, mussels, a cheese & charcuterie plate (a little expensive for the small servings although everything was first class), scallops and ox tail pot pie. No clunkers in the lot. They are putting out some really good food in a very convivial atmosphere!

I saw synaesthesia put out a strong recommendation for the Pappardelle with Lamb Meatballs above, which is no longer on the menu and has been replaced with Pappardelle Bolognese. Everyone seems to be doing a form of bolognese right now, but I'm inclined to say that this little bowl is second only to Tosca's of the ones I've tried. Not sure if it was a pork/beef mixture or just pork, but whatever it was struck a perfect balance with the creaminess of the sauce and the heartiness of the huge noodles. It made for an awesome dish for under $10.

I almost always get cocktails when I am here, but the Lagunitas Pale Ale they have on tap right now is fresh and delicious.

Kay and I continued or brand new, one week old tradition of a date night with a few derinks and small paltes at Bar Pilar. Adam started us off each with a prosecco based cocktail, mine gin honey and lemon and Kay's something with rum. I think I liked the muscularity of the rum one better but both were good, angular and bracing. We tried several small plates: crispy potatoes which were pretty good with an aioli, sunchoked & roasted walnuts which really were superb and simple, a very nice bluefish on polenta, calfs liver in a smokey bbq like sauce with bacon. This dish was good but I thought the liver a bit over cooked and the sauce a little strong. We also had a toast with a fried egg and salmon caviar which tasted like a list if ingredients rather than a balanced dish. The egg was a little overcooked to my taste, too so there was no runny yolk. The star dish was the scallops with serrano ham & a nice tart sauce. By then Adam made me a Palo Cortado based sherry drink with more gin in it and Kay ahs a dak Neisson Sous Bois rum based drink with loads of sweetness and spice. The sherry drink was nice indeed but the rum drink was a stunner. All in all a delighful hour+ at the bar.

eta: Someone pointed out the even for me surprising number of typos and that I edit them out. I would rather leave them as a testament to Adam's drink making prowess!

I am not a scotch drinker. Have tried and tried, but have never acquired a taste for it. Tonight, Adam made me a drink with not just scotch, but the PEAT MONSTER, and you know what? It was delicious. The guy is a magician. Thanks, Adam, for helping me cross off yet another item on the "Heather doesn't like" list.

The chicken liver pate is still amazing, and the sardines on grilled bread are possibly the best snack ever invented.

I tend not to eat out much around dinner time lately, except for takeout. And so when I have been eating out around dinner time and not stuck at the mercy of others' choices, I always want to go to Pilar. Slow roasted veal with pappardelle and spinach bechamel. These noodles were perfect. Tender and something. Just great.

The veal was surprisingly plentiful and cut in such a way that you wouldn't see the difference until you speared it with your fork. Even so, it was super tender and didn't detract from the rest as I have personally often found veal to do. The bechamel wasn't super spinachy, it certainly made me feel slightly less guilty for the indulgence and murdering sweet baby animals.

black session

darkside: plymouth gin, chinato, peychauds

root: partida blanca, tequila, white port, chartreuse

sketch dude: glenmorangie, lillet blanc, chinato. peychaud, cointreau

post colonial: sea wynde rum, dubonnet, chartreuse, peychaud,

first light: del maguey mezcal, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, maple syrup

cream's theme: plymouth gin, honey syrup, orange juice, allagash white

sleuth: st. remy brandy, carpano antica vermouth, east india sherry, orange bitter

watts for wifey: cazadores reposada tequila, campari, maple syrup, lemon juice, egg

seafoam: peat monster scotch, manzanilla sherry, lemon juice, maple syrup, egg white

sans: st. elizabeth allspice dram, honey syrup, lime juice, cava

dear all,

thank you so much for all the support. it's been an amazing year & a half here at pilar. i will definitely miss it.

love,

adam

Thank you, Adam, for the great Tuesday nights at Pilar. I'll miss you - we'll miss you. You're wonderful, truly.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've never seen anyone work as hard on their last day on the job as Adam last night. It was fun just to watch him making 7 drinks simultaneously for the good part of the time we were there :D .

Everything was outstanding, especially the Post Colonial and the Cream's Theme. My wife and I hope to see you behind the stick somewhere (hopefully as close to our house!) else in the very near future, Adam.

I've never seen anyone work as hard on their last day on the job as Adam last night. It was fun to be there just to watch him making 7 drinks simultaneously for the good part of the time we were there :D

I also don't think I've ever seen someone who looked so much like a happy little kid though too. =D Can't wait to see where you land dude. Thanks Adam!

BTW, Jake mentioned this last night, the bread at Pilar is so perfect for what it's used for - the white anchovies, the sunnyside up egg with salmon roe, goat cheese, conveyance for mussel sauce. Mmm...

It was a sad but delicious goodbye. The relative productivity I can look forward to next Wednesday morning is very small consolation.

For what it's worth, the winner of the "ordered so many sea foams that they ran out" award was my table, but I really enjoyed the first light.

Alex

BTW, Jake mentioned this last night, the bread at Pilar is so perfect for what it's used for - the white anchovies, the sunnyside up egg with salmon roe, goat cheese, conveyance for mussel sauce. Mmm...

I don't think we've been to Pilar without ordering the anchovies - the bread-plus-anchovy combination is just spectacular.

FWIW, I think that last drink on the list should be SMS, not "sans."

Lamb chops-finger licking good

Flat iron with favas and baby carrots

Grilled whole prawns-tasty heads

Yuca fries-cut thicker than I like but damn that's good cilantro aioli

Crispy roasted potatoes with aoili-plate licked clean, nothing more need be said

English peas with onions and herbs-spring goodness

Bite of boudain blanc from the next table over-a taste of what to order next time

Red velvet cupcake-biggest damn cupcake I've seen in awhile, but still not big enough to share

It should be noted that the menu does not necessarily reflect what is being served. We went in hoping for salmon roe with a sunny side egg only to be let down.

The best tacos in town are currently at Pilar. Veal tongue tacos with avocado, thin slices of radish, serrano and cilantro. Instead of the usual slices of tongue, the meat is cubed making for a much more savory experience. I almost debated getting a second order. I also got the roast suckling pig with pickled peaches and radishes. It came with warm puffy pita bread, and the pork was cubed, which I'm not used to. It was a little hard getting everything into bite, but I was really digging the fatty piggie with crisp skin and vinegary sweet peaches. I almost wish it had been a little easier to deal with in taco form. I'm always so happy whenever I eat at Pilar. I would marry Justin Bittner to have him feed me every day, but then I would have 200 extra lbs of weight to deal with.

The best tacos in town are currently at Pilar. Veal tongue tacos with avocado, thin slices of radish, serrano and cilantro. Instead of the usual slices of tongue, the meat is cubed making for a much more savory experience. I almost debated getting a second order.

My friends and I did get a second order! $5 for one taco is kinda pricey, but oh-so-worth-it! The meat melts in your mouth and I dunno what goes into the sauce but it should be served with everything.

I also enjoyed the grilled sardines thoroughly. Unfortunately, there were no sweetbreads on the menu (or my eyes skipped over it).

I have been to Bar Pilar twice in the last week. The food continues to be great, sometimes even amazing, but damn, if the service doesn't tend to suck. This is true whether it's a quiet Sunday night or early on a Saturday night. Some of the staff members just don't seem to care.

Food highlights: crispy potatoes, country sausage with gravy, spiced pickled carrots, corn soup with cilantro and a nice kick from chiles (I forget what kind) and raspberry streusel pie with the best vanilla ice cream I have tasted in a long time.

Bar Pilar's value is also a huge selling point for me.

I have been to Bar Pilar twice in the last week. The food continues to be great, sometimes even amazing, but damn, if the service doesn't tend to suck. This is true whether it's a quiet Sunday night or early on a Saturday night. Some of the staff members just don't seem to care.

This has been the #1 reason we haven't been back as much since Adam left. I don't understand why it is so hard for 4 people + a runner or two to adequately serve people in this small space. Last time we were in we enjoyed the food and drinks we had a lot but left annoyed because we were made to wait unreasonably long for pretty much everything.

This has been the #1 reason we haven't been back as much since Adam left. I don't understand why it is so hard for 4 people + a runner or two to adequately serve people in this small space. Last time we were in we enjoyed the food and drinks we had a lot but left annoyed because we were made to wait unreasonably long for pretty much everything.

me too! the last couple of times i went there the service was just awful--in one case, we were at a table and mostly just having drinks, and as our glasses got low the server unceremoneously gave us our bill without asking if we wanted anything else etc ( i guess she wanted to turn over our table!!) and another time, i was brought, and charged for, a drink when i didn't order one. and yet another time the food took forever to arrive. and-and maybe it was just the times i visited-but maybe it seems a little less clean, a little more sticky than it used to?

such a shame as i used to go there absolutely all the time.

The such tragic service liabilities are intentional. It weeds out those whose time is more precious than others’, whose company is unbearable to talk to and are just as inconvenienced by having to wait for public transportation.

Lasts was no different than any other casual visit to what is essentially a bar (tavern license perhaps) that happens to offer exceptionally savory, streamlined food from a minuscule kitchen and decorated with enough bric-a-brac to keep this tolerant simpleton distracted from the clock. Chicken liver & toast, merguez “hot dog” and calf’s tongue sandwich were noteworthy.

The such tragic service liabilities are intentional. It weeds out those whose time is more precious than others’, whose company is unbearable to talk to and are just as inconvenienced by having to wait for public transportation.

Lasts was no different than any other casual visit to what is essentially a bar (tavern license perhaps) that happens to offer exceptionally savory, streamlined food from a minuscule kitchen and decorated with enough bric-a-brac to keep this tolerant simpleton distracted from the clock. Chicken liver & toast, merguez “hot dog” and calf’s tongue sandwich were noteworthy.

I just had dinner there and the service was absolutely fine tonight. The chicken liver was excellent, the corn soup superb, very good country sausage with mash...

However, the NOISE level is very high and by 8:45, it was too noisy for us after two pleasant hours of dinner. I noticed that the background music was cranked higher several times after 8 pm....

Thirding the love for the chicken liver + toast. There was no calf/veal tongue option (sad!) so we settled for head cheese. Good stuff. Duck confit and cremini on toast could've been a bit more flavorful but were generally decent. Roasted potatoes weren't crispy enough, though I did like the aioli very much.

Anyone ever had the fried chicken here? We were super-excited to see it on the menu, but it was already sold out by 8:00.

I had a distressingly bad meal tonight at Bar Pilar. Let's start with the draft beers, six of them - all six teetering on the verge of being uninteresting: Brooklyn Lager, Lagunitas Pils, Bells Porter, Magic Hat #9, Peak Organic IPA, and Allagash White. Several years ago, this would have been considered an interesting list; not any longer.

But the food this evening wasn't just uninteresting; it was the worst I've ever encountered here. I got what I thought were three of the most intriguing things on the menu: Mustard Marinated Grilled Sardines ($9) with olive oil, lemon, and sea salt; Crispy Roasted Potatoes ($7) with malt aioli; and All-Day Roasted Pork Shoulder ($10) with garlic trencher.

I got the order of sardines at the same time as the potatoes, hoping to save the second half of the potatoes for the pork shoulder (which I ordered shortly after the first courses arrived). The sardines were mushy and over-grilled - there was nothing particularly "wrong" with them, but for $4.50 a fish? I'll pass. The potatoes seemed reheated, and were saved by the somewhat interesting aioli which distinguished them from La Tasca patatas bravas. Then came time for the pork shoulder. I waited, and waited, and then at 7:05 I promised myself that if the dish didn't arrive by 7:10, I was going to ask for the check. Unfortunately, it arrived at 7:09:30, with steam roaring off the pork, which was fibrous and dry, and had rudely deposited a pool of moisture on the plate below. If this wasn't microwaved, then I would suggest that Bar Pilar reconsider their cooking method, because they could get the exact same result in less time. If it was roasted all day, I'd love to know on which day. The trencher itself was plated first, and probably (re-?)heated in the oven, because it was fairly crispy and not at all bad.

It isn't often that I leave a restaurant miffed, but having been to Bar Pilar 5-10 times in the past (probably towards the upper end of that range), I was so crestfallen by this meal that I didn't know what to think. A bad night? Maybe. Chef on vacation for two weeks? More likely. A complete decline and free-fall? Sure seemed that way, because it would be difficult for any kitchen - even a kitchen dependent on one great chef - to put out food this poor when they've produced such consistently good dishes in the past. Not unless something has fundamentally changed.

This meal was so disappointing that it will be difficult to consider returning here unless someone assures me I'm off my rocker. There are countless restaurants in the area putting out better food than what I had tonight. So what has happened to Bar Pilar?

Cheers,

Rocks.

The sardines were mushy and over-grilled - there was nothing particularly "wrong" with them, but for $4.50 a fish? I'll pass.

Last I had heard, Sardines come into the country, from Portugal, on Thursdays..I don't know if that is still the case, but I wouldn't order Sardines on a Wednesday night until I knew for sure.

This meal was so disappointing that it will be difficult to consider returning here unless someone assures me I'm off my rocker.

two sundays ago we had a really nice meal here, which was a bit surprising because a month or so earlier we encountered some disappointing food, including greasy, chewy, fatty steak. (also, i often wonder about restaurants not functioniing at their peak during sunday dinners, especially if they serve popular brunches.) the pork shoulder was one of the things we recently ordered and it was easy to believe it had been cooking all day, as we were told, falling apart at the touch of a fork, not what you describe, and an antidote to the curious disaster we encountered at blue ridge and may never forget. green beans were perfect, shriveled by heat to gather their flavor, yet firm. a plump lamb hotdog was fun, served with an assertive mustard. i'm already hazy about the dessert, a napoleon engulfed by a loose apple butter and cream pudding with a line of caramel running through it. it was one of the best desserts i have encountered recently.

i feel like i'm off my rocker quite often when i order things at restaurants that sounded great when i read about them and then turn out to be disappointing by the time i get to them. (todd kliman this week cited weak drinks as a deficiency of las canteras, a restaurant he has been pretty high on lately. our drinks were just the opposite.)

thoreau wrote something about never walking down the same path twice, and in my experience this applies to restaurants big time.

This meal was so disappointing that it will be difficult to consider returning here unless someone assures me I'm off my rocker.

My last meal there was bad. The details are fuzzy because it was a few months ago - but one thing I remember distinctly is the dish of radishes. I love radishes, and even more love radishes on bread and butter. The plate came with (I kid you not) about 6 razor thin slices of radish. It wasn't even a whole radish worth of slices. And it wasn't a fancy, exotic radish, either. Just a plain white fleshed radish, the kind that come packaged in a bag at Safeway for $2. I don't remember what the plate cost - probably only $4 or $5. But even for that price, you shouldn't have to cheap out on the star ingredient. I seem to recall, too, that we complained to each other about the roasted potatoes - but I can't remember if it was a quality or quantity issue. We left very sad, and took the green line to Penn Quarter, on our way home, for cupcakes to relieve our grief.

I was last at Bar Pilar on Wednesday, May 5, and the restaurant was as good as ever. Service was, at times, a bit slow, but that is not unusual for Bar Pilar on a busy night. I can't remember exactly what we had, but I believe we had the anchovies on grilled bread, the frisee salad, the roast pork, the halibut ceviche and at least one other item. It remains one of my absolute favorite places in the city, and my wife and I attempt to eat there every time we see a show at either the 930 Club or the Black Cat.

I wish I had read this thread BEFORE stopping in at Pilar last night for a few drinks and nibbles. Or at least the last few posts.

To begin, is there really no host or hostess, as we were told? And the second time I approached the server who had told me that, she basically ran away from me without saying anything. Nice.

Anyway, after about 15 minutes, using high-quality hovering skills, Significant Eater and I were able to snag two seats at the bar. Nice enough. Asked for a Manhattan and an Aviation. Tender asked me what goes in an aviation? Switched to 2 Manhattans. Free-poured and shaken and too much rye (not necessarily a bad thing?). I guess the bar program has taken a plunge (or all the bartenders are in NYC at the MCC).

The food came soon enough. We liked the roasted mushrooms and the frisee salad (though the egg was overcooked).

The lamb dog, while a good idea in theory, was pretty bland, even after setting the superfluous giant hot dog bun aside. Mustard was great, but who the hell serves minced shallots (raw) as an accompaniment to anything except maybe my mise en place.

The pork shoulder has been written about above. Ours was in between the two extremes previously stated (bad and good). It was okay, but once again I don't understand the idea of serving it on grilled bread. Better to serve it on a roll that tastes like the hot dog bun, and call it a day - maybe with a side of slaw...or some of that mustard for flavor.

The best dish of the night, and our last to be served, was the fried chicken. Nicely crisp and somewhat juicy, and almost a surprise after some of the other "entree" like dishes. Also, served with a tasty potato salad and a couple of pickle slices that were quiti tasty - they'd also go well with the pork shoulder, lamb sausage, etc.

Guess who has tapped into a keg of Hopslam they've been apparently hoarding secretly since the days when 90+ degree weather sounded like a good thing? Unfortunately, when I asked the bartender how long he expected it to last, he said it was pretty much on its last legs, so get over there quickly if you want a last glass...

Guess who has tapped into a keg of Hopslam they've been apparently hoarding secretly since the days when 90+ degree weather sounded like a good thing? Unfortunately, when I asked the bartender how long he expected it to last, he said it was pretty much on its last legs, so get over there quickly if you want a last glass...

D'oh, stopped by Estadio around that time after a meeting & it was packed. Should've walked that direction to enjoy some Hopslam instead of heading home :)

While I guess pig's ears and blood sausage don't really count as offal, they were both on Bar Pilar's offal happy hour menu last night. It was the first time I'd ever tried pig's ears, so I have no other experience to compare them to, but they were distinctively piggy in flavor, with a nice balance of chew and crunch (though perhaps more of the former than the latter). The blood sausage was fantastic, really flavorful and the casing had a perfect bite to it. It was served on a rich bed of whipped potatoes. Old standbys of marinated anchovies on toast and fried chicken were the same quality (good) as they always are here.

Some people have talked about a decline in the quality of the food. I haven't really noticed it...maybe a bit, but it's still not hard to put together a really delicious, well-prepared meal here. One thing I will say though is that for a bar with often good to very good food, there's really nothing very exciting to say about their beer, wine, or cocktail programs.

The Serrano benedict continues to be my favorite brunch dish in the city. Split a side of pancakes last Saturday, found them fluffy and delish.

Ginger mimosa also rocks my socks off, but at $9 (a dollar, maybe two, less than the food offerings) I have 0-1 (instead of the 2-3 I would have if doing so wouldn't double my bill).

Has Bar Pilar fallen off everyone's radar?

Stopped in for an early bite before a show at U Street Music Hall. At 6:30 on a Saturday no problems snagging a table downstairs.

Spanish white anchovies on grilled bread ($8) - Two thick slabs of bread topped with about 5-6 anchovies per slice. Excellent, could eat this every day.

Pate special ($5) - Forget the exact make up of this pate, but solidly tasty with house made pickles and small crostini. For $5, a solid caloric investment.

Mushrooms with butter braised leeks ($8) - A good assortment of mushrooms, well cooked. The butter braised leeks were excessively salty.

Panzanella ($6 range) - Cherry tomatoes, toasted bread, heri covert, brocolli. Another solidly good dish.

Roast beets with goat cheese and greens ($6 range) - Beets and goat cheese were great, greens lacked bite and dressing was not assertive. But a decent dish.

Flourless chocolate cake with Thai coconut ice cream ($8) - Cake was excellent, ice cream had that overly fake coconut flavor of suntan lotion...not good and nothing Thai about it.

Three Dark n' Stormies ($10) and a glass of wine ($8) and we were in for about $80

Other than some missteps here and there (salty leeks, bland dressing on the beets, not good ice cream) all the food was good-very good, and I would order any of the dishes again. The "small plate" sizes at Bar Pilar are surprisingly large...they do not suffer from the downsizing that seems to be rampant at other small plate restaurants.

The "small plate" sizes at Bar Pilar are surprisingly large...they do not suffer from the downsizing that seems to be rampant at other small plate restaurants.

Couldn't agree more -- a real gem in the rough. We should keep a running list of "small plate" places that avoid the downsizing trap. If my recent experiences are representative, it's also a virtue of Izakaya Seki, the revamped Jaleo, and most (but not all) of the dishes at Cork.

Funny you should ask - it was just pointed out to me that I didn't have Bar Pilar listed in Italic (it always was in the past, and I don't have a good reason why it's not now). All I can think of is that my most recent visit (well over a year ago now) might have disappointed me, but this just doesn't seem correct.

Great review and prompts me to get back in there ASAP.

Eh, you know what? I trust you and Marty's recent reviews more than I trust my own memory on this one. Raised once again.

It's been quite a while since I was there, but Tom Sietsema dissed it recently on one of his chats (life is too short to try and find the quote)--recommended it for cocktails but not the food. Wasn't there a fairly recent change in the kitchen?

It's been quite a while since I was there, but Tom Sietsema dissed it recently on one of his chats (life is too short to try and find the quote)--recommended it for cocktails but not the food. Wasn't there a fairly recent change in the kitchen?

It might prompt a (conservative-biased) downgrading by me if Justin Bittner left, but did it happen? I can't remember, but I don't think so. I wouldn't have downgraded it solely because of Tom's comment.

Really glad to read a positive review of Bar Pilar. They recently went through a big renovation and expansion, and I'd feared a quality decline as they have to serve many more customers now. I went right after they reopened a few months ago and had just an ok meal, but at that point they'd had very little time to get used to the new space so I didn't make much of it.

I haven't heard anything about the chef leaving.

I wish Justin would chime in here and clear things up.

Cautionary Note: Don, please don't put too much stock in my rave, because I was last there several months ago. I'd be surprised if things were significantly different now under Justin Bittner's watch; but if he has recently left then my assessment is surely obsolete.

I was there last week and things were as enjoyable as the last time I visited (which was way too long ago).

Simple and seasonal is still the standard on the menu and provided some very delicious bites. The tail end of summer's bounty included fresh peaches and a summer vegetable saute with wax and green beans, yellow and green squash, and herbs. An old favorite - heirloom tomatoes with goat cheese and pecorino on grilled bread - was just as good as I remember. Grilled calamari with a tomato basil sauce were well cooked, with a nice (not rubbery) chewiness. I may have forgotten a dish (maybe my dining companion will chime in). I also enjoyed the subtle hint of honey in the Bee's Knees cocktail (gin, lemon juice, honey syrup).

I'm looking forward to heading back and checking out the upstairs space. On a Thursday evening there was plenty of space at the bar and downstairs tables.